Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Daemonic Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Read First! Guidelines To Good Posting
wyrmling_x
Posted: Sep 17 2004, 01:57 PM

Servant of the Ruinous Powers

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As posted by Lord Zlob on The Pyramid Vault

How to type properly and not single yourself out as a mentally incapable individual:

The main reason you should follow the Golden Tips of Posting is that everyone enjoys reading an attractive, well thought out post.

These aren't hard and fast - Just general guidelines of what is considered good practice across the Internet and throughout the world. Use them wisely.

Tip 1 - Do not type in l33t, text message speak or any derivative thereof. It just looks stupid.

Tip 2 - Do not use numbers, or single letters in the place of real words. Eg: "I am going to" should not be typed as "I m going 2" or "I am going to be good" should not be typed as "I m going 2 b good."

Tip 3 - Capital letters go at the start of every sentence and every time you type "I" by itself, and in conjunctions thereof. (I, I'm, I've etc.) Capital letters are also used at the start of proper nouns, names, places and things. (England, Lizardmen, Chaos)

Tip 4 - Do not type in one solid block of text. It is difficult to read. Use the return/enter key to insert paragraphs, it makes posts more attractive, look longer, and people may actually read them without suffering a seizure. Headers and subject lines are a good idea also.

Tip 5 - If you're unsure how a word is spelled, copy and paste it into word and run spell check. If it's a GW oriented word, or one unlikely to be in the dictionary, check reference material.

Tip 6 - Spell things out. Do not post shortcuts other than commonly accepted truncations. (Like Etc for 'Etcetera') For instance: The word "People" is spelled P-E-O-P-L-E. NOT "ppl."

Tip 7 - Do not drag out words: use Bold, Underline or Italics to make a point rather than adding extra letters to words. (E.g. - No Waaaaaaaaaaaaay!!) It instigates the "Horizontal Scrollbar of Doom", which is annoying and evil and makes me sad

Tip 8 - Don't quote really long posts and just add a smiley or a single word reply. That is spam. Only ever quote the relevant part of a post, and reply to it.

Tip 9 - Use inventive thread titles. They should still however, indicate the main content of the thread. Make sure you apply the same rules to them as to your posts, correct spelling etc. (Note - vB Code DOES NOT work in titles)

Tip 10 -Use the smiley faces provided. Not ones like o_o. They just look out of place and make most people look down on you as a newbie. And most don't convey any real emotion.

Tip 11 - A and An go in front of different words. They are NOT interchangeable. If a word begins in a vowel, (A, E, I, O, or U) "An" goes in front. ('An Eldar') If it begins in a consonant (Everything else) "A" goes in front ('A Space Marine')

Tip 12 - Although you can quote a post directly with the appropriate button, bear in mind that you will have to post your response either entirely seperately from what your quoting, or inside the quote box. If the latter, it is hard to tell what's quote and what's response. Use the [ b] and [ /b] tags to make your comments stand out. Alternatively, make a normal reply and use the [ quote] [ /quote] tags to show the quote, and respond beneath. Then quote the next bit, respond, and so on.

Well thought out posts are more difficult to guideline. Read through your post before you click 'Submit' and make sure that someone's not going to think "What an idiot." or "What a newbie." Then and only then can you truly say you can post above a Games Workshop Forum level...

--------------------
“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trogdor
Posted: Oct 4 2004, 05:02 PM

The Burninator!!

Member No.: 4

One thing that really needs to be brought up is the topic of Homophones (or homonyms). These are words that sound alike when spoken but are in fact totally different words complete with different spelling and different usage. Here is an example:

their- belonging to them
there- a place
they're- contraction of "they are"

This is probably the biggest infraction of proper english I see on the site. If you're not sure of which form to use, check out this List of Homonyms to see if it offers any help. There are many more like it out there as well.

I will go around and phantom edit posts that I see with homophone infractions. If I see it a lot from a member or flagrant use of the wrong word at the wrong time, please don't be offended, but I'm going to PM you the above link and ask that you fix your post yourself.

--------------------
And Trogdor smote the Kerrek and all was laid to Burnination!

If the Gods want a man to live
No one can kill him

If the Gods want a man to die
No one can save him

If I am hunting you
The Gods want you dead

user posted image

the Dark Master
Posted: Feb 9 2005, 06:23 AM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

If you're unsure how a word is spelled, copy and paste it into word and run spell check.

The only little problem is that my computer, much to my dissapointment, has Linux instead of Windows, and instead of word they have something called OpenOffice, and it's spellcheck is not reliable.

--------------------
You're not afraid of darkness, are you?
The light...hurts my eyes
wyrmling_x
Posted: Feb 9 2005, 08:48 AM

A simple Google search will suffice. It generally corrects mispelled words, and if not, you can go to dictionary.com. wink.gif

--------------------
“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sarkan
Posted: Feb 12 2005, 01:23 PM

Bloodcrusher

Member No.: 36

Or, you could you use the amazing new invention that I have christened......"The DICTIONARY!"

--------------------
Hello! I'm a signature virus! Please add me to your signature to help me grow!
gjnoronh
Posted: Feb 14 2005, 09:16 AM

Lord of the Skull Throne

Member No.: 126

These are so nice - would you mind me posting them on other boards? (with due credit)

-Gary N

--------------------

It's pretty hypocritical to deride GW for valuing their pocketbooks over what's good for the growth of the hobby while you are buying on ebay and playing in your friendly local gaming store.
Trogdor
Posted: Feb 14 2005, 10:46 AM

The Burninator!!

Member No.: 4

Not at all. I'd love the see the quality of posts go up across the board. (Board in a figurative sense here, not just this board)

--------------------
And Trogdor smote the Kerrek and all was laid to Burnination!

If the Gods want a man to live
No one can kill him

If the Gods want a man to die
No one can save him

If I am hunting you
The Gods want you dead

user posted image

wyrmling_x
Posted: Feb 15 2005, 12:08 AM

Indeed, I would encourage you to pass them around. smile.gif Any site/forum/messageboard/blog can benefit from these guidelines.

--------------------
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
I Second That
Posted: Aug 9 2005, 09:27 AM

Unregistered

I am in complete agreement with the original post of this thread. I've worked in human resources for a few years, and I'm also an employer. How do I sort through hundreds of applications? I weed out the illiterate. Anyone who cannot coherently and legibly express themselves does not get a call back. Those applications go in the trash.

Shawn G.
gjnoronh
Posted: Jan 21 2008, 11:34 AM

Lord of the Skull Throne

Member No.: 126

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

Some good advice on how to post!

--------------------

It's pretty hypocritical to deride GW for valuing their pocketbooks over what's good for the growth of the hobby while you are buying on ebay and playing in your friendly local gaming store.
Azel
Posted: Feb 29 2008, 08:41 AM

Bloodcrusher

Member No.: 1,069

QUOTE (gjnoronh @ Jan 21 2008, 11:34 AM)
http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

Some good advice on how to post!

Its been ages since ive seen that!
Good memories laugh.gif

Azel

--------------------
user posted image
Space Wolves - Alpha Legion - Biel Tan - Empire - Lizardmen - Slaaneshi Daemons
"Morkai's black teeth! He was constantly losing the damned thing. Do you recall the time he drank all that stormwine on Sirenia and tried to throw the bloody spear at the moon? Took us four days to find it afterwards."-Rune Priest Torvald on Leman Russ and the Spear of Russ
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1398 seconds | Archive