The Daast Family House, Transferred Posts
Amoniel
Posted: Jul 6 2010, 11:30 AM

Notorious Nautical Nerd

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Odessa followed Raz into the training room and looked around for a bit. It was perfectly set up with straw dummies and bags of sand for combat training, but she gravitated toward the weapons rack. The raven-haired girl titled her head a bit to examine the miscellaneous weapons. She picked up a few of them, but replaced them back in their slot having felt unpleased. However, Odessa took up one of the sabres and held it up. It was a bit lighter than her own, but was also a tad shorter. The Duchess turned to Raz. "Your father had a very nice assortment of weapons."

Feeding off the compliment, Raz gave Odessa a confident grin. "It is well that someone appreciates a collector, for many assumed that he was merely stock-piling the weapons for an army that he would use to usurp the throne."

Chuckling to himself, Raz removed a broadsword from the rack and tested its weight. With his right hand on the bottom, he brought the huge weapon down diagonally and halved one of the straw dummies. "It was also the intention of Duke Leovir that his sons should become proficient with all manner of weaponry. As I have said, I favor my short swords. But I confess that I am curious to know which ones you favor, Lady Odessa."

Odessa brandished the sabre and pointed it to toward Raz's chest. "Is it not obvious? Some of my ancestors were sea-farers; so naturally, the weapon of choice was sabre or cutlass. Father taught me how to use the rapier, the longsword, and the sabre as well as a few others, but I prefer the feel of the more nautical weapons." Her purple eyes shown in the dim light as her pale lips formed a soft smile.

The grin of Lord Rhylzynar was enormous as he set the broadsword back on the rack, beside the many other weapons that Duke Leovir had collected. "If memory serves, I believe I have heard such a thing about the Lyshek family." Strafing slowly to Odessa's left, Raz shifted his weight back, brushing his left hand against the hilt of one of his swords. "Many members of the Daast family have served in the Royal Army," he said with a grin, "But those who didn't learned that two weapons can be just as effective as a spear and a sword." Confident that his soldiers could handle the coming situation, whatever it was, Raz slipped into a defensive crouch. "If you do not object, Lady Odessa, I daresay it is time to discover how well sea-farers can handle their weapons."

"I hope not to disappoint you." Odessa's smile faded as her face took on a more serious air. She frowned at herself for having worn a dress, which would make it a bit bothersome to fight, but hopefully she could make it through. Bringing her blade from her left shoulder, she cut diagonally at Raz's side as she stepped back with her right foot.

Though he had already spent several hours in the training room this day, Raz felt a surge of adrenaline at facing this new and admittedly attractive opponent. Ripping his swords from their sheaths, he angled the left up to turn aside Odessa's cut. Then he was driving forward, stepping with his right foot towards hers and slicing his right sword down towards her chest.

The Duchess brought her sword in a semicircle to drive Raz's blow away before ducking under him and attempting to jab him in the stomach with the pommel of her sword. She followed through by turning and rolling around to his exposed back where she delivered a diagonal strike to his left shoulder.

Raz was not at all perturbed when the Duchess drove his left weapon wide, even though the move left his midsection vulnerable. Sneering, he dropped his elbow down to intercept the hilt of her sword, for he had realized that she was attempting to maneuver behind him. Throwing all of his weight to his left foot, Raz pivoted and pulled his left sword down, deterring her strike to his shoulder. Gaining momentum, he planted his right foot and then stepped forward with the left, cutting at her neck with his left sword and dropping his right underneath it at her midsection.

Odessa grimaced at the Lord, ducking to avoid the assault aimed toward her neck and bringing the sabre up to protect her midsection. "Impressive..." she said flatly as she brought her weapon back horizontally at his lower right torso. With a flick of her wrist, her anelace fell into her left hand and she lunged at Raz.

