Geography and TownsGeography
Going from north to south, and west to east, the geography of Arretia is arranged thus.Averne Mountains
The Averne Mountains form the western boundary to the lands of Arretia, as they are a nearly impassable barrier to travel -- not even airships can fly high enough to pass the peaks. Only the Dwarves who dwell beneath them might know what lies on the other side, but they never told the Empire and contact with them has since been sporadic.Northern Forest
The wild, ancient woodland that stretches north of the Dondasch Hills. At one time, the Empire ruled this area, but since its collapse the wilderness has overgrown the lost cities.Mt. Krystalheim
A tall peak of the Averne mountains, standing a little to the east of the main range and at the head of the Dondasch Hills. The city of Krystal is built on its southeastern face.Dondasch Hills
The Dondasch Hills now form the northern boundary of Arretia. They are a series of smaller, more weathered peaks thrusting east from the Averne Mountains until they disappear beyond the ken of modern mapmakers. Thorel is located here, in the forested slopes of the eastern extent of the explored territory.Krystalvault Forest
The enchanted forest around the slopes of Mt. Krystalheim and the north shore of the Aria River is known as the "Krystalvault". It is a beautiful place, with natural veins of magical crystal spring up into groves throughout the wood, but also dangerous as well as the ambient magic has empowered the beasts that live here.Ogre River
A river that flows down from the Dondasch Hills into the Aria River. Its banks are unforested, being instead full of goblins, trolls, and ogres. The only way to cross the river is in the town of Trollbridge, which as may be imagined does not welcome outsiders.Greatwood
Separated from Krystalvault by the Ogre River, the Greatwood lies on both sides of the Green River along its lower, eastward course.Aria River
A river flowing from the Averne Mountains to the Sunrise Sea.Pirate Coast
The northeastern shorelands of the Eastern Sea, running parallel to the Dondasch Hills. Dengeld Castle is located here at the mouth of the Green River.Sunrise Sea
The large body of salt water east of Arretia. It has never been explored much beyond the Isle of Reclude, so its true extent is unknown.Xsar Uplands
An elevated grassland between the Green River to the north and the Princess River to the south, heartland of the old empire. Arretium is located in the hills near the centre of this area.Royal Coast
The coastal area south of the Green River. Merryhaven is built here at the mouth of the Princess River.Isle of Reclude
A large, mountainous island some distance off the coast of Arretia, almost due east of Arretium and slightly north of Merryhaven. The only settlement is the port of Clavis, and it still remains partially unexplored.Mt. Claudius
The large, many-sided peak that dominates Reclude Isle. The rare metal mythril can be found in veins twined through its roots. Death can be found anywhere.Princess River
The southern boundary of the Xsar area, the Princess River flows from the Averne Mountains into the Sunrise Sea. There is a fortified bridge, held by Arretian troops, that spans it as part of the road from Arretium to Cariath. The name is said to be from an Arretian princess who long ago drowned in the river. The Emerald River joins it some distance east of the bridge, while Merryhaven lies on both sides of the river's mouth.Emerald Vale
A land of low hills and fertile valleys, south of the Princess River and on either side of the Emerald River. It is mostly inhabited, cultivated as the breadbasket of Arretia.Emerald River
A river winding down from the highlands south of Arretia. It flows northeasterly until it joins the Princess River. Cariath is located on its south bank, due south of Arretium.Haunted Forest
Located south of the Vale, up against the Averne range, the Haunted Forest surrounds the cursed ruins of Zotheca.Zotheca
Zotheca was once a city of the empire. However, its ruler went mad, and in his rebellion against the emperor summoned dark energies that corrupted the town. Only the brave and foolish venture there now.Morden Downs
A bleak, rising land south of the Vale and east of the Haunted Forest. It is said that south of the Downs is a paradisiacal kingdom, but nobody who has braved the monsters that roam there has ever come back. This is now the southern border of Arretia.Elven Bay
South of the Royal Coast and east of the Downs is a small bight into which the Grey River empties. There is an elven settlement, Sirmar, at the mouth of the river, hence the name. Beyond the Bay, the coast stretches to the east, out of knowledge.Towns
This is a list of important towns in Arretia.Royal City of Arretium
Once the capital of the Empire, Arretium is still a large, beautiful city. Filled with history and culture, its people see it as the chief of the cities of Arretia.
