zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Greek Turkish Affairs Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Favorite Hellenic Military Magazine

What is your favorite military magazine from the Hellenic press?
Ptisi kai Diastima [ 4 ]  [28.57%]
Stratigiki [ 8 ]  [57.14%]
Amyntika Themata [ 1 ]  [7.14%]
Amyna kai Diplomatia [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Peripolos [ 1 ]  [7.14%]
Cockpit [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
digenis
Posted on Jul 25 2005, 09:35 PM

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

I always wanted to ask, and since a discussion brough it up...
Please feel free to ask me to add any magazine I missed.
mavrogenides
Posted on Jul 25 2005, 09:45 PM

Captain

Member No.: 70

Strategiki is better...it seems that these guys have the "better friends" in the greek armed forces....

Ptisi is also a good magazine allthough they write sometimes some BS....

cameleon1975
Posted on Jul 25 2005, 11:18 PM

Major General

Group: Moderator EB
Member No.: 42

I voted for Ptisi although i haven't bought any of these magazines for a long time now.i guess that i like Ptisi more because it has also many articles on Space and other scientific matters.

Is Kabathas still head editor?
ChrisCRTS
Posted on Jul 26 2005, 12:56 PM

Major General

Member No.: 19

Even i didn't buy them for long time now (fucking Germany :angry: ) i Vote for Amyntika. Ptisis comes second just because of the space articels.
cameleon1975
Posted on Jul 26 2005, 01:05 PM

Major General

Member No.: 42

QUOTE (ChrisCRTS @ Jul 26 2005, 12:56 PM)
Ptisis comes second just because of the space articels.

Actually thats why i prefer Ptisi over the other magazines! :lol:
chris450
Posted on Jul 27 2005, 09:24 AM

Sergeant

Member No.: 235

i think Stratigiki is the most reliable of all,and covers all possible GT defence related matters.if someones goal is to be informed on the current GT defence
balance i think strategy is the best choice..

oh and it has great diplomacy articles too,by people like Periclis Nearxou..
DouriosYpnos
Posted on Jul 27 2005, 12:24 PM

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7

"Stratigiki" is the most reliable and accurate.. the less biased too...
"Amyntika Themata" appear to have become better in the past few months but still are not like Stratigiki..
digenis
Posted on Jul 27 2005, 04:12 PM

Major General

Dourie,

I couldn't agree more with you! "Amyntika Themata" has become an excellent magazine, although I still prefer "Stratigiki" (even if I buy both).

"Ptisi" is a great magazine, although they (obviously) focus too much on aviation (including commercial and general) and space. I still have all the issues from the 1980's and early 90's (in mint condition but in storage), and plan on keeping them forever.
Nutuk
Posted on Jul 27 2005, 05:06 PM

Brigadier General

Member No.: 77

I am envying you guys, Greece has 6 military magazines?????

f***, there are only two military magazines left in Turkey
1 Savunma ve havacilik
2 Turkish defence

What happened to the magazines like MI5 and Ulusal strategi does anyone know?
digenis
Posted on Jul 27 2005, 05:23 PM

Major General

Nutuk,

There are more magazines than the six listed, although I don't have access to them in New York. Since I do not know their current publication status, I did not add them to the poll.
ChrisCRTS
Posted on Jul 27 2005, 05:41 PM

Major General

Member No.: 19

:bawl: I live in Germany and i don't have access to them! :bawl:
Pytheas
Posted on Jul 28 2005, 07:26 PM

Unregistered

For me the best is a new one, the "Anachaitisi" (=Interception)...

It's published for a couple of months and it has amazed me... I'll suscribe to it definately.

"Cockpit" has stopped been out cause noone was buying it...

"Stratigiki" and "amyntika themata" (and previously "cockpit") are published by the same editions and editors...

From the list I chose the Ptisi, as the most unbiased... Stratigiki is a fucken F-16 and American biased...

From what I can recall, you forgot "Amyntiki Epitheorisi" that is also a relatively new magazine... And I think there other also that I can't bring back in my memory...
digenis
Posted on Jul 28 2005, 07:27 PM

Major General

QUOTE (ChrisCRTS @ Jul 27 2005, 10:41 AM)
:bawl: I live in Germany and i don't have access to them! :bawl:

Don't cry Chris, at least you are saving money. In New York they change $13 per issue, and I buy at least 2 per month (Stratigiki and Amyntika Themata). The cover price is 5.50 Euros, so that is some markup! :pirate:
DouriosYpnos
Posted on Jul 29 2005, 08:42 AM

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7

"Stratigiki" and "amyntika themata" (and previously "cockpit") are published by the same editions and editors...

I don't think that this is correct pytheas.. "Stratigiki" and "Cockpit" were from the same publisher.. but "Amyntika Themata" was not.. i don't know if this status changed latetly though... i will check it but i find it difficult to be from the same publisher.. both mags are high volume and with more or less the same content, one publisher would merge them somehow... they are competative to one another..

Stratigiki also is not pro-US.. actually is the only mag that gives value to Russian systems and promotes them...

Isn't "Anaxetisi" focused mainly on Air Force issues? Does it worth buying?
orko_8
Posted on Jul 31 2005, 11:15 PM

Member No.: 6

Nutuk,

There currently two defense related magazines in Turkey: Savunma ve Havacilik (Defense & Aerospace) and Military Science & Technology. There are also some other magazines such as Kara Havacilik but they are internal publications of TSK. You can also count Teknolojik Guvenlik, focused on civil and para-military security forces and systems (from Monch Turkiye publishing, the group which publishes Savunma ve Havacilik). Monch Turkiye also publishes a monthly bulletin named "Turkish Defense and Aerospace Update" which covers latest developments in Turkish defense industry and insight analyzes. It is not sold in stores, and its subscription price is extremely high for amateurs. Its customer profile is defense companies and governmental & military institutions.

Turkish Defence had ended a long time ago. There are two published issues, only one made it to the stores. It continues its life with its renowned forum site.

M5 Strateji, which was one of the longest running defence - strategy magazines of Turkey had ended. The editor team founded MSI magazine. I used to like its issues in mid 90's. They were cooperating with Jane's and published a lot of valuable articles from Jane's publications.

There are rumors that Ucanturk is still being published and can be freely obtained from Turk Hava Kurumu offices. But I'm not sure. I have last seen it in the summer of 2002.

Ulusal Strateji (National Strategy) was a publication of CNR company, which organized IDEF Defence and Aerospace Exhibition. Last year CNR lost the organizaton bid to Tuyap Organization Company, so it became meaningless for them to publish a defense magazine (no advertisement revenues = no more issues).
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2031 seconds | Archive