welcome to chimera!

CHIMERA is a riddle-era roleplay.

It is currently October of 1942, three years after the beginning of WWII and Grindelwald's war.

We are accepting canons and originals.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

MOVED
CHIME HAS MOVED! Follow us!

add reply
New Poll

crack your bones with veins of gold, prof black
Druella Rosier
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 10:35 AM

played by cora -------------------- 4th year
Group Icon

Group: Slytherin
Member No.: 221

Druella's evenings were often repetitive. In fact, there was a repetitiveness over-all to the young girl's life that she had gotten so used to she hardly noticed, and that she was too unaware of to mind in a conscious way. Besides, Druella had never been encouraged to be conscious of her feelings, exactly. She had them, just as everyone does, but she had never been made to see the importance of dwelling on them. There were very few obstacles in Druella's existence. She had perfected the way in which she allowed herself to be unobjectionable and note-worthy all at once, able to sit quietly, earn praise and cause little fuss. It came as a habit now so that she had incorporated her habits into her existence without noticing them. It made her listless in manner and a little removed. If it made her uncomfortable, she did not have the capacity to understand it.

However, this evening she did not return to her common room directly after dinner, as she usually did. When she excused herself from the table, she instead made her way to the upper regions of the castle, towards the astronomy tower. She, in fact, had no great desire to confront Cedrella Black or her "instructions" to Druella. It was not, though, Druella's habit to prioritize her desires over the requirements of those she saw as figures of authority.

Cedrella Black's position might be questionable - a daughter of such a good family employed and unmarried was not exactly an honourable occurrence and Druella would have seen the fate as a failure unquestionably, in herself. However, she was a Black, and that made her the teacher that Druella was most careful not to offend. Keeping her reputation in tact for Cedrella's family was not only a goal for Druella, it was her central goal and purpose.

So, before the evening had gone too long, Druella Rosier was standing outside the door to Professor Black's office, as straight and impassive as ever. She knocked lightly and then clasped her hands in front of her, waiting to be acknowledged.

--------------------

user posted image
^
Professor Black
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 04:45 PM

played by chase -------------------- astronomy
Group Icon

Group: Faculty
Member No.: 402

Cedrella didn't really intend to skew Druella from her path, she was, at least, aware and resigned to the fate that the girl had, even if she couldn't bring herself to succumb to what was expected of her. What she hated to see was such... apathy. It was one thing to be chained to one's husband, it was another to defer one's entire personality to it, which was entirely how she interpreted shyness in girls like Druella -- as complacency.

It would do her no harm whatsoever to learn to lift her chin up and present with confidence information that she knew to be infallible. She didn't advocate being argumentative for the sake of it (in fact, it was only Septimus Weasley who lately had begun to draw such unbecoming behaviour from her), but there was nothing wrong with a little well-placed assertiveness, so long as she learned to use it wisely.

"Come in," she called, and glanced up from her desk. She had been writing a set of exercises for the first years (and had stopped half way through to begin afresh and write it at their level. "Ah, Miss Rosier. Thank you for coming."

She wasn't certain she had expected her to do it. Cedrella had despised being told how to conduct herself at that age, but couldn't help but concede the value in it as she rocketed past her sisters -- however temporarily -- socially. She folded her papers away neatly.

"Have a seat, if you like."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
Druella Rosier
Posted: Nov 3 2011, 11:10 PM

Group Icon

At the invitation, Druella opened the door, stepping inside and shutting it behind her carefully. Her movements, like her steps, were quiet and un-rushed, as if designed to make as little fuss as possible; such things came naturally to Druella by now – she hardly thought about this intention as it had sunk so far into her nature. Having done this, Druella turned around to face the professor properly, her expression un-changing, as was usual.

She dipped her head at the thanks from Cedrella; she had not had any doubts that she would accept, and hoped that the woman would not imagine she would be so rude as to refuse the graciousness. “It is kind of you to invite me,” she said quite formally, the maturity of her carefully restrained good manners not quite reaching her more childish, formal tone. She had never been eloquent, and mostly she was quiet.

When a seat was offered, she crossed to it, sitting delicately, and folding her hands in her lap. “Thank you.” She looked at Professor Black unobtrusively, awaiting the next instruction without obvious impatience.

--------------------

user posted image
^
Professor Black
Posted: Nov 5 2011, 07:02 AM

Group Icon

Cedrella glanced up, taking in her demure posture and averted gaze silently. She recognised that posture. She'd adopted it often herself -- and she understood the importance of it only too well. She wasn't even certain what it was that compelled her to want to nudge Druella Rosier to look a little more lively -- she certainly didn't mean to instruct her to abandon her present course, that would be foolhardy and ultimately unkind. Cedrella's own murky ambitions were hard enough to contend with, and this lesson was bound to be very much a case of do as I say, not as I do.

