Index  ·   Newbie Guide  ·   Helpful Links  ·   Character Master List  ·   Search  ·   Members  ·   Staff  ·   Cbox
Welcome to Charming!
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

· CALENDAR ·
July 1883

4: 12: 19: 26:
S M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
· CURRENT EVENTS ·
M.D
EVENT
07.01 07.21 QWC: France vs. Japan
07.01 07.15 Student Staff Applications
07.10 Thread Roulette
07.13 Maroc's Greek Mythology Costume Ball
07.31 Student Staff Announced
07.01 07.31 July Writing Challenge
07.01 07.31 Posting Wizard of the Month
· NEWS ·
07.25 @ 10:07am
Reminder: Posting and new registration abilities will be turned OFF tomorrow 07/26 at 6pm CST as we begin the moving process. The cbox will still work - you can check there for updates or our tumblr.

07.23 @ 6:13pm
In preparation for the move, all active Coming Out Ball threads have been moved to The Past forum.

07.21 @ 12:07pm
Just a reminder that we are moving in 5 days! If this is news to you, read up on it here! Posting Wizard signups for August are now open!

07.15 @ 11:19pm
The deactivations for the July activity check have been completed with list cleanup underway; for reactivations, please post in Maintenence.

07.10 @ 10:25am
This month's thread roulette pairings have been posted!

07.07 @ 11:54am
Check out our latest newsletter for some big news!

07.01 @ 9:28am
We are now in the month of July. Congrats to Beanie and Lauren, who won posting wizard of June with 82 and 132 posts respectively!

» Reply » New Topic

»  A Bit of Lace, private
Sarah Trelawney
Posted: Dec 18 2011, 10:38 AM

Upper Class — Proprietress
Group Icon

Group: Irvingly
Member No.: 421

The process of purchasing a new dress was nerve wracking. Sarah had long ago gotten into the habit of wearing and repairing her dresses until there was no choice but to throw them in the rag bin, and nearly a week prior one of her two dresses had met that fate. It had been a pretty dress, too -- a pretty little pink calico, all covered in tiny flowers. There had even been a touch of lace at the neckline, which Sarah had painstakingly removed for use on her new dress ... or, perhaps, to sell to help finance it.

Gladrags Wizardwear, while still a reputable shop, was markedly less expensive than Twilfit and Tattings; as such, that was where Sarah had headed with her lace tucked into the pocket of her serviceable white apron. She did not exactly cut a fashionable picture in her plain gray dress, but the fabric of her dresses was always determined by what was most affordable at the time. It had been Calico two dresses ago, and plain gray last time.

The store was empty when Sarah arrived, making the bell that rung when she entered almost painfully loud. It was probably a good thing, since the maid hated to draw attention to herself, but she flinched at the sound anyway. Standing just inside the door, Sarah fiddled with her apron and waited to be approached.

--------------------
Nolan Walsh
Posted: Dec 18 2011, 01:15 PM

Middle Class — Seamster at Gladrag's Wizardwear

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 627

Nolan nearly jumped at the jingle-jangle of the bell that signified a patron. He was in the back room at the moment, working quietly on a dress and humming a small tune to himself. So lost in his work was he that when the bell range, it made him give a slight jerk, causing him to stick himself with the needle. Thankfully, there was little blood, and none stained the fabric of the dress he was working on. Exhaling a breath he didn’t know he was holding, he stood up and said “Just a moment” so pitifully quiet that he was sure no one heard him.

You’d think that after a few years of working as a seamster he’d be better at talking with others, but this was not the case. He still oftentimes came off as a stuttering fool, fiddling with his hands and letting his cheeks become red like a schoolgirl talking to her crush. He was a pitiful sight in social situations, but he managed somehow and that he was thankful for. He was a talented seamster, and he would hate to have to leave his job just because he was horribly awkward.

Walking to the front of the shop, he saw a woman standing near the entrance, fiddling with her apron. He could tell she was nervous – perhaps even more so than he usually was – and approached her slowly as though she were a weary animal poised to attack. “Oh hel-hello.” He stuttered and felt his cheeks warm. Clearing his throat, he started once more. “Hello Miss,” He said quickly, fiddling with his hands, “what can I help you with today?” he finished, slightly more slowly than before but still rather fast paced. At least it was able to be understood, and he let out a sigh, grateful that his words weren’t unintelligible.

