welcome to chimera!

CHIMERA is a riddle-era roleplay.

It is currently October of 1942, three years after the beginning of WWII and Grindelwald's war.

We are accepting canons and originals.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

MOVED
CHIME HAS MOVED! Follow us!

add reply
New Poll

the high untrespassed sanctity of space, arnold
Antares Lestrange
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 04:04 PM

played by lacy -------------------- 5th year
Group Icon

Group: Slytherin
Member No.: 133

Antares sometimes fancied himself to have the worst fortune imaginable. He had been born into an old lineage, certainly, but one that had already been sunk to ruin. He would inherit a grand mansion, but with absolutely nothing of value inside it. He had a mother who understood all the proper ideals of pureblood virtue, but was recklessly spending what was left of her dowry, instead of reasonably conserving it.

And now, for some reason, he was paired in a group project with Arnold Peasegood.

Naturally, he had tried to avoid the "group" part of the project as much as possible, at first. He had started up a stiff correspondence with Peasegood, acknowledging the pairing and suggesting they work separately. Such an approach, Antares figured, was completely reasonable, and would save himself much pain and suffering. However, mercy was not to be granted. Peasegood had some idealized notion about the glories of working together, apparently, and unerringly requested, again and again, that they meet in person to accomplish their objectives. Eventually, because these attempts were so grating to him, Antares finally decided that it would be best to meet after all and get it over with as quickly as possible - rather that than waste more parchment writing to him.

It was with great reluctance that he approached the library during their appointed time. Though he dreaded the meeting, he was nonetheless punctual, and arrived five minutes beforehand. He carried the appropriate textbooks, some parchments and quills, and a thoroughly displeased expression.

--------------------
user posted image
^
Arnold Peasegood
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 07:43 PM

played by pip -------------------- 5th year
Group Icon

Group: Gryffindor
Member No.: 306

Arnold really was excited that Antares Lestrange (now that was a proper wizarding name!) had finally decided that it was okay for the pair of them to actually meet up in the library and work on their project together. He'd tried to suggest that they start it earlier, but apparently Antares had some sort of funny thing against working together. But that was okay! He'd managed to convince Antares otherwise and now they were going to meet in the library and work together properly, like group projects ought to be.

And, gosh, he was making another friend in Slytherin. Hopefully the Gryffindor Quidditch team wouldn't give him too much grief about Antares, who Arnold knew was on the Slytherin Quidditch team and therefore slightly less open for friendship than Alastor was. Even if Alastor had called him a slimy shit (and Arnold had gaped at the language; surely he couldn't be all that bad), Arnold had utmost faith that this would go well.

Naturally, Arnold was running late for their meeting, his arms full of textbooks and quills and some parchment and all sorts of exciting things that weren't even relevant to ancient runes in the slightest. He was sprinting down the stairs from Gryffindor Tower, his glasses askew, his robes rumbled, his tie half undone since he'd given up trying to fix the knot in the mirror and figure he shouldn't be too late to the library. As it wasn't, he skidded in through the front doors of the library a whole ten minutes late, out of breath, elbow freshly skinned from where he'd tripped on the last step down from the tower, and beaming like it was the best day of his life.

"Hi, Antares!" he said brightly, struggling to keep his voice at a volume more appropriate to the library. "Sorry I'm late! I fell asleep and then I had to run downstairs! I hope you haven't been waiting too long?" He dumped his things onto the table across from the Slytherin and sat down, still trying to catch his breath. "I'm really excited for this project, I think we're going to get an O, don't you?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
Antares Lestrange
Posted: Jan 20 2012, 08:00 PM

Group Icon

Antares had chosen a table far from the center of the library, and there had sat sullenly for the ten minutes it had taken Arnold Peasegood to arrive. His books were arranged meticulously around him - for he was organized and thoughtful when it came to academics - and a scroll was freshly unfurled, ready alongside a quill and inkwell. This preparation was not at all out of respect for his project with Peasegood, but a determination to finish the torture as soon as humanly possible.

When the minute hand moved steadily past the hour, he scowled briefly and opened one of his books, rummaging through the pages while he waited for his partner. It figured that Peasegood would be late, despite his enthusiasm for the idea. Muggle-borns were a messy, disheveled sort, unfit to be relied on for anything. This quiet frustration worked in him as the seconds crawled by, until, at long last, he was joined at the table.

