Fort Daphnes
Lyshek
Posted: Jan 24 2011, 11:43 PM

Perfectly Paranoid

Group: Human
Member No.: 28

The ride, because of the group's earnest attempt to avoid traveling through certain problematic areas, had taken longer than Serra had expected. As usual, Elwise and Kyrsten had just finished arguing and were now in the process of mending wounds. The spellsword smiled to herself with a chuckle as she recalled how their arguments were usually over the most trivial topics and things. She wondered if she and Sorien had ever argued that much, but she couldn’t recall a time when they did. Perhaps it was due to the fact that she made it a point to forget such occasions; they weren’t worth holding onto after all.

Hauling a wagon of goods and three people, the old mule snorted as she plodded along the path to the fort. Worthless flicked her long ears at the gnats that buzzed around her head and shook her mane to try and drive them further away. The creature was becoming agitated with their incessant, ‘bugging’ behavior, but she continued on.

“So, Elwise,” Serra spoke up, grasping the moment of silence between the couple before it was broken. “That knight, your cousin…is he going to meet up with us later or did he have further business to attend to what with the funeral and all?” Her body rocked back and forth as the cart lurched forward towards its destination.

((OoC: it's short and crappy, but it's there. My brain was going pfft with this topic sad.gif At least you get to describe the fort the way you want. lol your idea anyway. XP))

--------------------
user posted image
The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
-- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Through our pursuit of Knowledge,
we gain Wisdom...
and through our trials,
we gain Strength (and Endurance).

--Jaquette S. Rainey
Elwise Rhys
Posted: Feb 8 2011, 09:41 PM

The Radiant Academic

Group: Human Mod
Member No.: 19

user posted image

Elwise shook his head at Serra's question. "Hayden is in the desert with the Gerudo on State business. That boy's a bit too busy for his own health some times." He looked at her with a puzzled glance. "Why do you ask?" Kyrsten giggled, and the male mage looked at his fiancée with yet another countenance of confusion. "She's crushing on him." Kyrsten teased Serra with a wink, but Elwise was appalled by such a suggestion. "Serra is a married woman, Kyrsten!" The merchant laughed at Elwise and shrugged, "It happens." The wizard frowned at Kyrsten as Worthless pulled the cart up the steep slope to the top of the fort.

user posted image

The group made idle chatter until they reached the gates of the fort where they met Sir Agravaine of all people. Apparently, he had come to greet Elwise and company when the watchmen described the party approaching the fort. Elwise lighted off the cart and hugged Agravaine's neck. "How are you, Agravaine?" He asked. "I saw you at the State Funeral, but we weren't able to speak."

"I'm well, but not as well as you seem to be with two lovely ladies in your tow." The dashing knight took Kyrsten's hand and then Serra's hand, kissing each with a low bow. Elwise frowned. If it wasn't Kyrsten, then it was Agravaine getting on his nerves....or was he just grumpy? No, people were just....just....just.....SO INSUFFERABLE!!!

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
Lyshek
Posted: Feb 8 2011, 10:46 PM

Perfectly Paranoid

Serra’s face flushed red at her friend’s comment. “Kyrsten!” she looked at the woman as she let out a shocked whisper. But then again maybe it was true, there was a such thing as courtly love was there not? So long as she didn’t DO anything, it wouldn’t matter; besides, men were the same way right? But, no, no…just as Elwise had said she was a married woman. She was the Marquise… The spellsword chastised herself for even thinking such things would be acceptable and thought instead of what Sorien might be doing at home. He was probably still working on that old novel of his…

As the wagon reached its destination and the trio was greeted by Sir Agravaine, Serra again blushed, but not as severely as the first time. Though she was a lady, and a noble one at that, she still hadn’t quite gotten used to such a greeting from the opposite sex. She remembered that at one point in time the most ‘courteous’ greeting she had ever received as a traveler was a drunken smile and a sack of rupees as some old coot tried to wrap his arms around her waist. Disgusted, she delivered a swift blow to his face with the pommel of Sol before retreating. Serra could still remember the shock on his face as he stared after her, his money spilt about his feet.

“Sir Agravaine, I don’t suppose you or your comrades have seen a large book lying about this thick,” she held her hands approximately six inches apart, “and with all sorts of runes and what have you on its cover?” She cut straight to the chase, but remained polite.

--------------------
user posted image
-- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

we gain Wisdom...
and through our trials,

--Jaquette S. Rainey
Elwise Rhys
Posted: Feb 8 2011, 11:05 PM

The Radiant Academic

Agravaine smiled at Serra when she asked him for the book. "Ah, I love a lady who knows what she wants." He looked from Serra to Kyrsten and winked at the merchant playfully just to annoy Elwise. He wondered when his cousin was going to forego all the formalities and just marry the sorceress he had been dating all these years. "My Lord Cousin Sir Hayden informed me of what manner of quest would bring you here and the location of the volume you seek. I have it stashed away in my office." Elwise gave his cousin a skeptical look, "Your office, Agravaine? Does Commander Hayden so readily leave the defense of all of Eastern Hyrule in your power?"