"I should be after fourteen years of this," answered Raz with a grin, laughing to himself as he turned away her sabre by thrusting his right blade down diagonally. He grinned all the wider when she brought a second weapon into her left hand, for he already respected her speed. Driving his left sword towards his center, he parried her thrust and at the same time drove his right blade down, attempting to push it under her sabre.

The Lord was able to catch his sword under the saber, but Odessa locked with her opponent's blade and brought her face close to his. "I think there's something you should know," she said blankly.

The adopted son of Duke Leovir Daast continued to laugh when Odessa locked her weapons against his, rendering him temporarily immobile. "Is it that your little friends are intending to rescue that rat in my dungeon?" he asked with a wide smile. "Or is it that you and your younger brother have not been out of the city at all, but merely hiding after your parents were murdered?" Pulling her face towards his, Raz sneered. "It would be wise to reconsider your intentions, Duchess." Ripping his swords free, Raz backpedaled several steps and whistled for the nearest guard.

Odessa glared at Raz but didn't let her surprise spill into her expression. Instead, she brought her hand up, her fist clenched it anger. "Actually no..." she said emotionlessly. Her eyes darted toward the door. "I was going to say that I have quite the electrifying personality." With that, she let fly a surge of lightning from her anelace, aimed towards Raz's chest. "And now I see that you're just not capable of taking care of yourself, seeing as how you've called your guards on another noble, and a female at that." She scoffed. "Do I intimidate you that much?" Her purple eyes began to glow fiercely as she prepared to unleash another attack against Raz or his guard.

Though he had been trained to always expect something entirely unforeseen, Raz nevertheless barely managed to avoid the bolt of lightning. Sucking in his chest, he pulled his right foot behind his left to avoid it, but still felt it singe the outside of his tunic. Gaining more appreciation for his opponent, Raz started to respond smartly, when the Duchess insulted his ability. At once the young nobleman's smile descended into a scowl, and his expression was livid as he took a step forward. "It would be extremely unwise for you to presume anything, Duchess," he snarled, struggling to keep himself still. "I anticipated that someone would come to rescue that urchin, and I possessed half a mind to let her live; not that she has any value, anyway. But I can assure you now that they will not escape this house."

Odessa continued to glare at the man, electricity arcing over her hands. "And it would be unwise for you to harm anyone of my family," she hissed back shooting three smaller bolts of electricity toward him. One was aimed toward his torso, the other toward his head, and the last at his legs. "If you mess with them, you mess with me...and that's not wise at all." Her eyes shot over toward the door when she heard footsteps quickly approaching. Her eyes flashed a bright violet as the door slammed itself shut and locked.

Swearing under his breath, Raz rocked back on his heels to evade the three smaller bolts of electricity. He started to hold his ground, but then saw the slight opening between the bolt meant for his head and the one aimed at his torso. Tucking his swords to his side, Raz immediately sprung forward and flipped between the bolts. The lower one scraped across his stomach, but Raz paid it no notice. Seething, he brought his swords to bear and stalked to the side of Odessa. "It is equally foolish to assume that I am one who can be lightly cast aside," he warned, his hands tight on the hilts of the swords, "As it is also unwise to assume that I had summoned my soldiers to my aid." As he spoke, the footsteps continued past the locked training room towards the dungeon to intercept the intruders. And Rhylzynar, now between Odessa and the door, gave no indication that her display of unusual power intimidated him in the slightest.

"Hmm..." Odessa said calmly, not looking to Raz or letting her anger show externally, even though it boiled within like a raging volcano. "What exactly do you want with them anyway? One would think that you would have already killed Aeran by now, but seeing as how you've let her live, you have some trace of humanity left in you." Odessa turned slowly, holding her sabre casually by her side to face Raz. "So what do want, huh?" Her grasp tightened around the handle of the sword as her large eyes pierced his.

Raz was breathing rapidly, his hands digging into the winged hilts of his swords, in an attempt to curtail his mounting fury. If it were to wrench itself free from his control, he knew, then the young nobleman would only have another disaster to clean. Attempting to breathe, he met her purple eyes unflinchingly, though a scowl still marred his handsome features. "I would not presume to judge someone else's humanity," he warned, "Especially if you delight in stealing from others." Holding his blades steady, Raz did not waver, even when he heard a commotion from further down the basement hall.

