fifth year, pureblood, the leader.
• the zellers are not of the pureblood aristocracy. both violet’s mother and father work hard to keep their family in relative comfort – or, at least, out of poverty. with five children this is no easy feat, and most of their income is spent keeping food on the table, a roof over their heads and clothes on their back. needless to say, there is not a lot of spare cash to be splashed around.
• the middle of five children, violet has always had an insatiable craving for attention. coming to hogwarts was an opportunity to set herself apart from her siblings, something that she had been unable to do for most of her childhood. headstrong, contrary and obstinate by nature, she did not initially make friends as quickly and easily as she may have hoped.
• the friends she did make, then, she clung to and held very dear. over the next two years violet gathered around her a very ragtag group of girls, all of whom she is viciously loyal to. it is arguable that she is closer to these girls than her own siblings, and this is certainly true of her older sister still at hogwarts, who she is closest to in age. as well as being loyal to the clique, she is noticeably possessive of them and is automatically wary of outsiders.
• coming from a very rough and tumble household, she knows how to hold herself in a fight. it has been speculated that she must hold the record for detentions given solely for hair-pulling or scratching. she does not take kindly to any slights against her girls, and is likely to pull hair first and ask questions later.
• though it may come as a surprise, violet is also an exceptionally hard-working student with a notable flair for potions. determined to make a more comfortable life for herself than she is used to enjoying at home, this year especially she has buckled down, the weight of o.w.l’s weighing heavily on her. she is often teased for this by some of the clique’s less academic members.
suggested play-by is shelby coleman.
fifth year, pureblood, the gossip.
• the madleys, while still not of the pureblood aristocracy, are considerably better off than the zellers. with mr. madley working at a respectable ministry job and only one child to raise, they have always been in a comfortable enough position to splurge on a few creature comforts.
• marjorie and violet have been best friends since they were little girls, a consequence of a close friendship between their mothers. with marjorie always having been the more subdued of the two, she has always tended to follow violet headfirst into anything and everything. the two are practically inseperable, and violet is the person she is most loyal to.
• having always been sympathetic to violet’s financial issues, and later to other girls within the clique, it was marjorie’s idea to start a mutually beneficial fund. the girls have each put away spare knuts into it over the years, and time to time buy something that they can all enjoy from it.
• soft-spoken and a good listener, whether she means them to or not, people have a habit of spilling the beans to her. marjorie is the best of the girls at keeping a secret, and rarely divulges them to anyone but violet – but given violet’s inability to keep her own mouth shut this is arguably as bad as spreading them herself. though very few outside of the clique realise it, she is also quite the gossip, and has been known to get herself and the clique in trouble for it.
• marjorie has always had issues with her personal space being invaded. in her third year when she was not quite ready for her first kiss she put a boy in the hospital with rather delicate injuries. since, it has become public knowledge that anyone – male and female alike – invading marjorie’s private space is asking for it.
suggested play-by is caroline corinth.
fifth year, halfblood, the healer.
• the strouts are quite a poor family. prior to hogwarts miriam had only rarely owned anything that was not second-down or a hand-me-down, and even though the girls have since taken to occasionally buying her things out of their collective fund it has always been against her protest. she may be poor, but she prides herself on being self-sufficient.
• miriam is the nicest of the girls within the clique. a pacifist at her core, she does not agree with the fights her friends so often start, and she certainly doesn’t condone them. she has a habit of scolding them in a fashion that is more motherly than anything, often while she is patching them up.
• with ambitions to be a healer, miriam has already developed an excellent understanding of rudimentary healing spells. this could not be more handy, given the girls that she has befriended. she is the one who patches them up after their scuffles, excepting when the injuries are grave enough to warrant a trip to the hospital wing.
• she is often caught being the mediator between the girls of her clique and others outside of it. as a combination of being a pacifist and this she has developed a knack for diffusing a situation before it escalates to blows that none of her friends possess.
• as a result of her passion for herbology and care of magical creatures miriam can rarely be found without dirt beneath her nails. she is the only one of the girls truly passionate about these subjects, and the one that all of them turn to to consult about their homework – though in the case of some of them this is more often than not in the form of begging her to do it for them.
suggested play-by is julia johansen.
fourth year, halfblood, the baby.
