InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Daemonic Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

2500 DoC list Revamp., You have infested my mind!
Lord Tremendous
Posted: Mar 9 2012, 08:11 PM

Bloodletter

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,065

Ok, so after trolling the forums as I've been doing over the past few weeks I've looked at your lists and have seen the light on SOME of the logic used by the majority of the players.

As such I sat down with a buddy and retooled my GUO list and want to see what you all think. I play to play as many games as I can with it tommorrow and traded away an extra DP and a Hearld of Nurgle on a palaquin for 24 Bloodletters in order to make it happen. So please don't hold back your opinions!!!

GENERAL
Great Unclean One (Lord Tremendous)
lvl 2 wiz
Nurgle's rot
Trappings of Nurgle
Pestilent Mucus

Heard of Nurgle (SARS the Viral)
BSB
Banner of unholy victory
Slime trail

Hearld of Khorne (Saron the Brutal)
Firestorm blade
Armor of Khorne

Hearld of Tzeentch (Tartum Fuin)
Spell Breaker
Master of Sorc
Lore of Light

39 X Plague Bearers (Bringers of Rot)
FC
Icon of eternal Virulance

24 X Bloodletters (Collectors of Spines)
FC

19 X Bloodletters (Collectors of Skulls)
FC
Icon of endless war

Fiend (Good touch)

Fiend (Bad Touch)

5 X Flamers (Flamers)

This list is MEAN and with lore of light... as you've said... it makes up for alot of the weaknesses my army has that my opponents are starting to exploit. Plus I get 93 models on the field which is HUGE for a DoC list. (At least for me) I miss my Crushers but I love my brick of 24 letters. Looking forward to the comments from you guys as well as my games tommorrow.

-Tremendous

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
brother_maynard
Posted: Mar 9 2012, 09:07 PM

Greater Daemon

Member No.: 2,484

Tremendous, you're taking single fiends?! surely this must be a sign that 2012 really is the end! you and i have already had a discussion about your GUO setup and the magic flag on your BSB so i won't mention those again tongue.gif looks good, your reign of terror will reach new heights (or depths) as your opponents will be confounded with your new redirection units lol.

--------------------
Lord Tremendous
Posted: Mar 9 2012, 10:28 PM

Bloodletter

QUOTE (brother_maynard @ Mar 9 2012, 09:07 PM)
Tremendous, you're taking single fiends?! surely this must be a sign that 2012 really is the end! you and i have already had a discussion about your GUO setup and the magic flag on your BSB so i won't mention those again tongue.gif looks good, your reign of terror will reach new heights (or depths) as your opponents will be confounded with your new redirection units lol.

ROFL!

Well my friend let me tell you the arguement that finally sold me on the idea. A buddy of mine that works at the local store sat down with me and we did our weekly session of "Theory Hammer" I explained to him my list in comparison to the lists I've seen on here and where I thought they were strong or weak. It was when we began talking about the single model fiends that my buddy became un-characteristically quiet (Think of the show House when he has one of those "AH-HA!" moments) and said

"I could see it if they're replacing Furies"

That got my mind chruning and so we ran the numbers. A unit of 5X Furies... well they suck... (Sry but I hate hate HATE them!) but I saw them as a necassary evil for warmachine hunters. At full unit Strength they have 5 WS 3 S 4 attacks and thats it.... for 60 points! They cost me 60 points and if my opponent doesn't have a Warmachine (Warriors of Chaos, Lizardmen, other demon players) they were pretty much useless. A single Fiend has 4 attacks, at WS 4 S4. They also get stomp (which puts them on par with a full unit of 5X furies) Soporific musk, and even after taking 2 wounds are at full fighting ability as opposed to 3X furies which are barely viable at that point. For 55 points.

It was then that lightbulb over my head turned on... I won't lie, my shame was evident. Don't worry, my buddy laughed pretty hard at my expense. SO.... I shelved the furies. (THANK THE DARK GODS!!!) and threw a fiend in there to replace em. The new unit of 24 X Letters w FC was a joint idea to drop the Crushers (I dont need em as a flanking unit anymore) and get some more bulk to my army.

Lore of Light I'm still on the fence about but, as those of you that read my Battle report on my fight against my VC friend know, purple sun has me up at night swearing. Lore of Light provides the only intelligent answer for my PB's ini failure thus I am making yet another compromise and exchanging life for light. Keep an eye out for Battle reports to see how much success this brings me. I hate to lose Flesh to stone and dwellers below.... but I hate it more when 50 wounds are done to me in one shot.... lol!

So I hope this un-needed explaination helps you to all understand that I am begining to conform to your ways (Sort of) and what my logic train is in getting there.

Thanks again for the advice... and patience! lol!

-Tremendous

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
brother_maynard
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 07:33 AM

Greater Daemon

QUOTE (Lord Tremendous @ Mar 9 2012, 10:28 PM)
So I hope this un-needed explaination helps you to all understand that I am begining to conform to your ways (Sort of) and what my logic train is in getting there.

lol, we're not looking for conformity, as a matter of fact we encourage innovation (see seeker's purpose thread and the responses to my attempts to get them to work), but single fiends are one of the most useful and versatile tools in our arsenal. they are simply crucial to competitive play. if they don't work out for you initially, don't drop them right away, they take practice to use but will pay off in dividends.

