Index  ·   Newbie Guide  ·   Helpful Links  ·   Character Master List  ·   Search  ·   Members  ·   Staff  ·   Cbox
Welcome to Charming!
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

· CALENDAR ·
July 1883

4: 12: 19: 26:
S M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
· CURRENT EVENTS ·
M.D
EVENT
07.01 07.21 QWC: France vs. Japan
07.01 07.15 Student Staff Applications
07.10 Thread Roulette
07.13 Maroc's Greek Mythology Costume Ball
07.31 Student Staff Announced
07.01 07.31 July Writing Challenge
07.01 07.31 Posting Wizard of the Month
· NEWS ·
07.25 @ 10:07am
Reminder: Posting and new registration abilities will be turned OFF tomorrow 07/26 at 6pm CST as we begin the moving process. The cbox will still work - you can check there for updates or our tumblr.

07.23 @ 6:13pm
In preparation for the move, all active Coming Out Ball threads have been moved to The Past forum.

07.21 @ 12:07pm
Just a reminder that we are moving in 5 days! If this is news to you, read up on it here! Posting Wizard signups for August are now open!

07.15 @ 11:19pm
The deactivations for the July activity check have been completed with list cleanup underway; for reactivations, please post in Maintenence.

07.10 @ 10:25am
This month's thread roulette pairings have been posted!

07.07 @ 11:54am
Check out our latest newsletter for some big news!

07.01 @ 9:28am
We are now in the month of July. Congrats to Beanie and Lauren, who won posting wizard of June with 82 and 132 posts respectively!

» Reply » New Topic

»  Cuddlefish, Private
Nero Bloxam
Posted: Jan 13 2012, 06:54 PM

Upper Class — Wizengamot Court Scribe

Group: Deceased
Member No.: 662

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
It was strange. Very strange indeed. Nero had seen Xene only once since their first meeting but even before the second time he had seen her, he had found himself fascinated by her, his thoughts returning to her when he had no intention of them doing so. What did it mean? Well, to him it meant he had to see her again and more frequently but he had faced the trouble brought by the snow and the fact that the lake had frozen over. Not to mention there was the problem that the Black Lake was expansive and so any unannounced visits would almost certainly go unnoticed by the one mermaid in the lake he wished to see.

That morning, Nero had taken more care with his choice in clothing and how he looked. He had arranged his hair neatly and chosen gentle shades of deep blue for his robes. He was quite nervous really and he wasn't entirely sure why that was so. Nevertheless, he descended the steps leading to the front door of his house confidently, deciding he would walk down the drive and then apparate instead of taking a carriage all the way. Sometimes he just liked to walk, especially at present as he wanted to clear his head a little.

Once he reached the end his drive having successfully avoided slipping on the gravel that was slick with snow and ice, there was an almighty 'crack' and Nero vanished only to reappear on the edge of the Black Lake.

Nero knelt down at the edge of the water and waited, taking out the bracelet that she had given him on their first meeting from an inner pocket, he waited for her.

Tag: Xene Words: 282
created by kay of caution and sds

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Xene
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 10:23 AM

Merchieftainess's Daughter

Member No.: 525

Xene was happy. She usually was, but this time she was exceptionally so. She was off to go look at the land walkers and hoping that her new friend Nero would be there. They’d only ever met twice, but she already had some weird bond to him. An attachment of sorts, whatever you wanted to call it, she was infatuated. Of course, this was not known to the young mer who in her naivety thought of it as nothing more than a usual friendship accompanied by a weird fluttering in her gut. It was most odd indeed, she thought, but she didn’t think much of it past that. It was just another sense of nervousness, and perhaps she was just a bit nervous around him still. He was new after all, she didn’t know much about him.

Swimming to through the lake she thought on Nero some more. He was quite nice to look at, very different from the female land walkers she had known. And much more older looking than the one male land walker she spoke to, Ben. Yes, his looks were quite attractive to Xene. Very different from those of the male mers she knew, very different indeed with his lighter hair color and eyes as gray as the sky at the beginning of a storm. He was most interesting looking indeed, she thought, with the same fluttering feeling in her gut.

