zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Cast Macabre. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Advertising and Sponsorship, Would you mind?

How do you feel about hearing advertising on the podcast?
No, please keep the show the way it is [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes, but only as a sponsorship message at the start of the show [ 1 ]  [11.11%]
Yes, with an advert/sponsorship message before the story [ 1 ]  [11.11%]
Yes, with an advert/sponsorship message after the story [ 1 ]  [11.11%]
Yes, do what you like if it will help pay for great content and not be too disruptive [ 6 ]  [66.67%]
Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
BarryJNorthern
Posted on Feb 11 2011, 10:21 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I've been considering looking into sponsoring (possibly Audible) or advertising to help increase our payments to authours and attract even more great fiction, and also help us to develop some of our big ideas for the future of the cast. Our audience has grown enough to start making this worthwhile. I would, of course, ensure that it was done with class, as unobtrusively as possible, and with products and services that were of complete relevance to the listener.

What think you?
Scattercat
Posted on Feb 12 2011, 04:22 AM

Horror Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

I can't rightfully say that someone shouldn't take what sources of income they can find, but I would just like to note that while I cannot in principle object to ads, in practice I tend to find them irritating and would prefer not to see them. Basically, I would like for you to do whatever one must, but as an aesthetic note, ads are unappealing.
snap-hiss
Posted on Mar 4 2011, 03:19 PM

Fresh Meat

Member No.: 35

Ads generally do not bother me all that much as long as they are not overly cumbersome. I say do what you must. From a writer's perspective, anything that generates more cash flow simply means more revenue available for the people who are buying our stories.
BarryJNorthern
Posted on Mar 14 2011, 10:10 PM

Administrator

Everyone seems to be quite happy about ads, as long as they don't ruin the show, especially authours, who are likely to get higher payments once more money comes in. I don't know how much money that is likely to be though, so I can't promise a raise in payments just yet. Donations are just about keeping us ticking over right now, but I'm looking into lots of ways to bring in more revenue and get a really pro-market going.

The first step has been to put Ad Sense on the main site. I've never really thought it was worth it before, as the site itself doesn't get a great deal of traffic. Most of the audience comes in via iTunes. But it's an unobtrusive experiment for now. It can only help.

What do you think? Does it ruin the look of the site? Does it matter? I'd love to know.
Eriklover555
Posted on Nov 19 2011, 06:20 AM

Fresh Meat

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (BarryJNorthern @ Mar 14 2011, 10:10 PM)
What do you think? Does it ruin the look of the site? Does it matter? I'd love to know.

I'm not bothered by the ads. It rather assuages my guilt smile.gif I have no money, so donating isn't possible for me. I wouldn't even mind listening to ads tagged before or after the stories on the 'cast.
BarryJNorthern
Posted on Nov 19 2011, 10:23 PM

Administrator

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback. I gather you must be listenening to our backlog of shows. We've been out of action for a while but hope to come back soon. Hopefully in time for when you get to the latest episode. I don't know about ads yet, but I really want to find a way of making this a pro paying market, and the money for that has to come from somewhere...
bosley
Posted on Dec 2 2011, 02:48 PM

Fresh Meat

Member No.: 75

I listen to gigs of podcasts and I think if a podcast sticks the the ad in a consistent place it's an easier pill to swallow. I haven't watched TV in years, or nor do I listen to broadcast radio, because there are far too many ad minutes to content minutes. So tasteful placement, honest reminders, i.e., "These ads pay our writers ... these ads keep this content free," and 1 or 2 minutes of ads to every 60-90 minutes of content go a long way I think. Using a 'cliffhanger' to draw attention to an ad is a deal breaker for me.

So, in other words, I don't think ads are inherently bad, they just require some careful planning.

Some examples you might want to listen to:

Various Smodcasts: way too many ads at the beginning, but they can be skipped. They use product placement too, seems like far less these days.

Grammar Girl: Borderline oversautration, but she pulls it off for the most part.

Writing Excuses: A lot, but they manage to integrate into the content pretty well.

Savage Lovecast: Ads almost seem like an afterthought, easy to ignore.

Anyway, just my two cents. smile.gif

g
jaydee
Posted on Jan 22 2012, 04:44 PM

Fresh Meat

Member No.: 77

I love the stuff you've already put out, and I'd love to see more. If it takes advertising to make that happen I'm all for it.
« Next Oldest | Non-episode feedback & discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0387 seconds · Archive