Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Natural Beekeeping. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Bees Wanted
Janco2
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 08:03 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

It doesn't seem as if anyone looks or posts on this site now which is real disappointment to us.
Unfortunately we lost our one colony of bees over this last winter.
Obviously we are very disappointed. We still have our 2 TBH's and a nucleus hive all empty and hoping...........
I know it's a long shot but if anyone knows where we can get a swarm/nucleus somewhere not too far away we would love to hear from you.

Very much hope everyone else is managing well with their colonies.

Jan and Colin
Vee
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 11:10 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

Hello Jan & Colin,
You might contact Jo Widdicombe (bee inspector) who is trying to develop a Cornish Black Bee so is willing to sell (probably not give) to people interested in this. He is enormously helpful / really nice bloke. His telephone number is: 01752 822 335 or email: jowid@idnet.com.
I've got a bit of queue if any of my 5 hives swarm - but in any case, because of work and 3 of them being on an out-apiary, I tend to miss swarms if/when they happen...
Because I've just converted my 4 horizontal TBHs to Warres (vertical TBHs), it's not likely that I shall manage any splits this year but next year may be an opportunity for fellow Warre beeks.
All the best for now, Vini
Janco2
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 08:19 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks for the response Vini.
Glad to hear that all your hives are thriving.
Quite interested as to why you have decided to go for Warre hives now.
We were originally deterred from them by the probable lifting involved in their management.

Jan and Colin
Vee
Posted: May 7 2012, 11:14 AM

Advanced Member

Apologies Jan & Colin - I try not to be disheartened but don't check the site nearly as much as I should...
Anyway, I've made myself a lifting device for my Warres which is wonderfully easy to use and gives me such a thrill because it's so gentle and simple that apart from a very small amount of confusion when the bees' entrance appears to go skywards all returns to normal very quickly.
I've also discovered the seriously down side of having an out-apiary as my absolutely huge hive swarmed on 1 May - witnessed by the owner of the field who couldn't reach the 1st settling place. Pain really but I hope they do well - and I shall now have a new queen and possible casts from that hive, which is looking considerably subdued at present...
All the best, Vini
Vee
Posted: May 7 2012, 11:28 AM

Advanced Member

I forgot to say that I’ve turned to Warré’s for several reasons.
* Firstly because I found the removal of combs from TBHs was becoming a real pain
* Then there was the problem of, what if the winter cluster was in the middle… which way did they go for food – and could they go back to the other end when they needed to?
* I love the fact that they are always working downwards on new comb – no need to renew a few brood combs every year
* A Warré is much, much easier for the bees to keep warm which I’m realising is really important in Winter
* And they can police their wax moth better
* The Warrés are easier for me to manhandle on my own
* And finally, harvesting a whole box is a heck of a lot easier than carving out combs here and there.
The downsides are:
* Difficult to inspect – but I’ve put windows in the back of all my boxes
* Difficult to do swarm control – but I’ve been reading in the BBKA mag that letting bees swarm is good for the them. Also, letting the bees select which 1, 2 or 3 of the masses of queen cells is necessary on the principle that ‘they know best’
* Difficult to treat with medicaments etc – so I’m holding back on that at present… and I’ll see what happens. I’m beginning to think that interference may be more damaging than non-interference.
I hope that all makes sense.
Cheers, Vini
Janco2
Posted: May 11 2012, 09:57 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks for all that information about Warre hives Vini.
It all makes a lot of sense.
The Warre hives look to be more difficult to make than the straight forward TBH's.
Your woodworking skills must be pretty good by now.

We are really pleased to know that you are doing so well with beekeeping.

We won't be giving up but I think it may well be some time before we manage to get hold of any more bees.

All the best,

Jan and Colin
Janco2
Posted: Jul 29 2012, 08:22 AM

Advanced Member

We have been given a small swarm from a friend who has 3 TBH's.
A bit late for a swarm but they seem to be working well and we are feeding them also.
These are sited in an 8 bar nucleus hive right in front of the 4' TBH that we will transfer them into in a few weeks time.
Vee
Posted: Jul 30 2012, 05:34 PM

Advanced Member

Hurrah! I do hope they do well. All the best, Vini
Janco2
Posted: Aug 5 2012, 04:09 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks Vini. They are doing fine so far.

Jan
« Next Oldest | For Sale/Wanted | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0228 seconds · Archive