It didn’t take long for her to reach the surface, smiling broadly as she did, seeing Nero sitting there on the edge of the shoreline. She swam over to him and leaned against the shoreline, giving him a smile. “You haven’t been waiting long, have you?” she asked with a smile. Surely it was cold outside, and she didn’t want him to catch any of those land walker sicknesses that she’d heard about. It would be most distressing for her to lose her friend so soon after she’d met him. The thought made her feel panicky, but she pushed it aside.

Smiling merrily she said, “How have you been Nero?” and inclined her head to the side. She was studying him as though she’d never seen him before, still unable to comprehend how a land walker could be so appealing to her. It was surely odd, but she was a bit odd compared to most mers. She was used to that. Still studying him, she awaited a response.

tag Nero | words 403 | notestharrr she blows!
Template by Emily

--------------------
twenty-one. happy. six feet tall. naive. human lover. writer. follower. music lover.
user posted image

About Xene
LOLA MADE THAT PERFECT SET. CRYING.
user posted image
user posted image user posted image

Thanks to an anonymous wizard, Xene was given legs and lives in Hogsmeade as of September 11 '82.

Mer people only speak and understand English under water, above it they only understand Mermish and their words sound like screeching. As such, unless your character speaks Mermish, all communication will be written on parchment that she carries with her at all times as she is literate.
Nero Bloxam
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 08:54 AM

The sudden sound of the water before him being disturbed caused Nero's eyes to snap upwards and a pleased smile to stretch across his face. He slid the bracelet he had been toying with between his fingers into a pocket and focused his attention on the mermaid in front of him. "Waiting long? Not at all!" he insisted with all the enthusiasm of an overly excited dog, his grin lingering on.

"I have been well, I suppose... Though, a little bored I might add. Winter is not as easy to enjoy as the warm breezes of summer. There is so little to do in snow drifts. Tell me, what is it like being in the lake when it freezes over?" He watched her with an intensely interested gaze, subconsciously appreciating her inky green hair and the shape of her jaw line amongst other things.

Nero couldn't find her anything more or less than utterly fascinating. If he was truthful, there was more to it than that, more to it than the friendship that had formed. At least on his end. He wanted to know more about her world; did she sleep, did merfolk have social etiquette, did she not feel terribly exposed without the amount of clothes human women seemed to wear? "How might you be, Xene? You look r- exceptionally well." He blushed very lightly and looked down at his hands in the knowledge of what he had almost said.

Tag: Xene Words: 239

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Xene
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 11:38 AM

She listened to him as he said that the winter was not so enjoyable in comparison to summer time. She had to agree with this. It was awful cold above water, though she was willing to endure it if it meant seeing Nero once more. She did so enjoy speaking with him and she was glad to hear that he hadn’t been waiting long for her to arrive. She’d be most distressed to hear if she had kept him waiting long, especially in the chilly weather that they had. She didn’t know how he could stand it, or even why he would dare to venture out in the cold weather but she was glad that he did. She wondered if perhaps he enjoyed her company as much as she enjoyed his. That was something that set her gut aflutter.

“It really doesn’t change much at all. In fact, it’s hard to tell when it freezes over.” She answered. The bottom of the lake seemed to never really change much in temperature. That made it difficult to tell when the seasons changed without going up and finding out by exposing yourself to the elements of the above world. Indeed, it was difficult to tell the changing in weather in the above ground as the bottom of the lake kept the relatively same temperature year long.

When he asked how she was doing, she wondered what it was he was originally going to say before he corrected himself. She couldn’t think of anything so she let the thought pass relatively quick to answer him. “I’ve been well,” she started, smiling at him with her pointed teeth showing. The last time she met with him she’d gotten over her aversion to flashing her sharp teeth to him. He’d assured her that they were not at all disconcerting so now she was perfectly comfortable smiling broadly in his company. And smile she did. She found it was hard not to smile in his company. She enjoyed it so much. “My sister tried to keep me from coming today though. She doesn’t trust land walkers.” She frowned only so. Shaking the thought from her head she looked to him with a smile.

