Middle Class Seventh Year, Beater
Member No.: 734
Joined: 4-December 11
Cailean Eideard Beckett
November 9, 1864
- Cypress | A wand wood for the brave, cypress used to frequently indicate one who would "die a heroic death" in medieval times. Although it is unlikely that Cai will ever be put in such a situation, he is the sort of self-sacrificing protector who would lay down his life for another if it was required. This is part of what makes him such an amazing beater, as he is not afraid to risk or even receive injury in order to defend his teammates.
- Dragon Heartstring | Although originally temperamental, this flashy wand core is quick to learn what Cailean expects of it. It is a powerful wand and while it could be turned to the Dark Arts the only way Cai would go down that path is with the best of intentions.
- Fourteen and Three Fourths Inches | While many would simply assume that the length of Cai's wand is because he is a tall wizard, it also indicates his very present and unwavering force of personality.
- Inflexible | Cai's wand is every bit as unwavering and reliable as the wizard who wields it.
- Cole Beckett, 1829-1880, father
- Alethia Beckett née Collingwood, 1833-1876, mother
- Brendan Beckett, 1857, brother and guardian
- Clarissa Lockhart née Beckett, 1861, sister
- Prosperus Lockhart, 1834, brother-in-law
Magnus Lockhart, 1862, step-nephew
Fortuna Lockhart, 1866, step-niece
Merritt Lockhart, 1870, step-nephew
- Branwen Beckett, 1969, sister
A rather imposing figure for a seventeen year old, Cailean has already passed six feet of height by a fraction of an inch; his full adult height will likely be about six feet two inches. He keeps his dark hair cut short and has blue-green eyes. From his years of playing beater, Cai is well muscled and in good shape; he also possesses a pair of broad shoulders. He tends to be overly cautious around others (especially first years and females) because he doesn't want to accidentally hurt someone. He doesn't pay much attention to his clothes past making sure that they fit and are clean. Cai is left handed.
- November 9th, 1864: Cailean is born, the third child and second boy born to Cole and Alethia Beckett.
- September 1st, 1868: Brendan begins attending Hogwarts and is Sorted into Slytherin.
- May 29th, 1869: Branwen is born as the final member of the Beckett family.
- September 1st, 1872: Clarissa goes off to Hogwarts and is Sorted into Ravenclaw.
- May 31st, 1874: Brendan completes his time at Hogwarts; he fails all but three of his N.E.W.T.s.
- September 1st, 1876: Cailean begins his Hogwarts education and is Sorted in to Gryffindor.
- September 9th, 1876: Alethia Beckett passes away. Cailean acts out at school.
- Fall of 1876: The captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team sees what Cailean is going through and arranges for him to try out for the Quidditch team. Cailean secures a position as Beater, which helps him to deal with his emotions about his mother's death. He is very bluntly told that being on the team as a first year is an honor, and he has to behave responsibly to keep the position.
- 1877: Hogsmeade is established. Cailean is too young to visit Brendan and Branwen when they come to visit Clarissa.
- Fall of 1878: Now a third year, Cailean is able to visit Hogsmeade. He takes up Care of Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies as electives.
- September 1st, 1880: Branwen begins her first year at Hogwarts and is Sorted into Hufflepuff.
- October 21st, 1880: Cole Beckett passes away.
- November 5th, 1880: Brendan buys a house with the inheritance and takes over raising his siblings.
- May 31st, 1881: Cailean completes his fifth year, managing to pass all his O.W.L.s; he receives an O in Defense Against the Dark Arts.
- September 1st, 1881: Brendan begins teaching Transfiguration. Cailean, whose strengths lie in DADA and more hands-on classes, promptly drops the class so that he doesn't have to take it with his brother. He also drops History of Magic and Astronomy, leaving himself with only six classes.
- October 6th, 1881: An article is published in the Daily Prophet calling out three girls at Hogwarts for scandalous behavior. Cailean doesn't really believe it, thinking it's just a way to sell the paper; however, more articles along the same vein continue to be published.
- October 24th, 1881: An article is published about an auror saving a young woman's life, leading Cailean to start wondering about what he might like to do after he finishes his schooling.
- October 25th, 1881: In reaction to the articles about the poor behavior of some female students, new restrictions on interaction between the genders are imposed. Girls are also banned from participating in Quidditch. Cailean is secretly releaved because he no longer has to worry about accidentally "breaking" one of the female players; however, it leads to extra practices that leave Cailean exhausted. He tends to try to sleep during the new Etiquette class.
- October 31st, 1881: Mary Holmes, a sixth year Ravenclaw, is killed. Cailean becomes suddenly overprotective of Branwen.
- November 17th, 1881: A teacher is caught with one of the girls mentioned in the first article about scandalous misbehavior; Cailean grudgingly starts to think the articles might be true.
- November 28th, 1881: An Auror-in-Training saves a girl; after reading the article about it, Cailean starts to seriously consider going into the Department of Magical Law Enforcement after Hogwarts since his grades aren't good enough to get him into the Auror Training Program.
Protective and cautious.
Sample Roleplay Post:
Despite the cold and the snow falling around them, Cailean kept his promise. It would take more than a little snow to make Cai break a promise to anyone, but especially to Connie. That was the one bad thing about girls getting removed from the quidditch teams, other than the the extra practices. Now that Connie Hatchitt was no longer his teammate, he was finally able to allow himself to think of the now ex-seeker as a girl.
A very attractive girl.
Clearing his throat at the sound of her voice, Cai smiled down at his dark-haired classmate. "Connie." His voice wasn't giving anything away, was it? "Are you ready for me to protect you while you buy new dresses or whatever it is that girls like to do at Hogsmeade?" You'd think that with two sisters he'd know, but Clarissa didn't really ask Cailean for help with her shopping and Branwen was still a kid. "If I'm lucky I suppose I get to carry some packages, too?"
Out of Character
Contact: PM is preferred
Other Characters: See CML
How did you hear about us?: various ads, RPG-D