--------------------
Fide Sed Cui Vide
Amoniel
Posted: Jul 6 2010, 09:53 PM

Notorious Nautical Nerd

The afternoon was growing old when the soldiers finally abandoned their sentry outside of Kalyani’s room. After the departure of Duke Drago, they had lingered long enough to ensure that Lord Raz was not bothered by his Gerudo relative. Then, when the other guest had arrived, the soldiers had been called away to the front gate, which left Kalyani feeling quite intruiged. Rising from the reclining couch and stretching like a cat, Kalyani set her book on the only table in the room and walked for the door.

Voices reached her trained ears as she strode down the hall of guest rooms in the mighty Daast house. Pausing to listen, Kalyani pressed herself against the side of the wall, smirking when she detected the voice of her impertinent cousin. Well isn’t this a surprise, thought the Gerudo. Dear Rhylzynar has actually managed to find some pleasant company. Pity he is far too arrogant to recognize the larger scheme of things.

Sneering, Kalyani pushed away from the decorated wall and started in the opposite direction, following a path along several corridors back towards the atrium of the house. It was her intention to take the other entrance into the basement of the house and discover what her cousin intended, but the number of guards stationed at the front gate caught her attention. Most of the soldiers from the house had been positioned there, as if they expected an imminent attack.

What are you planning, cousin? Kalyani’s face fell into a frown as she turned for the stairs, her scarlet curls bouncing across her shoulders. Silently she took the secluded entrance, which she had discovered by accident nearly a decade ago, and emerged in the dank basement. At once the Gerudo was put on her guard, for she detected a pattering of swift footsteps near the dungeon. Knowing they did not belong to Daast soldiers, Kalyani continued forward without fear, for she would not ignore an opportunity to cause Rhylzynar more grief.

“Rin!” Sloan whispered loudly trying to catch the girl’s attention. “Do ya see her yet?” The girl looked about frantically as they ran in search of the source of the sound. Hopefully their footsteps would not attract the attention of the guards, but there was always that possibility. Sloan took one of the daggers from her belt just in case. Sloan stood still as she neared the end of the passage. She could see what appeared to be a beaten, motionless, and bloody Aeran locked in a cell but there was a guard near her and it sounded like backup might be on its way. “Odessa must’ave been figured out or either we ran out of time…” she whispered with a sigh to Rin.

Odessa scoffed at Raz and glared as he spoke. “We do what we must out of necessity, but you do as you have out of revenge. At least we don’t torture or murder our prey like I’m sure you’re doing or are planning to do to Aeran!” Her frown deepened as the glow in her eyes became stronger. Soon, several small daggers that the Duke had collected had risen into the air and were pointed at Raz. “If so much as one hair on her head is out of place, you will pay dearly—blood for blood as they tend to justify it.” She warned, her voice hinting at a deep seated anger. Odessa raised her sabre to him. “You’ve messed with a member of my family and you were unlucky enough to have word get to me about it.” Inwardly, she wished that she could act as Aeran’s substitute; to be held captive instead of the girl and have the punishment dealt whatever it may be. Perhaps it was that motherly nature that Odessa harbored that was kicking in, but for the moment, her wrath demanded spilt blood.

Looking around the corner with Sloan, Rin could clearly see a small, huddled form in one of the cells further down the row. She knew at once that it was Aeran, and in response felt a lump rise into her throat. From Aeran’s position, Rin could tell that the girl was not peacefully dreaming, but beaten senseless. The smell of blood lingered on the air as well, and that incensed Rin all the more. Before she realized what she was doing, the young thief found herself sprinting down the dark hallway.

