Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Santa Cruz Island Update, July 26 - August 2, 2011
IWS Crew
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 06:19 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Hi folks,

As many of you know Kim had her last tour of the season a couple of weeks ago so I was, so to speak, flying solo this tour. Of course this means there were less eyes in the field, but I still managed to get a few pictures for you and still do some of those things that help us bring the “magic” to you.

I think I'll start with one of those “behind the scenes” tasks even though it was done at the end of the tour. Awhile back our old boat trailer took on a new “attitude”. Hmm, shouldn't that straight red line run parallel with the top of the trailer?
user posted image

A little bit of creative welding patched things together and got it back in line so we could finish off the busy season and still use the boat while awaiting our new trailer.
user posted image

user posted image

So this tour I finally got around to moving the boat over onto the new trailer. Ain't it pretty? And bigger wheels/tires too so it will roll over the beach rocks better. (The boat looks more precarious than it really was.)
user posted image

It would have been easier to just launch the boat off the old trailer and then load it onto the new trailer, but there was a fair amount of work that would have needed to be done during the interim since we use an extend-a-hitch on the trailer and it needed to be switched over also. It can also be a little tricky to do beach launches solo. In the end it turned out just fine and doing it up at the Navy site meant I didn't have to worry about having all the tools at hand that I might need.
user posted image

Anyway, now that you've had a chance to see some of the dirty side of eagle work, let's get to the pretty pictures. Wink.gif

My first goal of the tour was to check on A-73, “Dreamer”, so I took a run out to the Sauces/Christy area. My first view of eagles was at Kinton Point. I initially thought one of them was A-73, while I was still considerably more distant, but it turned out to be the parents, A-40 and A-27.
user posted image

user posted image

Luckily, I didn't have to wait long until A-73 showed up and “chased off” one of the adults, but the other stayed and kept him company.
user posted image

While checking on the Sauces family I also caught sight of one of last year's juveniles and an adult, but both were too distant to photograph decently. Later GPS data showed that the juvenile was A-67. It's possible that A-48 was the adult, since she's been in the area a lot lately, but I didn't get data for her before leaving the island. Another possibility is that it was A-49, but I have no way to figure that out.

My other major goal of the tour was to check on A-76, the Cueva pair's (A-00 and A-16) youngster, who is the last of this year's crop to fledge. I was very fortunate to get a ride on one of the Park Service boats (Thank you, Ranger Randy!!!) to go see “Hutash” at Hazard's Canyon.

Looking up Hazard's.
user posted image

Okay, where is that bird?!? Ahh..., I see you, A-76. Looking good. smile.gif
user posted image

con't...
IWS Crew
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 06:26 PM

Advanced Member

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I even got to observe A-76 make a short flight.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This whole flying thing is still a little new, but it looks like A-76 is picking it up just fine and has been exploring the canyon more and more.

On the boat ride back we had a very nice view of A-76's mama, A-16.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

cont...
IWS Crew
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 06:31 PM

Advanced Member

There was also a sighting of the Fry's pair, A-46 and A-24, but I only managed a picture of her.
user posted image

I didn't see any of the Pelican Harbor clan, but GPS data shows that A-74 has been flying all over the place, mostly westward, even going as far as the Cueva area.

Talking about long exploratory flights for the youngsters. It turns out A-73 (Dreamer) did a flight almost all the way to the Navy site from Sauces! I think all that wind at Kinton has really helped him hone his skills. Impressive! (The red line represents a rough approximation of the flight distance. The island is just under 22 mi/35 km long.)
user posted image

While I did spend time looking for other eagles this tour, I didn't have much luck. I saw other fledglings, but just of red-tails. Their calls for food are surprisingly similar to the eagle fledglings. I guess “kids” screaming for food and attention is similar no matter the species.
user posted image

I saw some of the critters that some of you wish I wouldn't share. tongue.gif
Yellow-bellied Racer. Yep, they are FAST.
user posted image

user posted image

And, of course, the “aww-factor”. Aww..., so cute.
user posted image

That just about does it. The juveniles from last year were all over on Rosa, except for A-67 (as mentioned earlier, on west Santa Cruz), last I checked. Though I can't be sure where A-71 (last year's Sauces youngster) is since that GPS unit doesn't work. A-64 has been in his usual area near Profile Point on the north side of Santa Cruz and A-60 has been over at Rosa's west end.

Another interesting note, it would seem that A-57 and A-58, "the Smuggler's pair", are taking separate vacations. A-58 has been spending some time on West Anacapa and A-57 has been over on the south side of Rosa. Now what's that all about?

Oh well, always more questions than answers in the natural environment, but then a little mystery is usually a good thing.

Thanks for coming along and, as always...