• daisy is undeniably the softest of the clique. she believes that she is not as tough or as strong as the rest of the group, and is still quite openly shocked at her inclusion within it. subsequently she would go to any lengths for any one of the other girls, as they are all aware.
• it is generally understood by the rest of the clique that daisy cannot realistically handle the conflict that comes with being associated with them. each and every one of them is extremely protective of her, and are likely to fly off the handle at anyone who so much as makes her bottom lip quiver.
• having lived a rather naive and sheltered childhood, daisy is exceptionally naive and gullible. she is quick to believe the best of people, and finds it easy to make excuses for any of their short comings. the clique, violet and catriona especially, are wary of those who might try to take advantage of this.
• daisy does not handle stress well, and has been a frequent visitor to the hospital wing for calming draughts over the years, particularly surrounding exams. she is an emotional girl who wears her heart on her sleeve, known around the school for being quick to tear, and this is something of a disappointment to her parents who tried to raise her to keep such things bottled up.
• although she arguably devotes more time and energy to her grades than anyone else in the clique she consistently achieves mediocre grades, with the exception of divination. this has always been a sore point for her, and although she feels bad for it she has always been envious of katie for this, who seems to achieve impressive grades with such ease.
suggested play-by is ming xi.
fourth year, muggleborn, the fighter.
• the mccormacks could not be a bigger bunch of muggles if they tried. raised by a single father, amongst three older brothers, catriona missed out on a female influence throughout her childhood. she is, undeniably, the product of backyard football and wrestling for the best place on the couch.
• she is arguably as headstrong as violet. catriona has a knack for starting fights at such a rapid pace that it is difficult to keep up with. obstinate, contrary, and incapable of keeping her mouth shut or giving a second of thought before she flaps it, it’s no wonder she has ruffled as many feathers as she has.
• catriona wasted no time after starting at hogwarts to fall head over heels, madly and irrevocably in love with quidditch. she is known around the school for charming her robes purple and gold and shouting loud and proud about the prides – at least, when she’s not shouting about the house cup, anyway.
• only in her fourth year, and already catriona has been banned from quidditch matches several times for initiating fights. during the gryffindor v. slytherin match in her third year she threw the quaffle at a jeering slytherin girl in the stands. she was allowed to return to the team this year under the proviso that she cleaned up her act – but she has only since become more sneaky.
• although on a day to day basis pureblood elitism is not something that she pays any heed to, when her blood status has been held against her she has been known to kick up a fuss about it. proud of her muggle father and brothers, it is high on the long list of things that gets her riled, and it should come as no surprise that she is unpopular amonst slytherins.
suggested play-by is julia hafstrom.
katherine "katie" rosmerta
fourth year, pureblood, the intellectual.
• the rosmerta twins were raised by their single mother. their name is still respectably amongst the right circles, and they still live comfortably and within relative affluence. unfortunately in recent times a rift has formed between the twins, katie fearing that her twin’s slytherin housemates are becoming a bad influence.
• katie is naturally intelligent, and undeniably the brightest of the clique. despite studying far less than some of the other girls she still manages to achieve far better grades. she has always taken to her classes with relative ease, the only exceptions being those that require getting her hands dirty.
• if there is one thing that katie cannot abide it is mess and dirt. she is meticulous about her appearance, and never caught with so much as a hair out of place. all things considered this is rather amusing, given that she is best friends with catriona mccormack who is always anything but presentable.
• although she may seem sweet and amiable upon first impression, it is all for the sake of appearances. despite the clique that she is a part of, katie is careful not to be caught in any behaviour that might embarrass her mother. however, she is automatically mistrusting of anyone outside of the clique and has no interest in befriending anyone else.
• of the girls who get in fights katie is caught the least, though this is perhaps mostly due to the fact that she rarely, if ever, involves herself in physical altercations, instead preferring to have others do her dirty work in that sense. she has found that she has a way with words that tends to be far more crippling, anyway, and she is not above engaging catriona or marjorie in their respective strong suits.
suggested play-by is addison gill.