InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Hair Care Family. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Hair Care
Family Forums

Backup Forums
~ The Hair Care Family Forums ~

~ Welcome to The Hair Care Family Forums ~
Hair Care & Beauty are our main topics, however we have
family friendly forums for just about any topic you wish to
discuss. If you would like to get to know us better please
feel free to join. We'll do our best to keep our home clean
& friendly. We hope we can learn & share with you.
Be sure to read our
Rules & Rights
If you register please remember to check
your email to complete your registration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Imagine all the people living life in peace... You may say
I'm a dreamer, but Im not the only one, I hope some day
you'll join us, And the world will live as one." -- John Lennon

"Strangers are just the family you have yet come to know"
-- movie "The Five People You Meet In Heaven"

Reciprocal Links

Faq - I Need Help Growing Long Hair
PurpleBubba
Posted: May 1 2006, 07:36 PM

Family Founder
Group Icon

Group: Administrative Host / Hostess
Member No.: 1

Faq - I Need Help Growing Long Hair
One of the most frequently asked questions is a new person asking for help with Growing Long Hair. Many times it from someone who has not had long hair in a long time or perhaps never. The following is my usual reply to such a post. If anyone has anything to add please feel free to add it.
~~~~~~~~~~

The best advice I can give in this situation would be to not concentrate on really long lengths. It's great to have a goal length of waist or longer but if you have trouble just getting below the shoulders or to BSL then you should make some in between or short term goals too. Make plans like, "I'll grow until ______ and see how I feel then."

We know that hair averages 6 inches per year. So look at your current length and see where you think you'll be 4-6 inches from now. Then do everything you can do to care for and enjoy your hair during that time. Or some people have an easier time if they ignore their hair for a while. Find what works for you.

Start a journal if you think that will help you. It can be online or offline or both.
Think about certain styles or updos that you might like to try as you grow longer. Or perhaps there are hair toys you'd like to try but can't use until you have longer lengths. Perhaps those can inspire you to stick with it?

Another idea is to get a bulletin board or folder and collect inspirational pictures. It doesn't have to necessarily be your goal hair but rather hair that inspires you.
If you're going to use pictures from online it would be nice if you PM or email the person and ask if you can use their picture. I know some people are flattered when their pictures are used for that purpose but I also know there are those who would appreciate being asked first.

There's something I call a daily hair affirmation where everyday or whenever you think of it, you think of at least one thing that you can say good about your hair.

Another thing is pretend your hair is on someone else and think of what you would say to that person. Would you tell them it was pretty? Or getting longer? Or something positive?

One thing to keep in mind if you are growing out from short hair is that the head is round. And the hair by your forehead has a long way to grow to reach your neck. This means that by that time the hair by your neck might already be well below shoulders. Here is what I mean.
(Posted Image)
Notice how in each image the strands are the same length? This means that if you want your hair to grow out without being layered that much eventually you are going to need to cut a lot off of the back to let the top catch up.
Some people opt to go for a one length Bob of some length before they get to shoulder length. Others wait until after shoulder length and then slowly trim a tiny bit more from the back than the top.
Deciding what shape you want your hemline to be is important. Because in order to get a certain shape you may have to get your hair cut in that shape. Or you may have to grow into it.
You'll have to decide if you want to start out with that shape and then keep it or grow past your goal and then cut the shape in.

Here are some examples of the 3 main hem shapes.
(Posted Image)

Some people choose not to trim at all and in those cases the hair can end up looking most like the V shape. But not necessarily for everyone.

Many times when people post this they are asking if something can make their hair grow faster. I'm not sure if anything will make it grow really fast. I personally take Biotin and MSM everyday but I take just the low daily dose of each. Some people take large doses of these or other things. Some have had results but it's hard to know for sure if these pills caused more growth or not. There are just too many factors to consider that could cause your hair to stop or start growing.

If you decide that you do want to keep your hair trimmed during your grow out you may or may not need a stylist. There are stylists out there who will listen to you and do exactly what you ask for. But there are also stylists who will either misunderstand you or some will ignore you and do what they want. Keep in mind that even your long time stylist may not know how to handle longer hair. Many stylists don't even properly detangle long hair or they are rough with it when they wash it. So if you are going to use a stylist you may need to find a new one at some point.
Here is a thread with tips on that.
http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_F...p?showtopic=396

Here is a thread with a link to some Self Trimming instructions.
http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_F...p?showtopic=771

If you do decide to trim your own hair you may need a proper pair of scissors
http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_F...p?showtopic=521

If you have bangs these threads might help you trim them yourself
"How To Cut Your Own Straight Bangs"
http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_F...p?showtopic=967
"How Does One Texturize Their Own Bangs?"
http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_F...?showtopic=1018

Another thing to consider is if you are currently doing things like blow drying everyday, using irons, or if you are using harsh products.

Some people are used to doing these things everyday and may not think they can have good hair without it.

I say that if your hair continues to grow and not suffer from too much damage then you can continue doing this. Or if you are willing to do an extra trim here and there to remove the damage from your ends if you have it.

As long as you know that irons and other harsh things can potentially keep you from getting the length you desire or could keep you from liking your hair when you do get it the length you want. The same can be true if you color too much using harsh dyes or bleach.

I hope that helps.
SchnauzerMom
Posted: May 1 2006, 08:16 PM

1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Group Icon

Group: 1250 - 1499 Posts - Flower Bands
Member No.: 167

Looks good to me and very helpful I think. :P
Georgy
Posted: May 2 2006, 10:00 AM

Administrative Hostess
Group Icon

Member No.: 80

I think if you use good products and like you said an extra trim, you can blow dry and still have beautiful long hair.
wannabecurly
Posted: Oct 2 2006, 08:07 PM

1000 - 1249 Posts - French Twist Comb
Group Icon

Group: 1000 - 1249 - French Twist Comb
Member No.: 71

Great thread Robert. I personally thought the idea of having an inspirational folder of pics was great. :applaud:
PurpleBubba
Posted: Nov 1 2006, 05:10 AM

Family Founder
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

Thanks Nikki,

I got the bulletin board idea from a friend who used to post at a former site I had. She used to use a bulletin board with magazin pictures and told me about it.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Frequently Asked Questions | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

~ Shortcut Button Menu ~

Charity Site Links

Note: Clicking these buttons will only take you to their sites. These do not
count as clicks, you still have to click the buttons on their individual sites.

If you like our site you can Bookmark or share it using this button

Visitor Counter
free web 

tracker

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3262 seconds | Archive