She didn’t want to weigh down their time together with thinking about Petra’s aversion to land walkers. How she didn’t seem to trust them and in fact seemed scared of them. Xene would never understand. She found them positively fascinating and if given the chance would definitely take up the offer to walk a day on land. But she knew even with the magic of Hogsmeade’s inhabitants it would be impossible, surely. There was just no way that she could ever walk on land, something that she dearly wished to do. Again shaking thoughts from her head she looked to Nero. “But she likes the gift you gave me. She likes shiny objects.” She smiled.

tag Nero | words 482 | notestharrr she blows!
Template by Emily

--------------------
twenty-one. happy. six feet tall. naive. human lover. writer. follower. music lover.
user posted image

About Xene
user posted image

Thanks to an anonymous wizard, Xene was given legs and lives in Hogsmeade as of September 11 '82.

Mer people only speak and understand English under water, above it they only understand Mermish and their words sound like screeching. As such, unless your character speaks Mermish, all communication will be written on parchment that she carries with her at all times as she is literate.
Nero Bloxam
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 06:36 AM

He found it so strange that she and her kind should not notice so much the thick layer of winter ice on the lake's surface. He thought were he in her position, he would be only too aware of it. "I do not know how you can be so content to ignore the ice; I believe I would feel terribly trapped by it if I were you." She clearly had a wonderfully patient and good disposition to be so accepting. That and Nero was convinced the sun shined out of her scaly butt... Did she even have a butt? Nero assumed so. No, he thought her most lovely, perfection even.

He returned her smile as she declared she was well, though perhaps on a less fang-like scale. "I am glad to hear it, Xene," he replied, the genuineness of his remark seeping into his words. His smile faded slightly, however, at hearing that her sister seemed not to want her to see him. "Does she not like me?" he asked, concern lacing his words. He wanted to be liked by her sisters, by her mother and father and friends. He wanted to be liked by Xene even more so.

He was reassured by the fact that her sister admired his gift. "I am pleased. And do you like it? For that is... more important... to me." Nero looked away bashfully. Confessing feelings to females had never been something he had ever had to do and apparently it wasn't apparently something he was terribly good at.

Tag: Xene Words: 256

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Xene
Posted: May 7 2012, 10:58 AM

“I suppose one would feel trapped.” She said it thoughtfully. In truth, she had to admit that sometimes she did feel a little trapped. She enjoyed watching the land walkers and when the lake was iced over she was unable to do so. It did feel a bit like a prison at times, but she was used to it so it usually didn’t bother her too much. But this winter had been especially harsh. She had met Nero before the lake iced over, and she had missed talking to him during the time it was iced over. It wasn’t very fun being separated to him, someone she’d grown very fond of indeed.

When he asked if Petra disliked him, she thought for a moment. It wasn’t that she didn’t like him, per se. “She’s just wary of land walkers.” She answered. It was true, after all. Though Petra would never admit it, Xene was sure that a part of her feared the land walkers, something Xene would never understand. They were positively fascinating. With their legs, and varied hair and eye colors. Their state of dress, jewelry and customs…it was all so interesting to Xene and she found herself wishing she could join the land walkers. These thoughts surfaced more and more since she met Nero.

She looked down when he hesitantly asked if she liked his gift. She felt flushed for a moment. “I love your gift.” She replied quietly. She kept it on her at all times, guarded it with her very life. It was her most treasured possession ever since he gave it to her. It was a fascinating thing, something they didn’t have under the lakes surface and she loved it indeed. Why she hardly ever let anyone but herself hold it, no matter how fascinated they were by it. Any other item of hers, she’d gladly lend to others. But not Nero’s gift to her. It was far too precious to risk being broken or lost.

