Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Gravinia, Raiders' Haven, Ask First
Dendro the Raider
Posted: Dec 3 2011, 10:35 AM

Merchant Scourge

Group: Human
Member No.: 49

It was late in the day when Dendro the Raider, belting on his dastardly scimitars, retrieved his heavy, dark cloak from its peg on his wall and threw it across his muscled shoulders. The weight of the woven fabric ignited his excitement, foretelling his success in a few short hours, and an enormous grin erupted on his face. Everything, it seemed, had returned to its proper place, and all that was required of the leader of the thieving guild was a trip into the Desert to form that appearance into a concrete reality. That knowledge, of how near he was to recovering it all after the Knights had annihilated it, widened his sneer further still, for Dendro could not understand why lesser beings would try to resist the inevitable.

But that's what makes life interesting. Where would I be without the stupidity of everyone else? Inflated conceit paced the Raider as he left his quarters, pulling the heavy, round door shut behind him. With his quiver in place and longbow slung over his shoulder, his intentions were perfectly clear, and those Raiders who had not heard his earlier address scrambled to ready themselves. The assault, of course, would commence lacking the whole-hearted approval of Feathers, though that was hardly unusual, for the Rito seemed to think most of Dendro's decisions erroneous. Bashkar's enthusiasm, however, had taken him somewhat by surprise, given his professed aversion to the contract. Yet the part-Sheikah was a brigand at heart, and the prospect of a lucrative raid could not be eclipsed by his disfavor.

"If I possessed any sense a' all, then I'd try to dissuade you."

Dendro, walking towards the stall of his bay stallion, smirked at the blatant sarcasm in Bashkar's tone. The part-Sheikah, supervising the preparations of the bandits, was leaning against the stone wall opposite the guild leader. Heaving his tack onto Viczar, who emitted not the slightest bit of interest in the activity around him, Dendro turned to Bashkar. "Shame ye dun."

The part-Sheikah snorted. "Grea' shame," he agreed facetiously. Pushing away from the carved stone which formed the tunnels through which the Raiders operated, he approached the stall, and his tone was bereft of levity when he spoke. "Try not to make a complete spectacle of yourself," he warned, "Wouldn't wan' 'em destroyed a week after they've reformed."

Dendro, slipping the bridle over the stallion's dark ears, chuckled. "Ye be knowin' me. Soul o' caution."

The one-eyed retired Raider scoffed and with a snort of disbelief shook his pale head. "That's wha' concerns me, Dendro," he admitted, "Try to contain your enthusiasm. Remember his connections."

"I'd pay ta see 'Ayden's face when 'e figures ou' who done i'."

The response was not what Bashkar had desired, but altogether what he expected. Questioning his decision not to accompany them, the part-Sheikah stepped back as Dendro led Viczar from the stall and mounted the bay stallion. Then, thrusting a fist into the air, Dendro spun the stallion and led the mounted group towards the earthen ramp, angling northwest towards their destination in the lands of Lord Magvel.

--------------------
Riding the day, every day into sunset
Finding the way back home
Once upon a night we'll wake to the carnival of life
The beauty of this ride ahead, such an incredible high
It's hard to light a candle easy to curse the dark instead
This moment, the dawn of humanity
Last ride of the day!
Nightwish

The Red Raiders
Dendro the Raider
Posted: Dec 22 2011, 11:05 AM

Merchant Scourge

Darkness still cloaked the landscape when Dendro the Raider and most of the sixty men who had accompanied him returned in triumph to Gravinia. Arrogance, a supreme aura of invincibility and complete conquest, emanated from every soul, yet the veteran outlaws betrayed not a sound, save for the rhythmic footfalls of their horses, as they neared the concealed tunnel entrance to their subterranean haven. Even those who had been wounded in the attack and were unable to ride, those who bumped along in the wagons with the goods, remained absolutely silent; like all the other members of the Red Raiders they understood completely the strict requirement of total secrecy. Should they presume to make a spectacle of themselves, then they risked undermining everything they had accomplished by alerting their Sheikah neighbors, not to mention their own health at the hands of Dendro.