She was on the guard before he even realized what was occurring, vaulting onto his back and driving the hilts of her long knives against the back of his skull. Before the soldier had the opportunity to even call for help, he tumbled forward, unconscious, and Rin jumped away, grimacing against the pain in her injured leg. “Quickly!” Rin advised, throwing the soldier’s keys to Sloan. “I don’t know how long Odessa can stall that nobleman!”

Despite the daggers now pointed at him, Raz held his ground. Odette, as was plainly obvious, had become enraged by his actions towards that worthless street urchin; her purple eyes blazed and her sabre was aimed for his heart. For his part, Raz vociferously reminded himself that he must not lose control of his temper, even as Lady Odette continued to insult his means of obtaining information.

Tempted to acquiesce to the anger already boiling in the room, Raz reminded himself of his intent at this moment. He could trust in his guards to keep the girl in her cell, or foil a likely rescue attempt, but if they failed it was no great loss. What was more important, and far more valuable in the long run, was Lady Odette, even if her proposal of marriage had been only a distraction. But she had sparked Raz’s interest, and the young nobleman knew he could collect far more money from becoming Duke Lyshek than he and Bohden had lost to pickpockets.

“I cannot imagine who would want to become your enemy, Lady Odette,” taunted Raz, trying to force the Lady into making the first move, “For yours is certainly a formidable family, if they are all like that poor pitiful creature in my dungeon.”

--------------------
Fide Sed Cui Vide
Amoniel
Posted: Jul 7 2010, 02:51 PM

Notorious Nautical Nerd

Before Sloan had a chance to stop her, Rin had already bolted around the corner and disabled the guard at Aeran’s cell. The girl’s eyes darted to the motionless body on the floor in the cell, causing her heart to sink and a sickening feeling churned in her stomach. Sloan caught the keys and hastily opened the cell door. She knelt down beside Aeran and put a hand gently on her shoulder, “Aeran…Aeran, can ya hear me?” She could see the blood trickling from the other girl’s face, but thankfully Aeran was still breathing. Sloan turned to Rin, “We got ta hurry, I think backup’s on its way.” She gestured toward the door, where faint footsteps were quickly approaching as she tried to carefully lift Aeran up and carry her out.

Odessa continued to glare at Raz, wishing that her dirty looks alone would be enough cause him to drop dead at her feet. The daggers continued to point at the nobleman and surround him as they were suspended in the air. The raven-haired Duchess inhaled sharply as she clenched her jaws together and narrowed her eyes and face into the deepest scowl that she could manage. This ignorant prat had dared to take it a step and insult the only people that she had left. No words escaped her painted lips, but an onslaught of daggers flew at Lord Raz from every direction as Odessa lunged toward him, intent on skewering him upon her blade.

The sight of Aeran lying motionless and broken in the cell stole Rin’s breath, and she felt her stomach constrict with anger. Seeing Aeran in this state made the dark-haired thief yearn for vengeance; given half a chance, she would now gladly stick both of her long knives into the chest of the cruel, arrogant nobleman who had inflicted such injuries upon Aeran. But now was not the time to be rash, and Rin was quite aware of it. Forcing down her anger, she turned away from the cell and started to lead the way back to the hall, for she doubted that she would be able to help carry Aeran.

As she neared the door, Rin froze. Two pairs of boots were rapidly converging on the dungeon entrance, one from each direction. Dropping back into a crouch, Rin was preparing to spring at the first soldier when he suddenly came spinning into the room, propelled by a whip of sand. Rin glanced over just long enough to assure his unconsciousness, but when she dared to look out of the dungeon hall, she found the other guard in a similar condition in the middle of the floor.

“By all means, continue standing there until the soldiers surround you.”

Rotating back, Rin felt her eyes grow wide when she beheld the Gerudo, someone she had not at all expected to see in this noble house. However, time was short, and Rin did not know how long Odessa could detain the insidious noble. Nodding to the Gerudo, Rin turned left down the hallway, trying to lead Sloan and Aeran out of the house before more soldiers arrived.

