Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Santa Catalina Island, October 16-23, 2013
IWS Crew
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 05:42 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Good Afternoon Eagle Watchers,

I have some serious news to report for this update. unsure.gif

sad.gif K-93, our Middle Ranch male, is currently off island and at the Serrano Animal and Bird Hospital in Lake Forest and is under the care of our veterinarian Dr. Scott Weldy. K-93 has suffered a broken leg and will undergo surgery to fix it. crying.gif

The event:

Thursday the 17th at 3:30pm, I received a call from the Catalina Island Conservancy’s Director of Conservation and Wildlife Management, Julie King. She informed me that she was notified by a Breezy Vickers, a local fisherman, that an eagle was hanging upside down from a large pine tree on the Thompson Reservoir. I headed over immediately.

When I arrived, I could see K-93 immediately. I headed over to that side of the reservoir and hiked to the tree he was hanging from. K-92 was awake and alert, that was good. He was off and on flapping his wings trying to free himself. helpsmilie.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Within minutes, Catalina Island Conservancy’s Julie King, Calvin Duncan and Tyler Dvorak arrived on the scene. Together we plotted how to free K-93 the fastest and safest. hairout.gif The most immediate plan was to free climb the tree and cut K-93 loose from whatever it was that he was attached to. Luckily, I had an extendable tree saw in the back of my truck just then! I headed over to our IWS storage containers to get a harness and some ropes for safety.

On the way back to K-93, Julie and I called Pete. PhoneCall.gif Pete, literally just left island to leave the country, I didn’t know if he had cell phone reception. Luckily, I was able to get ahold of him and I told him the situation and the plan. He approved.

When I returned, Tyler was able to see some gaps in between the branches that made the climb look a bit daunting. blink.gif I put on the harness, attached a small rope to the harness that I would use to secure myself to the tree for when I reached the branch that K-93 was hanging from. Tied the end of a rope to the harness to carry up with me to that I can pull up the tree saw once I reached the top.

I began to climb. K-93 didn’t look too far. I even felt like he was watching me. I was able to maneuver through some of the branches then I came to the first major gap. The next branch was too far for me (I am 5’3”) with only small minor branches between, the kinds that would bend to the weight of a squirrel.

I wouldn’t be able to keep going without having to do pull-ups. So, I climbed back down. brknhrt.gif

Climbing the tree was a huge safety risk. The next plan was to top the tree and hopefully control the fall. We called the Conservancy’s Evan Sutherland, Supervisor of Vehicle Maintenance, for further tree topping plans. He came out, and after examining the tree he began to climb, with a rope tied to his belt to lift the chainsaw up. Evan is at least 6ft and we didn’t know how far up he would be able to get. Xfingers.gif

Evan kept climbing and climbing…and climbing. He let us know he was on a safe branch and that he thought he could reach the branch that K-93 was on with the saw but to open the length of the tree saw as long as we could get it. Evan pulled the saw up and was able to reach the base of the branch that K-93 was attached to and cut the branch off!

As the branch fell with K-93, K-93 was able to break free of the branch itself and flew! Then K-93 crash landed in the reservoir. Julie, Calvin and myself rushed over with gloves, a net and a carrier that we had on hand.

K-93 looked dazed and was just sitting in the water. unsure.gif I jumped into the water and very lightly pushed K-93 toward Calvin and Calvin pulled K-93 to shore with the net. I put K-93 into the carrier that Julie had ready to go and off to the Middle Ranch Veterinary Field Clinic we went. By now it was 7pm. We didn’t know his physical condition, only that he was wet, it was late, and he needed to dry off before being released.

user posted image

Once there, Julie, Calvin and I were able to examine K-93. The leg he was dangling from was swollen and so was his foot. He did not have anything still tied to his leg. He stayed in the field clinic overnight.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Friday the 18th, I headed over to the clinic to check on K-93. His leg stilled looked pretty bad. Unfortunately, Pete was out of the country so I called the next boss up, Dave Garcelon, the IWS president. I let him know of our situation. He had to make a few phone calls before I could take K-93 anywhere. So in the meantime, I was making phone calls.