Nevertheless, every face reflected their victory, and it was an expression which Dendro echoed as he directed Viczar to the side of the earthen ramp, watching as the booty and his soldiers disappeared into the old mining tunnels beneath Kakariko Gorge. The stallion, jubilant like all the others, tossed his dark head and arched his neck, reminding each of those who passed who it was who had truly secured victory at the outpost. Dendro, perfectly attuned to the idiosyncrasies of his stallion after fifteen years, merely grinned and did not even respond when Viczar proudly flagged his thick onyx tail. His focus, as it should be, remained riveted on what he had achieved, and it was only after the last man had descended onto the ramp that Dendro followed suit, passing those Raiders who were coming upwards to erase the condemning tracks of their peers.

"See ye managed not to get 'em all killed."

A sneer on his face, Dendro looked to Bashkar who, with Feathers, stood just outside the stables, assessing what their guild had accomplished. "They'd 'ave ta be migh'y weak ta lose to 'em," he retorted, 'Ardly worth our time."

The Rito, his reduced weight supported by the wall behind him, clicked his beak disdainfully. "You lost nearly a dozen lives, Dendro," he reprimanded, "Would you call that a total victory?"

The leader of the Red Raiders merely shrugged and, dropping the stallion's reins, swung his right leg over the pommel of the saddle and dismounted. Immediately, though, he regretted his decision as pain assailed him from his sliced hip to the muscles on his torso and those surrounding his shoulders. Clamping down on his lower lip, Dendro muttered expletively under his breath and leaned against the saddle for a moment until he wrestled the stinging sensations under control.

"Age is the cruelest poison, is it not?"

His sea-colored eyes narrowing dangerously, Dendro rounded on Bashkar and cursed him. The part-Sheikah chuckled in response as Dendro, favoring his right leg slightly, led Viczar to his stall. After giving the stallion a hasty, cursory brushing, Dendro tossed the horse an armful of hay and started deeper into the labyrinth. "Just' make sure they ge' everythin' pu' 'way proper," he ordered before he disappeared down the rock-lined tunnel, irascibly cognizant of Bashkar snickering an affirmative behind him.

--------------------
Last ride of the day!
Nightwish

The Red Raiders
Dendro the Raider
Posted: Dec 25 2011, 12:30 AM

Merchant Scourge

Under most circumstances, Dendro the Raider would not presume to bathe himself twice in one month. Under most circumstances, his companions would be fortunate if he deigned to allay the fetid reek which wreathed him more than once in any given year. It was not something that he considered altogether necessary, bathing, and Dendro generally sought to avoid it at all possible. The leader of the Red Raiders wore his stench as a banner, a testament to what he in all of his odorous, rakish glory had accomplished. Yet despite this proclivity towards hydrophobia, Dendro the Raider found himself, just after returning from his obliteration of Lord Magvel's trading outpost, sitting in the deep, circular tub, his auburn head tipped back and sea-colored eyes closed, and enjoying the warm which surrounded him.

Such a thing, such surrender to a physical weakness, smacked of an unacceptable failing, and Dendro was abruptly reminded of the truth of the part-Sheikah's words. Though he was loath to admit it, and likely never would, the leader of the thieving guild was no longer a young man. He had seen three decades pass through Hyrule, so that now when he exerted himself, he felt the repercussions more stringently than he ever had in all of his years. His corded muscles, contorted into painful knots, had seized after the conquest had concluded and the thrill of battle, the lust for blood, had abandoned him, and a deep, inscrutable discomfort had descended upon the bones in right shoulder. The scratches and cuts that he had sustained in the attack also burned, yet Dendro accepted them and pushed them out of his thoughts entirely.

Bloody Sheikah, why'd he have to go and say that? Don't he know that I'm still me? Nothing's changed about Dendro the Raider in ten years! At least I still have both of me eyes! Muttering to himself, the outlaw pried open his eyes and then slipped beneath the steaming water. The salts which it contained, courtesy of the seizure of the von Eldrick goods, sent barbs of stinging pain through his superficial injuries, yet they also aided in the loosening of his muscles, allowing Dendro to ignore the former sensation. Then, when he surfaced, he became aware of raucous shouting in the hallway, and a grin spread over his face.

