InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to The Hair Care Family. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Hair Care
Family Forums

Backup Forums
~ The Hair Care Family Forums ~

~ Welcome to The Hair Care Family Forums ~
Hair Care & Beauty are our main topics, however we have
family friendly forums for just about any topic you wish to
discuss. If you would like to get to know us better please
feel free to join. We'll do our best to keep our home clean
& friendly. We hope we can learn & share with you.
Be sure to read our
Rules & Rights
If you register please remember to check
your email to complete your registration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Imagine all the people living life in peace... You may say
I'm a dreamer, but Im not the only one, I hope some day
you'll join us, And the world will live as one." -- John Lennon

"Strangers are just the family you have yet come to know"
-- movie "The Five People You Meet In Heaven"

Reciprocal Links

Pages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Messyhair's Quest For Length
Messyhair
Posted: Sep 25 2005, 06:43 PM

1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Group Icon

Group: 1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Member No.: 121

Hiya!

All through high school I remember wanting to have loooong hair. A friend of mine had hair about to her waist and it grew like a weed. She would keep getting me to cut it back to mid back but it would be waist length again in a few months. Meanwhile, mine struggled to get past my shoulders!! I had a big case of hair envy.

I tried growing mine out (many, many times), but I was a slave to change. I wanted long hair, but I wouldn't stay away from any funky colored dye I could find. I absolutely love ragingly cool dyes! Well, this didn't help the quality of my hair and it split and frizzed and did terrible things and refused to grow.

I'm really into fantasy novels where the gals always have long flowing tresses - so romantic! I was very much an ugly duckling growing up, so I wanted this one part of me to be beautiful. Alas, it was not to be because I was hooked on dye and didn't know that you have to treat hair gently.

After high school, I cut my hair shorter to get rid of remaining fried parts. Then I found out that I also hated the way my hair looked when it got grown out a bit. Understand, I was starting with something close to a brush cut. They called it a pixie when they cut it, but it was too short to lay flat - less than an inch - so I call it a brush cut. So it was much easier to just keep it short and dye it cool colors because they could be cut out in a couple of months and then a new color could be added!

Finally, I made the decision to quit the dyes and make one last valiant attempt to grow out my hair because I just wasn't feeling feminine at all.
Messyhair
Posted: Sep 25 2005, 06:55 PM

Group Icon

In September 2000, I said toodle-doo to dye and started growing. I had about an inch of hair at this time, and a bit of natural colored root showing.
(Posted Image)

After two months, I cut off the bleached and dyed hair, leaving me with less than an inch. This was hard, since it made me look more like a boy but I knew it was best in the long run. I actually regret not having shaved my head bald to start with, since I've never experienced having a bald head. Oh well.
(Posted Image)

My hair looked terrible at the in between stages. I don't know how my then boyfriend (now hubby) stood by me because it looked so awful, I couldn't have been attractive to him at all - haha! But once I stopped dying my hair, I realized that it actually had a fairly nice growth rate and in a month was looking good and shaggy.
(Posted Image)
Messyhair
Posted: Sep 25 2005, 06:55 PM

Group Icon

April marked the knife edge stage... will I cut it, will I stick with it..?? The hardest part for me was sticking through the period where my hair was constantly sticking me in the eyes. Bobbypins were my best friends at this point.
(Posted Image)

When my hair got a little longer, I had to start getting regular trims of the back so that I wouldn't grow a mullett. This was an ugly-looking stage for me. Any kind of hair toys are a necessity at this stage just to feel good and reaffirm that "yes, I can do this".
(Posted Image)

About a year into growing, my hair was finally looking more girly and I liked it. It was long enough to not pick into my eyes, and had some nice body to it. It wasn't so bad once I got here, especially since I was keeping track of my progress with pictures, so I would never EVER be tempted to cut again knowing how hard it would be to get this far, to a style I could live with.
(Posted Image)
Messyhair
Posted: Sep 25 2005, 07:02 PM

Group Icon

The hardest stage for me was getting my hair to shoulder length. Others have claimed different stages as being most difficult, but I hadn't had hair to my shoulders in at least five years and had never actually had to grow it out to my shoulders before - it had been that length since I was young until I cut it off. That's what made it difficult for me. Once my hair hit my shoulders, at the end of 2001, I knew I had it made.

