Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Forum Members' Biographies .... M To R, Bios/Photos of Discussion Group Members
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 06:54 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 63

Ma Chick

Hi! wavey.gif My name is Madison also known as Ma Chick.I am Mamimobamom's daughter.I am 10 years old and I am in fourth grade.My teachers name is Mr.Fehnel and I LOVE him! wub.gif He is the best teacher in the world! HartSpin2.gif My favorit saying is "Are you serious!" ohmy.gif .I like to go bikeriding, swimming, talking PhoneCall.gif Announce.gif PhoneCall.gif (mom told me to write that one!),coloring\art,and definetly shopping!I am from Pennsylvania.I have 1 dog and I hope to be getting a puppy, or a kittin.I also have a 5 year old brother, a 1 year old sister, And a mom and dad!I hope to be friends with all of you!Thanks! thumbUp.gif
Ma Chick(Madison)
--------------------
Ma Chick
Pennsylvania

user posted image
Click on photo to enlarge.
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 07:13 PM

Advanced Member

maggiemoo

Hi, I am Margie Fink (Maggiemoo) of Palo Alto, CA which is 30 miles south of San Francisco and where Stanford University is located.

We have lived here 46 years. My husband and I are from Canada. I have Scottish (Nova Scotia) background.

Thank you for the wonderful experience of knowing you all and reading your fun, interesting and photo posts each day.

--------------------
Maggie
Palo Alto, CA

user posted image
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 07:20 PM

Advanced Member

MaMiMoBa Mom

Hi I'm Nancy. I'm a mom of 3 plus 1. Maddie, Michael, and Morgan. The plus one is my 13 year old english springer spaniel named Barnaby! That's how I came up with my screen name! I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and now live over on the eastern side of Pennsylvania in the Lehigh Valley/Allentown area with my husband as well. Currently staying home with my little kids, but I was a first grade public school teacher for over 13 years.

Watching our lovely Cruz mature and take flight was an awesome experience-one I will treasure forever! I am thrilled to be a proud member of the A-49 Cruzers! Please join us and help us to make a difference in the future of all bald eagles on the Catalina Islands!

An IWS Crew Wannabee,
Nancy X
--------------------
Nancy
Lehigh Valley Pittsburgh PA.