Liberated from their duties, the brigands of the Red Raiders were fueling their own enthusiasm. He could hear them yelling at each other, kindling their anger, and feel the vibrations in the floor when they collided, jumping into one another in an expression of their virile excitement. Suddenly, everything seemed worth it, and Dendro found his perception shifting back into focus, belying every physical annoyance and reminding him of the allure of the life that he led, the motivation for the raffish, guild-leading man that he had become.

Bolstered, Dendro extracted himself from the round basin, allowing the water to drain through one of the pipes that crisscrossed the subterranean complex, operated by gravity, and gingerly dried himself. After wrapping the towel around himself, an action which only further defined the gruesome horizontal scar on his torso, he collected his soiled clothes and padded out of the room, whistling to himself. The Raiders hailed him boisterously as he strode, barefoot, towards his quarters.

Dendro, with the Red Raiders at his back, intended to forever alter Hyrule before death claimed him.

--------------------
Last ride of the day!
Nightwish

The Red Raiders
Dendro the Raider
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 11:23 AM

Merchant Scourge

"You look even worse than I do, if tha's possible."

Dendro the Raider, striding into the room of the young Hylian, made no attempt to withhold his disdain for the remark and scoffed disdainfully. Though the afternoon, when he had arisen, had found him hardly able to extract himself from his bed, due to the leaden stiffness of his muscles, Dendro hardly considered that reality worthy of such a condescending jest. Yet on the other hand, such a slanderous verbal stab indicated an improvement in Kade's health, so Dendro was more inclined to ignore it.

"See ye don' look like a ReDead no more," he replied snidely, approaching the Hylian's bed. "Shame, tha'. Me was startin' ta enjoy it."

Sitting upright in his bed, book in hand, Kade grinned. "Are you tellin' me tha' you actually like peace and quiet? Has Dendro lost his edge in his advanced age?"

The leader of the Red Raiders sneered in response. "Dendro's wise enough now tha' he can 'precia'e no' gettin' blowed up every day."

Kade's grey eyes rolled upwards with irritation, and when he looked back at Dendro his expression had soured. "Thanks," he answered brusquely, "Is tha' wha' ya came all the way 'ere to tell me?"

Dropping himself onto the side of the bed, and pointedly ignoring the barbs of discomfort in his aching muscles, Dendro chuckled. "'Ardly," he said haughtily, "Why bother me time wi' sumthin' like tha'?"

"I feel better already," muttered the Hylian, though Dendro overlooked the spiteful remark.

"Jus' wanted ta let you know tha' we're gonna be takin' Raz's paymen' ta 'im tonigh.' Though' ye'd like ta see yer father."

At once, Kade's expression darkened and his chestnut brows knitted together, etching deep furrows across his forehead. "Why should I give a Bublin's eye fer 'im?"

Again, Dendro laughed. "Didn' say ya 'ad ta, Kade," he teased, "Bu' I betcha like ta see tha' little Ra' again, wouldn' ye? 'Eared she was in the weddin', so she'll be 'round, I'm sure."

Color flared in the Hylian's cheeks, yet his defensive posture only increased the amusement of Dendro the Raider. "Tha's go' nothin' ta do wi' it, he snarled.

Heedless of the warning, Dendro grinned all the wider. "'Ave ye told Zinnia ye'? She migh' like ta know when the weddin'll be."

Shifting his weight back, Dendro nimbly dodged the unbalanced swing of the Hylian, who looked as though he would very much like to remove the older brigand's head. Dendro merely chortled, though, as he was very much pleased with himself. Satisfied that he had achieved his goal, he swiveled towards the door. "We be leavin' righ' afore dark," he said, and then walked through the door, whistling jauntily to himself.

--------------------
Last ride of the day!
Nightwish

The Red Raiders
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Get your own Chat Box! Go Large!

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2344 seconds | Archive
Skins are copyright MidnaScape.