Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Daemonic Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Cobra's Scratch Built Nurgle Army (Pic Heavy), And maybe a few other things.
CobraCommander
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 07:51 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,717

So I finished up the back and blam!

user posted image
Strangest urge for a cinnamon bun right now...

As soon as I finished it, I was immediately aware that something was "wrong" with it. At first I thought I messed up on the right side, but after asking a few of my roommates on which one looked better, they all pointed to the right side being the better of the two. Which affirmed my believe that the right side looked "right" and it was just the fact that the left side was "wrong" which made it look wrong in the first place. Now with the left side pretty much hardened, I have to now figure out what to do about the left side to bring it on par with the right...I kind of dread the fact I may have to file it all off, which would take quite some time if I was careful, and if I went too fast I run the risk of nicking which I'll then have to fix afterwards...

FUUUUUUU...
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
Lord Tremendous
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 11:26 AM

Bloodletter

Member No.: 3,065

Bah, Again we come back to the symetry of a Nurgle model! Nurgle is about as un-symetrical as they come AND with the left side a little off that makes for a perfect place to put a large gash, a slumbering nurgling, maybe some poor souls arm and leg hanging out of him or "stuck in the fat rolls" if you will. The options are endless.

In my opinion, its the "mistakes" that are going to add to the "Nurgle-esque-ness" of this GD.

Personally I'm still loving this project and look forward to more progress! biggrin.gif

-Tremendous

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
zhambah
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 12:35 PM

Plaguerider

Member No.: 2,906

that bum needs some cottage cheese... which you will probably do with green stuff... but just saying
CobraCommander
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 01:13 PM

Horror

Indeed Zhambah, I too think it could use more "cottage cheese", that's what I was hoping to achieve with the initial sculpting but it seems I am going to have to try for it in the greenstuff phase.

I would agree with you LT that symetry can be a little relaxed when it comes to something like Nurgle, but it doesn't mean I want the model to suffer for doing a half assed job in some areas. I think the back folds would have just bothered me too much if I didn't do something about it. Which is why I kind of went a little overboard last night.

So I attempted to "cheat" in order to fix the left side back folds. Rather then removing them and restarting I tried to just add more in hopes of mimicking the other side... Which failed horribly, and I only achieved making it look worse. In a fit of ire I took sculpting tool (again read butter knife) to the folds and began carving them off. I'm happy to mention I was still careful enough to not hurt the model over all, and I was sweating bullets a majority of the time, but like pulling off a bandaid it was quick and painless. Now I must locate some sandpaper and remove the remainder of what is left over and start anew. Will post pictures when I'm finished.

COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
CobraCommander
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 06:32 PM

Horror

So... I "fixed" the problem.

user posted image
Still feeling that urge for a cinnamon bun...

I use "fixed" rather loosely. It somehow got a little more chunkier then I would have liked, but I feel it is at least closer to appearence to the right side then previously, so I shall keep it for now. I'll probably have to do more work on in when it comes time to smooth everything out, so until then I shall leave it. I'm also flirting with the idea to maybe hang a piece of cloth over it in an attempt to cleverly hide the glaring difference between the two, maybe the remainder of some robe he once wore or something.

And with that I think I may take a little break for today. Maybe play some Minecraft or something. Next step? I'm not sure. Like I've mentioned before I've been avoiding work on the feet/arms mostly because I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle them. Sadly I may have to just bite the bullet and begin construction, in which case it'll probably be the feet, which will also probably be contructed using Greenstuff. When I finally begin work on the arms, I hope I can hide some of the more glaring flaws with the left back folds with the arm, since I've come to the decision that the left arm will be hanging casually, while the right arm will be outstretched, or raised into the air probably holding some kind of flail or staff me thinks. Anywho.

Minecraftmode activate!
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
CobraCommander
Posted: May 4 2012, 01:12 AM

Horror

I have returned with avengence!

And a foot...

user posted image
[vanity]A cookie for whomever notices something neat...[/vanity]

And

user posted image
This is how much space I have to work with...

