When Grindelwald first rose to power and tales of his destruction spread, a student coalition not unlike the future Dumbledore's Army came into formation. These Hogwarts students banded together in opposition to the threat plaguing Europe, and were intent on doing everything they could to aid the resistance - even though they were not yet of age. Founded by responsible and resourceful Gryffindors, this group was initially well-informed and well-intentioned; they met regularly to exchange news on the Dark Army, learn defense spells of more depth, and send resources by owl to those in need. Naturally, as the enterprise was by no means sanctioned by the school, these affairs (and the recruitment) were conducted secretively. Nevertheless, rumors surfaced of their doings, most of them respectful.
That was then. This is now. And currently, the Coalition has become something of a joke.
Since the graduation of some of the finer members, the leadership has continued to pass down to fellow Gryffindors, but the direction and intent has become rather...muddled. The Coalition stills maintains relative secrecy concerning its happenings, and in professed ideology, at least, the resistance against Grindelwald is spoken aloud as the goal.
But these noble sentiments are no longer really actively pursued, but rather a front, perhaps even an excuse. Fresh recruits are given a series of difficult tasks to complete, and for their first year, they must basically do whatever the leadership tells them to do, questions aside. In the beginning, these tasks and commands were relevant, but now they amount to little but feats of meaningless nerve, performed for entertainment or material gain (such as obtaining alcohol). The leaders in turn enjoy a position of advantage, and the whole organization is now heavily elitist and hedonistic - especially with how often members of the group are found in parties. You might go so far to say the Coalition resembles a muggle fraternity.
All in all, they give a bad name to Gryffindors.
Below are character requests for five characters within the group - three of them in the upper tier and two naive recruits soon intent on reforming the structure and regaining the goals. Of course, there are more than five members in the whole coalition, so if you feel as though your character should be in the group or wants to be in the group, please shoot me a pm and we'll shuffle you in. Alternatively, you can wait until the IC recruitment process of the Coalition, which will be fun as well. Reasons for joining the Coalition include either going in with eyes wide (for the parties and for the eventual benefit of lower years doing what you want) or with eyes closed (believing the goals to be legitimate). Other houses besides Gryffindor are welcome to join as well, though the leader makes it difficult for them on the basis of his prejudice.
The factoids about them are generalized suggestions only - feel free to flesh out the characters however you like, as long as it doesn't contradict what's already been said.
L E A D E R S
At the very top of the pyramid, what they say goes.
RUDOLF BRAND, gryffindor, seventh year
MAGNUS "DENT-HEAD" MACDONALD
- official leader of the group
- also captain of the quidditch team, and certainly cares more about broomsticks than the objectives of the Coalition
- so exceptionally arrogant and vain that it is near blinding
- prejudiced against purebloods as well as members of other houses; believes gryffindor to be infinitely superior
- somewhat misogynistic, though ironically he is also most susceptible to girls
- loves alcohol, parties, and excitement
- loud and swaggering, but has his occasional charm
- treats the Coalition like one big fraternity
- despite all this, has a strong sense of fair play
- has either disregarded or forgotten about the original intent of the group
, gryffindor, seventh year
- best friends with rudolf brand and fellow quidditch player
- incorrectly perceived as unintelligent; the reality is that he is merely excessively stubborn, and has an affinity for muggle brawling
- after hagrid, probably the second tallest and strongest student
- intimidating, not only because of his physical exterior but also his rough mannerisms
- very loyal and very protective of those who get close to him
- constantly enabling rudolf
- loves a good laugh and joke, and therefore enjoys hazing the new members
- has a bit of a temper
- not at all academic
KENNILWORTHY WHISP, gryffindor, sixth year
- more easygoing, reasonable, and modest than either of the other two
- quidditch enthusiast, goes on to write "quidditch through the ages," and admires rudolf and magnus accordingly
- sort of geekish and bookish, bullied when he initially came to hogwarts
- taken under wing by rudolf in his first year, and the trio have been close friends since
- genuinely guilty about the direction the coalition has taken, but equally susceptible to the influence of the other two
- has a clever sense of humor, and can always make magnus laugh
- tries to look out for new members
R E F O R M E R S
Intent on joining the Coalition this year for the purposes of anti-Grindelwald efforts, but soon find themselves in a joke of an organization and forced to go through elaborate rituals to become members. They decide to band together and work to reform the group - soon to cause conflict, of course, in the established order.
, gryffindor, fifth year
- idealistic, naive, and driven
- at first will drink in every word spoken by rudolf, and go about all his assigned tasks enthusiastically
- subsequently alarmed when he's informed the Coalition's "resistance" is nothing more than a joke at this point
- rather sheltered, awkward around girls, never intended to sip alcohol before the legal age
- currently comes off as wide-eyed and relatively harmless, typically dismissed as "cute"
- genuinely wants to pursue the right goals, however
- has to resist being taken in by the leadership's magnetism
- good friends with alastor gumboil
, slytherin, fifth year
- serious, goal-oriented, ambitious, suspicious
- perceived as lacking a sense of humor
- immediately suspected because of his slytherin background, and has a hard time convincing the leaders that he is not a spy
- has recently lost a family member to grindelwald's army
- judgmental of the way rudolf conducts meetings, and resistant to magnus' hazing efforts
- will attempt to sway kennilworthy against his friends and help them reform
- although the same age, acts like a big brother to arthur
and now dent-head as well