Dreaded Underground, Open to all
Joel Bardiche
Posted: May 20 2011, 09:41 PM

Group: Human
Member No.: 69

The dust and sand swept across Joel's face as he was barely able to trudge through the Gerudo Desert on his own. He knew what he had to do, but was somewhat upset about the circumstances of this assignment. Exactly why am I headed to this place again? I mean, I know they discovered something rare, but they don't need the skills of a washed-up, partly paralyzed has-been. The things I do to live... sheesh. His mind flashed back to earlier that week.....

=======

Jiang was merely sitting in his destroyed shack trying to enjoy a meal someone had left for him. It was seemingly some kind of leftover ground beef and rice dish, left on a plate inside Jiang's quiet little abode in the middle of the slums. While the gesture was nice, he could have gone out on his own and gotten something. But who was he to deny a free meal, even if it was leftovers? As he clumsily tried to eat it with one hand, someone knocked on the opening to his shack. In stepped a man that he knew from the past, merely known to Jiang as Tai.

"Tai....what brings you to my humble abode in the middle of the day? Shouldn't you have an assignment to do, instead of bothering me?"

"Well, Jiang, how can I not worry about you? Despite you being a Human, your skills were well polished, and this life you chose after one major screw-up upsets me greatly. I just care for your well-being, so don't take it the wrong way."

"I appreciate the kindness, but I would worry more about yourself before you decide to worry about me. That should apply for all the Sheikah in Kakariko. But enough about my problems; surely you didn't come all the way down here for no reason?"

"You're sharp, Jiang. Take a look at this." Tai laid out a map with a few symbols drawn on it on the small table inside the room. "Take a look at this. One of our archaeological dig teams came across a few symbols buried in the desert that seem to point in the direction of the Arbiter's Grounds. We need someone to investigate what these symbols mean and what they relate to."

"Why not just send a team of professional archaeologists to do it? I'm no good with reading runes, so why are you sending me?"

"Well, one guy can get across inconspicuously. A team of diggers would definitely get noticed by monsters, and there would be problems in that regard should that happen. And since you don't do anything anyway, now might be as good a time as ever to go out in the world and get some fresh air. And take this rune-etched stone with you. It was sent to us from the team, and it might have something to do with the Arbiter's Grounds, so take it with you."

Tai tossed a small rune-etched stone at Jiang, who placed it in a bag on his person. Not long after Tai left, he grabbed some of his stuff and set along the way.

It had taken him days of aimless wanderings, but he finally found the place known as the Arbiter's Grounds. Creepy.....just like it was described by some of the people in that Bazaar in Gerudo City. I'll have my work cut out for me.

Someone had advised him not to do this, but for some strange reason, Joel felt that it was necessary to determine how far he would go in these ruins. He pulled out one of his knives and ran it along the stone wall, creating a sharp screeching noise that seemed to penetrate the dark interior of the grounds. Without warning, a few dull moans and shrieks could be heard resonating from the inside. Oh god, why did I do that? But I wonder where this stone is going to take me? Only one way to know. Swallowing his fear, he slowly ventured inside.....

(Anyone can come into this topic if they want to join him....or stalk him through the halls. Take your pick.)

--------------------
"I choose not to refer to myself as a Creature of Shadow....I am merely a Shadowed Creature." - Jiang Bardiche
Joel Bardiche
Posted: Jun 4 2011, 05:02 PM

The darkness began to swallow Joel as he continued down the stairs into the blackening abyss that was the Arbiter's Grounds. The place felt of death and decay all around him, but onward and downward he continued to trek through the passageway leading to hell. Just as he thought he couldn't see at all through the stairs, a light appeared.....lit torches, strangely enough. Had someone been in here before him? Or were they always lit like this? Either way, it did help, but more-so added to the creepiness of the setting.

Before Joel could even figure out what was going on, a hand touched his right shoulder, and he froze, with both of his eyes snapping wide open. Normally, he squints, but both of his eyes could clearly be seen, the left eye being a complete stark white as a result of his blindness. Slowly he turned to his right to see what it was, and it was all bones. Turning even further, a Stalfos could be seen with its blade poised like it was ready to strike. Out of instant reaction, Joel spun around and kicked the reanimated bones into a wall, scattering them into a million pieces. But it was clearly still alive, and was trying to slowly piece itself back together.

He wasn't going to give it the chance. Turning to run, Joel made his way past the quicksand pits in the opening that was provided and ran into the next room, feeling safe there. Panting, he sat down against a pillar and noticed four torches lit with an eerie blue light. And in the center of the room before the torches, a glyph sat on the ground, not exactly the glyph in the rune he had acquired, but quite similar to it. "I'm close.....but I don't think it's in this room. I need to go further.....why was I picked for this job?"

His question was answered as an unearthly scream rang out from behind the pillar. Without warning, a ReDead Knight had appeared suddenly from behind the pillar, and now his blade was poised to strike. Thankfully, it was too slow, as Joel managed to get out of the way in time as the blade hit the ground. Unfortunately, it wasn't alone. Multitudes of Staltroops rose from the floor, apparently under the command of the ReDead Knight, and began to slowly creep towards him. They were small enough for Joel to kick them and shatter their bones, but he was vastly outnumbered.

After shattering a few, he decided to hightail it further through the grounds, completely freaked out all the while. "You've gotta be kidding me!! Why does everything in here want my flesh?!"