I found that our Island veterinarian was gone until Tuesday. Next, I looked up the information to Dr. Weldy, our mainland veterinarian. Dr. Weldy was not in the office either. I heard back from Dave that Dr. Kristian Krause from the Serrano Animal and Bird Hospital was in office and would admit K-93 for us for Dr. Weldy. Wheew. ok1.gif

Next, I had to find a vehicle. The Conservancy has a vehicle on the mainland that I may be able to use to transport K-93 to the vet. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get ahold of anyone on the phone to ask. At that time John Mack, the Catalina Island Conservancy’s new Chief Conservation & Education Officer heard what was going on and offered me his vehicle to use. Done. ok1.gif

Last, with the approval of Dave, I used one of the Middle Ranch Veterinary Field Clinic’s carriers to box K-93, it is a little smaller than ours and thus easier to carry on my own, and headed to the boat.

I arrived at the vet office at 6:15pm. They were waiting for us. Dr. Krause was very nice. huggie.gif She examined K-93 and did find that he had a broken leg. She gave him fluids and pain medication to help. During the examination, K-93 footed and hissed-both really good things. She had a nice big cage ready and put up a little heater for him. When I placed him inside, he stood and mantled, not very well because of this foot, but he tried and that is good. We left him alone after that.

user posted image

user posted image

After I left, Dr. Krause called Dave and gave him an update.

Saturday the 19th, Dave heard from Dr. Weldy. Dr. Weldy also confirmed the broken leg but sounded optimistic about fixing it with surgery. The only problem is, the foot was not only swollen but looked like it was cut off from blood circulation. This would pose a problem depending on how long the foot was without blood. I am not going to jump to conclusions but only hope for the best for K-93. Xfingers.gif Xfingers.gif Xfingers.gif

IWS Crew
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 05:51 PM

Advanced Member

Other news.

The West End has had a couple of visitors. blink.gif K-88 and K-87. This pair is usually seen on San Clemente Island. K-88, male, hatched in 2008 from the Twin Rocks nest. K-87, female, hatched in 2009 from the Two Harbors nest. Looks like they might be looking for a territory. K-87 was potentially first spotted on Friday the 18th but confirmed to be in the area on Sunday 20th by online viewers with video and stills. In one of the video captures posted in the online forum yesterday, I was able to see three eagles flying around the WE. So, stay tuned to see what happens! It would be great to have another pair on Catalina, but maybe they will settle somewhere else…

user posted image

user posted image

Here is a video captured by Cumbrian Wilson

WE Guests by Cumbrian Wilson

Speaking of new pairs, I haven’t seen K-51 and K-03 at all. I am keeping an eye out for them though and I hope to see them soon. Xfingers.gif

Monday the 21st

I spent the day tracking for radio signals. I had a strong moving signal on K-28 “Bella” from Empire Rock Quarry Overlook towards Two Harbors, so she is still around. thumbUp.gif No other signals though but great pictures.

user posted image

user posted image

Great Company!! huggie.gif

user posted image

Two Harbors

user posted image

Tuesday the 23rd

On Tuesday, I watched a lot of recorded camera footage again for prey delivery data. This time, I sat in a coffee shop and had a great view. Camera_Bug.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

IWS Crew
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 05:54 PM

Advanced Member

One more piece of news.

For all of our IWS Aviary Sponsors, we want to thank you very much! We couldn’t do half of what we do without you. As a thank you, we have decided to give a special recognition to those who have loyally sponsored Hydi or Pimu for 5 years! That is a long time! These sponsors will now have a 5 year badge added onto their plaque and for every 5 years of sponsorship thereafter a new badge will be added. yahoo.gif Right now, we have 6 donors that have reached that 5 year mark and hopefully more to come! Here is the current IWS Aviary Sponsor wall with badges mixed in! I look forward to recognizing more of you as you each hit your 5 year mark in time. Thank you again! applause.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

That’s all for this update. Please, keep K-93 in your thoughts. Hopefully, I will hear something soon.

Maria, Pete and the IWS Crew.

P.S.

I came across this mushroom growing out of a buffalo patty… blink.gif

user posted image

jgoodman
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 06:07 PM

Member No.: 3,987

Thank you, Maria. I am sending good, healing vibes out to K93. You and the crew are so amazing. Also, thanks for the update on Bella. I am so thrilled about how well she is doing, considering that she was the "runt!" HartSpin2.gif
pescychick
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 06:37 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,818

Thank you for the update Maria. I sure hope that K93 can heal well and quickly. Hoping he can be returned to his nest area as well. Xfingers.gif Xfingers.gif Thanks for the update on K28 as well. Good to know she is out and about. Thanks for all of the work you do.