user posted image
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 08:09 PM

Advanced Member

Manu244

Hi, my name is Scott Seaton, or Manu244 to my fellow nesters. I was born in Manhattan Beach, California, and except for a short time in Washington State, I spent all my early years growing up in Hermosa Beach, California. If it was anything to do with the ocean, I was all over it. We learned to swim, skin dive, body surf, and surf at a very young age. When I was around eight, I spent my hard earned car wash, window washing, and paper route money on my first boat. It was a sabot (a small 8' square nosed thing). Nobody else in my family (two brothers) was interested in boats, so it was kind of my private thing. I joined the King Harbor Yacht Club so I would have a place to keep and launch my little boat. I would ride my bike down to the harbor and crane my sabot in the water and off I would go. About two years later Warren Miller (the ski movie maker) moved in across the street from us and he had this spaceship on a trailer, behind his truck. It was a Pacific Catamaran or P-Cat. I was instantly hooked on multihulls! I crewed for Warren in races, and demonstrated his boat to prospective buyers. I eventually purchased my own P-Cat in 1965 with the proceeds from demo-ing about 25 boats that resulted in sales for Warren. The sail number of my very own P-Cat was....244. It has popped up several times in my life, so it's my lucky number. In the 60's I was a King Harbor rat! I would wash someone's boat for a chance of going sailing or to Catalina. When I was 17, a friend's dad said that if we all took scuba lessons, he would take us to Catalina on his boat. We all got certified and Big Al (my friend Mike's dad), was good to his word. He had a 57' Chris Craft Constellation, and he would rather play cards with his buddies than drive the boat, so I got to drive. During the summer of 1967 we were at the island almost every weekend, and I got to know that "Connie" very well.
After graduating from High School, I moved to Santa Cruz, eventually spending about 8 years living in Aptos, and building houses. I purchased a Sally Lightfoot Double Outrigger named Manu Kai (Bird of the SEA) and sailed down the coast to San Diego. The 80's and early 90's found me commercial fishing for Albacore Tuna and Swordfish, delivering boats, and helping my father with his produce export company. I purchased a 40' Jim Brown Searunner Trimaran that was also named Manu Kai, so the Manu part is now also told! I lived on this boat in Oceanside Harbor off and on for about 7 years. Big Manu Kai was a frequent visitor to Catalina, San Clemente, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and at one time or another the rest of the Channel Islands.I received my Coast Guard Masters License and was now running charters on different boats for a few different companies. During this time I met the love of my life and, after pleading and begging her (about 244 times I think!) she finally consented to marry me! We each have a daughter from previous relationships, and no grandkids as yet, but four grandcats!!!! I was working on tugboats when we first were together. I love being offshore, but it is definitely not good for married life. After a long delivery to Hawaii from Louisiana, I saw this job advertised, "Couple to run Marina in Southern California" We interviewed with the owners and they liked Joanie very much, so we got the job!!! That was 1996, and we have been running Peter's Landing Marina ever since. When I was running tugs, I was gone so much, now Joanie and I are together 24 hours a day. Sometimes she gets this strange look on her face and says "Baby don't you have a %#*#ing tugboat ride to go on???????". Joanie has been a birder for many, many years, long before I met her, and she has introduced me to a whole new world. It was one evening earlier in the year that Joanie told me to check out this live cam on this eagle nest on Santa Cruz Island. Well the rest is history. I enjoy being a part of this group and hope to meet more of the A-49ers on our second trip this spring. Scott

--------------------
SCOTT
Huntington Beach, (Surf City South) California

user posted image
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 08:30 PM

Advanced Member

margiew

Hi,
I am Marjorie Warnix, AKA-Margie. I'm originally from Kalamazoo, MI. Migrated to Southern Ca when I was 10 so I consider my self a California Native! Lived mostly in the Long Beach area which is South of Los Angeles. I lived 10 years in Paso Robles/San Miguel on the Central Coast. I know how beautiful that area is Catzong! Love Morro Bay, Shell Beach, Cambria etc. Also spent some early years in Barstow on the Mojave Desert.

I worked in management most of my working years or had my own business. My last business was making die cuts for scrapbooking, it's a fun industry. Now I work as a temporary office clerk for Long Beach Unified School District.

I have a son and a daughter both grown. My daughter has given me 2 wonderful grandson's who are in high school, Jayson 18, a senior, and Kevin 16, a junior. I'm very proud of them, they make my life joyful!

EmmaRose, You rock girl, way to go!

Margie

Edited to add: I'm an Eagleholic and also a Cat-holic. Since Morrisa disappeared about 6 weeks ago I just have one cat, Miss Chloe. Darryl-I'm also a huge country music fan. I am totally lost with KZLA changing it's format! angry.gif
--------------------
Margie
In Historic California Heights area of Long Beach, CA

user posted image
Taken at the aquarium April 12/08

user posted image
Click on photo to enlarge
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 08:36 PM

Advanced Member

Milena

Outreach Coordinator
Montrose Settlements Restoration Program

Hi all!

My name is Milena Viljoen, and I live and work in Long Beach, California. I work for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the majority of my job involves working on outreach and communications for the Montrose Settlements Restoration Program, both with our bald eagle work as well as with our work with other birds, wetlands, and educating local anglers about DDTs and PCBs off the coast.

I come from a biology background, with a bachelor’s from Duke University in North Carolina. My focus lately has been communications/public involvement in the environmental arena – before this job I also did a year-long Americorps internship with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service up in the San Francisco Bay area, providing public programs at a wildlife refuge and running their volunteer program.

