welcome to chimera!

CHIMERA is a riddle-era roleplay.

It is currently October of 1942, three years after the beginning of WWII and Grindelwald's war.

We are accepting canons and originals.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

MOVED
CHIME HAS MOVED! Follow us!

add reply
New Poll

watching + waiting, open to anyone
Adrian Nott
Posted: Dec 27 2011, 01:07 AM

played by robert -------------------- 5th year
Group Icon

Group: Slytherin
Member No.: 481

It was quite often that Adrian found himself in a position to snoop-- after all, they lived year after year together in a giant castle, and there were bound to be times that he had free to simply meander along, allowing the shadows to hide him out of site as he... listened into conversations that were not his own. That is to say, of course, that he made the time to spy on people, because otherwise he wouldn't be Adrian Nott. He would just be some Slytherin pureblood boy who had fallen in with other wealthy and powerful friends. But this way he could make his own power. Sort of.

In any case, currently he was crouched behind a bookshelf, in a section on Goblin rebellions in the fifth and sixth centuries, so he was fairly certain that nobody was going to stumble upon his hiding place. But on the other side of that particular bookshelf was one of the many study tables scattered throughout the library, and the occupants at this table were having a conversation that Adrian found quite interesting. One that he was filing away in his memory for use against them later, because there was never a piece of interesting gossip that he didn't think, optimistically, might be useful for later.

Unfortunately, he may have made one too many self-satisfied sighs of a snooping-well-done, as he heard footsteps approaching from his right-- and that was the only way to get out of the space he was currently wedged into.
^
Carling Whisp
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 09:59 PM

played by dutchie -------------------- 4th year
Group Icon

Group: Hufflepuff
Member No.: 509

It wasn't the strange sighing that had lured Carling over to the section of the library that featured lengthy histories of Goblin rebellions so much as it was an attempt to sneak a book back into a hopefully unoccupied area. In fact, Carling didn't even notice the evidence of a person in the exact location she was heading for, too wrapped up in her own sneaking to notice Adrian Nott's. It was only once she was at the mouth of the alcove that she saw him tucked between the shelves and she froze at the sighting.

Like Nott, Carling had chosen this section of the library because she assumed no one else would be there. Though Professor Binns assigned essays on goblin rebellions from that time period, they were rare and, really, most didn't go out of their way to do much research outside of the books they'd already bought in the beginning of the year. Like Nott, Carling had simply figured that it would be empty and abandoned and, therefore, the perfect place to hide the book.

It had, at one point, been a book on the inclusion of other magical creatures in wizarding society and, though it technically still was, most of the text was obscured by a strange, dark stain that had result from when Carling had tried to magick away the pumpkin juice she'd spilled. The pages were brittle and rumpled in the way that pages are after they dry out, holding the motion of the liquid despite it's absence. For all intents and purposes, it was ruined. While a better solution would probably have been to throw the book out or burn it, Carling hadn't been able to bring herself to do so, convinced that someone would find out and trace it back to her somehow, so her planned course of action would be to simply slip it back into a shelf that, hopefully, no one would ever really visit and the book would remain undiscovered for years to come.

It did not appear that that would be the case.

"Oh!" Carling exclaimed when she finally unfroze, coming back to the moment. Hurriedly, she took a few clumsy steps away from him, hiding the book as effectively as she could manage behind her back. "Sorry, I, erm, didn't realize someone was using these shelves."

--------------------
user posted image
^
Adrian Nott
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 01:21 PM

Group Icon

Adrian shot up from his crouching position immediately, an excuse for why he was there springing to his tongue before he had even figured out who it was that had found him. And when he figured it out, he swallowed the excuse immediately; he certainly didn't have to justify his whereabouts to a fourth year Hufflepuff, especially one that looked about as likely to get into a physical fight with him than a newborn kitten. Instead, he drew himself up to his full, and rather impressive, height, crossing his arms over his chest.

"What's behind your back?" he asked pointedly.

But instead of waiting for an answer, Adrian stepped around her and grabbed for the book, wrenching it out of her hands. Initially, his face fell-- he had expected it to actually be something interesting, not just some silly book. And not even a book that this girl was forbidden to have, but just some silly book that actually went in this section. What was the fun in that?

On a hunch, he flipped through it, feeling vindicated when he realized that there were huge black splotches over what seemed like the majority of pages. He would have thought it was ink, but there was something off about it.