That's not to say it was easy waiting for it to get ever longer. I've discovered along the way that my hair likes to take rests now and then and stops growing for a month here and there. This scared me at first, since I'd never had my hair to bra-strap length or beyond. I thought my hair might be incapable of growing longer. Thankfully I was wrong. :)

My hair is the longest it's ever been right now and I plan to keep on growing for at least a while longer. Assuming that it will grow on. It's been resting for three months so far, so it may have reached its terminal length. I'll just have to wait and see.
Messyhair
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 10:34 PM

Group Icon

Time for a new picture. My new wooden comb is working superbly! No bad tangles any more!!! I guess the plastic combs were more trouble than anything. :(

(Posted Image)

Hubby says my ends don't always look that thin, but it looks crappy to me. :( So I guess I may have to trim it back to waist length after all. Poo.
Messyhair
Posted: Feb 8 2006, 09:03 PM

Group Icon

Well, I've suffered some anti-progress since some scissor-happy maniac calling herself a hairdresser tried to give me a trim and ended up cutting off a foot of hair. How hard can it be to understand: keep it at waist length, I want no length trimmed off, I only want the shape to be a deeper u or v so that I have layers on the sides?

She trimmed it for over an hour. The first attempt, she just trimmed a little off the shape that was already there. The second attempt, she seemed to do nothing different. The third attempt, she chopped everything off. Why? She didn't say. I was too upset and just sat there crying. She didn't even tell me that she had done it. I only discovered it when I reached behind my waist to feel my ends and see if they were smooth... and I couldn't reach them. No explanation, no apologizing.

What I have is a nice looking SHORT cut. My nerves have been bad ever since the hair came off. I don't think I really mind it being short, but it certainly upset me at the time. I think too many bad things are happening to me all at once right now and the hair is just contributing to my bad nerves.

I just hope I calm down enough to be able to pass my physiology final and fly to England in peace.
Messyhair
Posted: Apr 27 2006, 05:03 PM

Group Icon

I sampled some henna but the color was too coppery on my hair. Now I'm sampling some good old fashioned dye to see if I like the color. If I do, I'll dye the whole thing red tonight!! But I'm keeping my white streaks, of course.

I need before and after pics... :)
Messyhair
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 05:48 PM

Group Icon

Ooooh, I discovered that I need more than one bottle of dye to cover my head. When I used to dye it before, I had very short hair so I wasn't prepared for this. Two bottles didn't quite cover it all, but two should be enough to finish it up at touch up time. I topped it off with touched up white streaks this morning. Now I'm red-headed to the max with uber-cool streaks!

I'll get pics taken soon so I can show off my semi-fabulous red color! It would be completely fabulous if I hadn't run out of dye... twice. ;)
Messyhair
Posted: May 22 2006, 06:36 PM

Group Icon

I've been re-redded again since my color was turning to a dull orange. My brothers' gf is a hairdresser and she recommended I use the red shampoo/conditioner combos to keep the color. So I think I will! We got some red pieces mixed up in the blond this time, so now I have pink strands in my bangs. If I use the red shampoo/conditioner on the bangs they'll be completely pink. Which I may do... and then I can dye them red with the rest of my hair. :)

I've dropped a small amount of weight over the last few days so I hope that keeps up. That's all the news for now.
Messyhair
Posted: May 31 2006, 02:44 PM

Group Icon

Update on everything:

I got some red hair shampoo and conditioner but it doesn't actually pigment hair, so I bought the third step in the series which is a color glaze. That's like putting red self-tanner on my hair. Very nice results after only the second use. I'm hoping it can help prolong my color as well as blend in my roots so I won't have to color as often. My bangs are turning pink, but I can't afford to keep them bleached anyway. I may try just using other color-safe shampoos and conditioners to limit my spending cause this stuff is expensive.

My weight is back up, but I've been eating better and I'm training with hubby so I can parkour my way to the top. Umm... run and jump my way to a slimmer me. It's been so hot, though... I think I'll invest in some cooler pants and a sports bra once I can climb better so I don't scrape my belly so much. Otherwise, my belly will be shredded. We've been going out every night, but not tonight cause I have a friend coming in less than a week and soooo much cleaning to do. I'm taking the night off to clean. Not really a night off, I guess. :P

Messyhair
Posted: Jun 12 2006, 06:58 PM

Group Icon

My blond streaks are now orange but my red hasn't faded very much. I don't know if that's the glaze at work or mostly the shampoo and conditioner. I wish the stuff was cheaper. :(
Messyhair
Posted: Jun 14 2006, 06:46 AM

Group Icon

I ordered up some henna to try all over. My weak little oranging of my sample hair wasn't encouraging, but I'd like to try to get an auburn. It was expensive, but if it won't fade as easily then I won't need to buy all the products I have. Saving money in the long run, I guess. But how can I darken the henna?
Messyhair
Posted: Jun 17 2006, 06:03 PM

Group Icon

I made the switch to Garnier 100% Color and put it all over, streak and all. I couldn't afford to keep up with streaking the blond piece. Not to mention having the hassle of separating the hair and dying the red first, then waiting until after rinsing it out to bleach the streak. PAIN!! So now it's just one dye job.