--------------------
"I choose not to refer to myself as a Creature of Shadow....I am merely a Shadowed Creature." - Jiang Bardiche
Joel Bardiche
Posted: Jun 11 2011, 04:40 PM

After a few corners and turns, Joel finally evaded the undead. Relentless in their pursuit, the monsters had continued to stalk him throughout the halls of the ethereal tomb. Fortunately for him, they were completely simple-minded, and only went down corridors that they saw him move down. If he ducked into a side corridor and they didn't see him go that way, then they avoided it entirely and kept going. Joel snickered to himself and walked down the hallway to find a door at the end, much to his surprise.

On the other side was an open chamber that almost appeared as a miniature colosseum. From all the slash marks and the wear & tear of the room, it looked like some kind of battle had occurred here long ago. But what really caught Joel's eye was the symbol in the center of the room. It had the same glyph attached to his rune on it! He jumped down from the high ledge and rushed over to the symbol. Upon further inspection, there were multiple forms of the same symbol surrounding the big one, and one of them seemed to be missing.

The missing glyph appeared to have a hole in the spot where it would have been, and the rune Joel had seemed to fit inside. When that happened, the surrounding runes formed a staircase that seemed to descend. Joel wanted to leave and report his finding to the Sheikah, but there was a problem. The monsters had discovered his presence in the chamber, and moans could be heard as they aimlessly started banging on the door to the chamber. "Ok, this path better have a way out of here. No way I'll survive if I go out the main entrance."

So down he went into this entrance, to which he found an astonishing sight. It looked like some kind of archaic torture chamber, with tons of skeletons and skulls littered about the place. The smell of decay was everywhere, and Joel could barely breathe in the stench. Before he could even take another step, a slab fell down, sealing him inside the room. The skeletons immediately came to life and began to slowly stalk him into a corner. There really was no alternative to this situation. "You wanna play rough? Fine. You'll see what the Bardiche can do." He drew a dagger and began his counterattack.......

--------------------
Joel Bardiche
Posted: Jun 14 2011, 11:14 AM

Despite his best attempt at fighting, Joel wasn't being particularly violent. In fact, pulling out his dagger was only just to show that he wasn't afraid to fight; he wasn't even using it! Deciding it was too risky to use his good arm and have that destroyed somewhere down the line, he decided to utilize his leg power in combat, considered to be the better of the martial arts he knew. Flurries of kicks and dodges were aimed at the Stalfos, and while it didn't break their bones, it did push them back....back into some of the many archaic torture devices that littered the room. And they still worked.

One in particular seemed very peculiarly placed within the room. It was an Iron Maiden device, something that was rarely ever seen in the world anymore. That only went to show just how old this room was. It was open, and although it was too dark to tell if there were spikes jutting out from the inside, it was worth a shot to try and kick one into there.

So Joel did just that, and in went a Stalfos. But the peculiar thing about the device is that when he closed it, the sound of crunching bones didn't occur. Pushing through the rest of the horde, he discovered that the Stalfos had up and disappeared. No dust from being caught inside it, no parts sticking to the sides, nothing. Plus, there was now a hole where the stand would have been. "It can't be a passageway....can it? Worth a shot."

Stepping inside, Joel closed the doors.....and fell through a hole in the floor. The place he ended up was a long passageway with a dim glow near the end of the hall. Without even thinking, Joel started to slowly walk towards it. Was it freedom.....or something else?

--------------------
Joel Bardiche
Posted: Jun 20 2011, 09:54 PM

The end of the cavern greeted Joel with the strangest sight. There were what appeared to be two types of artifacts sitting on altars on the far side of the room from where he entered. The entire room was coated with dirt and dust, and appeared to be very worn down....but around the items, not a speck of wear and tear was to be seen. Before Joel could take another step, a voice rang out.

"You did well to make it this far. I don't know how you got in here, but I'll offer you a reward." The voice wasn't that of a living being...it seemed to be something that guarded the chamber, even in the afterlife. Suddenly, its body rose out of the ground!! It was probably the most grotesque thing Joel had ever seen in his life. It was a hollow set of indigo-colored knight's armor, wearing a tattered brown cape and holding a large sword and a shield....but it was missing a head! And the chest piece of the armor had a set of eyes and a mouth.....and they weren't just for show; they started moving once it began talking again!! "What are you waiting for? Go on."

"You're just letting me take something in here? There's gotta be some kind of catch."

"You're sharp. That is correct, your options are only limited to the two magical artifacts you see on the altars over there. And you're only allowed to choose one." The monster began to walk over to the altars and explained their uses. The first was a monocle that could empower the eye to see twice the distance it normally could. The second was an arm gauntlet that could improve the strength of anyone who wore it. These things interested Jiang, but there was one thing that ran through his mind as he looked at them. Maybe they could restore him to his former power.

"I have a question. Say someone such as myself has lost an arm or an eye due to certain circumstances...what would happen if one were to equip the item to those limp parts?"

The monster eyed him up and down. Sure enough, Joel was missing an eye and an arm. "It's simple. Only the good body part would be given the enhancing power. The limp part would have its former glory restored to them." Joel began to advance towards the treasures, but was stopped by the monster once more. "HOWEVER, you may only choose one. Sorry, but that's the rule."

Joel had a tough decision on his hands....would he let his arm regain its former power and be a useful fighter? Or would he let his eye regain his its former sight and be a useful spy? He decided to sit down a few feet away from the altars and give this a lot of thought. "Give me some time. I need to think about this for a bit."

The monster turned away from him and began to sink back into the ground. "That's fine. I'm not going anywhere."

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options

Get your own Chat Box! Go Large!

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1117 seconds | Archive
Skins are copyright MidnaScape.