On his guard throughout the confrontation, Lord Raz was not at all taken by surprise when the daggers flew at him. Though he had never before faced someone with this kind of power, he was no stranger to having numerous other weapons thrown at him. As a result, he immediately recognized the folly of trying to parry all of the daggers simultaneously and instead went forward to meet the leading daggers.

Angling the twin blades down, Raz swept his arms out wide and deflected the three daggers nearest him. Before his arms had even reached the outside daggers, the nobleman was already spinning left, rotating on his right foot and snapping his torso around. Pivoting, he gracefully deflected the knives in sequence as quickly as he could, feeling quite pleased with himself.

But as he started to reach for the last dagger, Raz heard a rush of feet and realized the Lady intentions. Left with no other course, he abandoned his defense against the knives and dropped the short swords into a cross-down parry to protect his own chest, just before Lady Odette reached him. At the same time, Raz felt the last knife bite into his right forearm, but he paid the injury not a bit of notice.

Leaning the entire weight of his muscular frame into his hands and against Odette’s blades, Raz sneered defiantly. “What a coincidence,” he said, “You are almost as hospitable and generous as I am.” His anger forgotten in the face of the possibilities before him, Raz shifted his weight back and then pushed forward with a rush, intending to force Odette’s blades aside and take to the offensive himself.

Odessa scowled as she locked blades with Raz, but a small smirk creased her face when she noticed his nicked arm. He was quick and had a good defense, but even the most agile had their limits and most of the time, it was in the quantity of things being done to him. “Really? Then maybe we’ve a bit more in common than I had originally anticipated,” she shot back at him. The young Duchess took a few steps back to regain her balance as the man threw her blade from his own and caused her to move backward a bit. With a huff, Odessa brought the sabre in front of her and took up a defensive stance if Raz dared to rush towards her. Her purple eyes began to glow again as electricity surged through her veins…she would have to time it just right…

The young thief’s brows furrowed as the guards were taken out, but she gave a thankful nod to the Gerudo sorceress who had assisted in their escape. “’bliged,’ she muttered as she moved past her followed Rin. Her steps were slow and steady because of the extra weight Aeran managed to provide, but also because she didn’t want to pick the pace up to much and cause extra pain toward her comrade.

--------------------
Fide Sed Cui Vide
Amoniel
Posted: Jul 9 2010, 10:00 AM

Notorious Nautical Nerd

Though Raz had seen the spark of purple in Lady Odette’s eyes, he pressed ahead with his attack. He was not ignorant of the warning, as he could easily guess what iridescent eyes foreshadowed, but decided in that moment that a quick offense would serve him better than just waiting for the magical blast. Stepping forward with his right foot, Raz cut diagonally upwards with his right sword and horizontally with his left. As he started his left blade, Raz simultaneously started twisting with the motion and shuffled his feet, in order to again work his way behind her.

“If I was a gambling man, Lady Odette,” said Raz with a sneer, “Then I would certainly wager that you and I have more in common than you realize.” Laughing to himself, Raz shifted his weight left, preparing to strafe around her further and attack again.

With her heart in her chest, Rin forced herself to halt as she glanced back over her shoulder. Burdened by the injured Aeran, Sloan could only make minimal progress; at least compared to the little time that Rin was sure they had remaining. Odessa had expertly delayed the nobleman of the house, but Rin doubted that she could detain him forever, and so knew that they needed to make a hasty exit.

But Rin was very much aware that they could not exit the way they had entered, given Aeran’s condition. So when she resumed her flight, she bypassed the door that held the heating unit for the house and instead continued down the long hallway. Trying to keep her pace in check, she cautiously ascended a flight of narrow, spiraling stairs, as it seemed to be the only connection to the outside world. To the brazen young thief, it seemed like the best solution to their dilemma, until she realized that the gates of the house were blocked by two dozen soldiers and their Captain.

--------------------
Fide Sed Cui Vide
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options

Get your own Chat Box! Go Large!

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2445 seconds | Archive
Skins are copyright MidnaScape.