zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Natural Beekeeping. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Swarms
Tavascarow
Posted: Jun 17 2010, 05:19 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Will all members who haven't already done so please send me their contact details (phone E-mail etc).
I'm trying to act as our group swarm coordinator & being able to contact you when I here of a swarm in your area is a priority.
Even if you yourself don't need the bees, we have/will have members who do/will.
SteveA can you stickify this one please.
Steve M.

smile.gif
Beebass
Posted: Jun 17 2010, 05:23 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Tavascarow @ Jun 17 2010, 05:19 PM)
Will all members who haven't already done so please send me their contact details (phone E-mail etc).
I'm trying to act as our group swarm coordinator & being able to contact you when I here of a swarm in your area is a priority.
Even if you yourself don't need the bees, we have/will have members who do/will.
SteveA can you stickify this one please.
Steve M.

smile.gif

Indeed I can...

I've also PM'd you my contact details.

Tavascarow
Posted: Jun 18 2010, 08:03 AM

Advanced Member

This would also be the best place to post if you are still looking for bees.
As we expand as a group it's going to be hard for me to keep track of who have & haven't got bees.
It would be best for security reasons to send your contact details to me via PM.
& if any of you haven't got mine say so & I will forward them.
SteveM.
smile.gif
Beebass
Posted: Jul 23 2010, 10:05 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Posted on behalf of Pam at St. Tudy:

Pam's bees have swarmed and anyone needing a swarm or who can help her collect them can they contact Pam on:

07890629902 ASAP

(I'm posting this because Pam's PC is in the repairers)
Janco2
Posted: Jul 23 2010, 02:20 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

Just a quick post to say that we went and collected Pam's swarm, brought it back home and it is now hopefully on its way into an 8 bar nucleus hive for the time being. Whether they will abscond again is another matter!!

Jan and Colin
Tavascarow
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 05:40 AM

Advanced Member

I'm happy to bet good money they don't abscond.
Bees prefer the smell of an old nest site over new.
& your nuc box will have traces of wax & propolis that will settle them.
If you are going to feed them watch them very carefully for robbing.
The main flows will be slowing down now, so your other colony will take advantage of some free sugar given the right opportunity.
Only fill the feeder late in the day when the bees are at home & be prepared to shut the entrance down to a bee space.
Good luck.

smile.gif
Janco2
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 09:48 AM

Advanced Member

Hopefully you are right Steve.
We have just been down there to check and put in some sugar syrup but they seem to be building on all bars and we couldn't get anything in under them without major disturbance so we have just left them to it.
Pity about the weather today!
There is some activity in and out of the entrance hole even in this damp and dull weather.
Tavascarow
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 05:05 PM

Advanced Member

Make a feeder like Johns at St Tudy or JohnPs here on the forum.
user posted image
Then you won't have to disturb them at all.
smile.gif
Janco2
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 10:24 AM

Advanced Member

Done that Steve for our nucleus colony in main hive.
user posted image

However problem with the 8 bar nucleus hive we are using for the swarm is that there are so many bees and they seem to be making chains from every top bar! We did not want to thoroughly disturb them and thus scare them off.

Thank goodness weather is OK today and they seem to be busy out and about.
Paul
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 10:38 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Sounds that your new colony is healthy and doing what they should. Best left undisturbed for a while, let them get on with it. Feeder looks great, love the lid! I must 'get on' this week too and make a feeder. Hope we get good weather for a day or two.
Janco2
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 10:39 AM

Advanced Member

Colin has now come up with the idea of taping together 2 ice cream containers thus making a box which will contain a similar size tub complete with float so bees won't drown. There is already a sealed entrance hole on one end of nucleus hive which we can easily unseal and attach the box with an equivalent hole in the side for the bees to get through and access sugar syrup inside.

Hope you can understand that! Now he's off to make it and try it. smile.gif
freebeeatst.tudy
Posted: Aug 25 2010, 10:13 PM

Member No.: 13

Hello both!

Haven't been on here for ages, looks like you are looking after my swarm very well, how are they getting on?
Janco2
Posted: Aug 26 2010, 07:09 PM

Advanced Member

Hi Pam,

Yes they seem to be doing ok. We have been feeding them regularly (50:50 sugar syrup) and they do seem to be working on most of the 8 top bars in the nucleus hive.

As the weather has not been too good we haven't made a detailed inspection as yet. We are hoping to have a settled period of good weather so we can transport them to Nic's hive.

Hope you are both fine and your bees are building up for the winter.

Jan and Colin
Janco2
Posted: Sep 5 2010, 12:43 PM

Advanced Member

An update on the swarm we collected from Pam's bees on 23 July.
We transported the nucleus box to it's new home on 31 Aug.
Placed it in front of the main hive and on 4 Sep transferred all to the new hive.
user posted image

If I've got the link right it should show a series of photos I took.
There was very little room left in the nuc box so we put another 3 top bars in when we transferred them. There were 2 pieces of broken comb in the bottom of the nuc box and they looked as if they had broken off some time back and were covered in bees so we simply moved the lot to the bottom of the new hive. Bees were not happy but within an hour the nuc box was almost clear and all seemed well.
We put more 50:50 sugar syrup in for them also as it is getting late in the season and we are concerned about whether they will have enough stored honey to survive the winter.
Any advice would be very welcome.

Jan
Paul
Posted: Sep 7 2010, 09:28 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Splendid series of photographs. Nice TBH too! I'm afraid I can't give any advice on feeding as I'm in the same situation too.
I'm not too happy about the level of stores in my TBH, in fact the level of honey stored in my hive has decreased over the last fortnight. As a result I put a feeder on last weekend.
« Next Oldest | General Chat | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0269 seconds · Archive