InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Santa Cruz Island Update, April 24- May 1, 2012
IWS Crew
Posted: May 4 2012, 03:22 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Hello all,
This week we had some joyful moments, some sad times, and a lot in between. Here we go:

Tuesday
We arrived at the island early enough that we were able to survey a little bit. Maria scanned from the Sandstone Point area but didn’t see any eagles. From the back side of the Los Piños pair’s nest area. I saw the pair on and off, still hanging out near the nest, but it doesn’t look like they are re-nesting.

One of the Los Piños birds
user posted image

And the other
user posted image

Sunset
user posted image

Wednesday
Wednesday Maria and I went out in the boat, hoping to check on the Fry’s Pair before the rain hit. Maria hiked in to check on the nest, and they were still incubating.

An osprey on the top of the snag at Prisoner’s Harbor
user posted image

Clouds on the boat ride out to the nest
user posted image

The Fry’s nest
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

As she started to hike out, the weather rolled in, but don’t worry… we got back to dry land without getting soaked too much biggrin.gif

continued...
IWS Crew
Posted: May 4 2012, 03:27 PM

Advanced Member

Crazy clouds
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thursday
We were stuck inside all day due to overnight and morning rains. We got lots of office work done, and this picture of a fox laugh.gif

user posted image

Friday

I hiked out to check on the Hazards nest. A-00 was at the nest the whole time I watched, and boy was the chick big already! What a cutie!

A-00 on the nest
user posted image

And there’s the chick!
user posted image

A nice dudleya I passed on the hike
user posted image

Meanwhile Maria checked on the Los Piños nest (still no activity) and on the Carl nest. Much to her horror, she could only see one chick in the nest. Don’t worry though, it all turns out okay ok1.gif

user posted image

user posted image

continued...
IWS Crew
Posted: May 4 2012, 03:31 PM

Advanced Member

Saturday
Dr. Sharpe arrived on the island to band the Carl nest. We had originally planned to prep on Saturday and band on Sunday, but with one of the chicks missing we weren’t wasting any time.

I headed out first thing to see it was back in the nest. Maybe it had just been somewhere out of sight for hours? Nope. I watched all morning and there was no sign of a second chick, even when dad flew in with a big juicy fish.

When the rest of the crew arrived, we all hiked out to the nest and started searching for the chick. We weren’t sure what to expect, and when Dr. Sharpe found the chick healthy and uninjured a couple hundred feet uphill from the nest tree we all breathed a huge sigh of relief.
After that, we moved on to banding the chicks, which is always a joy. Every new chick that reaches fledging age feels like a major success. yahoo.gif

Measurements suggest that the larger chick, banded as A-78, is a female and our little nest-jumper-outer, now known as A-77, is a male.

Jim Climbing into the nest
user posted image

Jim collecting the first chick (A-78)
user posted image

A-78 in nest
user posted image

Dr. Sharpe with the little jumper
user posted image

What a tough little guy!
user posted image

user posted image

His sister poking her head out of the bag
user posted image

A-35 flying over
user posted image

Carl chicks after banding… A-77 and A-78
user posted image

continued...
IWS Crew
Posted: May 4 2012, 03:34 PM

Advanced Member

THREE VIDEOS OF THE BANDING

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Sunday
After all the excitement of Saturday, Sunday felt very sedate. I went to survey the coast around Willows Canyon, but didn’t see any eagles. Maria spent the day watching the Carl nest to make sure that the chicks were both still okay. They were both in the nest, and both ate hearty meals. Excellent!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

continued...
IWS Crew
Posted: May 4 2012, 03:38 PM

Advanced Member

Monday
This was a tough day for me. I was really excited to check on the Fry’s nest, since it as almost due to hatch, but when I got there it was empty.

