Early New Orleans was originally centered around what was then called the Place d' Armes (Spanish: Plaza de Armas). After the Battle of New Orleans, in 1814, the Place d' Armes was renamed Jackson Square after general Andrew Jackson. In the center of the park stands an equestrian statue of Jackson erected in 1856, one of three in America by sculptor Clark Mills.
read more here
Images from the Square;