No, it wasn't a case in the least that she expected Druella Rosier to turn about and announce herself a feminist, but rather that now, ten years on and still battling for anything resembling a life of her own, Cedrella understood the value of the time she'd had at Hogwarts. Only in the microcosm of the school system had she had anything she could consider her own, and she missed bitterly that hard work, in those days, would be rewarded. It pained her to see Druella -- obviously intelligent and conscientious in her work -- content to be drowned out by blow hards like Gilbert Weasley. As a matter of principle she wanted the young women in her class -- especially the ones who were destined for a life of domesticity -- to have the chance to claim their own voices, because it was the last chance, she recognised unhappily, they might have.

"Why don't you tell me what you think went wrong, in your presentation?" Cedrella asked her. "Am I correct in asserting that Mr Weasley did little of the research, but most of the talking?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
Druella Rosier
Posted: Nov 10 2011, 05:54 PM

Group Icon

Druella sat exactly as she would have sat in class, or in her drawing room, or at dinner: her back exceptionally straight and her hands folded neatly in her lap. She looked forward without extreme expressiveness, though with attention to the professor, formality of posture and manner coming to her more naturally than giddiness or talkativeness would have, by now. She hardly thought about it; it just was.

She perhaps misunderstood why she was here. Her understanding was that her performance in class had not been accomplished, and she was willing to accept that and the consequences - although she was not pleased with being singled out for soem sort of sloppiness. She could not imagine that her brother or her parents would be delighted to know she was called in by a professor, and Professor Black, at that. However, her awareness of the situation did not quite extend to grasping the nature of Cedrella's desired instruction. She had read the letters to which she had replied, of course, but the suggestions Cedrella made were not ones likely to make an impression on Druella, whose conditioning went back many years, and whose perspective on herself and her role was so fixed that she hardly gave it second-thought.

She listened to the question, with some quiet shame at the use of the word 'wrong', which spoke clearly enough to her failure. Druella was not fond of the sort of attention one gained from being wrong: it was not something she experienced all too often. She glanced at her lap, and answered in a rather soft voice, "I apologise. I should have been more prepared to speak." Never very diplomatic in her speech, Druella sounded slightly more frank in tone than might be expected from her delicate gestures and carriage, "It was careless."

--------------------

user posted image
^
Professor Black
Posted: Nov 12 2011, 08:05 AM

Group Icon

"Perhaps. I suspect that you and I have a more clear understanding than most what it is that drives us in these matters, Druella," Cedrella replied, knitting her fingers together. "It must seem a little confusing, to be instructed to speak up in one arena but remain silent in another. I understand why you find it natural to defer to somebody like Mr Weasley, even though I was forced to mark you down for doing so."

She took a breath.

"Do try to remember that the academic world is separate, socially, from your other obligations. It is perfectly within your right and reason to speak up in that situation, especially --" when it comes to that little ginger ingrate "--when it is your own work you are presenting."

Cedrella watched her carefully. She had found it much easier to do once she'd been prodded through her etiquette training, loathe though she had been at the time to admit it. It wasn't that she had stopped being a little shy and awkward, but that she had discovered the perfect way to disguise it.

"Perhaps I might be of some assistance," she finished. "Once you know how to effectively interrupt and present yourself it becomes far easier to do it."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
Druella Rosier
Posted: Dec 20 2011, 11:46 PM

Group Icon

In fact, Druella had never felt confused by her instructions in the slightest. Her education had been clear, and strict - the parameters of her behaviour and purpose laid out for her from an early age, and she had absorbed these instructions with steady obedience and perfect manners. In fact, though subconsciously there might be complexities to Druella's understanding of herself, the requirements of her behaviour had always been steadfastly easy, and second-nature to her.

Her contradiction to Cedrella's assertion, however, she kept entirely to herself - in line with those exact requirements. She focused her gaze downwards respectfully, pale and demure as ever. She did not have academic aspirations, nor did she think that it would be particularly appropriate for her to. Though Foras sometimes encouraged her studies, she was certain that he would not encourage her to debate, or to assert herself publicly. "I understand the difference," she said, instead of any of the rest - this was truthful enough. She understood what the professor was saying, even if she did not aspire to it.

When Cedrella finished, Druella was not quite sure what to make of the offer. Her manners, of course, required her to accept the assistance, but she knew very well that she could not appropriate it without compromising herself. It was a strange dilemma, and not one that even began to show on her smooth complexion. "I am very appreciative of your advice," she said finally, very carefully, aware that she was skirting the offer slightly, and not too elegantly - elegant speech was not her forte, "You are very generous to me." This was for the most part a re-statement, and Druella hoped it was polite enough that she might be excused - though she didn't think that Cedrella had seemed finished.