Like Annibird, I’ve had the good fortune to go out to Santa Cruz Island when the birds were being transported out there to the hack towers. Like some of the Park Service and Ventura County Office of Education folks, I’ve also had the questionable fortune of going out there to help lug 60lb solar batteries up near the nest to help power the EagleCAM! (I’m kidding of course – I definitely can’t complain when my job gets me out to a beautiful island on a gorgeous day – sure beats a day in the office in front of a computer! _)

I’m very much looking forward to the new breeding season and watching the EagleCAM again this year. I just need to get in on the virtual toast this time….

Very happy holidays!
----------------------
Milena
Long Beach, California

user posted image
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 08:42 PM

Advanced Member

Misty 07

Hello to everyone.

My name is Edith Johnston, and I live in London, Ontario, Canada, and for the past 10 years I have lived with Timothy, (in the photo) with the beautiful amber eyes and who is my little friend and companion. The other photo is myself and a little great grand daughter. I am the elder of my family, born in July 1920, and this precious baby on my lap is Breanna, the last person to join our family, born in July 2006. I have three children, many grand children and great grand children.

Twenty-five years ago, I found a little family in the West Indies, that sparked my desire to have another family, with in my family. They have been very much part of my children’s, and my life, ever since. One of my children, has given me a grandchild from another Global village, and one of my grand daughters, has brought into the family, and for me, another great grandchild, someone from the Disability Community. Enough about my family members.

I am a factory worker, who became a National Rep, with first the Auto Workers Union ((UAW) and which for Canadians became the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW).

My parents met in England, both in uniform, during World War One. They came to Canada after the war. They taught me from a very young age that I should always look out for “those people less fortunate than myself”. The only way I was able to do that was to be a political activist and I went to the extreme. I have been involved with every piece of legislation that covers “those people less fortunate than myself”. I did this until 2004 when I decided to retire. That was the 6th time I retired but it has been quite final. I have also been politically involved in the environment and every type of wildlife. The last one being eagles.

Like most everyone else, I first got watching the Hornby Island eagles, which were so beautiful, but ending so sadly. Then on to Big and Lil’l. I found the IWS nest when there was talk about just how they would do this cam. Of course this A-49 Princess and parents captured my heart and attention.

My church is important to me and I am involved there too.

It is a privilege to be a part of this wonderful group of people from so many far away places.

--------------------
Edith
London Ontario
Canada

user posted image ........ user posted image
Timothy ...... ...... ...... ...... Edith holding Great grand-daugher Brianna
Click on photos to enlarge.
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 09:03 PM

Advanced Member

mizqueen

Hi to all - real name is Toni McQueen. The screen name comes from my couple of years as a student teacher with K-2 kids. My last name was unpronounceable to the little ones, and we settled for Mizqueen. I used it on my first bulletin board after trying my patience with initials,
etc. to find an available screen name.

I was born and grew up in the San Fernando Valley outside Los Angeles, and came up to Santa Barbara to go to the University in 1968. I never lived down south again, staying here summer, and then marrying in 1970. We also met on a blind date, which I had to be dragged to kicking and screaming - I only did it for my friend who introduced us, but look what happened.
We moved up to Humboldt County near the Oregon border for my husband to finish school, but returned to Santa Barbara for jobs after graduating and all our college friends moved away. By profession, I work in the office of a heavy construction company and have for 23 years - absolutely unrelated to my degrees in psychology and elementary education, but never boring and always something new.

Our other "jobs" are outdoor and water related. Fifteen years ago we got hooked on whitewater rafting and have been weekend guides during summer ever since. Indirectly that led us to Cruz, as my husband, then I, started helping guide ocean kayak trips on Santa Cruz island about 3 years ago. We're embarrassed to say how many years we spent in Santa Barbara without ever going to the Channel Islands. I so regret all that wasted time! Anyway, the kayak company told us about the many educational programs Channel Islands National Park has, and we started going to lectures about all aspects of the Islands - geology, history, birds, botany. Derek Louhis, the wonderful Naturalist Ranger, sent out an e-mail about the eagle nest and the nestcam, thus we got hooked.
Exposure to the eagles and the islands piqued my interest in birds in general, so I'm trying to observe and learn more. My Christmas present was a set of Canon stabilizing binoculars, and they are great!!