Be well all,

Don tinyeagle.gif
amethyst
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 06:48 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,325

Thank you Don! Behind the scenes is always interesting, excellent cap of one fierce looking momma eagle!!!!
cindyzinaz
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 06:50 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,802

WOW, how about that Dreamer! Great to hear he's doing so well...and all the rest. Thanks for the great pics, as always...talk about an office with a view!

Thanks, Don, for your hard work, boat "wrangling" and all! ok1.gif
sfstucco
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 06:56 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,199

All of it -- SUCH great news. We're priveledged to be the recipients of it, and we're proud of all that hard work you do -- creative welding included!

Sounds of begging fledgling songbirds all pretty much sound alike, too. Well, they just sound like... begging fledglings!

Have a great weekend!
Patti
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 08:27 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 84

Thanks, Don...and you weld on top of all else!

Thank you, also, for telling us that Red-tailed youngsters sound a lot like the Bald eagle fledglings. I think that's what I hear around here at times....and make a run for it..(not much of a "run" at all) to try and see them.....thinking by some miracle an IWS Bald eagle juvie is overhead. wacko.gif

I have a question/s: are the juveniles finding elk and deer carcasses on Santa Rosa now? I thought they were "gone" in terms of all that hunting expedition contract? Is this the last year? Or have they reworked the contract or something?

Thanks for all the great critter photos and good news! Dreamer is something else!
LeicaEagle
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 08:55 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 993

Loved the shot of the RTH Eyas! The ones i see here in philly who fledged from the third floor window ledge at the franklin instittue dont seem to be as vocal when wanting food. It is interesting in an urban environment to watch them hone their skills and i had the fun of witnessing one of the three eyases get their first rodent by themself

With the small area they are expanding i sort of get an idea how you folks do the eagle stalking but we dont have peaks and rocks and dirt paths to hawk stalk so its only a beginner level compared to what you and the other iws folks do thumbUp.gif
IWS Crew
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 08:56 PM

Advanced Member

Patti (and all),

This is supposed to be the last year of the deer and elk on Rosa. I haven't checked on the hunt scheduling of late, but I know there isn't any kind of extension and they are supposed to all be gone by the end of the year. I suspect there is some hunting going on at present, and that is why the eagles are there, whether it is part of the regular hunt schedule or some sort of "eradication hunt", I don't know. I'll try to remember to ask soon.

A personal note, as a biologist I realize they (the deer and elk) don't belong out there, but as someone who has spent considerable time on Rosa, particularly as part of the fox recovery project many years ago, they are a magnificent sight bounding over the terrain. A part of me will certainly miss seeing them out there, but I sure won't regret the decline in the tick numbers that will come about with the end of the cervid tenure. Wink.gif

Don
summer818
Posted: Aug 5 2011, 07:32 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 591

Thank you Don! Loved the behind the scene shots, and my favoite anchorage...Fry's. I too have always enjoyed the deer and elk on Rosa, they are beautiful creatures, and I'm sad they're being hunted to extinction on the island. Have a wonderful week, and I enjoy all the critters you post. thumbUp.gif
sunnyland7
  Posted: Aug 6 2011, 11:46 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,679

Hi Don!
Great report!
YAH !A73/Dreamer
SOOOOOO good you could replace the trailer!!!!!
A40 and A27 such good parents!
Love the views! Pretty Island fox!
But 0000h No snakey! ROFL_sm.gif
Keep safe!
janmoser
Posted: Aug 6 2011, 01:16 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,669

Thank you for the great pictures and report Don!
Jan
canyonfran
Posted: Aug 7 2011, 11:36 AM

Member No.: 3,042

I, too, am saddened to think of the hunting the deer and elk to extinction on Santa Rosa....doesn't that amount to slaughter??? Just doesn't seem right even though they might not have originated from there. To me it seems that things progress in the world and even historical migrations have taken place where we, as humans, originated on other continents and have ended up populating the globe.

Was there ever an idea suggested to the conservancy to just keep the numbers of deer and elk in check without slaughtering all of them?
Topa Topa Hikers
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 02:11 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,611

Oh No, I thought they were done with removing sad.gif
the deer and elk from Santa Rosa island.

Once again man making a mess of the planet and the animals
suffering for it.

No offense to IWS, I know you had nothing to do with bringing
the deer and elk to the island and nothing to do with removing them.

cdn-cdn
Posted: Aug 9 2011, 04:59 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 136

Atta boy, Dreamer! Awesome long-distance flight (but stay on the island, please).

Thank you for all the eagle news, Don. That's a lovely island fox photo. Nice job on the close-up of A-16. Camera_Bug.gif thumbUp.gif
« Next Oldest | IWS Updates | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1010 seconds | Archive