Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Hair Care Family. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Hair Care
Family Forums

Backup Forums
~ The Hair Care Family Forums ~

~ Welcome to The Hair Care Family Forums ~
Hair Care & Beauty are our main topics, however we have
family friendly forums for just about any topic you wish to
discuss. If you would like to get to know us better please
feel free to join. We'll do our best to keep our home clean
& friendly. We hope we can learn & share with you.
Be sure to read our
Rules & Rights
If you register please remember to check
your email to complete your registration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Imagine all the people living life in peace... You may say
I'm a dreamer, but Im not the only one, I hope some day
you'll join us, And the world will live as one." -- John Lennon

"Strangers are just the family you have yet come to know"
-- movie "The Five People You Meet In Heaven"

Reciprocal Links

Ear Piercing And Kids
irishred
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 11:52 AM

Family Host / Hostess
Group Icon

Group: Family Host / Hostess
Member No.: 7

Ok, So my Lil'rose asked me to put my earrings in her ears when I took them out today. I explained to her that I couldn't because she didn't have special holes. I showed her mine and how the earring went into the hole.

She still wanted them but I said no, we would have to get your ears pierced. Then said " Maybe we could for your birthday (in Dec - lots of time) and get it done at a good place (NOT WALMART). She got kinda excited and said "earrings for ME?" - yes, special earrings just for you -

SO... would you let your 4yo get her ears pierced and how do I look for a good place to get them done?

PurpleBubba
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 01:34 PM

Family Founder
Group Icon

Group: Administrative Host / Hostess
Member No.: 1

It's funny you mention this. The other day we were tearing apart the living room looking for the back to one of the CheerioMonster's. I don't know when but she's already had hers pierced. She's just turned 15 months.

I personally would want to wait until an older age where the child could express themselves on the matter like yours did. If it's 2 then 2 if it's 4 then 4. But who knows what the mother would want. I haven't met her yet.
irishred
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 01:43 PM

Family Host / Hostess
Group Icon

Hey Bubba,

I had mine done when I was 8 - they infected cause I'm allergic to nickel :( Had them done again when I was like 10 with gold post earrings and they were fine. I have gone through long spells of not wearing earrings and had to re-pop them but it only hurt one time that I did that.

My nieces ears were pierced when she was 3 weeks. She says she remembers it and she is 25 now.

I'll have to talk with daddy about this...

hey you on aim? --- nvm, can't get it to log on :(
PurpleBubba
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 01:53 PM

Family Founder
Group Icon

I am now
irishred
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 02:12 PM

Family Host / Hostess
Group Icon

I can't log on to AIM :(
PurpleBubba
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 02:49 PM

Family Founder
Group Icon

QUOTE (irishred @ Aug 30 2007, 03:12 PM)
I can't log on to AIM :(

I have to go upstairs now. A monster demands it.
Messyhair
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 02:59 PM

1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Group Icon

Group: 1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Member No.: 121

My ears were pierced some time when I was a baby. I remember nothing, of course. I hardly remember what happened five minutes ago. I would make sure that your daughter realizes that it will hurt, though.
Arianwen
Posted: Aug 30 2007, 09:03 PM

600 - 699 Posts - Hearts Bobby Pin
Group Icon

Group: 600 - 699 - Hearts Bobby Pin
Member No.: 151

Piercing guns are dangerous:

Can transmit Hep C, other diseases.
The piercing will not heal properly from piercing guns cause the gun causes "shatter" flesh etc.

If you decide to get your daughter's ears pierced, please go to a reptutable piercer or maybe a doctor.
Messyhair
Posted: Aug 31 2007, 05:53 AM

1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Group Icon

Group: 1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Arianwen @ Aug 30 2007, 10:03 PM)
Piercing guns are dangerous:

Can transmit Hep C, other diseases.
The piercing will not heal properly from piercing guns cause the gun causes "shatter" flesh etc.

If you decide to get your daughter's ears pierced, please go to a reptutable piercer or maybe a doctor.