Carole
debs
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 06:49 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,692

Maria Warmest thanks to you and all the others that helped with the daring rescue (you are brave) of K93 wub.gif ... bless his heart ... we will be storming the heavens praying he makes a full recovery wub.gif K87 and K88 are a beautiful pair...hopefully they find a territory of their own in time to nest in 2014. Hope K51 and K03 are seen soon. Thanks again to you for you do ... you da best huggie.gif
SoCal Lady
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 07:00 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 418

MARIA....Oh My Goodness....YOU and the Conservancy Staff and others worked a miracle getting to K93. huggie.gif He is a very lucky Eagle to have been spotted and reported by the fisherman and each and everyone's heroic work to save him. K93 is in very good medical hands now...so we will all stay positive and send him much Cruzer Eagle Mojo that he will be well and hopefully can return to "his Island" after much rehab time.. Xfingers.gif

This is very exciting news about K87 & K88. I posted 2 pictures on N.O. today, that we took of K88 with his brother K89..back when they were fledges ....K17 had just delivered them a nice fish...we were sitting close to shore in our sailboat enjoying an afternoon with K17 & K33 and their "eaglets". wub.gif
Eagle Duo
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 07:03 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 208

Wow, Maria, what a daunting rescue of poor K-93! blink.gif
Glad you were able to get him down & to a vet! thumbUp.gif
Hope all goes well with the surgery & his recovery! Xfingers.gif

Take care & stay safe! Thanks for all you do! applause.gif applause.gif
KareninSoCali
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 07:04 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,270

Darwin HartSpin2.gif HartSpin2.gif HartSpin2.gif We had the pleasure of his company on our trip to Catalina for our tour a few years ago smile.gif He is such a love!

I am so sorry to hear about K93 but I know that if anyone can help him it's Dr. Weldy! He's awesome! He did an amazing job with A64, Spirit, and A65, Skye, during their ordeal in 2008! Sending healing prayers up for K93! HartSpin2.gif

Thank you for including all the beautiful scenery pics, also! Such a beautiful beautiful place! You are so fortunate to have that as your "office" smile.gif

Thanks, also, for the update! Can't wait to hear how K93 is doing soon! IWS ROCKS!

raycyn
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 07:17 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,240

wow, what an amazing story. I hope K-93 will be okay and be able to return to the island at some point. thanks to all who worked so hard to help 93. Thank you also for reassurance that our little Bella is okay.

You are all the best! Thanks for taking such good care of our babies.

Cindy in Oregon HartSpin2.gif HartSpin2.gif HartSpin2.gif tinyeagle.gif
ojailala
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 07:47 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Glad you were there Maria, in place of Dr. Sharp... everything seemed to fall into place. Thankfully the fisherman was paying attention and saw K-93 hanging... what a horrible ordeal for that bird... Praying for a good outcome.
klemon
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 08:05 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,307

Thanks so much for your bravery and also the Conservancy for all of the help in the rescue of K93. Wonderful to know Bella is still around as well. Prayers of healing for K93 and prayers of thanks for the IWS crew and the conservancy as well as the doctor involved. Thanks for all ya'll do.

Kathy in Southern Illinois HartSpin2.gif tinyeagle.gif
Artsy Mom
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 08:06 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,026

What a rescue story Maria thumbUp.gif

Really too bad after everything you did to help him , K-93 ended up with a broken leg crying.gif

He doesn't know how lucky he was to have his guardian IWS angels looking out for him. Hope his healing goes well at Dr. Weldy's Xfingers.gif

Good to hear Bella is still doing well and staying nearby.

Hope K-87 and K-88 settle down in the area too.

Darwin has an interesting scar on his muzzle. I don't remember seeing it before. He is such a sweet dog HartSpin2.gif

Thanks for everything and the most beauteous scenic views too. Stay safe out there ok1.gif
Patti119
Posted: Oct 23 2013, 08:38 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,030

What an ordeal for K93! Prayers for recovery.

I am disappointed ... I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for new pics of the wall... waiting to see my name up there for 2012 ... and yet it's not there. sad.gif I sponsored Pimu and couldn't wait to see my name on the wall. I'm sure it sounds trivial but being way out here in PA I was very proud that my name would be on that wall. I'm just wondering if I misunderstood the guidelines. unsure.gif
pditewig
  Posted: Oct 24 2013, 01:58 AM

Member No.: 4,077

Wow, what an ordeal for the bird and a challenge for the rescuers. I hope K-93 will be okay. HartSpin2.gif
« Next Oldest | IWS Updates | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0761 seconds | Archive