"This isn't very responsible," he said, frowning down at her. "Oughtn't you speak to a Professor about you ruining school property?"
^
Carling Whisp
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 02:14 PM

Group Icon

As Nott straightened up, Carling shrunk back, rounding her shoulders forward in an unconscious move to make herself even smaller and less frightening. I am not a threat, she seemed to be saying without speaking, tucking the book even further behind her in a bid to keep it entirely out of sight and past noticing. Though she expected that he might be curious as to what she was holding, she didn't know him hardly at all and certainly didn't expect him to come and actually take the book from her.

"Nothing," she protested even as he strode towards her. Her eyes widened as he moved forward and grasped the book, and she felt her own fingers tighten their hold in a short game of tug-of-war for the book. Instantly when the book slipped from her hands, Carling flushed, taking a defensive step away from him again and clasping her hands in front of her, worrying her fingers nervously. He might only be another student, but he was older and a Slytherin and, oh, Merlin, what if he was a prefect and had simply forgotten to wear his badge?

She winced as he looked through the book, discovering the mess she'd made of it, shrugging uncomfortably as he addressed her. "I didn't mean to," she mumbled, looking away. "It was an accident, I was only trying to fix it," she explained futher, turning her gaze instead to him in an unspoken plea for him to understand. And not give her detention.

--------------------
user posted image
^
Adrian Nott
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 11:35 PM

Group Icon

Adrian raised his eyebrows, unsure of how she had managed to screw it up so badly-- that is, she seemed to imply that it looked like that because she had done something else and then tried to fix it. He couldn't exactly tell what she had done in the first place, but whatever she did-- whatever she had done to try to fix it had only made a hardened, blackened mess on the page. He wasn't exactly handy with household spells, because they had house elves, after all, but he knew a couple of things for cleaning up small spills when he didn't feel the need to call for one of them. After all, he may have been spoiled, but he wasn't a brat...

So he didn't bother trying to fix it himself, because he had no doubt that he could only make it worse, as she had.

"Here's the thing--" he didn't know her name, so he just gave a little pause and nod-- "Perhaps I want to check this book out now, and I happen to pull it out of the shelf and bring it to the desk, and say, 'The last person who checked this book out must've mucked it all up. Perhaps if you check the records on it, you'll see who it is...' Then where will you be, huh? Did you ever think of that?"
^
Carling Whisp
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 10:06 PM

Group Icon

Though Carling had probably heard Nott's name around the castle, probably from Slytherin classmates or older Hufflepuff housemates, she only knew vaguely of the reputation he had and did not connect it with the boy standing in front of her who was, by all intents and purposes, a stranger. All she knew for certain was that he was a Slytherin and, really, that wasn't much to go on. Not that Carling would have been especially cunning about dealing with him even if she had more information.

Without the knowledge that the boy in front of her was a confirmed snoop and that his warning was most certainly an implied threat, Carling grasped only on to the hope that it was a genuine concern of his. Instead of frowning, she perked up a bit, optimistic that she might have found a solution. "I took notes on it!" Her voice was a bit louder than she intended with the small rush of cheer at her new prospects, and she gave him a small smile. "You don't have to check it out - I took notes on it before I spilled!"

Even as she continued, her smile faltered. Optimistic or not, and whether or not the chance really was there, the tone he had used wasn't especially promising and the look he was giving her was certainly not encouraging either. "If you need them," she added as an afterthought that came out as a sort of squeak as her mood dampened again. Either way, though, regardless of whether he wanted to borrow the notes or note or take the book out or not, the predicament he had proposed remained.

The excited look she'd had only a moment before dampened considerably, a worried look taking its place. "Are you going to tell the librarian?" she asked quietly, biting down on the inside of her cheek as she dreaded the answer.

--------------------
user posted image
^
Adrian Nott
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 07:04 PM

Group Icon

Adrian didn't even bother to hide the fact that he rolled his eyes at her offer; obviously she wasn't savvy enough to understand what he was implying, instead believing that he would want to check out such a godawful, boring book. As though Adrian would ever bother himself with something like that. Besides, even if he were going to check out the book, her notes would hardly be a good substitute for the source material, especially if he had to cite the pages or something.

"Listen, I have no interest in this book or your notes. I bet you're terrible at taking notes anyway, being a... what are you? A second year?"

Without waiting for her to respond, he pretended to consider her question. Was he going to tell the Librarian? Oh, certainly not, that would be showing his hand far too early. The thing about having dirt on people was that-- revealing it was really the worst thing you could do. Once you actually told on them, there was nothing tying them to you at all. They had to accept their punishment and move on, and then you had no power over them at all.

