| Welcome to Condemned in Purgatory. We hope you enjoy your visit.|
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:
Member No.: 51
Joined: 15-April 12
Thief, Spy, Experiment, and General Ne'er-Do-Well
FATHER ;; Glaucia Labolia - Demon, 185 years, Purus, soldier and blood magicianCLAN
MOTHER ;; Eliza Smith - Human, deceased, field reporter
HALF-BROTHER ;; Eli Labolia - Demon, 37 years, Purus, magician and spy
- Andras is unaffiliated with any particular clan; at this time, his only connection to the clans comes from being currently employed by a member of the Purus - his father.SPECIAL POWERS OR ABILITIES
Heightened Strength & Senses ;; He's no Superman, not in strength nor senses, but Andras' abilities exceed those of a human his size. While capable of lifting a respectable amount, he excels more with his senses. Over-all he can hear better, has a better sense of balance, and all that jazz. Specifically for him, his eye-sight, and even more so his night-sight, is extremely good. He won't be seeing anything from miles away, but he has vision that nears 20/10, and his night vision is comparable to that of any feline.
Accelerated Healing ;; An ability that has been invaluable to Andras. Though the acceleration isn't as large as he could hope for, his quickened healing allows him to deal quickly with the various bruises and cuts that he tends to accumulate in his business. Also, every day that a major wound puts him out of business is a day that he isn't working, and that's never a good thing. During a war the situation can change within a few hours; being back in business sooner, even by a few days, can make or break a person's business.
Omni-Linguism ;; A gift from the Hawk Corp's experiments, and the only ability granted from said experiments, Andras has the ability to learn any language he hears spoken or sees written. The downsides, however, are numerous enough that at times the ability seems more like a curse than a gift. For starters, he has to have a relatively large exposure to the language. Over-hearing a few phrases at the grocery store ain't gonna cut it. In addition, knowing the verbal language doesn't give him knowledge of the written language; the opposite is also true. He can speak Russian like he was born in Moscow, but he can't read or write in it. Likewise, he can read and comprehend Sanskrit, but he cannot speak it. Another downfall is that sometimes he crosses phrases. This is more common with related languages like Italian, Spanish, and French. It is also possible for him to slip into a different language entirely, if he's sufficiently distracted and is addressed in a specific language. This is more likely to happen with English, Latin, or the Demonic language, as those are the languages he learned before developing his omni-linguism.LANGUAGES SPOKEN
Having the ability of omni-linguism, Andras can speak any language provided he's had enough access to it. Currently he speaks the two race tongues, as well as English, Spanish, Italian, Latin, and many of the major tongues of the Human world.POSITION IN THE WAR
- From a general standpoint, whatever furthers the goal of science. More realistically, his position is whichever position that earns him money and keeps his problems to a minimum. The only true side he's against is that of peace - peace means no fighting, no espionage, and a whole lot of trouble for him.
- Joseph Gordon-LevittPHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
- Built as one would expect of a human-demon hybrid, Andras is tall, hitting 6'2 on a good day, and relatively well-built for having a lanky frame. Efforts have been taken to reduce the visible tells of his heredity, including tattoos to cover up the black 'birthmarks' on his forearms, but there remain obvious tells. Over-all he has the appearance of a demon, albeit a human-looking demon. His pale skin has the slightest gray tint to it, his hair is an extreme black - as are his irises. His eyes have the same shape and general coloration (round pupil and iris, white sclera) as a human's. Down his spine runs a line of nearly-invisible scales similar in feel and appearance to those found on a snake. They are extremely close to the color of his skin, though perhaps a touch darker, and are much easier to detect by feel rather than a casual glance. Aside from the birthmark/tattoos on his forearms he has other marks - some hidden over with more ink, others left alone - on his left shoulder, right hip, and both calves. All the marks, and the ink turning them into something resembling man-made designs, are black.PERSONALITY
As far as wardrobe goes, upper-class style is more or less all that Andras will wear. He's been spoiled somewhat these past five years, and his tastes have changed somewhat to reflect that. He likes to dress up when he's not on a job, and even when it's not a Ralph Lauren three-piece suit it's an Armani turtleneck. Despite his affection for expensive clothing, Andras gravitates towards dark, muted colors and sober fashions. He's not the type to wear a sweater-vest; in fact the most accurate way to dream up his wardrobe is to imagine the Parisian artist. Or, alternatively, a serious-minded Wallstreet businessman three times Andras' age. When he is a job he dresses the part of whatever character he's acting, whether it be the artiste, the grungy street-walker, or the preppy rich boy.
