Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Daemonic Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Looking For Modelling Material
CobraCommander
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 08:53 AM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,717

So I plan on scratch building quite a lot of my planned Daemons of Chaos army and I'm wondering what I should be looking for in the way of...I don't know, some kind of modelling putty? I don't want to use Greenstuff for the bulk of the work because it'll get to expensive, so I'm looking for something to do bulk work, and probably use Greenstuff for detail oriented things. Can someone throw out suggestions of what I should be looking for at my local craft store? I live in Canada by the way if that helps narrow anything down.

Thanks
COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
LAV-Kitsune-
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 03:16 PM

Lovely Fox Spirit

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,592

Well milliput is cheap but it can be really tricky to make any details with it. You could also try some of those modelling waxes that can be baked in the oven to harden them. You can usually get them from some hobby stores.
CobraCommander
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 03:33 PM

Horror

Member No.: 2,717

I'm not too worried about lack of detail since I'll be doing most of the detail work - eyes, teeth, hair- stuff like that with Greenstuff. I just need a reasonably priced material I'll be able to sculpt puppets with before the greenstuff goes on. How malleable is milliput? Does it harden after a few hours, or can I keep manipulating indefinitely? I'm hoping I'll be able to churn out one limb a sitting or so. Where would I pick something like this up? Is it a regional type of thing so I should look for the closest thing to it in my area? Would I be looking for this in some kind of hardware store, or would I be able to pick this up, or even ask about it in my local craft store?

COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
Colonel
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 02:37 PM

Changebringer

Member No.: 3,010

You mention sculpting 'puppets'. If you plan to do a whole army, might I suggest you sculpt one, or pieces of one, and then make simple molds. Check out this stuff:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/instant-...combo-pack.html
Sherlocko
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 02:57 AM

Pleasureseeker

Member No.: 776

Milliputt hardens in a few hour. It does indeed lack detail holding skills, at all! And a little bit brittle, so you need some scaffolding(is that the proper word, a "skeleton") on bigger pieces.

The plus sides are that it is cheaper than greenstuff and super easy to get super smooth. Just add some water/spit and rub it down and you will have super smooth finish.

I usually use the terracotta milliputt. Have tried the grey also but did not like it as much.

If you want putty that you have to bake I have heard that super sculpy is good, but have not yet tried it.
gjnoronh
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 03:13 AM

Lord of the Skull Throne

Group: Admin
Member No.: 126

Agreed I use aepoxiesculpt google the name should pull up the company website. Also sculpt which is a you bake it clay.

--------------------

It's pretty hypocritical to deride GW for valuing their pocketbooks over what's good for the growth of the hobby while you are buying on ebay and playing in your friendly local gaming store.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1304 seconds | Archive