Welcome to Charming!
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

CALENDAR
July 1883

4: 12: 19: 26:
S M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
CURRENT EVENTS
M.D
EVENT
07.01 07.21 QWC: France vs. Japan
07.01 07.15 Student Staff Applications
07.10 Thread Roulette
07.13 Maroc's Greek Mythology Costume Ball
07.31 Student Staff Announced
07.01 07.31 July Writing Challenge
07.01 07.31 Posting Wizard of the Month
NEWS
07.25 @ 10:07am
Reminder: Posting and new registration abilities will be turned OFF tomorrow 07/26 at 6pm CST as we begin the moving process. The cbox will still work - you can check there for updates or our tumblr.

07.23 @ 6:13pm
In preparation for the move, all active Coming Out Ball threads have been moved to The Past forum.

07.21 @ 12:07pm
Just a reminder that we are moving in 5 days! If this is news to you, read up on it here! Posting Wizard signups for August are now open!

07.15 @ 11:19pm
The deactivations for the July activity check have been completed with list cleanup underway; for reactivations, please post in Maintenence.

07.10 @ 10:25am
This month's thread roulette pairings have been posted!

07.07 @ 11:54am
Check out our latest newsletter for some big news!

07.01 @ 9:28am
We are now in the month of July. Congrats to Beanie and Lauren, who won posting wizard of June with 82 and 132 posts respectively!

Reply New Topic

Couple of questions?
Edie Sparrow
Posted: Jun 11 2011, 06:51 PM

Lower Class Servant

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 346

Get right to the point, here:

1. Have women always been accepted at Hogwarts, or has this been recently established? If so, when was it established?

2. Assuming servants are of the lower-class variety, would that also make the higher-ups of the servant world still lower-class, or more middle-class?

3. What are some good examples of middle-class occupations that women can hold (if any)?

4. I randomly thought this up, and not saying it has anything to do with my character (or future ones), but just wanted to know: how do you feel about gypsy types?

I may have missed something somewhere, so forgive me if I did. My Victorian history isn't so great, and I haven't had a lot of time to read everything on the site just yet. I'm working on that.

--------------------
user posted image
Eleora Asperhand
Posted: Jun 11 2011, 07:04 PM

Upper Class Freelance Daily Prophet Writer
Group Icon

Group: Elsewhere
Member No.: 79

1. I believe we've been playing it that they've always been accepted at Hogwarts. It would make sense that they would have been since two of the Founders were female.

2. Most if not all servants would be lower class. If any were middle class, it would be servants who were in charge of other servants such has the head of a large household.

3. Hogwarts professors; shop owners, managers, or some employees; secretaries; assistants ... etc. If your character is sort of stern and practical, I actually have a want ad up for a manager for Rosa Lee Teabag. </shameless plug>

4. We actually had a half gypsy woman at one point.

--------------------
user posted image
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
user posted image
graphic set by Soph
{Violet Ollivander}
Posted: Jun 11 2011, 07:04 PM

Middle Class Charms Professor
Group Icon

Group: Hogwarts Staff {Admin}
Member No.: 5

EDIT: Haha Emily posted faster than me. xD

If you need more explanation for these, please let me know. ^^

1. Have women always been accepted at Hogwarts, or has this been recently established? If so, when was it established?
Since the books don't say otherwise, we can assume that women have always been accepted at Hogwarts. We play it out as if it has always been so, although them playing quidditch is definitely frowned upon but not impossible for them to do.

2. Assuming servants are of the lower-class variety, would that also make the higher-ups of the servant world still lower-class, or more middle-class?
We have all servants be in the lower class group. At Charming, we just have upper, middle and lower class for sake of the user groups. There aren't any middle-lower classes or upper-middle classes, for example.

3. What are some good examples of middle-class occupations that women can hold (if any)?
My character here is Violet Ollivander, she is the librarian at Hogwarts. She wasn't able to find a husband and has decided she's going to be a spinster. Other occupations could be working at a shop on High Street (some of the nicer places, like the clothing stores), at the Ministry it could be being someone's secretary or a welcome witch (same as at the Hospital), a healer at the hospital, a governess or private tutor, and then there are open positions for Hogwarts professors as well.

4. I randomly thought this up, and not saying it has anything to do with my character (or future ones), but just wanted to know: how do you feel about gypsy types?

Could you be a little more specific about what you mean by a "gypsy type"? We've had a gypsy here before, though I'm not sure what exactly you're thinking of.

--------------------

Charming is moving! Click for more info!

Postlog | Profile

user posted image

user posted image user posted image

played by Lola
see CML for other characters

user posted imageuser posted image
Edie Sparrow
Posted: Jun 11 2011, 07:24 PM

Lower Class Servant

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 346

Gypsies I mean as in the style of clothing, the lifestyle, etc. Naturally, they would be of lower-class, and I wonder if they are looked upon in the wizarding world as they would be in the muggle world (frowned upon, looked at in disgust, etc.)?

--------------------
user posted image
{Elsbeth Gisella}
Posted: Jun 11 2011, 07:25 PM

Lower Class Overseer of Chance l'Amour
Group Icon

Group: Irvingly {Admin}
Member No.: 127

I would think so. The values between the muggle world and the wizarding world are generally the same on most subjects.

--------------------
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Options Reply New Topic

• Affiliates
  • Topsites
Affiliates

Aeterna Roma  The Vow

Keep the Magic Secret Distant Fantasies 

Priori Incantatem Forsilvra: An Original Fantasy RPG HOS The Beginning HG Rayven's Reign: A  Fantasy Roleplaying Forum

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1586 seconds | Archive