Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Daemonic Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

How to paint Flamers
Callaghan41
Posted: Nov 27 2011, 07:56 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,960

Does anyone have an idea on how to paint flamers of tzeentch? I'm fairly new to painting, so it would be great if the techniques were explained. Thanks.
Talonz
Posted: Nov 27 2011, 08:31 PM

Greater Daemon

Member No.: 1,456

Depends entirely on what you want, but check this out for an example;

http://warpstoneflux.blogspot.com/2009/09/...ng-classic.html
DaemonReign
Posted: Nov 27 2011, 10:16 PM

The Eternal Bloodletter

Group: Heralds
Member No.: 2,658

This is how I did my last batch (a bit more basic than the plog-example Talonz gave you above):

1 - Prime with Skull White Spray.
2 - Paint the inside of their "mouths" and "hands" black. Be carefull Not to paint any of the flames black though. Drybrush the black parts to make the "teeth" emerge more clearly - mostly to make it easier actually painting them at a later stage..
3 - Paint the flames Sunburst Yellow.
4 - Highlight flames with Orange going up to dark Red colors. Painting the fire is the tricky part - to make it realistic it needs to be highlighted backwards with the brightest spots in the recesses and vice versa.
5 - For the body pick a wash (any color of your choosing) and apply that in layers where you let it dry between the takes. Be patient with this, apply just a little bit of wash each time. Whatever color you Start with is gonna be the dominant one, but after that you can for example add a layer of Green or Purple ontop of Blue wash for a nice effect. 3-4 layers of wash ought to do.

Here's a link to my painting thread on this Forum, with the result:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/inde...pic=8229&st=105

EDIT
Oh yeah I forgot.. If you want to really follow the way the Flamers are painted "on the box" you need to do that "white shading" around their bottoms.. It's fairly tricky to get good-looking IMO. Smoothing out that 'edge' between the body-color (blue forexample) and the white can be a real headache.. smile.gif

--------------------
Callaghan41
Posted: Nov 28 2011, 04:38 PM

Horror

They look awesome! What colors did you use for the teeth and surrounding area?
DaemonReign
Posted: Nov 28 2011, 08:50 PM

The Eternal Bloodletter

I started by painting the whole area black (except the flames).
Then I drybrushed the teeth with Skullwhite.
Then I washed them down with Badab Black.
Then (after finnishing everything else) I went over the teeth in detail with a crisp layer of Skullwhite (this is the most tedious part of painting Flamers IMO) after which I simply applied another round of Badab Black Wash for increased contrast.

Like I said, the way I did this is more basic, sort of speed-painting, good for table-top quality.

Also you might notice I painted the "tentacles" running along their bodies in a different color (red).

Glad you liked them. If you skip back a few pages in my painting thread you'll find some pics of my old metal Flamers as well - those I painted in a variety of different colors, with varying result I might add.. hehe

--------------------
Great clean one
Posted: Nov 29 2011, 02:00 PM

Bloodletter

Member No.: 2,638

Hmm wanna redo mine now. Looks great.
DaemonReign
Posted: Nov 29 2011, 08:09 PM

The Eternal Bloodletter

Thanks!
*I'm not worthy!*

... Just a personal reflection though:

Never redo! - Get more! wink.gif

--------------------
Callaghan41
Posted: Nov 30 2011, 06:13 PM

Horror

I'm definitely going to paint my flamers like that. Thanks for the ideas!
squalie
Posted: Dec 1 2011, 02:45 PM

Greater Daemon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 961

DaemonReign, those Flamers really do look awesome!

I sold my Daemons thinking I wanted all OOP models, but those look so good!

Hrm.

--------------------
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
Mike Tyson
DaemonReign
Posted: Dec 2 2011, 02:56 PM

The Eternal Bloodletter

@ SQUALIE: Thanks man. I keep telling people never to sell their stuff! smile.gif I guess I just get overly self-critical after having scrutinized them up close in real life. All I did, after all, was pretty much mimic the pics on the box they come in.

@Callaghan41: At first I did not grasp what you meant by the 'surrounding' area. Now I reallize you must mean the "gums" of the Flamer-mouths that encricles their teeth.. I probably based the 'gums' with Red Gore, dotted them with Fiery Orange, and washed them with Baal Red once or twice.. Also I probably let some Black wash slip into the recesses for increased contrast. You get the idea, they're basically just red.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1954 seconds | Archive