zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Join us to new adventures in 1720!

Click on the 1720 icon to get to our new jcink page!

Welcome

It's 1719 in the West Indies. The Caribbean Sea is boiling in the war and there is no quiet place ashore or at sea. Besides the political turmoil which leads the colonies at each other's throats, pirates and privateers are on the prowl. Come spend some time with us BEFORE THE MAST, on any ship you like!

This page is an archive of the 1719 year. For the year 1720, if you want to join us and further our story, please click here.

This website looks best in Chrome and Internet Explorer. Firefox is not recommended because it distorts some images.

Navigate
The Codex
The Plot
Newbie Guide
Application
FAQs
Face Claim
Ship Rosters
Wanted ads

Civilians census list
Characters masterlist
Board Calendar
Need to know vs Nice to know

Tumblr

December 1719

TIME STAMP

Fleet Admiral

Spotlight of 1719
Sara Lee Mitchell

played by Mascha

Sara display photo Saradisplay.jpg

The highly professional pirate doctor, with us since May 2011, has been the most active character of 1719, with about 350 posts. She is a complex and well researched character, written by an active, faithful and enthusiastic writer, full of initiative and imagination.

Taking into account that the writer’s mother tongue is not English, even more deserved congratulations!

Awards

1st
2012 Sim Cup

Originality award small, Given by RPG Conference

BTM cup 2013 photo BTM2013cup_zpsde56d809.jpg

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software
Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5]  ( Go to first unread post ) Locked New Topic New Poll

Somebody To Care, att. Leif, Akai, Benji, anyone else
Honour Miller
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 09:32 AM

Unregistered

She smiled gently, correcting her dusty skrits och made herself comfortable on the seat opposite Andrea. He was right with his thoughts about her. It was in her nature to worry about others. It was a trait that brought both joy when she succeeded in making their lives better and sorrow seeing them falling apart, but she wouldn't let that happen to the boy if it so meant that she had to stay up night after night guarding him and cooling his skin with damp cloth.

She giggled, although the story was sad. There were no use dwelling at the boy's misfortune. "This Baptiste fella' couldn't have been very happy about that. From what I've learnt about the men of the sea since I first started my work for Belle is that your image is everything. Seeing it scattered, they tell me, is the same as running from a fight, dishonorable." She looked down at her hands that were nervously playing with the trimming of her bodice. She couldn't help it, her nervousness was caused by the feeling of helplessness she felt towards the boy and talking to someone new. "Not that I agree about the matter. For me honor and image is not won by a hard scale and men-like behavior. For me it is fighting for what you believe in and for survival." She stopped for a minute, knowing that her words might not be the best to utter, keeping in mind the scenario. "But what do I know. A silly wench who've never been outside Basse Terre" She smiled gently.

It was a problem, her lack of courage when meeting someone new, especially now that she worked at a tavern. But, it would pass. Many of the others had told her so and brought up stories from their first month at the Elixir, hiding in corners and what else .

"Oh, I wouldn't call me sweet like honey quiet yet!" She teased "I would drink to that, there has been for to many deaths already. And for the record boy... Now turning to Benjamin. "Honey's a nickname, my birth name's Honour, not that I got a lot of it." Again facing Angel she rolled her eyes and smiles. "I guess that company soothes the soul when reminiscing about ones dark past. What I can say at the moment is that my life has been filled with people I wouldn't want to meet again. But, enough about that! See my belief about the sea spitting you out is a simple one.. You must have tasted horrible when it happened. I know keeping clean on the sea is hard, but next time make some effort for her will ya'!" She winked wickedly "Otherwise we might sit her in five years and I'll have to clean you up and push you in myself."
^^^
Andrea Costa
Posted: Apr 15 2012, 04:21 PM

Sailing Master on the "Rising Sun"
Group Icon

Group: Pirate Admin
Member No.: 8

Andrea paid more attention to Honey than to Benji – he would have had some choice words for him if he noticed him slipping again into the ways of a street rat. But she had a point… and he sensed, behind her words, a deep sadness and a kind of wisdom less encountered in taverns. This intrigued him the most.

”Well, you are right. Nobody likes being teased, and I had my own share of this in the past, so I can understand it. One can be honourable and still the crewmates will find something to tease about… just to pass their idle time. Fortunately, Baptiste doesn’t keep grudges either,” he said on a thoughtful, but warm tone.

