Fight! RPG
Bartz Klauser
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 12:23 AM

Wandering Mimic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7

I know, I know, I've done this before, And that hasn't stopped being a thing! In fact I'll just go ahead and say that, should Crowstuck pick up steam and continue, I do not foresee any difficulties in running both games simultaneously.

So if it's not clear from the above I'm advertising my willingness to run another tabletop game. A radically different one, in fact. The game I speak of is Fight!, which provides the unique experience of emulating a fighting game. By this of course I mean Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Guilty Gear, etc. The whole system is not only about using commonly associated fighter tropes, but even the gameplay style of a 2D fighter in combat. It's a completely new system for me but I'm willing to give it a try.

This is yet another headcount thread. This time due to the nature of the game I am limiting player count to four. In the unlikely scenario that demand exceeds that limit I could try something interesting like run multiple campaigns NO, but something's possible.

Unlike the Homestuck game I would like to do this over some sort of IM client, since fights would have to be run in something like real time or we would never get anywhere. There would still be a proboard involved, but it would be solely for keeping track of information and character stuff. So keep that all in mind if/when you're signing up. Skype (no mics/cams) is still my favored medium but that can be negotiated.

A PDF of the full core rules is here. There's a lot of info to sorta digest, but when you get an idea of how things work character creation is surprisingly simple. Perhaps even a bit limited. Creating moves is probably the hardest part of the whole thing, but I can always try to help with that.

A big question I have for potential players is, what sort of setting would you prefer? Fighting games take place in a variety of forms, as the book itself highlights, and so anyone signing up for this puppy should give me some input on this. Here are a few I have considered:
    Modern - The most obvious one really. Basically you live in a world very similar to our own, just with ki and fights being a sort of thing that happens and such. I actually do have an ideal plot in mind for something like this, but converting it elsewhere really wouldn't be a problem.

Bad Future - Alternate title: Arcsys. Basically everything goes down in a sort of post-apocalypse that kinda blows for everyone. Guilty Gear and Blazblue are good examples of this in action. Something like this would probably be fairly dark, and fighters would undoubtedly be more weapon-oriented, though still with the usual supernormal aspects to their styles.

Fantasy - Ok ok, so there's always a bit of fantasy to these. But specifically these will take place in a more low-tech high-magic setting. Tolkien meets Sengoku Basara. I would have to customize some non-combat skills to fit this but that's not particularly challenging.

Paranormal - Like fantasy, some aspects of this will already exist in anything. This will probably be something sorta Darkstalkers, but slightly less camp. Slightly.

Other - Give me your ideas.

Bloody Roar - This is not a setting so much as a sub-setting, so if you want this attached to anything please say so. But there exists optional rules for emulating the style of Bloody Roar. For the uninitiated, BR is characterized by its characters' ability to transform into anthro-animals as part of a super mode deal. They increase in strength, gain access to certain additional moves, etc. It can really be applied to any setting without trouble.

--------------------
user posted image
Eridan Ampora
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 09:50 PM

Lodestar Youth

Member No.: 46

I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring for interest. I'm personally down for Bad Future or Paranormal. I can't check the file yet since mobile. I'm also down for Bloody Roar style of stuff with either, I guess?

--------------------
Bartz Klauser
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 11:32 PM

Wandering Mimic

Posting to reserve for Fang and Kochi.

--------------------
user posted image
Tohru Adachi
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 02:28 AM

Anklebiter

Member No.: 443

I think my favorite genres would be Bad Future or Fantasy, sort of tied with Paranormal.

Also a big fat giant 'yes' from me on the Bloody Roar subgenre, because I fucking loved those games.

--------------------
user posted image
Bartz Klauser
Posted: May 12 2012, 06:51 AM

Wandering Mimic

Ok it seems pretty clear that this is our number. Pretty decent too. I hate having to justify large parties and, all things considered, three is enough to keep it diverse. If someone wants that final slot you're more than welcome to it.

The standing consensus seems to be Bad Future with a hint of Bloody Roar. If there are no objections I will roll with that when building up the setting.

Sooner or later characters will have to be a thing. Unlike the massive crowd that was Crowstuck I don't think we'll have a problem jumping on some kind of chat client at the same time. To be fair it is in no way necessary to do character creation live like this, but I would like to get everyone on the same page to some degree. Also communication will be important with keeping diversity, which I cannot stress enough. Like I guess you could make a party of giefs if you want, but a more varied group will have less trouble dealing with bad match-ups.

I'm not sure when we'll actually do this. It can be whenever really. We probably won't even finish creation together though, since building moves can be kind of a pain at first. At the very least I hope to get everything in the right direction.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1239 seconds | Archive