--------------------
twenty-three. timid. werewolf. hufflepuff. skittish. loyal.
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
about nolan
|Played by Anastasia|
Sarah Trelawney
Posted: Dec 18 2011, 08:51 PM

Group Icon

"I-I need a new dress," Sarah stammered. She was not exactly the most assertive person ... or anything remotely like assertive ... but she needed to get this done. She had to buy a dress, or she would have nothing to wear but the one she was currently clad in. "I n-need to see what fabric is inexpensive."

It was hard to part with this sort of money, even for cheap fabric and a basic design. If there was one thing that Sarah could not understand, it was how some women spent galleons and galleons on dresses they wore once and then never again. It seemed so impractical.

--------------------
Nolan Walsh
Posted: Dec 19 2011, 11:26 AM

Her stammering words proved only to further make Nolan nervous himself. Oh dear, it was no good when two people who were obviously bad at speaking to people meshed. He could just see the stuttering storm he was sure the two would talk up. He approached her slowly still, as though afraid of her reactions. To be honest, the girl seemed even more nervous than he, a feat he wasn’t sure was possible and yet there she was.

When she asked for a cheap fabric, he thought back to the flawed fabrics they’d gotten. He kept them just in case, for occasions such as these where someone obviously didn’t have the funds for their finer fabrics. There weren’t huge issues with the fabrics – they’d still make lovely dresses – but they were a bit flawed and as such weren’t readily available to customers. They couldn’t be giving customers flawed products! But something told him that she wouldn’t mind the minor flaws in this fabric and so he looked to her and gave a weary smile. “Just one moment, please.” He said through stutters, turning and walking back to the back room.

He grabbed the cart full of flawed fabrics and carted them back to the front. “Th-these,” he started, taking in a deep breath in attempt to compose himself. Surely the woman must have thought him a fool. “These are flawed,” his features donned a shocked expression for a moment, unable to believe he’d just said so. “Minor flaws! We just can’t sell them to just anyone, but I can give them to you for a discount price! The fabric will make a lovely dress though, I assure you.” His words came out hastily, in a jumbled mess that was barely intelligible. He wanted nothing more than to hide at the moment as he waited for her response.

--------------------
about nolan
|Played by Anastasia|
Sarah Trelawney
Posted: Dec 19 2011, 01:16 PM

Group Icon

Sarah's eyes widened as the redheaded employee brought out a cart full of fabrics for her to choose from. Many of them were quite beautifully patterned, and for the life of her Sarah could not imagine how they were flawed. "I've saved up o-over five sickles," she said, uncertain of where to start with the overwhelming selection. "And I-I need to get the dress sewn up as well. I-I have a bit of lace as well."

She pulled the short length of carefully maintained lace out of her pocket then, holding it like the precious thing it was. It was not much, just enough to circle her admittedly scrawny neck at the top of a high-necked dress. "It's off of my last dress, I had some extra ... " she trailed off, looking at the young man hopefully. Five sickles -- more than that, five sickles and 12 knuts -- was a lot of money*.

Swallowing, she stroked her precious piece of lace gently. "W-what can you do f-for me, sir?" Maybe by some miracle she'd even be able to get two dresses; she had not had so many dresses since she was ten.

*$111.52 or £71.81 today

--------------------
Nolan Walsh
Posted: Dec 24 2011, 12:43 PM

He listened to the young woman as she spoke, telling him how much she had earned. For the five sickles he could make her two dresses. This would be good, something to busy him during the less than desirable amount of business they’d been getting. He hadn’t really had to make a new dress in a few weeks, something that saddened him greatly. He enjoyed his needlework and missed being able to make new dresses for women. It wasn’t so much the dress making, but the happiness the new dress brought that made him love his job.

When she pulled out a bit of lace she’d saved, he thought of how to work it into a dress. It would go well around the neck, and he wondered if he had any lace that was similar in design. He shuffled through the fabric before him and found one that would look enough alike to pass in the trimming. “Well, Miss, for five sickles I can make you two dresses.” He said it quickly and quietly, clearing his throat and saying more slowly, “Would you like me to incorporate that lace?” he looked to her and when she didn’t spoke he continued. “I can use it around the neck and use this,” he pulled up the semi-matching lace, “in the trimming. It will be far enough apart that it will match just fine.” He said with a smile and a nod to his head.

