Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Natural Beekeeping. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Hi Folks!, Will This Do?
Beebass
Posted: Jun 11 2010, 12:41 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

People seem (unsurprisingly) hacked off with Yahoo Groups and appear to want a new, more user-friendly home.

Will this do?

Steve A.

Edit: We can add photos to posts and everything biggrin.gif

user posted image
Paul
  Posted: Jun 11 2010, 10:17 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Indeed it will do. Thanks for creating, it's much more user friendly.
Beebass
Posted: Jun 11 2010, 10:43 PM

Administrator

It's certainly much more welcoming, or it will be when people start to post. I can't believe that Yahoo Groups thing is still going, it's like the stuff we had to put up with in the late 80s...

I already run a forum for bass players so I thought it fell to me to do the necessary for us. Invision is really nice, powerful software and I can hardly believe that it's all free. The only 'price' we pay is having to put up with the adverts. The software and hosting fees for my other forum are quite expensive, certainly over Ł100 p.a.
JohnP
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 07:53 AM

Member No.: 2

My name's John Payne and I live in Long Rock just outside Penzance.

I'm another newbee with accommodation ready but no tenants. After reading Phil Chandler's book I made a 500mm (internal) TBH to use up some offcuts from recently fitted floorboards and to practice, then a 1 metre one from new floorboards and a 250mm nuc from blockboard offcuts. I've fitted plastic mesh temporarily while waiting for stainless varroa mesh to arrive (lost on Parcel Force). After reading the chat on Biobees forum about top bars I have been unsure what to do for the best. For the main hive I've done wax-filled kerfs. What are your thoughts and experiences re straight or otherwise comb-building?

I've joined the WCBKA and applied to do the next course at Duchy, but although everyone is friendly I've already experienced the "attitude" to TBHs.

Onto the topic: I was going to suggest a Facebook group as being easy to set up and giving access control, photo uploads and so on but the forum looks great. Good job.

John

Will try to load images when back from bike ride
Beebass
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 12:18 PM

Administrator

Hi John!

That's a lovely part of the County...
Before I moved to Cornwall permanently I used to come and stay at Long Rock whenever I could. There was an old-fashioned pub called The Mounts Bay that used to do B&B. It was still there when I last drove through a couple of years ago although I don't know if Doreen and Steve still run the place.

I took the lazy man's route to TBH hives and bought a ready-made one from Cornwall Honey. I was going to make my own but knew I'd never finish it before my colony swarmed. Mine came with top bars that have a triangular moulding nailed to the underside, the tip of which has been dipped/painted with melted wax. So far it seems to be working perfectly and my swarm has built comb onto about 8-10 bars with no cross combing so far.

I'll try and take some pics later on in the day...

Steve
Janco2
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 05:09 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

Hi all,

Just to say we have made it to this new forum but under a different name (was clnbrtltt).

Still waiting for our nuc from Heather Bell honey but have a 3 foot hive ready and waiting in the orchard. We are also making a 4 foot hive from cedar wood obtained from Klaudia. That's well on the way to completion.

We look forward to seeing everybody at the end of the month.

Jan and Colin
Beebass
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 06:22 PM

Administrator

Hi both!

I'm pretty sure it's your photos that I've "shamelessly pirated" elsewhere in the forum. I hope you don't mind...I just wanted to post some relevant content that wasn't mine.

I only got my first nuc last year and I thought the guy had forgotten me...I guess that the colonies are swarming round about now and they will want to feed them up for a bit and check that all's well before selling them on, I guess that could take a few weeks? Hope you get them soon smile.gif
Janco2
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 06:53 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

That's fine about the photos and reassuring about the nuc.

Our nuc should be ready June/July time but we think we'd better let them know we will be away for 10 days from 30 July. We would like to have them installed and settled by then. I would hate for them to abscond in our absence.
Beebass
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 07:22 PM

Administrator

[QUOTE=Janco2,Jun 12 2010, 06:53 PM]Our nuc should be ready June/July time but we think we'd better let them know we will be away for 10 days from 30 July. We would like to have them installed and settled by then. I would hate for them to abscond in our absence.[/QUOTE]

Robert's a good bloke, I bought my TBH from him and ordered some more stuff from him today. Be worth letting him know you will be away however...

I suspect if I'd badgered the guy I'd got my bees from I would have got mine a bit sooner but I hate hassling busy people.

If they arrive just before your holiday, it might be an idea to leave them in the nuc, sited where the proper hive will be and decant them on your return.
columbinegarden
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 08:47 PM

Member No.: 7

Hi all,

I've just registered and am just checking it out.

Pam, if you are here yet, thanks for the details of the visit to your place. I'm looking forward to it, and yes, am very keen to see how others are using TBH's in preparation for populating mine. The photos on here are really good!

Nic
JohnP
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 09:44 PM

[IMG]http://picasaweb.google.comj0hn.p4yneDropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCIPC2v6zu6HCBQ&pli=1#5481875914101628482[/IMG]

Hmm, can't get image post to work: it just shows the link, not the image.

I bought Robert Bell's videos and beekeeping notes off eBay then one of his camo suits.

Opposite the Mount View is the Mexico Inn. We live three houses along, by the roundabout!

Beebass
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 10:02 PM

Administrator

The link doesn't work either...

Safari can’t open the page “http://picasaweb.google.comj0hn.p4ynedropbox/?authkey=Gv1sRgCIPC2v6zu6HCBQ&pli=1#5481875914101628482” because Safari can’t find the server “picasaweb.google.comj0hn.p4ynedropbox”.

For an image to appear you need a URL that ends in .jpg

You must be almost next-door to the shop then smile.gif

I used to stay in the Mounts Bay and eat in the Mexico, I'm going back to last century however. Is that old reclamation centre/scrapyard still down the road?

Hi Nic! smile.gif
JohnP
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 10:08 PM

Ah yes we're actually three doors down from the shop, not the Mexico, right next to the roundabout. Trader Gray of Shiver me Timbers died recently but his brother (I think) is carrying on the business. I tried to get some reclaimed boards from there but they were dearer than new and not that great.
Beebass
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 10:18 PM

Administrator

I spent a happy afternoon walking around Shiver me Timbers with my camera, but I got the same impression as you...dearer than new. ohmy.gif
JohnP
Posted: Jun 12 2010, 10:30 PM

[IMG]http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss313/john-payne/?action=view&current=011.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs587.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss313%2Fjohn-payne%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D011.jpg%26[/IMG]

Still no joy

« Next Oldest | General Chat | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0353 seconds · Archive