- Royal Palace: The residence of the King of Arretium.
- University of Arretia: An ancient institute of learning, famous for its scholars. The campus is supported by the royal treasury, so that its doors are open to all who can tests its entrance examinations, no matter their financial background.
- Cathedral of St. Basil: A stately basilica that serves as the seat of the Archbishop of Arretia.
- Great Library: Begun long ago by royal edict, the Great Library now houses all known lore and legend of Arretia.Cariath, City of Knights
Cariath is a small, tranquil town located on the south bank of the Sano River. Surrounded by fertile fields, it exports food to the rest of Arretia. Cariath is ruled by a noble family of knights, assisted by a council of village elders.
- Lord Knight's Manor: A fortified mansion on a hill south of the town, where the ruling family lives and governs.
- Warriors' Guild: A fortified barracks in the town's central square, opposite the church. Here the village's young men are trained to serve as the Knightdom's defenders.Port Town of Clavis
Clavis was built after the dissolution of the Empire. It is a small port, inhabited mainly by shop keepers, miners and retired adventurers. Its chief exports are the silver and mythril mined from Mt. Claudius.
- Duke's Keep: A small castle overlooking the bay.
- Mythril Mines: The mines beneath Mt. Claudius.Dengeld Castle
The self-proclaimed capital of the pirates that prowl the Sunrise Sea, Dengeld Castle was an abandoned keep atop the bluffs overlooking the Aria River. Taken over and renovated by an ambitious pirate chieftain, it has become a recognised stronghold for rogues of all kinds.Krystal, City of Magic
Without doubt the most beautiful settlement in Arretia, Krystal is known as the City of Magic. Its mosaic-paved streets are lit by glowing crystals inside lamps of frosted glass. Due to its elevation and northern latitude, snow falls in abundance here.
- Palace of Justice: The residence of the Marquis, ruler of Krystal, the Palace of Justice sits in the highest reaches of the town, and its gilded roofs are perpetually covered in snow. It possesses an austere beauty that invites one to gaze from afar, but not to draw too close, much like the mountain itself.
- Dorian Alchemists' Guild: Potions and tinctures of many kinds are compounded here.
- The Tower: Serving as academy, home, and meeting place, the Tower is the heart of magic in Arretia. Black and white mages from the other cities all come to study here with the great masters. There is also an extensive library maintained in the vaults beneath the Tower that rivals the Great Library of Arretium.
- The Academy of War: Here in the Academy of War the Mystic Knights of Krystal are trained in both hand-to-hand combat and strategy.
- The Crystal Mines: Source of the magical crystals from whence the city derives its name, and which are used to craft the town's wondrous goods.Free City of Merryhaven
Merryhaven is a large mercantile town located at the mouth of the Chrysophylax River. As the trading hub for Arretium, Cariath and Clavis, it is the wealthiest city in the former empire. Merryhaven is ruled by the Lord Mayor and a city council, both elected by the populace.
- Highgate Market: A large marketplace near the town's western gate, it is the commercial heart of Arretia. Goods ranging from the mundane foodstuffs of Cariath to the magical weapons of Krystal can be found here. The Highgate District around it displays the opulence gained from this trade.
- Lord Mayor's House: An imposing mansion in the Highgate District. It serves not only as the residence of the Lord Mayor but also as the seat of Merryhaven's government
- Harbour Market: A smaller marketplace near the docks, where goods from Clavis are sold. The atmosphere here is more congenial than that of Highgate, but the back alleys are also more dangerous.Sylvan Village of Thorel
The smallest town in Arretia, Thorel is little more than a village nestled in the Dondasch Hills. Mingling with the trees -- often with boles and branches forming part of a spacious dwelling -- it has no walls, but is defended by outposts scattered throughout the forests. For friendly visitors, there are many quaint shops show-casing the forest's bounty.
- Baron's Castle: The only major stone structure in Thorel, the castle is deceptively foreboding. Inside the walls is a great feasting hall, and many snug little rooms tucked away in its crannies.
- Mogtown: A section of treehouses and caves a little way to the northwest of the main village, Mogtown is the largest exclusive settlement of Moogles in Arretia. The Moogle Workshop, where many of Arretia's mechanical inventions are developed and manufactured, as well the Mognet Central Office, are located here.