His cheeks stained a shade of rose, Agravaine frowned at the mage who had embarassed him in front of the ladies. Elwise had always had a knack for that, even when they were growing up on Lord Magvel's estate together. The wizard always showed up at the most inopportune times to draw away the young women's attention from the young squire the brunette had once been. Even if Serra was married and Kyrsten engaged, Agravaine did not enjoy being spurned in front of them. "I mispoke. The tome is in Commander Hayden's office. Would you all kindly join me inside for a drink and peradventure a meal to rejunvenate yourselves and give your faithful mule a rest?" A quick recovery was an act Agravaine had learned to play in sufffering seminary due to the ever-present befuddlement of the raven-haired mage. A few soldiers came and retrieved Worthless as the Knight led his guests inside the fort that he held temporary command over.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
Lyshek
Posted: Feb 19 2011, 07:52 PM

Perfectly Paranoid

“I wouldn’t mind a good mean and a bit of rest,” Serra answered, looking to Elwise. “After all, it has been a long, tiring journey has it not?” She suppressed the urge to throw in a comment about how such may improve the grumpy mage’s attitude as she followed Sir Agravaine into the dining hall.

The spellsword waited until everyone had gathered in the room before sitting down in one of the chairs at the left of the long table. Her eyes rose to the ceiling as she observed the forts architecture. It was quite secure, as any stronghold should be, but was a bit more comfortable and larger than most forts. The Marquise considered as a sole result of its location. Since it was next to a river, it would serve as an establishment that would be capable of drawing from the water and thus generate its own source of food. In turn, this would enable its tenants to become self-sufficient to an extent and allow them to thrive off the land without having to rely too much on outer sources for crucial supplies.

Serra turned her thoughts away from the topic and looked to Agravaine. “I hope we won’t be dining alone,” said with a smile, wondering if the other knights would be joining them. She highly doubted that the fortress often got visitors and so any guests may draw some attention from the soldiers.

((OoC: Sorry…not much to really go on so I fudged it))

--------------------
user posted image
-- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

we gain Wisdom...
and through our trials,

--Jaquette S. Rainey
Elwise Rhys
Posted: Feb 20 2011, 01:16 AM

The Radiant Academic

Agravaine smile at Serra's comment as the toll of bells resounded in the distance, and a few soldiers began to trickle into the large mess hall. Servants entered the hall from the doors at the sides of the room to place platters on the table. There were some of meat, but most held bread, cheese, yogurt, fruit, vegetables and butter. Agravaine, Elwise, Serra, and Kyrsten were soon joined by a few men at the table they were sitting. Hayden had eliminated seperate tables for officers and enlisted at Fort Daphnes many months ago.

Drawing on Plans put together by Sir Bryce, Fort Daphnes had become Hayden's pet project. Fort Harkinian to the northwest of Hyrule Castle City and Fort Daltus to the southwest had both been quickly refortified following Zant's defeat and the advent of tensions betweeen the races of Hyrule following the Plague. However, military fortifications far from home and out in the wilderness were equated with security to the nobility of Hyrule Castle City and were view by the farmers as a godsend against bandits and monsters. Fort Daphnes possessed a different connotation to the Castle City nobles because the installation was just on the outskirts of the city on the opposite riverbank. Prior Zant's usurpation, Hyrule had enjoyed a long period of peace, and under pressure from his noble family members, Sir Bryce had demilitarized Fort Daphnes. Many of the soldiers were reassigned to Fort Daltus and Fort Harkinian, leaving significantly less troops in the capital city than were necessary to defend against the Twilight incursion.

user posted image

As the tensions between the Hylians and the Goron and Zora nations escalated, Sir Bryce, and Hayden after him, moved to secure the means to restaff Fort Daphnes as a shield for the capital city. This had involved relocating troops from Fort Harkinian, but Hayden had elected not to removed troops from Fort Daltus since it lay on the borderlands with the Gerudo. Moving troops from Fort Harkinian near the Zora lands to near the capital was seen by the nobility as both reckless abandonment and military oppression. Hayden had not only been attacked by the lords in Hyrule Castle City of the restructuring of troops, but also his father had sent a rather nasty letter to him since Fort Harkinian was pivotal to the security of the Rhys family estate. At least the aristocrats could not accuse Hayden of nepotism.

As the tables were set, Agravaine, who was in charge while Hayden was away, and the three visitors made small talk. The burnette knight kept his eyes on Serra with a mischievious smile every time the two made eye contact, but soon Elwise's gaze met with Agravaine's as the knight turned to look away from the two women who sat across from him to his cousin who sat on his right hand. 'Back off' was the silent warning that resounded from the mage's eyes. Hayden had already confessed to Elwise his fascination with the wife of Lord Lyshek, and Elwise was not about to let the Rhys family reputation be tarnished by his cousins. Sensing the indignation brewing in his cousin, Agravaine decided to change the subject of the conversation to something of which Elwise would approve.

