InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Santa Cruz Island Update, April 6- 13 2010
IWS Crew
Posted: Apr 16 2010, 11:00 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

This week has been a pretty busy week, keeping up with checking on all our active nests, while still trying to figure out what our other eagle pairs are up to.

Iím not sure if I mentioned to all of you yet, about my departure from the eagle project here on Santa Cruz Island. This past week, was actually my last week working on the project. I will be sad to leave the island and the eagles, so of course will be checking in on all the weekly updates as well as watching the cameras. I am leaving to start a new project working with California spotted owls in Yosemite National Park. The data I collect will be used towards a masterís degree looking at the effects of fire on California spotted owls.

I was very excited to find out that Don had found A-00 and A-16ís nest! He happens to be my favorite eagle, so I was pleasantly surprised to be able to see his nest and get some photos of both eagles before leaving the islands.

Here are a few photos of A-00 flying around his territory:

user posted image

user posted image

A few photos of A-16 sitting on the egg. . . In one of the photos you can see the one egg in the nest.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I also took a short semi out of focus video, but it was the best that I could do with my camera.

user posted image

In addition, I surveyed the south side of Santa Cruz Island trying to figure out what the pair at Willows is up to. I headed to Alamos and Horqueta Canyons searching for eagles and/or nests. Unfortunately, I didnít see anything while out there, but here is a photo of this potential territory.

Alamos and Horqueta canyons

user posted image

Horqueta canyon

user posted image

Oystercatchers on beach

user posted image

Continued...
IWS Crew
Posted: Apr 16 2010, 11:09 PM

Advanced Member

When I went out to Willows to survey that coastline, I found one eagle perched at San Justiniano Canyon. I later saw two adults fly over me (couldnít read the tags) and head east. They must have been chasing that other eagle out of their territory, because I then saw an eagle flying inland and to the west. Both adults then continued flying around their territory together until they disappeared out of my sight. So itís good to know there are still adult eagles in the area, however, they are not nesting yet, and weíre not even positive at their IDs.

Photos of the unidentified pair at Willows:

user posted image

user posted image

Helen spent some time at Carl, where they are still incubating. The estimated lay date was March 28, so they have a while yet until hatching.

Photo of the A-17 at the Carl nest

user posted image

The Fraser Point pair was seen again, and again they were too far away for an ID, but we got the following pictures.

From far away.
user posted image
Zoomed a little.
user posted image
Zoomed all the way in.
user posted image

And of course no update would be complete without a check in at the Sauces nest, where A-27 and A-28 are diligently incubating.

Two good views of the eggs
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Until next shift,
Helen
harpo516
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 05:07 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 192

applause.gif applause.gif boy do those eagles keep you guys on the move but all those canyons unsure.gif be safe

great news on the nesting eagles and it's wonderful about the new nest find

Good luck Stephanie and all the best - hope to hear from you from time to time and even a photo or two about your work with the owls - sounds very, very interesting! Stop by chat any time and say HI! Yosemite is on our to do lists ..... soon!

thanks IWS Staff for another great update and thanks for taking us along .... wavey.gif
ojailala
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 06:40 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Stephanie, our loss is Yosemite's gain... how fun to work with the Spotted Owls... I will be at Yosemite at the end of May... you couldn't find a more beautiful spot to hang out.... thank you for all the work you have done for the Channel Island Bald Eagles.. applause.gif SoaringEagle.gif wavey.gif
Cumbrian
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 07:20 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 63

Wonderful Update IWS Crew! Thanks Helen for posting it.

You certainly cover a lot of terrain searching out the eagles/nests etc.

Thank you Stephanie for all your help providing the maps for the NCI thread. Good Luck and Best Wishes for your next project with the Spotted Owls.
EagleNut
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 08:14 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,407

Wonderful report with such great news and beautiful photos. Best of wishes Stephanie on your Masters project and thank you so much for your work with our beloved eagles. Please stay in touch.
iggle
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 08:16 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,469

Wonderful to find so many eagles on the northern islands now! You all do such hard work and it is much appreciated. Great update!

blink.gif I'm a little confused - since Helen posted this update, I was assuming it was Helen who is going to Yosemite, but everyone else is wishing Stephanie good luck. Can somebody clear this up for me please?

Whichever one of you it is, have a great time on your next adventure and thank you for all you have done to further the cause of our magnificent eagles here on the Channel Islands...
Patti
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 09:29 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 84

I was a little thrown, too, by Helen's signature, but think it's Stephanie who is leaving. We will miss you!

Thank you for another wonderful Update. It's just terrific; all this eagle activity on the island, truly a dream come true with each year getting better.

Thank you, IWS Team! HartSpin2.gif
SoCal Lady
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 07:02 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 418

STEPHANIE---I wish you all the best in your new endeavor at Yosemite. It will be another exicting adventure for you in very different, but equally beautiful surroundings. Thank you for all you have done for the Eagles of Channel Islands!

Hope you will stay in touch. wavey.gif

IWS Crew
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 07:44 PM

Advanced Member

Sorry, I didn't really divide the update well. The first half was written by Stephanie as a goodbye. The second half described what I (Helen) had gotten up to and included some pictures and video that I had gathered.
Sorry about the confusion.
Helen
harpo516
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 08:57 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 192

kind of figured that Helen smile.gif great job by two of our favorite IWS folks! - however it got posted! looking forward to next week (and the week after, and the one after that) thumbUp.gif Wink.gif
Misty
Posted: Apr 17 2010, 11:23 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,511

Stephanie, I don't post often, but read the IWS updates as they come in. I want to thank you for your being there for all of us, your unending dedication to the eagles and other wildlife! Your reports, pics, videos, everything you've done have meant so much to us all and I thank you for that!!

Best Wishes and good luck to you with your new job! Please keep in touch biggrin.gif
Artsy Mom
Posted: Apr 18 2010, 08:34 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,026

wavey.gif Stephanie...we will all miss your wonderful reports. Do A-00 and A-16 have more than one egg in their nest? It looked like it to me. Have a really wonderful time in Yosemite and thanks for all the work you did for IWS and the eagle.gif SoaringEagle.gif

I HartSpin2.gif owls too biggrin.gif
teacherlady
Posted: Apr 19 2010, 05:18 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 174

Stephanie, You will be very missed by very many people. I'm so glad we had all your energy and passion for the eagles, and now wish you much success as you go on in your carreer. May you soar high! SoaringEagle.gif Mantles from all of us.
« Next Oldest | IWS Updates | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.4200 seconds | Archive