Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Daemonic Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Lord of Change white robe, Lord of Change white robe help
Sir G.
Posted: Jul 26 2014, 03:56 PM

Lil' Nurgling

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,810

Hi all,

So, I recently started painting an old metal Lord Of Change miniature, and I'm not pleased with how the robe is turning out.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

I used a white primer, a layer of white scar, nuln oil, and white scar again.

In my opinion the contrast is too high and the highlights are "off".
I'm looking for ways to lower the contrast and improve the looks in general.

I'm not blessed with a steady hand and simply covering it with a white wash would make pools of white in the recesses...

any tips?

Thanks!
Brad
Posted: Jul 26 2014, 05:44 PM

Plaguebearer

Member No.: 2,527

It looks pretty good to me.

But if you're certain, try a lighter/browner shade of wash. I'm not familiar with the current range of GW paints, but in the old scheme I probably would have used something like a bleached bone base, very thin snakebite leather wash, and fairly heavy skull white highlight.
gjnoronh
Posted: Jul 27 2014, 06:52 AM

Lord of the Skull Throne

Group: Admin
Member No.: 126

Agreed that brown scale white works easiest. However I think grey or blue based works best with the pallette of a lord of change.

It's tough but I have an entire space marine army in grey to white highlights. What I find most helpful is a technique called wet blending google it up you will want a bit of an anti drying agent to make it easier I picked a tube up from an art supply store years ago and it still is 95 percent filled.

--------------------

It's pretty hypocritical to deride GW for valuing their pocketbooks over what's good for the growth of the hobby while you are buying on ebay and playing in your friendly local gaming store.
Brad
Posted: Jul 28 2014, 07:37 PM

Plaguebearer

Member No.: 2,527

Agreed about the blue - that's what I used on my LoC (I can't find any pics of it though). I do have a pic of a WoC Tzeentch champ with both the brown/cream- and blue-based robes, attched below for comparison (not a very good pic, sadly).

user posted image
WizardBoss
Posted: Jul 28 2014, 09:30 PM

Plaguebearer

Member No.: 3,599

putting nuln oil over white scar could look dirty and give you a really stark contrast. Might be nice for the borders, but for your general folds I'd experiment with using greys + blues like the above posters suggested.

White is like red - it's very hard to highlight and often times easier to darken/color everything around it instead.

One technique that might help is reducing a light grey color to a glaze - you can do this by just diluting with water. The consistency is different from a wash; typically they work to REDUCE contrast instead of adding.

There's a bunch of different videos online about how to use glazes - worth checking out. Nice way to add color without getting that "wash" effect.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0830 seconds | Archive