RulesRegistering a Character
1. Before registering a name, please keep in mind the time period and location.
2. Register with a first and last name only with optional middle name/middle initial and optional title (i.e.: Lord, Lady, Sir, Dr.). Be sure to check the list of existing characters to avoid name repeats. Also, try to balance out the male:female ratio if it is very uneven.
3. All characters must be original or canon.
4. Please, no Gary Stue's or Mary Sue's.
5. There is no limit on how many characters you can have, but you must be able to keep them all active. If you want a character deleted, just PM an admin.
6. Members that have an accepted character are no longer forced to write applications for future characters. Members STILL need to post in the face claim and character roster!
7. After posting your application, or introducing your character, claim your play-by in the face claim
8. The first part of the password is 'Bill'.Role Playing
1. Please use correct English grammar, spelling, punctuations, etc. Of course we all make mistakes, so be sure to scan your posts for any convention errors.
2. Post in third person.
3. Avoid one-liners. There is no word count minimum, but try to have at least one full paragraph of writing in each post.
4. Any content which might be deemed inappropriate for anyone under the age of eighteen must be labeled with "rated M" for mature.
5. No God moding. This means that you cannot decide what happens to another character. For example, you cannot say, "Edwin punched Oliver in the mouth and knocked his front teeth out."
Instead, "Edwin threw a punch, aiming for Oliver's mouth."
You must give Oliver a chance to react or decide whether or not he is hit.
6. Label threads as "open" or tagged (with the character's name). If a thread is not tagged, then players are allowed to assume the thread is open to everyone.
7. The last part of the password is "Sikes."
8. Try to respond to threads in a timely matter. If you're going to be on vacation or won't be able to access the internet, let us know in the "Farewell, Adieu" forum.
9. Remember that this is the 19th century. If you are unsure whether or not an object, saying, person, etc was made/born yet, just don't use it or, better yet, do a little research. It is not required that you do any research to roleplay, but, if you are not familiar with the time period, you are strongly encouraged to do so. There are some helpful resources on the Victorian era in the Information forum.
10. One character may be in no more than 4 active threads at a time.
11. Refer to the sidebar for the time of year. When the month changes, all new threads should correspond.
12. Expect activity checks as often as once a month. You will have two weeks to respond to an activity check. If you do not, you risk deletion of your account(s)!
13. We have a 'Special Guest' account that is used to insert NPCs into the story, anyone is free to use it as they please. The account password is London - note that this has NOTHING to do with the password you need for your application.
14. All members are required to date their threads, to see when all current threads are taking place - please visit our timeline. Personalizing
1. Please keep signature and avatar pictures at a reasonable size. Signature widths should be 500 pixels maximum - height is not a problem. Icons are 170x250
2. It is not required that you have an avatar or signature picture, but it helps for other members to have a visual of your character. They do not have to be in period dress/style, but it gives it a nice effect.
3. To make things easier for other members, put a link to your character biography in your signature.
*Rules are subject to change. Check back here for changes.