Well, it looks... Alright I guess. A little earlier, it kind of looked like he had some kind of weird duck foot, mostly I think because his...I dunno "upper foot area"? stuck out quite far from the base of the leg, even after I trimmed quite a bit off of the tip before beginning work on the toes (Kind of like clipping one giant toenail).

How To

I began constructing the toes by making a general foot shaped blob (look at your foot and imagine it without any toes. That's what I made) and stuck it to the bottom of the shin, and pulled the Greenstuff (or rather Brownstuff I guess) back and up over the calf area, and then began melding the sides of the foot into the base of the lower leg. It did take some time for me to get it "just right" considering the more I tried to make it look like a seamless merge between the foot and the calf, the less of a heel I had to work with when I was finally finished, so I was forced to add a little bit more Brownstuff (read used "giant toenail clippings") back to the heel once finished. Afterwards I began construction on the toes.

Now, my original idea was to just craft each once individually so I could get them to look just right. Unfortunately that whole "duck foot" look came to bite me in the ass and I realized it'll look too outstretched if I tacked on some toes to it as well. So with this little problem I went and checked out the Forgeworld GUO and came to a slight breakthrough. (It also would have helped if I actually had had any kind of "sculpting a foot" tutorial infront of me when I began working) So I went and got a hold of a hairclip (I believe that's what they're called) and, using a pair of modeling clippers, seperated a portion of the... Again I'm going with "upper foot area"... And then used the hairclip (after I bent it into a kind of a V shape) to fully seperate it from the whole and began poking and shifting until I had an individual toe. Rinse and repeat, getting a little bigger as you get towards the big toe.

Again, I'm plagued with what to do about the base. He isn't actually attached to the base, I stuck him on it for two reasons. One, was to see how much room I'd actually be able to work with if I did just stick him right to the base (although, I think I would shift him so his foot is almost on the edge of the base instead of where it is on the picture). And two, was to be able to flatten/curl the toes so it would look more natural given his posture. Unfortunately I still can't think of a way to give me more real estate to work with. Anybody have any suggestions they'd like to thorw out? I'm all ears.

Phew
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
holtkmoq
Posted: May 4 2012, 02:04 AM

Horror

Member No.: 3,109

I have been holding out for more pictures here and I was quite excited when I saw the little red icon next to this thread tongue.gif

With the foot, I feel like maybe it should be a little "fatter" looking. I would maybe make the foot a bit higher as it feels a bit flat at the moment, helping get rid of that duck look. Looks like you have gotten rid of that anyway.

As for the base, I would go along with whatever you had in mind for the rest of the army, if you had gotten that far yet. I really have no ideas about it sorry tongue.gif

O and that something neat... is it that your thumb looks very similar to your GUOs boobs? or that 7 toes is going with Nurgles number of 7? Taking a bit of a risk saying that but I'm sure I remember reading something about chaos gods numbers years ago.
God of war
Posted: May 4 2012, 02:48 AM

Bloodcrusher

Member No.: 1,570

Hi there Cobra!

Nice work up to now. Only thing, for the moment , is that the foot looks indeed a bit flat and the leg just above it, looks like a pants. My suggestion, if I may (I'm a total newb when it comes to sculpting) is too fatten the foot and blend it into the heel.

On the base: I wouldn't go to elaborate as the position and size will give you problems otherwise. Perhaps a puddle of filfth with some yellowish bubbles, some dead grass, a tree trunk or some nurglings?

Hope that helps!
God of war
Posted: May 4 2012, 03:02 AM

Bloodcrusher

Hi there Cobra!

Nice work up to now. Only thing, for the moment , is that the foot looks indeed a bit flat and the leg just above it, looks like a pants. My suggestion, if I may (I'm a total newb when it comes to sculpting) is too fatten the foot and blend it into the heel.

On the base: I wouldn't go to elaborate as the position and size will give you problems otherwise. Perhaps a puddle of filfth with some yellowish bubbles, some dead grass, a tree trunk or some nurglings?

Hope that helps!
CobraCommander
Posted: May 4 2012, 07:26 AM

Horror

A few things.