- Despite being a product of a less-than-loving father, eight years in a laboratory, and an uncle whose attachment only went as far as the money involved, Andras is unexpectedly well-adjusted. A large part of this might be his ability to assume roles, as well as the relatively suppressed emotions that his father insists remain suppressed. Realistically it isn't so much as him being well-adjusted but rather his perspective as being distant from the world that keeps him grounded and relatively healthy, from a mental standpoint.AMBITIONS
Between suppressed emotions and a certain lack of self-identity, Andras is surprisingly easily manipulated. Perhaps because he has played so many roles over such a short period of time, he tends to fall back on those roles when stressed. He plays the rich boy, the competent business man, the street-wise thug. None of these are truly who he is, but these personalities are the ones that he displays to the world. If exposed, if one is able to sufficiently confuse him or otherwise strip his defenses, the man that is left it a somewhat self-conscious young man who has commitment and trust issues.
- There is only one true ambition Andras has: the complete destruction and humiliation of the Hawk Corporation. He blames them largely for the negative things that have happened to him. After acting as a guinea pig for the company for several years, he holds quite the grudge. To a lesser extent he also holds this grudge for his father, but as long as he and the demon are working towards a common goal (which at this time is the redirection of demonic forces towards angels alone) he takes no active role towards his father's death or embarrassment.POSSESSIONS
- A somewhat impressive number of tools used for burglary, forging, and assassination call Andras' shelf home. He has safecracking tools, video and audio piggybacking technology, and even climbing gear. Some of it is on loan, some part of his personal collection. He also has limited access to weaponry; this includes his blade of choice, a twelve-inch straight-blade dagger, and a Hawk 5.
- Outside of his profession, his dearest possessions are a necklace of his mother's - a silver cross - and a leather jacket he's had for two years and has grown fond of.
It was a mutual desire that drove Andras' conception, though it was not the desire of lust. Nor was the desire that of love, pity, adoration, anger, or any paltry emotion. No, the sole catalyst for his birth was the desire to further the work of the Hawk Corporation. Glaucia Labolia, blood magician and staunch defender of the Purus perspective and clan, was as intrigued by the idea of breeding soldiers as Samantha Hill. Hill was a human scientist, working at the time for the Hawk Corp. Through chance she met Glaucia; between the two of them - scientist and magician - they hatched the plan that would determine the course of Andras' life.
To protect the demons, Glaucia desired true warriors, soldiers that would follow their king and be loyal to the identity of the Demonic people, but were able to think like blood-created soldiers could not. Samantha was a researcher, and wanted to study the abilities of demons to further her goal of helping create the super-soldiers the Hawk Corp had promised the rest of the world. Together, they decided that while giving a full-blooded demon to research was out of the question, creating a hybrid would allow them to further their goals without compromising any of their collective (and relatively small) morals. The end results, they hoped, would be a large collection of data involving the interaction between human and Demonic genetic material. If the traits that a hybrid inherited could be manipulated, it would allow for an individual that had many of the abilities of a full-blooded Demonic but was largely untraceable by traditional methods of sensing power.
Samantha was vehemently against using herself as the surrogate mother; Glaucia insisted on being the father. Searching for a mother proved to be the most difficult part of the whole thing; they needed good genes, as well as the one carrying those genes to be fine with giving her baby away. They found those good genes in Eliza "Smith" - a woman who fit the required genetic bill, need some extra cash, and was fine with never knowing her child - and one torrid night of passion later, the experiment was on its way.
The Demonic father did insist that the child live for the first eight years with minor interference; a holdover from Demonic tradition, he called it. Aside from annual and relatively low-key tests, Andras spent the first eight years of his life living in the human world with his 'uncle' - a human conman and mercenary named Samir Amri. Glaucia's reasons for wanting those eight years had nothing to do with giving the child a normal childhood though, and he certainly did nothing to keep the young boy innocent during that time. Samir was of no relation to the boy, but he was a skilled conman. He was sworn to secrecy and kept silent by large sums of money, and under his tutelage, Andras was already starting to show promise as a criminal by the time he was given over to the Hawk Corp for testing. Likewise, Glaucia had done his best during his brief, clandestine visits, to instill a sense of loyalty to the Demonic cause.
