BENJAMIN "BENJY" BELBY
fifth year - ravenclaw - halfblood - little brother - a realist
- the belby family is far from pureblooded. their family tree is speckled with marriages to muggles and muggleborns alike, as well as the occasional squib offspring. though the belby brothers were raised in the wizarding world their mother (being a muggleborn) tried to bring them up with one foot in the muggle world as well. unlike his brother benjamin found the muggle world enthralling, and to this day he still has a great interest in it.
- as a small boy benjamin thought the world of damocles, and placed him on a pedestal the way younger brothers do of their older brothers. unfortunately even as a child damocles was not very attentive of the world around him, including the people around him. growing up he tended to show far more interest in his books and his half-cooked ideas than he did in his little brother.
- when benjamin was sorted into ravenclaw he first found comfort in having been sorted into the same house as his brother, but that comfort did not last. he was very much left to his own devices during his first year, making friends of his own and seeing very little of damocles and his fellow group of academics.
- the days of benjamin enthusiastically following damocles around are long gone. he does not readily admit it, but he has grown to resent damocles' academic pursuits and the friends his brother has surrounded himself with, begrudging them for having driven a wedge between them (though this is no more their fault than it is benjy's own fault).
- unlike damocles benjamin takes a keen interest in news and current affairs, both of the muggle and wizarding world. he has subscriptions to more than a handful of publications and prides himself on being very well-informed. in general he is not a very optimistic person, and has a very critical or realistic view of most things.
- he strongly believes that good grades and a theoretical or encyclopaedic knowledge is overrated, instead advocating the importance of life experience. he truly believes that damocles is wasting his time playing with potions and spending hours upon hours with his head in a book or pouring over an essay. because of this his grades do not reflect his intelligence - in potions, for instance, he is barely sitting above a fail grade (and will soon be forced into tutoring with damocles, much to his chagrin).
suggested playby is jake cooper - this is very flexible, but please run any others by me first.
a lot about benjamin is open to interpretation, so if you wanted to talk or run any questions by me feel free to pm or im (aim - aliiikazam) me! i can't make it clear how exciting it would be to have damocles' brother, i have a lot of ideas for them bouncing around.