--------------------

user posted image
^
Professor Black
Posted: Dec 23 2011, 05:37 PM

Group Icon

Cedrella wasn't sure whether she ought to interpret Druella's awkwardness as slowness or not. She seemed bright enough in the class, but studious brightness and the ability to communicate in veiled woman's code were two quite separate things. When she didn't respond positively at once Cedrella began to question herself, not her motives, but her position. Druella had plenty of opportunity to take word of ruination back to her parents. Without an immediate warm reception to the idea, Cedrella was inclined to play safe.

"Gilbert Weasley is significantly beneath you, Druella," she said plainly, "not only in status but in talent and in his ability to contribute constructively to the class. What I mean to impart is that you wouldn't be out of bounds to demonstrate a little tenacity, particularly when it comes to certain peers."

This was a marginally edited version of her original tack, but it was very much true. If Walburga could throw her weight around with impunity, Druella certainly could take the reins in a class presentation. Cedrella wasn't sure why it made her a little anxious to find Druella Rosier so lacking in fire, there was plenty of precedent to suggest she was projecting, but nevertheless the sight of her reminded Cedrella of her own powerlessness.

She didn't like it.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
Druella Rosier
Posted: Jan 20 2012, 01:40 PM

Group Icon

Fire was far from anything that showed in Druella's mannerisms and complexion. She sat on her chair as straight and erect as when she had first arrived, her posture strict and refined enough to have belonged to a much older woman, so as to give her a strange sort of elegant awkwardness, and displacement. She never thought of her behaviour as such, of course, as it was what she had consistently been trained to think important, and therefore necessary. It came to her so naturally now that she hardly considered it - and certainly never in disapproval.

She listened to Cedrella's speech with care and then nodded slightly, inclining her head and dropping her gaze to the tips of her knees again, most respectfully. Argument was not in her nature, nor would it have been appropriate in the situation. She had no sense of herself as assertive or tenacious, or desire to be, but it would be best to avoid embarrassing herself further, in their interview. "I can do my best," she agreed quietly, though her answer and manner did not suggest that she had appropriated much change. She felt uncomfortable in the encounter in a way that she was not used to, and found herself desiring to be excused, even though she would not think of asking to be.

--------------------

user posted image
^
Professor Black
Posted: Jan 22 2012, 05:53 AM

Group Icon

Cedrella couldn't fathom that Druella might be content with her position. And, if she had, she would have presumed rather dismissively that at fourteen she had no idea what she wanted or why, and that she was wrong about her own preferences. She was categorically incapable of seeing the other side of things, such was her immersion in her own deceitfulness. She spent the majority of her time in life juggling a set of lies, lies for her family, lies for her colleagues and even small lies for her students. She was quite certain that none of them knew a single thing about her, and the fear that they might one day begin to compare notes was the sort of thing that kept her awake at night. She pursed her lips briefly.

"Is everything all right, Druella? This isn't evidence of a larger issue, I hope. You can tell me anything you feel you need to in absolute confidence."

Cedrella wasn't sure how to make that idea stick, either. 'Absolute confidence' wasn't a concept that truly existed amongst pureblooded families, there were secrets, and there was blackmail, and there was the bloodcurdling moment when one realised that one was tied to another's will and whim for the rest of one's life to keep things under wraps, but there was no sense at all of camaraderie or loyalty amongst them. The moment she said the words she knew she didn't expect Druella to take her up on them.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
Druella Rosier
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 02:53 PM

Group Icon

It wasn't, for Druella, really a question of content or otherwise. It had never occurred to her even that she might not be content, or how she might have gone about it. If something existed in her subconsciously, it was possibly unsettling, but not clear enough to be discontent, which would have required more analysis of herself than she could boast. Rather like Cedrella, though very differently, she had difficulty thinking of other perspectives, or even desiring to do so. It wasn't a concept that came naturally to her, or that had ever been encouraged: it didn't even occur.

So she only sat as straight as she had for the interview so far, pressing her hands neatly in her lap, her eyes glancing up, but never staring. The inquiry did surprise her: she was having difficulty understanding Cedrella's reaction to her. From her understanding, she had so far acted only extremely correctly throughout their conversation - she saw none of this as symptoms of anything, except good behaivour, and couldn't imagine how Professor Black could object to that. Still, she responded typically politely. "Everything is quite alright, thank you. I cannot think that why I might be troubled."

She paused a moment, a little awkwardly, smooth conversation not being her greatest strength, before adding, "But you are kind for your offer."

--------------------

user posted image
^
Professor Black
Posted: Mar 4 2012, 12:40 PM

Group Icon

"So long as you know that it stands," Cedrella said, wishing fervently that she could be a little more open. At that age she would have given anything for a confidante she could trust to keep things secret, but it hadn't existed, and she wasn't sure how she might prove herself trustworthy to someone like Druella either, if she even wanted it to begin with.

"Next time you're presenting work I'd like to see you taking a more active role," she added, to bring it back to the subject, "I will see Gilbert on his conduct as well."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options
add reply
New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 1.2679 seconds | Archive
something wicked skinned by novia of rcr and shadowplay