Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Catalina Update, Wednesday, March 7, 2012
eaglegal
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 12:54 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 344

Hello everybody,

We have been checking the Catalina nest regularly and I’ll start my report from the east.

The Seal Rocks nest still has their two eggs and both, K25 and K34, share the incubation duties.
user posted image

user posted image

I seem to be spending a big chunk of my day checking this nest; we hike up to the nest in just about 10 minutes but once I get to the blind and it is the female who is incubating, I end up waiting for hours for her to make a move and let me see into the bowl.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

It is during the switches that I finally get to confirm how many eggs are there. As of Monday they had two!
user posted image

user posted image

Here’s a video of the switch
user posted image

Cont…
eaglegal
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 12:55 PM

Advanced Member

After SR, I normally head over to the Pinnacle Rock nest. They still have one egg and this time I spotted the second adult perched at the very end of their territory
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

On Monday, I checked them again and she was still incubating one egg
user posted image

Here’s s short video
user posted image

Next is the Rattlesnake nest. They also continue to incubate their two eggs and it is nice to see the male involved in the whole process, I guess he has learned to be a better mate over the years!
user posted image

user posted image

K47
user posted image

user posted image

Cont…
eaglegal
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 12:57 PM

Advanced Member

I made a video too
user posted image

Then, I usually check the Twin Rocks nest. They have not laid eggs yet but are definitely present and active in their territory.
Empty nest…
user posted image

user posted image

On Thursday, I was searching for the pair when I spotted not one, or two but three adults chasing each other, and a little red-tailed hawk that was following the chase very closely.
user posted image

They never landed so I was unable to ID the birds but they were most likely the TR pair, K33 and K17, and K67.

Here’s the video of the chase
user posted image

You see, last week, Pete spotted K67 just a couple of miles away from the TR area so we are thinking she must be looking for a place to settle down and breed. Too bad for her K33 already has a mate, but can’t blame her for trying…
user posted image

Yesterday I went over to the area again and after a couple of hours I spotted K15, one of the two chicks from RS nest from 2011, fly right over me
user posted image

It wasn’t long before one of the TR adults came out from their hiding place and chased her off the area. Then, he/she flew over to the nest and perched on the ridge
user posted image

I circled the eagle and the nest
user posted image

user posted image

Cont…
eaglegal
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 12:58 PM

Advanced Member

I also made a short video of the silly ravens moving stuff around on the TR nest
user posted image

At the end of the day I head over to Middle Ranch to feed Hydi and Pimu and to check on the Middle Ranch nest
user posted image

Last Friday, I found K93 incubating their single egg
user posted image

When I check on them on Monday I unfortunately found an empty nest and I could see some broken shells on the edge of the nest
user posted image

After a while, the female arrived to the nest and went into an incubating position, telling us that she has not given up and will probably try to breed again this season.
user posted image

They still have about 2 months to lay eggs so we will keep checking.
user posted image

I have a video of this nest too
user posted image

The Two Harbors nest continues to incubate their two eggs and the West End nest incubates their three eggs. Check out these videos posted by some of our cam watchers
TH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFdyax39FDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5HbGWpYqoA

WE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwQ3Yx0Wjg

Until next week,
Steffani
Rosie
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 01:37 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 301

Thanks! I enjoyed those extra videos, especially, "...Look out below..."! Sometimes I wonder how parents-and eggs-survive! LOL
raycyn
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 01:47 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,240

Thanks as always for the fabulous up date -sad re Middle Ranch - hope they do have more eggs. Meanwhile we cam watchers are sure enjoying "our nests" and hoping for successful hatches.

Thank you IWS for being there for all of us! thumbUp.gif HartSpin2.gif HartSpin2.gif tinyeagle.gif

Cindy in Oregon
EarthMuffin
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 01:58 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,649

Steffani, thank you for the update! You have the patience of a saint, sitting there waiting for hours at the Seal Rocks nest to get a glimpse of the EggFace.gif .

Very nice to see K15 SoaringEagle.gif

crying.gif that Middle Ranch pair lost their egg. I hope they try again!

PR - their nest looks in pretty bad shape. Glad to see them incubating nonetheless!

SoCal Lady
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 02:14 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 418

wavey.gif STEFFANI--You have amazing patience when you are waiting hours to get your chance to do the egg check.

The videos are delightful, especially the Aerials at TwinRock area! Beautiful sight seeing K17, K33 and K67 soaring together.

K17 & K33 seem to be enjoying being empty nesters, since they have not had a chance to raise chicks for the past 2 years and that nest sure looks not to be prepared for nesting this year either. They may still surprise us.
Xfingers.gif
summer818
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 04:26 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 591

Thanks for the great update on most of our eagle couples. My heart breaks for the MR pair, they just can't get a break. I pray they try again, and have success in 2012.

Thank you for all the hard work and hiking you do for all of us, wishing you a great week!!!
canyonfran
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 06:33 PM

Member No.: 3,042

With the broken egg shells on Middle Ranch and also the trouble with broken egg shells on Pinnacle, could it be that the DDT problems are still not completely absolved???? It's weird that there are so many broken eggs in the nests.

Thank you for your efforts.
cdn-cdn
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 07:28 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 136

Aw, sad.gif sad news about the broken egg at MR. Xfingers.gif that A-37 will be able to lay another egg this season.
Patti
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 07:38 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 84

So sorry about the Middle Ranch egg loss. I have a soft spot for this nest and hope it works out for them later in the season.
vickih
  Posted: Mar 7 2012, 10:11 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,153

Steffani -- thank you for the great update. Looks like all is going well. Maybe K67 should check out A64 tinyeagle.gif tinyeagle.gif . I always thought they would do well together. I am so glad to see a picture of her. She has always been a favorite of mine. tongue.gif

Vickih
Artsy Mom
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 03:19 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,026

Thanks for all the videos and the Camera_Bug.gif Camera_Bug.gif of the nests Steffani thumbUp.gif So sad for the MR pair.

I too am wondering about the DDT issue. Will Peter try to collect any egg shell remnants to test them? I think we all have forgotten how uncertain life can be for the tinyeagle.gif tinyeagle.gif since there have been so many successes.

Xfingers.gif for all the nesting pairs on the Channel Islands this year.
pescychick
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 09:26 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,818

Thanks for the great update Steffani. Sorry, to hear about the Middle Ranch pair, crossing talons that they will try again and be successful. Looking forward to our future hatchlings.

Carole
« Next Oldest | IWS Updates | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0764 seconds | Archive