However, for Andras being handed over like so much an object certainly shattered any illusions he had about his life. His uncle, he found out, was a paid agent who had been tasked with raising him and stuffing as much knowledge about illicit operations as possible into his head before he turned eight. His father, whom he had met briefly many times over the years, was abruptly turned from a frightening and disproving figure into the only stable thing in the young hybrid's life. Throughout the battery of initial tests, and then the years of experimentation and more testing, the only constant was the white of the walls around him and the bi-weekly visits from his father. That isn't to say that he was mistreated this time, or that he was completely without a normal-ish childhood. He was educated - though mostly at the insistence of Glaucia - and allowed some concessions of adolescence.
There were experiments, though, and not all were painless. Many had no positive outcome; others had no outcome at all, except to alienate Andras from the scientists that poked and prodded him. The only successful experiments were those that were designed to impart the gift of omni-linguism, but even that had unforeseen side effects. Other experiments, the ones designed simply to measure his abilities with his demonic genes, were fairly harmless and had the advantage of getting him into a level of physical fitness on par with soldiers who had gone through equal amounts of training. All through these tests and experiments, the hybrid remained unaware of the identity of the company that was behind the lab.
By the time he was sixteen Andras had had more than enough of the Hawk Corp and its endless bouts of testing. With a little outside help (given by his father, unbeknownst to him) he escaped from the lab that he had spent that last eight years in. From there it was a short journey to the Spanish slums and the underworld that thrived there. As well as Samir had trained him, the next two years taught him what the demon hadn't. Fighting dirty, with whatever weapons available, was a requirement for daily life. He also learned new techniques for breaking and entering, how to forge a decent fake of the most common government papers, and how to con someone out of the shoes on their feet.
Glaucia gave him those two years, and then sunk his claws into Andras. Through bald manipulation, he coerced the young hybrid to work for him. The magician himself then took over, forcing a college education into his son's head. Demonic politics, human politics, even Angelic politics. Anything and everything about upcoming technology and current technology that would be remotely useful. Languages that Andras would have never been exposed to without conscious effort were presented and thus learned. After another year, he had the operative that he wanted.
The next five years for Andras were spent working up to Glaucia's satisfaction (and often only meeting his dissatisfaction) and then stealing, killing, and conning at the blood demon's orders. There was nothing that truly kept the hybrid under his father's thumb, aside from the lack of having anywhere else to run. As he got better at the profession chosen for him, his life became easier. Glaucia eventually relaxed his hold on his son, trusting him to operate without running off and joining the Vendo or selling Demonic secrets to humans or Angelics.
Now Andras exists much as he has for the past five years. He competes with his full-blooded half-brother in terms of their shared profession, he researches the company that ran experiments on him for eight years, and he meanders his way through the world as he knows it.
- Eric BanaBIOGRAPHY
- Warm and fuzzy should be the farthest thing from your mind when you consider Glaucia Labolia. He is a cunning, conniving, backstabbing individual. Every move he makes is heavily calculated; the man can hardly take a piss without thinking about the pros and cons. He is also ruthless when it comes to estimates. People are just figures to him, Demonics. Above all he desires the unity and strength of the Demonic race to be returned to the levels of the days before, when the Angelics fled from the human world to escape the might of the Demonics. To this end he works, even against the man who claims the crown. Not open treason of course - that's too blatant for the schemer. Instead he works through subterfuge and subtle murder. Not one to get his hands dirty, he has a small army of minions - less powerful Demonics, his two sons, a small handful of allies both in the Demonic and Human worlds - do the work for the plans he thinks up.
Glaucia is a powerful blood magician, raised a soldier with emphasis in command, interrogation, and infiltration. He rose quickly through the ranks by merit of successful endeavors, a ruthlessness he still maintains today, and a burning ambition. Now, as he is getting older, he turns his thoughts to his endgame. He is an advisor, a collector of information, spending equal amounts of time in the Demonic and Human worlds.
- KJ, or any variation therein. Kay, KayJay, Jay, whatever.PREFERRED CONTACT
- a PM, please. if you absolutely need me, ping me at zephyrimmortal00 though I do warn you that I might not check that for a day or so, regardless of always appearing online.METHOD OF DISCOVERY
- I was referred by Mac, who is registered as Arthur Bailey I think.NOTE
- if anything isn't okay in this, or if some of the concepts aren't exactly in compliance, I'm more than happy to edit to make it work.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)