I agree. The piercing gun can't be sterilized properly and doesn't have a hollow needle to lessen the trauma to the ear. But will the reputable piercing places actually pierce children?
Arianwen
Posted: Sep 2 2007, 05:34 PM

Group Icon

I think maybe they would, perhaps depending on the age of the child. If the parent is there and gives consent...hmm.
berries
Posted: Sep 2 2007, 07:48 PM

200 - 299 Posts - Scrunchie
Group Icon

Group: 200 - 299 Posts - Scrunchie
Member No.: 63

I'm strange. I like body art on others. I cringe when it comes to my own kids.

My daughter just got more tattoos. sigh. She only has 3 piercings tho. One hole in each ear and one in her tongue. She got rid of the one thru her lip. One of my sons has pierced ears. you could put a pencil thru them. He wears these thick small diameter hoops thru the spacers so it doesn't look odd until he takes them out and you realize you can SEE THRU the holes. My youngest son hasn't shown the desire to do any body modification. But it will be a while before he is old enough to do it on his own. :wub:
PixiDust
Posted: Sep 2 2007, 09:28 PM

1000 - 1249 Posts - French Twist Comb
Group Icon

Group: 1000 - 1249 - French Twist Comb
Member No.: 71

IMHO, I think that it's ok to pierce a childs ears when they're old enough to vocalize wanting it done. I had dd1's ears done when she was 10 mos. because everyone thought she was a boy. Her's healed fine. Then I did the same with dd2, and her's got infected so we took them out. As for where to get them pierced I don't know what to tell you there. I used to pierce ears (with a gun) long, long ago when I worked at a kiosk in the mall. What I would do sometimes is do both ears at once. As long as you have your marks on there straight and the child can sit there long enough to let you line them up it's a fairly simple thing to do. I also think that a professional piercer would be a good idea. Then only thing that concerns me there is the loud music most of them have. Maybe make an appointment and let them know it's for a young child?
Arianwen
Posted: Sep 2 2007, 10:02 PM

Group Icon

IIRC my own piercer doesn't have loud music playing, in fact I don't remember music at all, lol. Calling ahead seems like a wise decision. I email mine in advance if I want a new piercing.
irishred
Posted: Sep 7 2007, 01:49 PM

Family Host / Hostess
Group Icon

I have asked a few moms around here and they have all gone to Walmart or Claire's. They both use guns. I know the guns can be problematic but not sure we have many choices around here that we can afford. I know of no doctors that will do it in the area and I'm sure it wouldn't be covered under insurance LOL. There are LOTS of tattoo/piercing places, but I would have no clue as to what is reputable and what is not.

Maybe I'll have my sister look into some in Atlanta and we could plan a trip down there soon. My family is not real happy that we have not been down with the baby since he was born and now my niece has a new baby. That may work out...

Arianwen
Posted: Sep 8 2007, 01:45 AM

Group Icon

I know that it is tempting to go the gun route, since it is generally cheap but it's almost like using the same syringe on two different people. Not worth the risk. Take the time to find a reputable piercer (ask around?) and pay extra for peace of mind.

Also, my piercer gives a 50% off discount on your birthday. :)
Sapphire
Posted: Sep 23 2007, 03:59 PM

10-49 Posts - Ponytail Baubles
Group Icon

Group: Promoted to Honorary 50 Level
Member No.: 54

I had mine pierced as a baby. The good thing about this is that I don't even remember it hurting.

Don't they have those clip on earrings anymore?

I did a Google search and there's sites selling clip on kid earrings. Now, I don't have any idea if these are good quality earrings, from good sellers, but hey, just saying that you can go for clip ons.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Fashion Discussion | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

~ Shortcut Button Menu ~

Charity Site Links

Note: Clicking these buttons will only take you to their sites. These do not
count as clicks, you still have to click the buttons on their individual sites.

If you like our site you can Bookmark or share it using this button

Visitor Counter
free web 

tracker

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1190 seconds | Archive