Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Pokemon Destination. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Welcome Click!
Board Info Click!
Staff Click!
Awards Click!
Links Click!
Credits Click!

Console being discontinued?
*flamingfighter1510
Posted: Jan 15 2012, 01:47 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Co-owner
Member No.: 41

Ok, so CES (Consumer Electronic Show) took place recently and while it mainly featured a lot of Apple stuff, a ;lot of talk began to surface that one of three major gaming involved companies (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) might drop out of the console race. Inb4 I'm an idiot for believing these rumors, but I think this will be a nice way to find out where the members on the site stand in regards to all three systems and to talk about the possibility of one of them dropping out, regardless of the likelihood of this happening.

As for Nintendo, if one console does drop out, I hope this is the one that does. The Wii and most likely the Wii U as well are pretty much covered with games created by Nintendo only, or at least those are the, only games you probably think of when the Wii comes to mind. The adventures of Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, and all the rest of Nintendo's cast are pretty much exclusive to Wii and are pretty much the only reason why a lot of people even play the Wii. The company doesn't really have a lot of third party support for its consoles maybe because the Wii pretty much forces the motion control thing and a lot of companies find it easier to develop for PS3/XBox360 instead of fiddling around with the Wii. Nintendo's games probably also released the notion that the Wii is pretty much only for Nintendo's games and that the consumers of the Wii who are buying these games might not be interested in the games that these third party companies might release. It's much easier for third parties to develop for both XBox360 and PS3 because the two systems are so similar. Their controllers are practically the same in layout, the buttons are just named differently. They can release games for both consoles easily and usually do not want to invest the time and money into developing for the Wii which has such a different control interface.

That said, Nintendo also has a huge Innovation thing going for it. The Wii had (and probably still has) a lot of support because it was the first company to do the full on motion gaming, while dramatically exaggerated (most of the time you just sitting around waving the controller half-halfheartedly instead of jumping around in excitement ((probably like that for PSMove as well)) to play the game) Nintendo has gained the title of "Innovator" in my opinion specifically for this addition. The PS3 has PSMove which is a lot similar, and the XBox360 has Kinect which actually makes you get up from what I can, although I think it is more expensive. The games Nintendo releases also have a huge habit of being very entertaining. I have seen next to no huge arguments over game quality and enjoyment form those that play them. Nintendo might be able to keep up its game sales purely based on reputatio. If you've seen the Nintendo E3 conference last year, you would have clearly felt the air of confusion and discontent over the Wii U, which looks to be exactly the same as the Wii except for the controller thing added. This confusion quickly turned to ecstasy and cheers when Nintendo announced a new Super Smash Brothers to be released for the new system, so I can see the system surviving on the reputation of Nintendo games and with the fact that it seems like the one (to me) that gives off the best "Family-friendly" vibe.

-----------------------------------

Now for Sony. Sony has also had a well established history in the console market. The Playstations 1 and 2 were extremely popular and were praised heavily for their competence. The problem with this is that Sony got a bit arrogant. There was disappointment with the Playstation 3 in its first years. As a result of this, Playstation 3 sales did very poorly at its start. The console has become very popular more recently and now has its place as the XBox's rival in the gaming community. But what I think this might boil down to if Playstation has any chance of dropping out of the console race will have to be the new system. If they get the same arrogance that cost them as much as Playstation 3 did when it debuted, then even the sales of their other devices, such as TVs, Blu-Ray players, and other commodities, won't be able to offset the failure once again. For Playstation to survive it likely needs a very good start and for the sales to do very well at its release and to keep doing well for a good while. I read some articles somewhere about how Sony said that the Playstation 4 was already complete. I'm hoping that this mean that they will still keep adding and improving it, 'tweaking it' I should say, over the course of the next few years (since Playstation 3 is going to be their signature console for a few more years) in order to keep improving it.

Playstation 3 has its own good qualities. It is the system that features Blue_ray, allowing it to function as player for Blue-Ray DVDs and for games to be compacted into 1 disc, whereas XBox360 might have the same game except 2 or 3 discs long. Playstation 3 also has a gaming community that strikes me as less Elitist. Online play is laggy at times and even crashes, however it is also free, so you might as well be getting your money's worth. Sony isn't likely to spend too much effort on their online since they can gain little or no profit from it after expending time and manpower into improving, so it is more or less untouched on improvement. Basically the success of Sony hinges on the PlayStation 4, and I personally believe that Sony can easily make a good system like this if they truly put a lot of time and effort into it.
-------------------------------------

Now there is Microsoft and the XBox line. The first XBox was released in around 2001 with prices deemed ridiculously high by several people. Over the years XBox has improved in its presentation and has become the most popular console of the Western/North American specifically, gaming world. Issues it may have is that it is not as well received in some other countries. I know for a fact that XBox360 sales in Japan are pretty small, most being in preference of the PlayStation 3. XBox has a great online program, having servers that, when laggy, are immediately fixed by Live support Staff. It also has a more dedicated online community. This might be both good and bad, but it has heavy appeal to a large gaming community.