She of course wouldn’t tell him this much. The thought of letting him know just how much it meant to her made her gut go aflutter. It made her feel embarrassed. Was this what Aikaterine was talking about when she said what it felt like to fancy another? It sure sounded the same but it couldn’t be…she was a merperson and he a human. She couldn’t possibly fancy him…could she? The thought of it made her feel embarrassed. She hoped he didn’t have some sort of magic to read her mind…she wasn’t certain what kind of magic he had. And then it struck her to ask. “What can your magic do?” She tilted her head to the side. She didn’t know much about the magic of the citizens. She knew they attended a nearby school to master it, but she didn’t know what the magic was capable of.

tag Nero | words 479 | notestharrr she blows!
Template by Emily

--------------------
user posted image

About Xene
user posted image

Nero Bloxam
Posted: May 19 2012, 12:00 PM

Nero was certainly glad to hear that he was not a subject of one of Xene's sisters' dislike. He didn't like it when he knew someone had taken a disliking to him enough as it was but for some reason he was even more reluctant for Xene's sister to dislike him despite never having met her before. "I've been practicing my Mermish," he suddenly announced, a large grin of pride on his face. He hoped he was more well-spoken than the last time they had met, he wanted to be able to converse with Xene without struggling both to understand her and to make sure he was pronouncing this properly.

He was delighted to hear that she liked the gift he had given her, it was a fact that he had worn the gift she had given him almost everyday since - when he wasn't wearing it he was keeping it safe and on his person in his breast pocket. "I'm very glad to hear you do," he replied happily, beaming at her. He was very pleased to notice that he had subconsciously grown a little more comfortable around her over the time they had known each other, he wasn't quite so nervous and felt more relaxed though he had a feeling this balance could very easily be ruined by the slightest of nudges.

Nero wondered whether Xene felt the same way as he did when they saw each other. It was most peculiar. He had felt things similar when around girls but it had always been brief and fleeting before, this was a little different, a little more stubborn and it seemed to intensify the more he saw of her. "My magic?" he repeated, a little surprised at the difference in what she was asking to what his mind had wandered off to. No, no she certainly didn't share this odd feeling if her mind was so far from it, which he assumed it had to be. "Well all sorts really. Summoning objects, transfiguring one object to another, more cosmetic spells to change aesthetic qualities..." He paused to think a little harder on the subject before he continued. "And then there's potion brewing and combative magic, defensive magic... There's so much. There's also dark magic though I don't think many practice that, at least not openly anyhow. That magic is a bad sort." His mermish was still rough but it had certainly improved from the last time and he had just managed to find the words to put across his answer, much to his delight. "Do your people have magic too? Like the Goblins and House Elves do? Or werewolves or vampires? I admit I have not found anything on the topic in my reading but who better to ask than you?" He smiled at her warmly and waited for her reply.

Tag: Xene Words: 471

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Xene
Posted: Jun 23 2012, 01:48 PM

She smiled when he said he’d been practicing his mermish. “I can tell.” She said, hoping that gave him a boost of confidence. His mermish had in fact gotten better and it was easier to understand him now than during their previous conversation. But at any rate, it wasn’t very difficult to understand him. She listened to him fondly as he talked about his magic. She was starting to think that she could listen to him talk forever. She just enjoyed the sound of his voice. It made her happy to hear him talk and to talk to him in turn. She was thoroughly smitten with the boy, and now more than ever she wished she too was a land walker. Then she could walk arm in arm with him like she’s seen many other couples do.

But that could not be, and she knew this to be true. She hoped that perhaps the magic of the land walkers could help her realize her dream and be with Nero, but then she mentally scolded herself. It was just idle fancy, and she knew she was being silly. For certainly Nero could not feel for her what she was beginning to realize she felt for him. When he asked if the merfolk had magic, she shook her head. “No, we do not.” She said it simply. If the merfolk had magic, she sure would have found a way to use it to let her become a land walker at least for a day. But they did not have magic, so it was a moot point.

