Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Daemonic Legion. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The WAAAGH Studios Project Log - Studio Daemons
AlexHeap
Posted: Feb 4 2012, 01:56 PM

Lil' Nurgling

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,037

This project log will document the construction of the studio's Warhammer Fantasy Daemons of Chaos army.

For the first 1500 points of the army we'll be taking part in a tale of X gamers over on the Astronomican Forums. This means that each month there will be a 50 budget for purchasing new units for the army and atleast 1 unit per month must be completed.

Here's a picture of this month's purchases:

user posted image

This includes:

1 x Daemons of Chaos army book: 15
1 x Unit of Bloodletters: 13.50
1 x AOW Herald of War: 9.95
12 x Resin Bases: 9.40

Total for Feb 2012: 47.85

Which leaves 2.25 to carry over to next month.

Stay tuned for more updates as we begin work on the army.

--------------------
I'm the owner of The WAAAGH Studios, a commission painting service, so if you have any commission work you want doing don't hesitate to message me or check out

My Website - user posted image
DaemonReign
Posted: Feb 4 2012, 03:52 PM

The Eternal Bloodletter

Group: Heralds
Member No.: 2,658

Yeah this'll be interesting.. smile.gif

--------------------
AlexHeap
Posted: Feb 4 2012, 07:34 PM

Lil' Nurgling

@DaemonReign: I've been looking forward to starting this project so I'll try not to disappoint wink.gif

Update wise the first thing that was done was to drill some holes into the resin bases and add some magnets.

user posted image

I'm going to be getting some movement trays, that match the design of the resin bases, aswell as a sheet of rubberized steel. I can glue the rubber steel down to the movement trays so the magnets can attach to it and as the steel itself isn't magnetized I won't have to worry about polarities.

Now that's done I can start building the models themselves biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'm the owner of The WAAAGH Studios, a commission painting service, so if you have any commission work you want doing don't hesitate to message me or check out

Legion
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 01:57 PM

Plaguerider

Member No.: 1,871

I'm excited to see how this goes!

--------------------
People say that love is the best feeling. I think finding a toilet when you have diarrhea is even better.
LAV-Kitsune-
Posted: Feb 7 2012, 04:48 AM

Lovely Fox Spirit

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,592

I love watching "tales of 4 gamers" stories where ever I see them. It is fun to see army growing and painting ideas and conversions that people possibly make in them. Oh and magnets...after painted and based so many daemon models I can only dream that I would have magnetized them all before I started =_=
AlexHeap
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 09:04 AM

Lil' Nurgling

@Legion: Thanks for the support biggrin.gif

@LAV-Kitsune-: Glad to know you'll be following the project. Magnetising the bases was one thing I knew I wanted to get done first. Going back over all the bases after the models had been completed would not have been an attractive prospect.

After the bases were done the models themselves were assembled. Here's a picture of the assembled Herald of Khorne:

user posted image

and another of the Bloodletters:

user posted image

Some of the models in the back rank have been converted so their swords point upwards to allow them to be ranked up more easily.Then after assembly the gaps in the models were all filled with greenstuff to give a nice smooth finish.

--------------------

Talonz
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 10:39 AM

Greater Daemon

Member No.: 1,456

Is it not posible to just build them so the swords are pointing up? What modification did you have to make exactly?

I was just having this discussion with a buddy of mine on doing this, while he was cursing his letters for not ranking up easily...
Colonel
Posted: Feb 8 2012, 11:36 AM

Changebringer

Member No.: 3,010

They rank up poorly unless you are careful to base the guys with swords down such that the sword passes between guys in the rank in front. The arms fit on in one position only. You can always cut a bit off the body and stuff greenstuff in the armpit to change the position.
LAV-Kitsune-
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 08:34 AM

Lovely Fox Spirit

It is good idea to cut the arms and add some green stuff. When most of the swords point up on every model all of them can easily be arranged to whatever formation. It is so much easier to set up games when you got like 100 bloodletters that all have been fixed like this. It takes annoyingly long time to convert the models, but in the end you will be happy for the result.
DaemonReign
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 09:33 AM

The Eternal Bloodletter

Group: Heralds
Member No.: 2,658

... It's not just the sword-arms that are good to convert on the Bloodletter. After my first batch of Bloodletters I immediately started relocating their hips to stand more upright, and readjusting swords to point upward as well as readjusting their free arm to run closer to their bodies (some of them free arms are as irritating as the swords sticking into the arse of the front rank!).
It's not only that the models rank up more easily, but in my humble opinion those big units of Bloodletters (I have four units of 50) look alot cooler when the vast majority of swords of visible in the backranks rather than being "hidden" amongst the legs of the troops. They look a little more disciplined. Which I like.

--------------------
Ruhl
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 11:29 AM

Plaguebearer

Member No.: 2,959

I'm going to echo the sentiments about modifying the bloodletters from the outset for more convenient ranking. I have learned this lesson very painfully.
LAV-Kitsune-
Posted: Feb 10 2012, 02:50 AM

Lovely Fox Spirit

QUOTE (DaemonReign @ Feb 9 2012, 05:33 PM)
... It's not just the sword-arms that are good to convert on the Bloodletter.

Well yes thats true. They have so wicked long tongues that I have noticed few models doing quite "Slaaneshque" things with their tongues to next ranks rears. That was enough to me and lots of models got their tongues cut out also. I also shortened the sword handle from many swords since it also cause some troubles and is easy and unnoticable conversion to do.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1263 seconds | Archive