Not that his Provensal friend had much of an image to defend anyway – he was a good sailor, Pavoun said he was skilled

”I agree with you, Honey. This is what I think too, and I have always fought for what I believe,” he smiled, meeting her eyes.

He guessed that Baptiste was the one fighting more for survival, but he couldn’t blame him. Most people wanted to live… and this was what pirates had bet for always. Then, she attempted to take back her words, and it wouldn’t work with him. Not this kind of words. She seemed to be smarter than Anne and all the other girls here… maybe except Belle… but even Belle’s wisdom was of another kind.

”Don’t say this!” he protested loudly, still in a friendly way. ”You seem to know a lot of things, and you are not a silly wench. If someone calls you this and you don’t have anybody to speak or wield a sword for you, I will!”

His words were serious, not flirty and he meant them. It was not because he would like this girl in a different way – his heart and mind were too full of Chiara since the festival three weeks ago. So much that he wondered how Anne would read it in his eyes; still, nobody had ever insulted a woman in his presence without receiving the due answer. At the comment that she would drink to friendship, he contented himself just to smile. A smile she answered in kind, no matter the sad, bitter words.

”Everybody has left behind people they wouldn’t want to meet again,” he commented simply, then he laughed at the statement that he was tasting horrible in order to be spitted out ashore.

He actually was one of those who tried their best to keep clean at sea, even if it meant getting washed with seawater. His mother was always saying it kept illness away. He might have been tasting salty, but not that horrible…

”Even Honey can be spicy sometimes, it seems,” he replied to her teasings. ”But if you clean me up, you might not want to push me into the sea afterwards, it would be a waste of your efforts! And which would be the reasons to want me into a mermaid’s embrace, may I ask you?”

This was a flirty teasing, the right answer to her own, but without any further intentions. He was friendly, not intending to charm her. Other crewmates would, for sure, because she was beautiful and quick-witted.

--------------------
user posted image
||Biography||Plotting||Quoted theme song||

Thanks to Patrick of Souls on Fire and Pompeii for the graphic set!
^^^
Sol Galvez
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 02:15 PM

Captain of the "Rising Sun"
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

If Angel was too busy charming Honey – or so it seemed to Sol – the captain didn’t miss Benji’s behaviour, neither the good opportunity to scold him.

”Benji, how many times should we remind you that you are a gentleman of fortune and you should conduct yourself accordingly? You are no dog, and no beggar; you have just eaten a full meal… and more pie was promised to you if you behave. I might not snitch you out to Maribel for what you have just done… but pull yourself up and act your age and your social status!”

He couldn’t understand this boy, only one year younger than he had been when going to sea… Right then, Minette came to his side, asking about his health.

”Almost ready to go back to sea, Minette!” he bragged, even if Maribel and Sara would have another opinion. ”I am looking forward to a sparring with Angel tomorrow… too much vinegar made me rusty,” he joked at Maribel’s treatments against fever. ”How are you? Why haven’t I seen lately my most sincere admirer?”

The most sincere admirer was Louie, of course. Then, she complained about a nasty customer – one of those locals who were often playing their instruments at the parties the innkeeper organized – and made him laugh with her gossips.

”This is the main reason why I won’t ever get married, Minette! No reason to fear pots and pans,” he answered.

He was glad that, one by one, his crew were getting around the tables, eating, drinking, and telling something about a merchant ship and about a privateer one…

--------------------
user posted image
||Quoted theme song||Biography||Plot Page||
Thank you, Jouko, for the signature!
^^^
Benjamin Colt
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 06:56 PM

Rigger on the Rising Sun
Group Icon

Group: Pirate
Member No.: 210

Benjamin snorted at the womans words. Honour? Who in their right mind named their child 'Honour' unless...Well, unless she was some kind of royalty or something?
The woman sure didn't look like some kind of royalty to Benjamin. With her common clothes and what not.
He huffed, and grabbed the abandoned, half eaten piece of bread off the plate, and took a large bite from it after dipping it in some of the gravy on the plate.
It still amazed him how stupid people could be. Leaving food on their plates, when people were starving just outside that door.
And what happened to the food left on the plates? It was thrown away. Left to rot unless some lucky little street-rat acted fast enough and grabbed what little there was, before it was too ruined.
Luckily, Benjamin was there.
He could finish what others didn't, and make sure that no food was wasted...
Sol's voice penetrated his thoughts, and the young man flinched, nearly dropping the second hand roll of bread as he turned to peer guiltily at his Captain, gravy smudged on his upper lip.
Right. He wasn't a street rat anymore. He was a...a man of fortune...Still, that didn't prevent him from quickly stuffing the roll of bread into his mouth, before he slunk back to his seat at the table, shoulders slightly hunched.
He had, in his joy over catching sight of the bread, forgotten all about the pie.
Hopefully, Sol would find some pity for him, and not mention anything to Maribel. Resting his forehead on the table, he couldn't help but to pout. as he tried to ignore the laughter from everyone around him.
He was a bit worried that if he caught sight of another half-empty, abandoned plate, he would scurry right over to it.
Food usually had that effect on him after all.
Turning his head slightly, he glanced at Minette and Sol, a pout still on his full bottom-lip.
"How long do I have to wait fro the pie? Minette? When is the pie done?! I'm starving!"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image user posted image
^^^
Honour Miller
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 03:56 PM