My interests otherwise are mostly outdoors - we run, love to camp and hike, water sports, cross-county skiing and gardening. We have no children, unless you count cats - which it sounds like many of us do! I've only spent a few months in my entire life without a cat and currently there are 3 who own us.

I'm looking forward to the Cruzers' spring trip, and meeting many of the forum folks. I lurk and read a lot, but don't post much as the detail called a job gets in the way. Happy New Year and best wishes to ALL.

---------------
Toni
Santa Barbara, CA

user posted image
This is my husband and I at Lake Louise, Alberta, on a lovely (?) September day. We had taken the luxury rail trip across B.C. and spent the night in Banff to awaken to snow on the roof. Not what a Californian thinks of as September weather.
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 09:14 PM

Advanced Member

mmm

Hi,

My screen name is mmm and my real name is Mimi Muraoka.

I live in Santa Barbara, CA and teach Registered Nursing at Santa Barbara City College.

My husband and I have owned many parrots in past years. We have a lot of native plants in our yard so we have many birds to watch year round.

I volunteer as a docent at the Santa Barbara Zoo.

I enjoyed watching the chick grow up last year and look forward to more activity this year.

-------------
Mimi
Santa Barbara, CA

No photograph being submitted at this time
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 09:20 PM

Advanced Member

MSRP Team

Montrose Settlements Restoration Program.

This bald eagle reintroduction study is part the Montrose Settlements Restoration Program (MSRP), a multi-agency program dedicated to restoring natural resources harmed by DDTs and PCBs released into the environment by Montrose Chemical Corporation and other industrial sources in Southern California in the mid 20th century.

MSRP is overseen by representatives from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service, California Department of Fish and Game, California State Lands Commission, and California Department of Parks and Recreation.

Read more about the Montrose Settlements Restoration Program
http://www.montroserestoration.gov/
For more information contact: Milena Viljoen at milena.viljoen@noaa.gov
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 09:31 PM

Advanced Member

Nancy

My name is Nancy and I live in Northern California, in the city of Pleasant Hill. I was born in San Francisco and have lived here all of my life. I have two grown children, 3 kitties and soon a baby granddaughter to be born in January. I enjoy the outdoors and open spaces that surround me. I have taken up bird watching the last couple of years and enjoy it very much. There is so much to see and never enough hours in the day.

I work in San Francisco as a Teaching Dental Assistant, teaching young men and women ergonomics, time management, and 4-handed dentistry. These are skills they will need upon graduation from dental school to become successful dentists. I have been in this field for well over 18 years and love the interaction and the ability to meet people from all over the country.

I had lurked on the forum for a long time before I actually became a member. I have never looked back. I came upon the live cam purely by accident and have enjoyed getting to know all of these wonderful, informed people that make up this group. They all offer so much of themselves with a common goal and a love for nature, especially eagles biggrin.gif

Never be afraid to try something new....you never know what it will do for you!

--------------------
Nancy
Pleasant Hill, Ca
San Francisco Bay Area

user posted image
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 09:36 PM

Advanced Member

Naturegal

My name is Carole and I live in Toronto with my husband Alan and our little yorkshire terrier named Jessica Joy who we call Jessie. We have four wonderful children who have blessed us with eight grandchildren ranging in age from 3 to 23. We are both former Montrealers but have lived in Toronto for 33 years.

Together, Alan and I enjoy boating on Georgian Bay and Lake Ontario. We also love golf and he puts up with me on the golf course as I am a newbie at the sport and he is a great golfer. We spend part of the winter down in Florida as we are retired now, and enjoy the wonderful weather down south.

