InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

From a newbie, What to look for?
ValleySubstituteTeacher
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 08:17 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,244

I'm a 4th grade teacher in the San Fernando Valley, and discovered this site last year, 6 weeks after the eggs hatched. My class loved watching the fledglings take off.
Now we're in before the eggs are laid. We want to witness it if possible. Is there any behavior that they display that will indicate the process is upon us?
This is such an amazing experience. THANK YOU!!!
JoJo
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 04:36 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,329

ValleySubstituteTeacher and Class, Welcome to our Forum.

You have come at the right time, as two of our Females are about to lay at any time now. The nests are the West End Nest and the Two Harbors Nest.

My observances have been: When the time comes, they will stand over their nest bowls. They will become very puffy and go into what is called a zone (a stare). You may see signs of labor, such as pushing or bearing down. Stepping from one foot to another. If you should see feathers really puff up and the tail lift somewhat, that is usually the sign that the egg has been dropped. We have seen the process take minutes, and we have seen it take hours. It's always different.

They can keep you on pins and needles, but it is well worth the watch and education.

Just one persons opinion. biggrin.gif And again, Welcome
ValleySubstituteTeacher
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 05:59 AM

Thank you, JoJo! I see you're in No Hollywood. I live in sherman Oaks, and the class I have turned on to the nest is at Strathern Elementary in Sun Valley.
Now, thanks to these forums, I have names for the eagles we watch (WE) and this teaches them so much. I leave the computer on all day with the WE nest cam on the screen. Then we go about our business. Despite the occasional commercials, I leave the sound on so they can hear when the eagles come. I do hope we get to witness thelaying of an egg.
Cumbrian
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 06:02 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 63

wavey.gif there ...

Pop over to Page 12 of yesterday's Nest Observation's thread too ... there are two answers to the question you posted there ... and also links to videos that may help.

Happy tinyeagle.gif EggFace.gif hatch1.gif Chick3.gif watching.
ValleySubstituteTeacher
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 05:10 PM

I see the eagles digging deeper into the soft, grassy center of the nest. Their entire head seems to disappear into this hole. Will the eggs be laid deep into that hole so we won't be able to see them even at switchover?
JoJo
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 05:36 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,329

For the most part, we can usually count our eggs before they hatch laugh.gif
Patti
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 08:55 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 84

Jo.... laugh.gif Don't know why this struck me as hysterically funny. A collective mentality?
amethyst
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 07:10 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,325

...one more thought.... If you are able to use Mozilla Firefox you can get their free ad blocker plus and there will be no ads....
« Next Oldest | What are your questions? | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2169 seconds | Archive