@holtkmoq

Oh you made me laugh! I literally burst out laughing when I read the thing about the thumb. Just, I don't know, struck a cord. It's so true! Which, I guess could say something about my sculpting ability. tongue.gif

You did in fact hit the nail on the head though with your later comment. I was hoping with something as...Important? Connected to? the Chaos God Nurgle as a greater daemon is, I figured representing His favored number would be appropriate.

@God of War

I will agree that the foot looks rather "flat" at the moment. Although the "leg looks like pants" comment is slightly lost on me. I mean, I double checked and tried to see what you were speaking of, and the only conclusion I came to was that the front of the leg (the area directly touching the...Again I'm going to have to go with "upper foot area") does look a little "flat" as well, with less structure, and curvature then say, the right side of it, as shown in the first new picture I've posted. Fear not! For that is simply work that has yet to be completed. Over the little while I've examined the new foot and wondered what I could do about it, the better idea I've come up with would be to add to the top of the "upper foot" while at the same time adding creases onto the top of the foot where the...I don't know. Muscles? Tendons? would be? Basically, take off your sock and look at your foot. Then point your toes upwards and you'll notice things pronounce themselves out of the foot. I'm going to try to create that hopefully.

The only problem I can see this causing would be the fact that the leg fat is supposed to be folding over, onto the foot. By adding another layer to the existing foot, I may make the foot "sit higher" then the rolling fat, which would just look weird.

Musings

So I may or may not have come to the conclusion that the base may have to just be left alone. I would like to add something to it, to tie it into the model as a whole, but if it comes down to it, and I have to sacrifice "awesome detail" on the base, for overall ease of working with the model, I may have to, and I'm fine with this. What I would like to add to it, either something like a stagnent pool of liquid, or maybe some Nurglings dragging down a victim (if I have the room) would be fine. I was hoping for something like, climbing over a chariot, or some section of building he's managed to bust in to, or even stomping over a shield wall. But I don't think I'll be able to pull that off unless I would have built the model specifically to portray that scene to begin with. Also, if anybody ever wants a picture at a different angle, I'm totally willing to oblige, just say the word.

I'll just have to sleep on it I guess. It's about 5:30am, and I should probably go to bed. I will try and fix the foot the next time I work on it, and I look forward to reading replies when I wake up. Thanks everyone. The positive comments really help move the project forward.

Bedtime engage!
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
God of war
Posted: May 4 2012, 02:56 PM

Bloodcrusher

Good night and keep up the good work. I'm anxious to see how you progress!

Greetz, Bjorn.
CobraCommander
Posted: May 7 2012, 12:20 PM

Horror

Hey guys, just a little update for now.

user posted image
And this little piggy went!...Wait, what?

A few comments came up on the flatness of the foot, which I agreed with. Like usual I sat and stared at it for a while trying to figure out what to do about it, and I came up with this. The picture could be a little misleading I suppose, again all of my pictures are taken simply with my phone. Surpisingly they turn out well most of the time. I attempted to fix the problem by rolling up some very small sausage shapes and adding them just behind each toe. Again, if you look at your foot and point the toes upwards a little you'll notice tendon... Muscle... Things pop out, and that was what I was going for. After finishing those, I took another long piece and stretched it out over top of the sausages and merged the strip with either side of the foot, then using a tool (read hairclip) gingerly pressed the strip down inbetween each sausage. It looks a lot better then before.

user posted image
I guess he can't claim disability anymore... Also, this picture looks bad. I'll try to upload a better one next update.

After finishing up the first foot, I figured what the heck and finished up the second, so now for the most part I can position him on the base at least. This foot is only in the first phase, so will probably be getting the same treatment once it's hardened. Not quite sure how I feel about the look of the foot overall. I was going for as if he was picking up his foot to take another step. I kind of feel the bend should be a little sharper, but he is a big fat rotting daemon, so maybe it's just me. Also I'm not sure about the heel. It was smaller before, but I added a more to that area once I noticed. Still not sure if it looks right.