I became involved in this forum in June 2006 and totally fell in love with our little Princess Cruz and her parents K10 and K26. This is the first forum I have ever participated in and it has been one of the most enlightening experiences in my life. The people I have come to know on this forum feel like old friends and they are the most sensitive and loving group of people with one common interest, the preservation and conservation of wildlife. I feel honoured to be a part of this group.

By the way, I am an eagleholic!

--------------------
Carole
Toronto, Ontario
Canada

user posted image
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 09:42 PM

Advanced Member

NinjaShirpa

New updated Bio and Photograph still to be received

This is NinjaShirpa's original Bio from the Who are you?/ Where From? Thread

OK, now I have to chime in here,

I'm Czech (Grandma was a Vavruska) and Scotish (Great Grandpa was Dougall McDougall Jr.), but I consider myself "American Mutt" if you know what I mean. Wink.gif I have lived in the Santa Barbara/Ventura area for the past 25 years. I'm a second generation Californian (born in Pasadena) and have two sons ages 10 and 4 who have enough energy to run all of the equipment on Santa Cruz Island. I've been sailing and motor boating out to the local islands for many years now and have truly enjoyed the wonderful wildlife this region has to offer. I've been working for the County Office of Ed. for 11 years and love the fact that every day is different here, the Eagle Cam project notwithstanding. I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona and have only been back once. Way too hot there! Now I live a mile from the beach and our house does not even have or need air conditioning. I have to say again that you all have been great and it has been a real pleasure being a part of this experience. Thanks!

David Luff
Ventura County Office of Education

--------------------
David Luff - Ventura County Office of Education
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 09:57 PM

Advanced Member

NPS-Kate

Greetings to all,

I am Kate Faulkner (NPS-Kate). I work for the National Park Service and have been at the Channel Islands since 1990. My position is Chief of Natural Resources Management and I work on all aspects of stewardship at the islands (ecological monitoring, environmental compliance, removal of non-native plants and animals, restoration of natives (like the island fox), and reestablishment of extirpated species (like the bald eagles).

I am also the NPS Trustee for the Montrose Settlements Restoration Program. Everybody associated with MSRP is very excited that we had two unexpected and successful bald eagle nests in 2006. Hopefully, the DDT has declined sufficiently at the islands to support many more nests at the islands (like in the old days). Time will tell.

It's a great job. I feel very good about many of the ecological changes underway at the park. Removal of non-native animals, establishment of marine protected areas, island foxes once again in the wild on three park islands, bald eagles nesting!, and reestablishment of native vegetation in extensive areas that were once browsed to nothing. However, there are lots of challenges and discouragements.

My husband, Bill, also works for the NPS. Bill works in the Interpretation Division (meaning that his job deals primarily with public outreach). He is part of the live underwater video program at Anacapa Island (which will become part of "Channel Islands Live" in the summer of 2007).

Prior to the Channel Islands, I worked at the national parklands of northwest Alaska (Kobuk Valley National Park, Noatak National Preserve, and Cape Krusenstern National Monument). Wonderful places with very different issues than the Channel Islands.

I'm originally from Michigan and am a graduate of the University of Michigan and the University of Minnesota.

That's it for now. Here's hoping for lots of reasons to toast bald eagle successes in 2007.

--------
Kate

user posted image
Click on photo to enlarge
Cumbrian
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 10:11 PM

Advanced Member

Ojai Hikers ... Name changed on June 1/08 to ... Topa Topa Hikers

Most of you know me as "Ojai Hiker", but I'm better know as Cathy Snyder. This is my family minus one grandson who wasn't born yet. This was taken at Lake Casitas, Ojai, Ca. in the summer of 2004. That is my daughter, DL, Son, Husband, Baby Tzvi, and Myself. I have lived in Ojai since 1973. Came here to hike and live in a small town. Joined the forum when I read about it on Memorial Day, 2006. I love the forum and the people more everyday.

--------------------
Cathy,
The Moon's Nest "O'hwai" Ojai, Ca.

user posted image
« Next Oldest | All About Us Who Watch | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0805 seconds | Archive