He was surprised he’d managed the words with little stuttering, but exhaled a quiet breath he hadn’t known he’d been holding anyways. There still were stutters in his tone and that was what mattered. Honestly, and he called himself a man! Pushing aside his internal berating, he continued to smile at the lady and said, “How does that sound?” through stutters.

--------------------
about nolan
|Played by Anastasia|
Sarah Trelawney
Posted: Dec 31 2011, 11:41 AM

Group Icon

He'd be able to make her two dresses? Sarah's eyes lit up and she raised her head slightly at the thrilling the development. Three dresses ... the idea of owning more than one dress to wear and one to wash was nearly impossible to wrap her mind around. Certainly she should probably only get one and put the rest of the money towards the family, but ... well, Sarah almost never did anything for herself. Certainly there was nothing wrong with treating herself once in a while.

"Yes, I do," she answered quickly, excited now. She reached to run her fingers over the fabric -- she really could not see any flaws in it -- and then smiled at the redheaded young man before remembering herself and shyly tipping her head towards the floor once more. For a moment Sarah wished that she could vanish, and she busied herself gathering a bolt of brown and pink gingham into her arms.

This was possibly the best news she had received all month. Not only would he be able to use the lace she had, but she would be able to get even more lace! "That sounds w-wonderful," she said, made even more nervous by the fact that she had smiled at the young redheaded man. "I think that this would do very nicely for one of the ... the dresses."

--------------------
Nolan Walsh
Posted: Dec 31 2011, 12:03 PM

He watched as the woman lit up, smiling and looking pleasant. She was a lovely woman, he noted and certainly should smile more often he thought. He too gave a smile at her excitement. This was his favorite part of his job, watching the looks on people’s faces when they ordered their new garb. But it didn’t last long. She seemed to have remembered her meekness and adorned it once more, looking down to the ground as if her previous excitement were shameful. This caused a flurry of nervousness to take him once more, where previously he was starting to feel calm. He was deeply affected by the emotions of others, and this time was no different. Where she felt nervousness, he too felt nervousness. Perhaps even tenfold.

He smiled as she agreed to his suggestion of the lace trimming, glad to have been able to help her come that bit closer to her decision. He picked up some rolls of fabric and placed them on the counter that was just behind him, revealing more fabrics underneath. If she was going to get two dresses, she ought to get going on picking the fabrics. After all, it was her choice as to what her dress would look like. He could give gentle nudges towards certain types, but he wouldn’t dare dictate the pattern, color and style of her dress. It was for her after all, not he.

“Might I suggest this here fabric?” It was a medium brown with the subtlest gold pattern on it. He figured it would look lovely against her skin, bringing out the subtlest tanning hue that it held. He could already picture the perfect type of dress for her. High necked, to accentuate the long neck she had, medium sized bustle and exaggerated waistline. She would look a picture for sure in that type of dress, and he wondered idly if he should suggest it. Something told him not to, however, as they were both far too meek to speak of such things.

Shaking his head of such thoughts, he looked to her and gave a reassuring sort of smile. Whether it was to reassure her or himself, he wasn’t certain. “Do you have any ideas for style?” he asked it quietly, tentatively, almost as though the woman before him was prone to violent outbursts. He doubted she was, but one could never know the temperament of a client. Fiddling idly with his hands, he looked at her meekly and awaited a response.

--------------------
about nolan
|Played by Anastasia|
Sarah Trelawney
Posted: Jan 7 2012, 11:18 AM

Group Icon

Sarah replaced the cloth she had picked up, turning her attention eagerly to what the redheaded man had pulled out. She had not even imagined she could afford something so luxurious as this fabric with it's delicate gold pattern. This was not a dress that she would ever wear to work -- or, at least, it would not be. "This is beautiful," she breathed, reaching out tentatively to touch the cloth. It felt as beautiful as it looked, and she was suddenly quite certain she was dreaming.

As she was asked about the style, Sarah jumped slightly. "Oh, I have no idea -- anything I thought of would t-take away from it. Make the fabric ... less. B-but I want the lace with this one, I-I think."

--------------------
Nolan Walsh
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 08:28 AM

He smiled as she looked at the fabric and said it was beautiful. He was glad that his suggestion was to the liking of his client, he always was when he chose correctly for each person. He had a knack for appealing to the likes of his patrons, but even he was sometimes wrong so it was always nice when he got it right. Picking up the fabric he listened to her stutter and say that she had no ideas for style. It would make his job certainly more fun, he was sure, being able to have free reign of style. He was sure he’d know just what to make to suit her timid nature.