Now all that's left is to let it harden and finish the foot. Then?! I'm not sure. I think I may start the head, since it'll be easier for me to work in that area without arms and shoulders getting in the way. I imagine I may have to take maybe a dremel to the neck area to give the head somewhere to sit once it's finished, and I'll probably give the head a little bulb at the bottom to be able to sit in there easy enough. I kind of want to give him a bit of a hunch, but that may be too much what with his hunched posture already.

Also! A member of my gaming group was kind enough to "donate" his "Screaming Peasent" from the plastic Giant kit. He stands about to the big guys knee, which is a good proportion I think. I've got an idea in mind for this guy. Welp, I guess I'll sit and watch a movie waiting for my foot to harden.

couchmode activate!
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
holtkmoq
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 02:27 PM

Horror

Member No.: 3,109

That foot looks much better now that it doesn't look flat at all. Any updates since May 7th?
Hulabell
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 05:00 PM

Bloodletter

Member No.: 2,958

Superb modelling skills here!

I could be waflfing here... but I hope it helps you!

I think that you are having trouble with the foot, because it seems to be lacking some porportions. smile.gif He needs an arch in his foot, especially so if he is picking his foot up to walk, his toes onto the ground for support. Being as heavy as he is, he may also have a bulge on the top of his foot, which can help give a perspective of supporting the foot.

If I had my wacom set up I'd sketch over to explain better, unfortunately I don't. And feet are nasty... I am no way looking for images of them!! wink.gif
CobraCommander
Posted: Aug 20 2012, 10:33 AM

Horror

What?! Random spontaneous update? Sort of. So for the past little while I've been settling into my new place, having "recently" moved from my previous. Unfortunately during the packing process I wasn't able to bring everything I wanted with me so I had to leave various things with friends, one of those parcels being all of my loose Warhammer, so the only things I have in my possession are my army carrying cases, which is unfortunate. Although, in a turn of fortune, one of the little boxes I brought with me contained the glorious GUO, so there's at least that. But without any of my sculpting material in hand, he's pretty much a half constructed paper weight until then.

Good news though, so this isn't entirely just a necro attempt on my part, I did do some more work on him and took pictures before said move took place.

user posted image
He's gettin to be a pretty big boy...

Sadly this is the only picture I took before I had to pack him away. It doesn't show off the arm as much as I would like, so I may snap another picture to really show off what I did, this just seems more like a size comparison now that I look at it. Hah, sadly there isn't much to say about the arm. As of right now it mearly looks like a sausage connected to the things torso. I think I may or may not have messed up putting in the "hinge" between the two arm sections. Looking at it from the side, it just appears that it doesn't have enough depth to really portray an arm, mostly I think because of a lack of a visable elbow. I will have to rectify that later on.

So I read over my last few posts before I went into blackout mode, and I kind of just facepalmed when I had ignored my previous statement of working on the head so
"it'll be easier for me to work in that area without arms and shoulders getting in the way."
And now I have a shoulder and arm getting in the way... Oh well. I will try to update when I begin working on this guy again, this was more of a "Hey, just letting you know, I'm not dead or anything" type of thing. Not that anyone should care or something, I don't know. I just thought it was a polite thing to do.

Lastly, I randomly checked the GW website and noticed all the new plastic Daemon kits and all that, and the only thing I could really think was "Oh, of course. When I decide to undertake some big project, they plastic kit them..." I like the look of the new Plaguebearers, but I guess I've just been building this image of them up in my head that these new kits just don't fit, so I'm going to continue scratch building my line infantry when I finally get to that stage. I've only seen the picture flipping through the book, but there's one picture in the 40k Daemons codex where there are Plaguebearers fighting against Imperial guardsmen. That's the picture I'm going to try and base my Plaguebearers from. It might be a good idea to locate that picture before I actually start work on them so I at least have a point of reference. Anyway, just thought I'd pipe up again, where I'm currently living, I have next to no real life outside work, so I can't help but feel I may just trap myself in my house and work on this project when I finally get all of my materials together. At least I'll get a "beautiful" army out of the deal I suppose.

Signing out, for now
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1533 seconds | Archive