Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Iwrg Lucha Libre. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Good AAA, Did it ever exist?
Phil Schneider
Posted: Aug 2 2010, 03:05 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

OJ shit all over Santo v. Psicosis over at his blog, and the mid 90's AAA I have checked out in the last couple of years has underwhelmed. So does any AAA hold up to revaluation?
Ruggles
Posted: Aug 2 2010, 09:55 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

I still love Venum and other random undercard matches, but that's a bit later. What stuff has underwhelmed? I just watched La Parka vs. Fishman, and enjoyed it. Rey Jr. is still fun to watch.
Iamb
Posted: Aug 3 2010, 11:33 AM

Member No.: 36

I watched Blue Panther vs. Mariachi last night looking for a match that might hold up, it was great. The mat work is exemplary and the run of nearfalls in the tercera is pretty awesome too.

I'd put some of the Apache matches with Sevilla and Billy Boy up as well. The match with Sevilla in the rain is one of my favourites from AAA.
Graham Crackers
Posted: Aug 4 2010, 11:57 PM

Member No.: 11

I think AAA is a case of the company that has many average to good matches with very few great matches. The AAA era on the Hijo Del Santo comp mainly consists of matches that aren't bad but have nothing that stand out. There are also a number of trios that feel really aimless or are dragged down by an unmotivated Santo and there being too much spotlight on inferior workers (Estrada, Konnan, etc).

Most of the heavily pimped AAA matches I've seen are good examples of matches that are really good but not great. I think the Santo/Octagon/Blue Panther vs Love Machine/Eddy/Fuerza 8/28/93 and the Santo/Octagon vs Eddy/Love machine 11/5/93 tag title match as well as Rey/Super Calo/Winners vs Heavy Metal/Picudo/Psicosis from 1/29/93 can all fit in that category. What might be really hard is figuring out how many great AAA matches there are. I've got:

Blue Panther vs El Mariachi, 10/30/94
El Hijo Del Santo, Octagon & Rey Misterio Jr. vs Psicosis, Blue Panther & Fuerza Guerrera, 3/16/95
El Hijo Del Santo, Love Machine & Eddy Guerrero vs Fishman, Fuerza Guerrera & Blue Panther, 8/1/93
El Hijo del Santo, Octagon, La Parka & Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Pentagon, Psicosis, Blue Panther & Fuerza Guerrera, Triplemania 6/18/95
Blue Panther vs Super Astro, 10/9/92

What else is there? I haven't seen many of Rey's matches there in ages and the same goes for lots of the 90s mid card AAA matches. I remember a few runs of good matches in AAA from 2006-08 but were any of those great?
« Next Oldest | Other Lucha Libre | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2198 seconds | Archive