It's still wet, so I don't know if the color is much different, but I think it's slightly darker (bonus!!). I don't think hubby's too keen on it cause he hasn't commented on it yet. He really liked the streak, though, and he prefers my red when it's faded to a more natural hue. Boring! haha!

And now, back to our regular scheduled program...
Messyhair
Posted: Jun 17 2006, 09:27 PM

Group Icon

Ah, the streak is resilient and is coming through. It's cool cause now it looks like I have silvery strands in the front. Too bad I can't duplicate it so I'll just have the look for one month. I didn't use enough color on the length unfortunately, so I have bits of my old faded red peeking through, especially on one side (underneath though, so it only shows up if I part my hair on that side). I'll make sure to get it better next time. I think I'll buy another wooden comb just for combing through the dye. Or maybe a fine-toothed comb would be better... hmm, yes. Ah, it's a learning game. I'll eventually have this dying business down to an art.

Messyhair
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 02:50 PM

Group Icon

AH! My henna came in. :wub: I'll get to henna it up next time I need to touch up the roots. It will give me a couple of different shades of red, but maybe less fade. :D I can't wait to try it out.
Messyhair
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 08:39 PM

Group Icon

Oh my goodness, the fade is pretty terrible using Garnier Fructis products. My dye is Garnier and it recommends using the G.F. Color Resist products, but both times I've tried them, my color has faded dramatically. Poo.

In another two weeks (I hope I can last that long), I'll henna it up. That will get rid of my silvery crappy streaks. :) But in the meantime, I'll deal with the fade by trying to ignore it.
Messyhair
Posted: Jul 10 2006, 06:11 PM

Group Icon

Hubby says he likes my natural color... so I'm leaning towards letting it grow out. :) Probably staying the same length, but in my natural color. Man, this will look ugly growing out. But then I can buy Biolage Conditioning Balm and maybe some cassia to make it look its best! Rather than having to spend every last dime on dye and products to not fade said dye.
Messyhair
Posted: Jul 20 2006, 08:48 PM

Group Icon

I picked up some christmas gifts today and got myself a small bottle of monoi oil in the process. I've never used it, since it's not commonly found here. I'm all excited to try it out. I also snagged myself a spa package when I was leaving the mall cause a spa was giving out cheap intro packages to try to get new clients. Hurray!!!

Unfortunately, the gal giving out the spa stuff told me how good my hair color looked and it made me want the red again. I'm over it now (I think...) but I know lots of people at school will say the same thing and it will be hard to resist dying it again. But I want my no hassle hair back, so no dye is the way to go. Actually, the package includes foils, so I think I'll get them to put a darker dye on my formerly blond streaks to try to blend them in a bit better. I hope they'll leave my roots alone, though. It will be hard to convince them not to dye to the roots, probably.

That's all the news for now. Off I go.
Messyhair
Posted: Jul 26 2006, 05:51 AM

Group Icon

I picked up some dandruff shampoo with coal tar to A) help with itchies and B) fade my color. It stripped my hair of build up nicely so it's all soft and fluffy. Didn't stop my itchies, though. Didn't do much to my color either. My roots aren't overly obvious, so I think the color will blend not too badly as it grows out.

Off to work!
Messyhair
Posted: Jul 31 2006, 10:16 AM

Group Icon

My itchies have slowed down a bit... meaning they're not as intense. I think I didn't leave the shampoo on long enough the first time. I started parting my hair differently and it seemed to help, too. The itchies were right on my crown which was right on my part. Seemed to aggravate it somehow.

My length is turning less red by the second, but my roots are hanging on as bright red as ever. It still blends okay with my natural roots so far. I don't think it's a big deal to fade it out more, but I'm not doing anything to protect the color so fade will likely happen.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | ~ Hair Progress Journals ~ | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

~ Shortcut Button Menu ~

Charity Site Links

Note: Clicking these buttons will only take you to their sites. These do not
count as clicks, you still have to click the buttons on their individual sites.

If you like our site you can Bookmark or share it using this button

Visitor Counter
free web 

tracker

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2417 seconds | Archive