--------------------
JonathanC
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 12:25 PM

Greater Daemon

Member No.: 2,672

There is definitely some interesting stuff in your list Tremendous, which is something I always like to see. I find Nurgle's Rot on the GUO an odd choice, as while I like the idea of it it never seems to acheive anything for me. Combined with Trappings and Mucus though it looks like he's set out to be a grinder in combat. Same with the Plaguebearers, with those numbers, Banners and Slime Trail they are going to get a lot of combat res bonuses so losses to instability will be very low and as we all know they aren't easy to kill in the first place.

I can't really think of many improvements here, your obviously trying your own thing in the more unconventional parts. The only thing I'm really not a fan of is the 19 Bloodletters, as I've found 24 often don't survive the game and would be tempted to drop a few Plaguebearers to increase the smaller unit to 24 too. Or is the plan that, as the smaller unit, they will get overlooked by the enemy?

--------------------
Come on Tzeentch!

Do you like words and pictures arranged together to tell a story? If so, check out my battle report thread here.
bonesaww666
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 01:14 PM

Plaguerider

Member No.: 2,989

I really like your GuO setup, it's how I like to run mine. It makes him into a "Unit" unto himself. He won't destroy everything alone but for tackling HE spear blocks and other Str3 units he is amazing you may not get the most out of the one gift but IMO its worth it, as long as he keeps em tied up I'm generally happy!
Glad you saw the Light with well light... I love PB's and Purple Sun has limited the joy I have in these fancy little blighters but as you said Light fixes this heinous little issue.

--------------------
Follow The Dread Host of Berelith Fell Hand through the Blood in the Badlands Campaign!
http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/inde...0#entry11881810
Lord Tremendous
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 02:58 PM

Bloodletter

Thanks all!
Allow me to clarify some of the madness that is my list.

The GUO is a tried and true menace in my circle up here. As Bonesaw already mentioned he is set up to be a meat grinder for infantry units. I try to get him into combat asap with any infantry that doesnt have flaming attacks and so far he's never been bested. 4+AS and a 4+ ward coupled with a T6 allow very few wounds to get thru. 4 attacks plus Thunderstomp make him a powerhouse plus any wounds that do get thru my opponent has to pay for with toughgness checks. Which only increases my combat res. On top of it all Nurgle's rot allows me to take more wind out of my opponent's sails with rolling 6s at the begining of all magic phases and the frequency that I can roll 6s with my GUO surprises even me sometimes! biggrin.gif So far the only tried and true way of killing my GUO is when an empire player sends out a lvl 1 wizard with that identity theft item (Trade WS, S, T, AT) charges him and issues a challenge. Drives me nuts.... but its mercifully rare.

My main unit is my horde brick of PB's. As we all know anything that hits them is basically running into a unit of jello and they just out last almost anything that hits em. THe BSB with +D3 to combat res just keeps em in there longer and longer. Meanwhile the two units of Letters come around and do what they do best. Hit things in the neck with their sharpened I-beams of death.

I dont expect the letters to survive my games. They almost never do thanks to their reputation getting them the brunt of shooting and ranged attentions. The reason one is only 19X is because they get a HoK while the 24X are on their own. The extra attacks are my attempt at compensating for no hatred. (THey seem to understand. lol!)

Getting ready to head to the local store now so hopefully by tommorrow I'll have some battle reports to post.

-Tremendous

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
Daimyo79
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 08:05 AM

Horror

Member No.: 2,817

I've never been keen on Letters without the Hok, he makes hell of difference.

Eternal Virulence only works if your facing another horde unit, I would much rather reroll to wound and love the Breath Weapon on the HoN ( even if you cannot reroll the missed to wound from it

I'd stick the HoK in the bigger letter unit, swap a single fiend for a single crusher and then take out the 20 letters and add a unit of 5 Fiends. ( we know I like lots of chaff but think it sticks with what you are trying to do )

I see lots of GUO in list form USA.... you guys not see any cannons over there lol.
brother_maynard
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 12:10 PM

Greater Daemon

QUOTE (Daimyo79 @ Mar 11 2012, 08:05 AM)
I see lots of GUO in list form USA.... you guys not see any cannons over there lol.

What an interesting statement! when i first read it, i thought "yeah i see cannons all the time," but then it occured to me that actually, i almost never see cannons at the top tables of the events that i go to. ogres and skaven are both strong cannon armies that do well but they are usually found at the top of the middle, whereas the strong daemon players are leading the pack along with LM, WoC, and DE.

hmmm, how fascinating...

for me personally, even when i do draw an army with static cannons (like empire or dwarfs), a combination of pha's, cannonball-catching fiends, and 10 wounds usually means the GUO gets into combat safely and with nurglings running amok, the life expectancy of WM is fairly short. ironblasters are really the only cannons that worry me because they can shoot around the fiends. they're much easier to catch then normal cannons though, since most ogre players have an inflated impression of the CC prowess of their ironblasters, and thus use them more aggressively then i would advise.

my speed daemon army led by a keeper doesn't really fear cannons at all, in fact the more your army resembles a gunline bristling with WM's, the easier my victory usually is. perhaps we should start a thread to hear others' experiences?

--------------------
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1132 seconds | Archive