InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Catalina Update, Thursday, January 26, 2012
Eagle Guy
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 10:37 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 66

Hi,

Unfortunately, it has been another week of trying to resolve the streaming issues for all the cameras. I put in the new computers at Two Harbors on Friday, so everything is now streaming from one location. Now I have to wait for the new T1 line. I'm slowly getting there and right now they look pretty good if you stream just one at a time. If you are trying to watch more than one then you are likely to have streams that are more jumpy because of buffering and downloading issues. However, that will probably always be an issue unless you have extremely good download speeds.

While feeding the captive birds I've spent time at the reservoir checking on the Middle Ranch pair. I had only seen the male for the last couple of weeks, but a couple of days ago A-37 showed up again and the birds have been perching together regularly, so it looks like they should nest.

Middle Ranch pair
user posted image

I'm sure most people have seen the activity at the West End and Two Harbors nests, so they should be laying eggs within a month.

I went out the the West End yesterday to try to resolve the audio problem at night. I separated the power supplies for the two cameras, but the problem is still there. I also found that the connections from the charger to the batteries and between the batteries were not good and two of the batteries were trashed as well. I don't know where the power to run at night was coming from. I may have to make a quick trip this weekend to add another battery or two.

There were gray whales swimming past the point at the West End and I tried to get them on the long range camera, but it is hard to aim when you are a quarter mile from it and staring at water.

That's it for this week. Steffani should be back soon, so she'll start checking out the other pairs. Here is a photo of an osprey I saw recently at Haypress reservoir.

user posted image
JoJo
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 10:55 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,329

Thank you Dr Sharpe for the update, and good luck with your work. We appreciate it biggrin.gif
joywalk
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 11:05 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,808

YOU work so HARD but we ALL appreciate everything you do!!

The Osprey is Awesome.
river
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 11:14 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

applause.gif Thank You !!!
raycyn
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 11:25 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,240

Thanks for all your hard work and clearly long hours! We are so appreciating all you do - hope you get some rest sometime! Zz.gif

Cindy in Oregon
tinyeagle.gif
Patti
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 05:17 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 84

I thank you very much, too, for all this frustrating camera work you must deal with.

Glad you saw A37...that's good news!

SoCal Lady
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 07:36 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 418

QUOTE (Patti @ Jan 26 2012, 05:17 PM)
I thank you very much, too, for all this frustrating camera work you must deal with.

Glad you saw A37...that's good news!

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!!!
sunnyland7
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 06:45 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,679

Dr. Sharpe
Thank you for all you do to let us observe our wonderful eagles!
You are so passionate about them! I hope all the frustrating
problems get resolved. Xfingers.gif
Great that you saw A37 applause.gif and the osprey and the grey whale.
marshaz
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 07:09 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 640

THANKS DR. SHARPE! YOUR WORK IS APPRECIATED AND ACKNOLEDGED.

GREAT SHOT OF THE OSPREY!
« Next Oldest | IWS Updates | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0685 seconds | Archive