"I don't know. How can you convince me not to?"
^
Carling Whisp
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 08:11 PM

Group Icon

She didn't have much time to be appropriately embarrassed by his response, his terse dismissal of her offer and insult to her intelligence. Admittedly, the notes probably weren't great, but he certainly had no way of knowing that. She flushed at his accusation of being a bad student as a look of hurt flashed across her face, but no sound came out when she opened her mouth to deny being twelve years old, to rebut his point. But he was moving on quickly, already considering her question, and she couldn't bring herself to interrupt him when he was - hopefully - considering giving her the benefit of the doubt.

At his answer, though, Carling's face drained of color. She may not have been the most savvy student at Hogwarts, and she was certainly more trusting and believing that she had any reason to be, but even she couldn't find any other meaning in his words than blackmail. The cold slither of unease in her stomach wasn't helping. After a moment of dimly opening and closing her mouth like a fish, she finally managed to spit words on, eyes even wider than they'd been before.

"I don't - I don't know. You don't want my notes and - and I don't have any money or anything. I could knit you a scarf or a hat or something, if you wanted but I-"

She cut herself off, silencing the offer that she was sure he wouldn't be interested in anyway. She shifted uncomfortable in the alcove, looking pained by the situation and entirely unsure of how else to respond.

"It's only a book..."

--------------------
user posted image
^
Adrian Nott
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 09:49 PM

Group Icon

"It's not only a book," he said with faked vehemence, as though the institution of the library was somehow sacred to him, rather than just a good source of information (from the books and from the same sort of spying he'd been engaging in earlier). He had no special feelings toward the library, and although he liked academics, he was hardly one of those students for whom that was the only thing they had going for them. "Do you even know how much these books cost? Some of the books in here could cost more than your entire family is worth, did you ever think of that?"

He shook his head disdainfully.

"So what happens when they find out it was you who ruined this book, and they look the book up and realize that it's so rare that your mum and dad need to sell their house just to pay back the school? Or maybe it's a one of a kind and you've destroyed the only copy, hm? How do you suppose they'll replace a one of a kind?"
^
Carling Whisp
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 05:20 AM

Group Icon

Carling flinched at the sudden shift in his tone of voice, stumbling back a small step out of surprise. It was instinctual to snap her head up to look at him, to properly look at his face while he was scolding her, but as soon as she did so she wished she hadn't. His expression was just as sour, just as stern as his words, and she reached up to cross an arm protectively across her chest, curling her shoulders inward as she finally tore her gaze away, turning her guilty face to the ground instead.

It hadn't been a thought that occurred to her when she'd destroyed the book - that it might be valuable or rare. She'd been horrified with herself, certainly, but she hadn't dreamed that it might be something to concern her whole family. Yes, she'd assume that Kenny would likely not be pleased - if not with her clumsiness than at least with her poor spell work in the one class she was supposed to do decent in - and that had factored into hiding it, but she hadn't thought...

The Whisps didn't have much money as it was. Carling's father had already had to take on an extremely rigorous job to support them years ago when she'd been just a baby, they couldn't afford to simply pay up the money or buy a new house. Her father would have to take on a second job to pay for the book, her mum would have to start working, Grandmum and Grandfather - What if Beardsley had to give up his dream of professional Quidditch and Kenny had to drop out of school so they could go around the countryside degnoming gardens to pay for the book that she'd ruined?

It was only at the end of Nott's speech that Carling looked up at him and realized her vision had gone blurry with tears, and she sniffed loudly as she reached up to quickly wipe one away before he noticed. "Please don't tell," she whimpered, biting down on her bottom lip to keep it from trembling. "We can't lose our house, my grandparents - Please, please don't tell. I'll knit you a hat or a sweater! I'll knit you an entire outfit! What-whatever you want!"

--------------------
user posted image
^
Adrian Nott
Posted: Mar 1 2012, 11:47 PM

Group Icon

Adrian frowned, swallowing down any further words that he was going to say. He may have been a manipulative asshole, he may have been emotionally abusive to people about their secrets, and he may have been the worst suck-up in Hogwarts history, but one thing he wasn't was heartless. And seeing a girl -- especially one that was younger than he, and one that didn't seem... particularly headstrong, at that -- cry, well... that was bad enough to leave the words dying on his tongue. No matter how much of a gossip he was, there seemed to be something simply cruel about making her cry and fear for her family's well-being. That is, well, he never thought that she would take it that badly when he made the off-hand suggestion of the book's worth. Most students probably would have shaken their heads and argued back that it wasn't too likely for the book to be rare like that.

But this one seemed a little bit naive.

"I won't tell," he found himself saying before he could think not to.
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options
add reply
New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.6807 seconds | Archive
something wicked skinned by novia of rcr and shadowplay