“N-no worries then.” He said with what he hoped was a reassuring smile. “I can st-still fashion you something l-lovely.” He stuttered slightly with his words, feeling the nervousness that she too was undoubtedly feeling. “Perhaps something with a high neckline?” His words were quick. “At any rate, I’ll make it lovely.” He said with a timid smile. He wasn’t too good at human interaction, something that was necessary for his job.

Setting aside the fabrics for the first dress, he looked at her and said, “N-now for the next dr-dress.” Speaking of the fabric they should choose for it. “Just take a look and let me know which fabrics you like.” His words were in a quick lilt as he looked at her, waiting for her to pick the fabrics she most liked so they could decide which would be used to fashion her second dress.

--------------------
about nolan
|Played by Anastasia|
Sarah Trelawney
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 02:35 PM

Group Icon

"A h-high neckline sounds nice," Sarah stammered. She rarely wore anything else, although she also wouldn't have complained if the seamster had created something else for her. She was just glad to be able to afford two new dresses when she had only expected to get one.

She turned her attention to the rest of the fabric, looking for something else that she liked. The selection was a little mind-boggling; it had been a long time since she'd really been familiar with the concept of picking anything she wanted ... and for herself at that!

Looking through the fabrics, Sarah tried to find one she really liked, but everything was beautiful. The idea of choosing was unthinkable. Maybe ... maybe she should just get one, and see if any of her sisters needed a second dress?

A rare moment of selfishness made her want to spend the money on herself and actually buy two dresses. To have three ... it would be an amazing luxury for her. Perhaps ... "I ... I like t-this one," she said, fingering a purplish-gray with a subtle tone-on-tone floral pattern.

--------------------
Nolan Walsh
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 01:46 PM

He listened to her as she said a high neckline sounded nice, and exhaled a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. It would’ve been no good had she objected to his idea, it would have been most embarrassing indeed. But something told him that he had chosen correctly for the timid young woman that was before him. She didn’t seem the type to wear the lower necklines that were becoming in fashion. The ones that showed off some of a woman’s bosom, the kind that made Nolan blush just to think about. No, he figured her to be a much more reserved and modest type of woman indeed, and was glad to know that his assumption seemed to be correct.

Watching her as she fingered the fabrics he had on display, he wondered which she would choose. So many of them would look lovely against her skin, she was a lovely woman after all. He was certain that she’d make even the most un-alluring of fabrics look positively lovely, and was honored to be able to make a dress for one as beautiful as she. It wasn’t often that someone of great beauty came to him asking for a dress. Those types of women usually went to Twilfit and Tatting’s, the more upscale of the two Hogsmeade clothes shops. But he could tell that this woman was a natural sort of beauty, one that was without means but lovely nonetheless. It was a rare thing to see it seemed.

When she finally spoke, she pointed to a dingy purple fabric with a subtle floral pattern on it. It was a nice fabric – one of the nicer in the piles – and he smiled to her. “O-okay.” He said with a stutter, grabbing it and placing it with the other fabrics she had chosen. “Well,” he started, taking a breath. It was now time to get her measurements, his least favorite part of his job. While he could enchant the measuring tape to do most of the work, he still had to guide it and that caused for close contact, something he wasn’t overly fond of. “I s-suppose I s-should get your m-m-measurements.” He stuttered, giving a blush and waiting to hear what she had to say.

--------------------
about nolan
|Played by Anastasia|
Sarah Trelawney
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 01:44 PM

Group Icon

Blushing wordlessly, Sarah nodded in concent. She knew this part was necessary, for all that her figure rarely changed much. It would hardly do to pay for new dresses and then have them be ill-fitting because she was embarrassed to have her measurements taken. Things were not really that bad, so she might have even put on a few pounds! Everyone had regular work except for Mother and, of course, Leo, because Leo was going to manage to complete his education. Every time she thought of that, Sarah felt a thrill of pride for her little brother.

Hopefully it would not take long; she stood stock-still, waiting for him to bring out a measuring tape. The quicker this was over with, the better.

--------------------
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

» Options » Reply » New Topic

• Affiliates
  • Topsites
Affiliates

Aeterna Roma  The Vow

Keep the Magic Secret Distant Fantasies 

Priori Incantatem Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG HOS The Beginning HG Rayven's Reign: A  Fantasy Roleplaying Forum

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2687 seconds | Archive