"So Cousin," Agravaine playfully and affectionately headbutted Elwise's shoulder. "When last we met, you had just submitted your dissertation, and I hear from Hayden that it raised quite the controversy before you were granted a degree. Why is that?" Elwise lightened up a bit with a laugh. "That's been more than three years ago, Agravaine." The knight shrugged, "It's been too long, Elwise."

Elwise nodded and consider how to start the tale, "Well my dissertation actually earned me a few enemies within the Arcane University because of the controversy it stirred up. I titled it On the Holy Triforce: The Sacred Power's Obscure Past, Neglected Present, and Glorious Future. Some professors felt 'Neglected Present' was an attack on them as I mentioned individuals, though not by name, who were high ranking mages that dismissed its relevance to contemporary Hyrulean society. These same individuals, along with a band of allies, accused my 'Glorious Future' proposal of harnessing the energies of the Triforce for the good of Hyrule to be nothing more than a modern reiteration of the goals of the King of Evil. Since there was much truth to my claim that the modern academic world was out of touch with the Triforce, the Archmage pulled a few strings and had his cousin Lord Athanasios send a representative of the church to sit on the council that I would have to defend my dissertation before. My claims were affirmed by the Church, and the Arcane University granted me the degree of Arcanorum Doctor. The Archon was informed of my research, and he moved to grant me a Sacrae Theologiae Doctor with full status and privileges upon reviewing it. However, the idea of me being awarded even one degree was controversial enough. His Holiness stated that the degrees granted by the Church would not be dictated by the University, but when I was awarded the degree, it was tagged as honoris causa. "

Agravaine smirked. "You always were one to stir up controversy, but from my understanding a doctor is a teacher by definition." The knight turned to Serra and Kyrsten, "So I believe the question is, have you two beautiful ladies learned anythign from the good doctor here?" Elwise frowned at his cousin, and would have gone into a 'I'll have you know...' speech if other people had not been present.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
Lyshek
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 01:18 AM

Perfectly Paranoid

As the knights trickled into the dining hall, filling up what spaces they could find, several cast the two female visitors a glance followed by a smirk or a wink. Kyrsten would more than likely flirt back while Elwise shot death glares to each man he caught staring lustily at his fiancée, but Serra tried to keep her eyes down and focused on the plate of food before her.

The Marquise picked daintily at the food, looking up only occasionally at her comrades and Sir Agravaine, but she didn’t feel too apt to talk. Perhaps the rest of the hot meal and a good bed would change that, but for now, she just listened to Elwise talk about his degrees and means of acquiring such. Reflecting on his words, Serra began to realize exactly how much she had not done. It seemed like the mage had at least accomplished something through his years, but what had she done? Nothing really. Serra had graduated at the top of her warrior’s academy and was an eager magic student under Elwise, but looking back, it didn’t mean much of anything. She tried to remind herself of the deeds she executed whilst traveling; how she helped the different people and settlements, but she wondered if they actually remembered her. In short, Serra felt like she had not impacted society or the world at all…or at least not in any long-term way.

The woman bit into her bread and turned to Agravaine as he addressed her and Kyrsten. She disregarded what she believed he was implying and gave a soft smile. “Elwise is good at what he does, I can testify to that. I studied under him at the University for a class regarding the basics of elemental manipulation.”

--------------------
user posted image
-- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

we gain Wisdom...
and through our trials,

--Jaquette S. Rainey
Elwise Rhys
Posted: Mar 21 2011, 10:45 AM

The Radiant Academic

Agravaine settled for the answer, and Elwise smiled with a bit of pride as Serra spoke. She was an excellent student and had great potential as a mage. Lunch continued without much incident, and afterwards the group made there way to Hayden's office which Agravaine had noticeably taken over telling by the mud stains on the desk from the knight propping his feet up. Elwise shook his head at his clownish cousin as he, Kyrsten, Serra, and Agravaine rambled about for the book. Kyrsten found the tome with several parchments left in the pages. Hayden had obviously been reading and practicing quite a bit to have scrawled out such a copious amount. Elwise frowned when she presented him with the book whose spine was obviously not in the condition in which it had been when first loaned out.

With their prize in hand, Agravaine led the group outside where Worthless awaited them, munching on some oats. The trio mounted mounted into the cart. First Serra who was aided by Agravaine, then Kyrsten who was aided by Elwise. Then the mage stepped up into cart with Agravaine giving his cousin's arm a jolting punch. The wizzard turned on the knight and had a noticeable blush of embarassment mixed with anger and surprise as he rubbed his now tingling bicep. Kyrsten giggled as she took the reigns. Agravaine bid them fairwell as the merchant sorceress snapped the reigns and Worthless took off at a snail's pace. You'd think we could find a mule that wasn't so...worthless. Elwise thought silently as he took his seat as the feeling slowly and painfully returned to his arm.

This post has been edited by Elwise Rhys on Mar 21 2011, 11:21 PM

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options

Get your own Chat Box! Go Large!

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1346 seconds | Archive
Skins are copyright MidnaScape.