“Our skills lay in making jewelry and hunting.” She smiled. It wasn’t as grand as magic, but it was her heritage. “I’m a poor hunter. I can’t stand knowing that something died at my hand, even if it is for nourishment.” She frowned. She was a failure in many ways. “I’m not nearly as good at jewelry making as my sister, but I do fair enough.” She motioned to the bracelet she’d given to Nero, which was wrapped around his wrist. She was glad to know that he’d been wearing it. Or at least, she assumed he’d been wearing it. It hadn’t occurred to her that he wore it simple to oblige her. She was sure he wore it at all time, just as she always had his gift on her being.

Deciding that she’d had enough of thinking of her shortcomings, she changed the subject. “Tell me more about life above water. Anything you can think of.” She smiled. She knew a fair bit about life above water. A very embarrassing conversation with one of her land walker friends had told her how they procreate. It was an odd thought to her, babies not hatching but actually being born out of the mother. She thought it sounded like nasty business. But she wanted to hear from Nero what his world was like. She wanted to see the world as he saw it.

tag Nero | words 497 | notes here ya go.
Template by Emily

--------------------
user posted image

About Xene
user posted image

Nero Bloxam
Posted: Jul 27 2012, 07:41 PM

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that she was a mystery, something unique and unusual to him that he was so fascinated with her, after all it was in his nature as a Ravenclaw but Nero was starting to doubt that theory. There was something about Xene, something that convinced him that were he to meet another mermaid, it wouldn't make a difference. Perhaps it was because he could talk to her now without feeling so very nervous as he did with almost all female beings but he doubted that theory too.

Nero couldn't deny that he was indeed surprised that Merfolk had no magic; goblins had their magic, hags had their magic, house elves had theirs... Then again, now that he thought about it, he didn't think centaurs had magic and nor did vampires, ghouls or poltergeists or ghosts. Xene's mere existence was the magic, that is if one were to look at it from a muggle point of view.

He smiled fondly at her; he found it rather endearing that she was a more gentle creature than it would seem many of her kinfolk and he liked that. He chuckled slightly when she mentioned her skill at jewelry making with what he felt was great modesty. "I think you make fine jewelry! In fact," he pulled up his sleeve slightly to reveal the bracelet she had given him, "I think it is as fine as anything I could buy on land and even better because it was made by..." He had gotten swept up in his enthusiastic praise that he had barely caught himself before he said the word 'you' and quite suddenly he was tongue-tied. "M-made by... you," he finally said in a somewhat quieter voice.

Blushing slightly as he tried desperately to avoid rethinking how it must have sounded to her, he tried to divert his mind with her request. What could he tell her? What would be most entertaining? "Well... We... Uhhh..." he wrung his hands briefly with nervousness as he observed the silence. "We have... We have dances." He figured that would be something new and exciting for her. "Do you dance? I mean... Not with feet of course but with your- your tail and..." He had a feeling he was looking nervous again and hoped it was simply his imagination. "Well we have dances and people often attend parties and social gatherings where they dance. I believe most see it as a leisurely exercise but I'm afraid I am not very good at it. I... I chose books over dancing lessons." He looked away shyly and caught himself wondering at what she must be thinking.

Tag: Xene Words: 445

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Xene
Posted: Sep 9 2012, 02:54 AM

It didn't escape Xene's notice that Nero had claimed her bracelet was better than any land jewelry simply for the fact that she made it. She smiled broadly at this. It would be shameless to the female landwalkers, how she was so obviously smitten with him. But it wasn't something Xene fully realized. She didn't realize that to any outsider it would be quite obvious that she was taken with the man. She was far too innocent to realize that she was so obviously in like with him. She probably didn't even fully realize the extent of her feelings for her new friend. They were all so foreign, the emotions he seemed to invoke in her so she truly didn't know how to deal with them.

