Title: [PS] AETHER TUT!
Description: PS only sel col, col bal, ch mx, masks
Saffron Sunset - May 8, 2008 05:25 PM (GMT)
Well, seeing as y'all asked, here it is! You don't have to credit or anything if you use this colouring on your own graphic. All that I ask is you don't enter it into the Daemon Challenge. ;)
1. My canvas size is 500x500px. The first thing that I did was to add a massively oversize picture of my grey parrot, and then add a Radial Zoom Blur of 50px.
2. Next I added the larger parrot, setting the layer to Lighten. Then just Layer Mask away the parts you don't want I left a ring of blue sky around the edges of the parrot to add colour and add a 3px Gaussian Blur to the Layer Mask to finish.
3. At this point I added my tiny text (stock of a book page, resized, inverted, 50% Colour Dodge) and also my miniature parrot on Soft Light 100%. I also added my second, middle-sized parrot a smaller, flipped copy of the first.
4. Add a handwriting texture on 30% Colour Dodge I used Sanami's. Then make a new lyer and paste in an image of a grey moon, and Radial Zoom Blur at 50px. Set this layer to Hard Light 30%. Add layers of clouds along the bottom (my stocks are from Flickr).
5. Stamp visible in a new layer, add a 50px Radial Zoom Blur and use a big soft black spot (about 350px) in the middle of the Layer Mask, where the focal point is.
6. Add a fill layer of #80C79A on Colour Burn 40%, and then a #430C62 fill layer on Lighten 50%. The add the purple>orange>green default Photoshop Gradient Map on Soft Light 100%.
7. Selective colour ...
YELLOWS +100 100 100 +100
CYANS +100 25 100 +15
BLUES +100 25 100 +15
WHITES +100 100 +100 75
NEUTRALS 7 7 7 +7
BLACKS 15 +7 +7 15
8. Brightness/Contrast on +25 +15. Black Layer Mask, 350px soft white spot at focal point. Duplicate, invert Layer Mask, change Brightness/Contrast settings to 50 50. Now for a Color Balance layer on Lighten 50% ...
SHADOWS +7 +7 +7
MIDTONES +25 7 15
HIGHLIGHTS 25 15 7
9. Channel Mixer layer ...
RED +106 +8 2 0
GREEN 4 +106 0 2
BLUE +2 +2 +90 +2
10. Hue/Saturation. Master 0 +15 +7. Now fill a new layer with black, Soft Light 30%, and cut out the middle with a 20px feathered Elliptical Marquee (hold Shift for a perfect circle, depending on your canvas dimensions).
11. Add text! Now add a stock image of whatever you want as long as there's lots of different colours in it. An image of a bubble would be good, where you can see all the colours. Add a #80C79A>#FFFFFF Gradient Map layer to this, change the image itself to Soft Light and add a 350px soft black spot on your Layer Mask at your focal point.
12. Add a black scratch texture on 80% and Layer Mask out a soft spot at your focal point.
Twinker - May 8, 2008 08:48 PM (GMT)
Saffy! *huggles* I LOVE you for doing this.
So, you know I had to try it.
Lol. I didn't follow the coloring and a skipped a lot of steps and I added my own little touches, but I figured I'd post it anyways 'cause it was, well... inspired
by your tut. And I didn't want you going into my gallery and seeing it and thinking, 'That witch is stealing my ideas. gfguiasdgfcu!' So, yea.
insighttoangela - May 9, 2008 05:12 AM (GMT)
You made the Aether tut..
I;m gonna try this the second I can
but the tut looks amazing anyways;]
^^btw, thats awesome Twinker!
tamalyn - May 9, 2008 05:42 AM (GMT)
Wonderful! I love tutorials. When I saw your Aether entry on the daemon challenge, it was so jaw-dropping that I seriously didn't even want to enter one! Beautiful stuff.
Mayde - May 12, 2008 10:20 PM (GMT)
Great tut Saffron! Thanks for posting this.
Only This Moment - October 5, 2008 05:31 PM (GMT)
I made this quite a while back, but forgot to post xD Thanks so much for this tut! I learned a lot (:
Saffron Sunset - October 5, 2008 05:44 PM (GMT)
Yay, glad you liked it!
The stocks you used are absolutely stunning. :)
tamalyn - December 5, 2008 08:02 AM (GMT)
I decided to make this using your Tut as kind of a 'guide'! Thanks again for sharing your BAMF-y skills :)
Saffron Sunset - December 5, 2008 06:09 PM (GMT)
Anαrion Moon - May 9, 2009 10:28 AM (GMT)
I'm new over here and I'm really shocked because of your tutorials, everything over here is simply great. I tried to made some design using your tut. It was difficult for me to do it because I had never used masks. But well, finally I did this...
Well, thanks a lot for posting this. =D
Saffron Sunset - May 10, 2009 10:24 AM (GMT)
Thank you! I'm glad you liked the tut.
Your piece looks really great, nice placement & text! :)