It was a foggy day, so it took me a while to be sure. I kept looking through the gloom and hoping it was an illusion. Finally the fog cleared enough that there was no doubt, though, there were no eggs, no adults, just a nest bowl. sad.gif

To add insult to injury, 2 ravens landed in the nest and poked around for a while, throwing fluff around as they searched for treats. I just hope that the Fry’s pair have better luck next year. We did see both adults perched on the coast a little east of the nest, so at least they are both still all right.

Fry’s nest, empty crying.gif
user posted image

First the nest was visited by one raven
user posted image

Then two ravens
user posted image

It was a foggy day… this was my view of the beach when it cleared up a little
user posted image

Harbor Seals on the beach as I hiked down
user posted image

The Fry’s Pair at their favorite tree
user posted image

So that was our tour. Definitely bittersweet, but I think of the scare we had with A-77 at the Carl nest, and I know it could have been worse.

Until next time,
Helen and the IWS Crew
Eagle Duo
Posted: May 4 2012, 04:17 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 208

Thanks for a great update, Helen (and crew). Sorry to hear about the Fry's nest. I know that had to be hard to see...especially seeing the ravens there. Hope they have better luck next year.

But what great news at the Carl's nest with the little jumper! So glad it was found safe & uninjured! Hope it stays put until it's time to fledge! Xfingers.gif

Your pictures of the sunset and the clouds were some of the most beautiful I've ever seen! Must have been awesome to see them in person!

Thanks for all that all of you do. Stay safe!

Kate5555
Posted: May 4 2012, 05:01 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,796

Thanks for all you do and how much you care ... Glad you went the day early and got the good news on A-77 ... big sigh of relief.

So glad that success offset the empty Fry's nest ... but it still hurts.

I too loved the clouds and glad you got home safely without too much of a soaking. Beautiful pictures all around.

summer818
Posted: May 4 2012, 06:41 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 591

Thank you Helen, IWS Crew and Peter (Dr.Sharpe). Great update and the Carl's Nest Banding. I'm so happy to hear about mom A35, she was our Santa Barbara Cemetary bird. Always in the same eucalyptus tree. She disappeared obviously to find her mate and raise a family. Thank you all
Patti
Posted: May 4 2012, 09:02 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 84

Thank you again for the Update, Helen & crew. I'm also disappointed over the failure of the Fry's nest since I've been a fan of A24 & A46 since they started dating. Great to see that they still hang out together and hope for better luck next year for them.

It was a pleasure to meet the Nest Jumper. He's a very cute guy! There is always the good news.

I'm sorry you have to see these sad (nest) things and that your hopes are down a bit too. You all work so hard and what you do is much appreciated.
Naturegal
Posted: May 5 2012, 06:09 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15

Thanks Helen & Crew for another newsy update. So sad about the Fry's nest but Xfingers.gif for next year. Great news that A-77 was okay, what a scare that must have been. All your photos are awesome, thanks for taking us along on the banding event and island tour.
marshaz
Posted: May 5 2012, 12:47 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 640

IWS crew, thank you for the updates! Wonderful shots of EagleGuy.gif and the eaglets.
vickih
  Posted: May 5 2012, 05:54 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,153

Great update -- although I am sorry about A46 and A24, but there is next year. Glad to hear that A77 was found and in good sorts. They both look healthy so I'm really glad you found the little guy. Maybe he wanted to get away from sib wub.gif

Although a little bit sad, as you say could have been worse.

Vickih rolleyes.gif
Artsy Mom
Posted: May 10 2012, 05:49 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,026

Sad news about the Frys nest sad.gif but oh so happy to hear about A-77 Cartwheel-ani.gif applause.gif applause.gif Cartwheel-ani.gif
I wonder what his parents thought when he was suddenly back in the nest after the earth walkers showed up laugh.gif They must have been doing a good job of feeding him on the ground thumbUp.gif

Awesome clouds...they don't look real, more like a painting and the sunset is beauteous too.

Thanks for the awesome banding videos...feels like we were right there biggrin.gif
« Next Oldest | IWS Updates | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1097 seconds | Archive