I personally don't have a problem with the XBox system, only most of the users. Just about everyone in real life that I know, upon finding out I use the PS3 to XBox, who themselves prefer XBox says something along the lines of "Oh! PS3 sucks XBox is better!" except they add a bunch of slangs instead like they are tough, black guy gangster stereotypes (and this person is a less than 5 foot kid that is as white as Edward Cullen). When I ask them why this is the case, they say "Because XBox is better!" which frustrates me. The next level answer is usually "Because PS3 got hacked!" Microsoft itself is not stranger to being hacked. Thanks to people having to have their credit card information saved if they want to use Live, hackers usually have a lot more to gain from hacking XBox than PS3 accounts, where you can remove saved credit card information. As we speak, since the release of FIFA, hacking of accounts has gone up since people can break into the accounts, buy FIFA card packs for the game using the victim's credit card, and then sell them for the hacker's profit. In fact, several places have noted that Microsoft might have worse security than PlayStation, because they often say that it was the victim's fault when a lot of the issues might be cleared if they just included the option to erase credit card information if the Live user wishes. if I bring up this argument, all XBox users except 1 say "Whatever, PS3 is worse" and end it as if that statement makes everythign they believe factual. This is what irks me, NOT the XBox itself, but the people like this. I haven't run across any PS3 users in real life that have this same behavior towards XBox, though I know they are out there, and I know that I'm just generalizing an audience by the actions of a few, but I can't help that. it gets really irritating EVERY time (it happens a lot). (Also I am pretty pissed at Microsoft for screwing me out of Bioshock 2)

Anyways, i don't have a problem with the XBox system. I actually hope that it succeeds. With its close competition with Microsoft, Sony can be better inspired ot improve their hardware. If I had to pick any console to go under, I would likely pick the Wii. While it may have innovation to consoles as we know it, it still doesn't seem to be able to keep up or attract the same large audience that the other 2 systems have. Nintendo's games can still be marketed on other systems I think, but the system doesn't seem to be able to keep up, even though it makes the most changes that the other 2 systems incorporate.I don't think Microsoft or Sony are especially concerned with trying to outdo Nintendo's Wii system since it seems so far behind a lot of the time, and since only now are they improving their system outputs, graphics capabilities, and possibly the adding of features that PS3 and XBox has had for a good long while. I would honestly prefer if none of them went under, and they probably won't I just thought it was an interesting topic.

BTW, I may be misinformed or incorrect on a lot of stuff above. Feel free to correct any of my misinterpretations or mistakes in your response.
^^
Dino2010
Posted: Jan 15 2012, 06:03 PM

King of My World
Group Icon

Group: Trainer
Member No.: 9

Of course the Wii is being discontinued, it's spiritual successor is almost upon us. When the PS3 first debuted while the PS2 was still on the market guess what happened? Exactly. There was suddenly a lack of developer support and less games hit the shelves. Over time the console faded away. That's what's going to happen. While the Wii did garner more sales than its competitor, Nintendo ignored its hardcore market. Everything catered to people who barely play videogames or did for small amounts of time. Crap such as trivia games and yoga made me shiver. I mean, Wii Sports was and still is the best console bundle in awhile, but as a Wii owner I haven't purchased a game in about 2-3 years. Other than Nintendo's series there's a lack of gems out there for the Wii. Even so, some ports were shitty.

Honestly the only good thing going for the Wii is its WiiWare/Virtual Console, where you can purchase a bunch of goodies from the NES/SNES/64 days. The handhelds however have dominated the PSP and its variants as well as the new challenger, the iPod Touch. I own a Gen 4 iPod, but I won't get into the ridiculous amount of things you can do with that device.

I'm looking forward to the Wii U since Nintendo has promised to go HD with the console that SHOULD HAVE been the first Wii, AKA Revolution. So far, the third party support looks good and with a new Smash Bros. in the works, well biggrin.gif

I'm not going to go into PS3/360. It's all about personal preference. I'm more of an elitist player and with all the services and server protection provided by the Live team I swung towards the 360 bandwagon. It may have been different back in 07 if PS3's weren't $500 a pop. Now that's ridiculous.

Sony fans. I do own a PS2 slim. And for $130 it was a great deal. I can get a PS3, but what for? The difference between it and 360 are exclusive games and lighting in multiplatform games. I don't care about that. There's just no reason for me to own both. It will just make me look like a braggart in the eyes of many.
^^
TrainerN
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 07:26 AM

Derp
Group Icon

Member No.: 87

One simple reason the Wii is being discontinued:
The Wii U Plays ALL Wii games and you can transfer your data. Nuff said.
^^
*flamingfighter1510
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 12:03 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Well, I accidentally didn't make myself clear. I meant that one company would be dropping out of the console race. Meaning that in the XBOx(720?)/PS4/And Wii U era, one of the companies might stop making consoles. I accidentally generalized both the original Wii and the Wii U as just "The Wii". What I failed to explain is that either Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo might drop out depending on the sales of their next consoles. I wasn't meaning "The Wii" I meant the Wii U would be discontinued. My mistake.
^^
Wolf
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 12:07 PM

The Wolf's Return
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (TrainerN @ Jan 16 2012, 01:26 PM)
"The Wii U Plays ALL Wii games and you can transfer your data."

But, will the Wii U also be able to read NGC (GameCube) discs/games?

Because if I ever choose to buy one (don't know why), there will be a high chance that I will play GameCube games as well(because they still rock, that's why xD)...
^^
*flamingfighter1510
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 07:28 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Yes, I still play many older sonic games (Mega Collections and the adventures) on the Wii while they are for GameCube discs, in addition to Legend Of Zelda games and a couple of other various games. I was never really for Wii releases so if the Wii U does not support GameCube, that would essentially cut in half the games I would play for it. From what I have seen, it doesn't look like the Wii U has any GameCube controller slots. So either A) No GameCube Compatibility. Or cool.gif They will opt the WiiMotes somehow to support it, which I don't really see as being likely (But then again, I don't know how this stuff works).
^^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1795 seconds | Archive
skin created by carleigh of atf, sds, bi and sp