But she found that for once she wasn't being a worry wart over things like that. She was able to relax more in his company, much more than she was able to with any of those of her own home under the lakes surface. He was everything she liked in a friend. Intelligent and engaging and the fact that he was a land walker made it all the better. Because she had always yearned to learn more about the world beyond the lake. Sure, she could pop up and breathe above water, but she had no way to get out of the lake and experience the world that existed beyond the wetness of her home. She had no way to interact with the land walkers. She wasn't even sure most of them would want to interact with her.

Another thing that hadn't escaped her knowledge was that many land walkers saw her people as more akin to creatures than anything else. They didn't seem to think of them as civilized folk. And while she had a fair few people she considered friends above water, they all seemed to regard her with a clinical fascination. Not a personal one, not one regarding her as an individual. But that wasn't the case with Nero. When he spoke to her, she didn't feel like he was seeing her as just some obscure creature that could provide amusement. He seemed to genuinely care about her feelings, her thoughts and input on things. It was as though he legitimately enjoyed her company, not for the sake of research on her habits, but just for the sake of being a friend.

And because of this she always listened with rapt attention when he spoke. She leaned her chin on her hands and stared at him intently as he spoke. He seemed to take her more odd habits like that in stride and for that she was eternally thankful. "Yes, we dance below water. Though I imagine it must be quite different with land walkers. What with being all limbs and walks rather than flitting and swaying like we do down here." She smiled. Oh what it must be like to have legs and feet. A bottom half that had two independent pieces to it. It seemed so very interesting to her, and while much of her kin did not share her sentiments, she found the idea of it positively enthralling.

Her ears perked when he said he had chosen books to dancing. "Perhaps when the weather is more warm we can dance together." She smiled at the thought of having him in the shallow part of her lake and dancing with him as best as she could. The idea was absolutely delightful. "I like books too, but we don't have anything like that under the water. Parchment - that's what it's called right?" She looke dat him inquiringly. Shaking it off, she said, "Well it becomes weak under water. But some of my other friends have brought books to the shoreline and taught me how to read and write." She was proud of that, but then she realized how very silly it must seem. She was twenty years old and she had only learned how to write and read when she was sixteen! From her understanding, land walkers learned these skills at much earlier ages. "Oh well, I suppose it's not that impressive. I'm not very good." She said, bashfully, as she twirled a bit of her inky green hair.

tag Nero | words 710 | notes finally
Template by Emily

--------------------
user posted image

About Xene
user posted image

Nero Bloxam
Posted: Sep 23 2012, 07:11 AM

He was vaguely aware of a warmth in his cheeks as she suggested dancing when the weather warmed up. Nero had no idea how that would work but it had made him blush lightly regardless. He hoped she hadn't noticed the fact he was blushing slightly, it was embarrassing.

"I could teach you... If- That is if you would want to get better at reading? I mean, you've helped me learn your language, I could help you learn to read and write mine..." Nero regretted suggesting it at once for he was now even more mysteriously embarrassed and really quite wanted to just turn into a piece of seaweed so he could hide his embarrassment. "You don't have to though... It was just a suggestion. A passing thought really. I mean, you probably wouldn't have anywhere to use it but..." He cleared his throat awkwardly and scratched his head, not that he even had an itch it was just something to do to distract himself with.

He reached into his pocket and glanced at the watch he took out briefly. "I should uhh probably be going. I promised my sister I would uhhh help her with um something," he exceptionally pink now as he awkwardly got to his feet. "Goodbye Xene, I'll come back soon," he promised genuinely, despite currently wanting to run as far away as possible.

Tag: Xene Words: 228

--------------------

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

» Options » Reply » New Topic

• Affiliates
  • Topsites
Affiliates

Aeterna Roma  The Vow

Keep the Magic Secret Distant Fantasies 

Priori Incantatem Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG HOS The Beginning HG Rayven's Reign: A  Fantasy Roleplaying Forum

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1998 seconds | Archive