InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

WE- #3, Small Size
jhm
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 06:44 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,032

Dr. Sharpe -- are you at all concerned about the small size of #3 at WE? In comparing other eaglets in the past and also the current Decorah triplets, I think #3 at WE is exceptionally small. The hatch date differences in the Decorah eagles is the same as WE but there is not such a profound difference in size although #3 at Decorah is slighly smaller.
Dee Dee
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 11:35 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 219

The hatch date at the Decorah nest between eaglet 2 and 3 is 3 days. It is 4 days at the WE nest. I know it's only one day different but it makes a diffence in size as well!
IWS Crew
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 08:12 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 68

Because of its late hatch and small amounts of food the first couple of days, I expect it to be about a week behind the others in development. As long as they keep bringing in enough food it should be fine. It is growing rapidly, but you can't tell if you use the other two chicks as reference. Look back at images/video posted on previous days and you will see how big it is getting.
jeannec
Posted: May 1 2012, 10:52 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 929

Dr. Sharpe/IWS - the aggression by WE #3's nest mates has ramped up considerably. Would there be any circumstance where IWS would intercede to save it? I do hope so.
Eagle Guy
Posted: May 1 2012, 09:56 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 66

Our permit allows us to go to the nest, with prior approval, to rescue a chick from things such as plastic bags or fishing line wrapped around it. We could probably go out if a chick went over the side of the nest or there was an obvious injury, such as a broken wing or leg. There is no place to put the chick if it were removed because I think most of the nests are having trouble getting enough food this year. I still haven't seen more than a couple mackerel at all of the nests, and that is their primary food source in most years.
summer818
Posted: May 4 2012, 10:47 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 591

The beatings have become brutal, one threw #3 on his/her back and went for their neck. Is there anything that can be done. If this keeps up I don't know how #3 will survive to fledging.
marshaz
Posted: May 4 2012, 01:44 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 640

Dr. Sharpe, I suspect the concerns over #3 eaglet at WE nest are going to mount. This morning's (Friday, May 4th) brutal attack are difficult to watch, and a serious injury is just waiting to happen. This is rather more a comment than a question, but as observers of the nests, please accept our comments of concern.
Eagle Guy
Posted: May 4 2012, 03:40 PM

Advanced Member

There are no other nests in which it could be placed and it is about 4 weeks too young to put in a hacktower. Even if there were another nest with a similarly aged chick I think all the nests are having trouble getting food this year because 1) there was such a difference in the size of the Rattlesnake chicks that has not been seen in the past, 2) there was a large difference in the size of the chicks at the Carl nest at banding (over 3.3 lbs), 3) the reliance on rockfish at the WE nest is not normal and likely is from fishing boats (the birds should be bringing in almost entirely surface-feeding fish if they are hunting), and 4) the loss of both of the Two Harbors chicks was likely a result of the female not being able to find food before dark and leaving the male in charge of the nest.
jhm
Posted: May 5 2012, 05:59 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,032

The fish being brought into WE appear to be quite small and red. But when I look up rockfish I find 3 different kinds - none of which are red and small. Do you know what kind these are at the nest? Do you know of any scientific reasons for the shortage of other fish in that area?
Eagle Guy
Posted: May 5 2012, 04:27 PM

Advanced Member

They could be juvenile or female sheephead too.

http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?Doc...305&inline=true

Changes in currents and water temperature could impact fish availability. They have had to move some marlin tournaments from Catalina down to San Diego in recent years because the marlin aren't coming this far north anymore.
TroyV
Posted: May 5 2012, 10:34 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,584

JHM

The water temps have been cold so far this year and it has affected fishing around the islands. I am sure this has affected the food supply for the eagles as well.

Also there are many rockfish species that are orange/red and they all start out small. I have worked on sportfishing boats and often times the small rockfish are thrown back but do not survive due to air bladder issues. I have personally witnessed a bald eagle grab one of these throwbacks.
« Next Oldest | What are your questions? | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1623 seconds | Archive