He cast an unimpressed eye over the profile of Peasegood, no sympathy touching his expression at the idea of the other boy having rushed so quickly to the library. He should have been more organized. He resisted the urge to scowl at the childish - and improper - cheer of Peasegood, so unlike and offensive to his own temperament, and instead forced himself to turn his attention to the project on hand. He reminded himself, for the twentieth time, that the sooner they started, the sooner they would finish.

"Yes, I'm sure," he said dryly, and tonelessly. "Should we get started, then?"

--------------------
user posted image
^
Arnold Peasegood
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 02:16 AM

Group Icon

Arnold's things had spread over into Antares's space, although he failed to notice the asymmetry of his spare parchment and quills and loosely-capped inkwell rolling around the table and ruining the perfection that the Slytherin had prepared while waiting for him to show up. Then again, Arnold hardly ever noticed those sort of things, living and functioning in a sort of sloppily-organised mess that Alastor had more than once expressed despair over.

"We should!" he said, gathering up his things into a semblance of order that was passable as long as you didn't look too close at it (he'd put his inkwell upside down, still unused even after three years to working in quill and ink and wishing that professors accepted work done in ballpoint pen, which was so much easier to write with, really) and opening his textbook to a random page then looking up at his partner, taking a moment to push his glasses up his nose in a characteristic gesture.

Antares looked like he must be having a miserable day. (Alastor said he always looked like that, but Arnold had an intrinsic faith in humanity that not even his best friend could dampen.) Maybe Arnold could do something about it! He loved brightening people's days, especially if they looked like they weren't having a very good one.

"Are you okay, Antares?" he asked curiously, shuffling his papers again with his hands that just couldn't remain still, already tapping his foot on the ground. "I mean, no offence or anything, but you don't look like you're having a very good day."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
Antares Lestrange
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 05:01 PM

Group Icon

Antares stared at the parchment and quills that Peasegood heaped onto the table, many of which passed over the invisible halfway boundary that delineated his personal space. Already deeply annoyed, both by this intrusion (and messiness) as well as his lack of punctuality - nevermind that his vexation was disproportionate to the unintentional crimes - his lips thinned and a muscle twitched for all of a moment under his eye.

He almost flinched, as well, at the bright enthusiasm inherent in Peasegood's voice. To him, it struck him as painfully eager - especially since his own demeanor was exceptionally reserved. He disliked loudness and flamboyant cheer, which struck him as not only unsettling but vapid; he did not look deeper into his reasons for disliking other people's happiness.

He was in the middle of telling himself, for the umpteenth time, to suffer it quietly and work through it quickly - when Peasegood spoke again, this time making some comment about not having a good day. Irrationally annoyed, he bit back the reaction that came first, which would have been blatantly rude. Instead, in a detached and distinctly cold tone, he answered, "I am having a perfectly good day."

There was some humor in this response, mixed with the discrepancy in his dismal expression - but he did not notice his contradiction. Instead, he turned to the textbook that was laying open on the desk in front of him. "I trust you have brought the appropriate supplies. Have you looked over the project yet?"

--------------------
user posted image
^
Arnold Peasegood
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 12:12 PM

Group Icon

Arnold had never really been too talented at picking up things like irony or even amusing contradictions, tending to take things at face value. So, despite the dreary look on his face and the coldness of his voice, when Antares Lestrange said that he was having a perfectly good day, Arnold believed him. After all, he could never see any reason for saying something that wasn't true - that was just silly! If Antares was having the bad day that his face and tone suggested (unless, of course, that was just the way he looked all the time, and thne Arnold couldn't really say anything), then it was just silly of him to say anything else.

Therefore, according to Arnold's logic of Antares's psychology, he really was having a good day.

But before he could let Antares know exactly how glad he was that the Slytherin's day was going better than his face suggested, the other fifth year turned to the textbook. For Arnold, group projects usually consisted of nearly endless irrelevant chatter that made the project take care longer than it actually should (what was the point of being in a group if you didn't talk and meet new people, after all?), but apparently someone was very eager to get things started.

So he smiled brightly and opened his own textbook to the pages that Alastor had marked for him. "Er, yes," he said, running his finger down the page past his own messy scrawl and Alastor's infinitely neater handwriting that filled the margins. "And I hope I brought everything. Oh, my inkwell's rolled over there, you couldn't hand it to me, could you?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options
add reply
New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2196 seconds | Archive
something wicked skinned by novia of rcr and shadowplay