Unregistered

Feeling grateful against both Sol and Angel she hid the wide smile spreading on her face behind a wall of honey-blond hair. She didn't want them to see the more devilish side of herself, especially since mean never worked as a great bond-binder when meeting new people. Maybe if they hadn't been around, if the boy'd been nosy about it when the other already went to their rooms or their boats she wouldn't let it slip so easy. She would have taken him by the ear and made him apologize. He didn't seem like one of 'em brutal pirates she had met during her years. More of a poor boy who just accidentally found safety onboard a ship.

She was actually genuinely surprised. It was not like she had had men, or anyone really standing up for her... Ever. So his kind, but spirited words, made her warm up to him. A constant smile rested on her lips and she now had no problem looking the man in the eyes and did not always have second thoughts about what she said and did. But still a seed of suspicion lurked in the back of her mind, constantly telling her that she did not know this person and that every man had a bad side that she might be oblivious to during their first encounter, but that would show it's true self leaving her shredded to pieces.

At first, the quick-witted tavern wench had no reply -maybe for the first time ever. Shaking her shoulders she snapped out of it. "Oh, well... What has a former street rat to say, and who would listen? Even if she had a good point?" She managed an outstretched "smiling"-face. Leaving her troubled mind for later she focused on the conversation and on the comical turn it'd taken. She liked these sort of throwing the ball back and fort with quick, but well thought sentences. Although she might seem like the romantic type that would like sitting under a pine tree talking about philosophy and read love letters that wasn't even hers to read.

"Well, you've got a point..." She tilted her head and a crooked, wicked expression spread across her cheeks. "But you would be handsome enough as a peace offer for the mermaids and I think that if it wasn't your looks that made the sea spit you out it must have been something else. And for the matter why - I wouldn't mind standing on good terms with 'em when I... When I..." She looked down at her hands, having a hard time finding the right words. "You see, I've always longed to travel. And I just figured that If I sometime get the chance, the protection of the mermaid wouldn't be to bad." She stopped, realizing how stupid she must sound.

She liked this friendly chat. Flirtatiously teasing, but nothing more.
^^^
Sol Galvez
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 06:48 AM

Captain of the "Rising Sun"
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

Sol, still with a not so approving look in his eyes, but trying his best to conceal his amusement, watched how Benji got his pie.

”You should prove that you can eat it nicely!” he challenged the lad. ”As you heard, you are the celebrated one tonight,” he praised him. ”Saving a life is important and it is a proof of courage!”

Then, he focused on the banter between Angel and Honey.

”Angel is right, I see no street rat either. Even Benji is no more one for a long time,” he said.

Her crooked smile gave her another charm, and the witty answers made him laugh. She had something different, buried deep inside her personality. He couldn’t say yet what, but she intrigued him more and more.

"You'll have the opportunity to travel some day, at least to Port de Paix or Kingston, I promise it," he told the young woman when she expressed a longing to see the world.

It made sense: a man with a woman by his side raised less suspicion that they were in town spying for the pirates. She could be a good cover for Angel or for anyone else sent to learn about well-loaded ships and Navy moves.

--------------------
user posted image
||Quoted theme song||Biography||Plot Page||
Thank you, Jouko, for the signature!
^^^
Andrea Costa
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 07:49 AM

Sailing Master on the "Rising Sun"
Group Icon

Member No.: 8

Andrea smiled at Honey – a friendly, serene, encouraging smile.

”I see no street rat here, and I am listening to a lovely tavern maid,” he answered briefly.

The smile got into a laughter, both at her reasoning and at being assessed as ”handsome enough as a peace offer for the mermaids”. At the same time, the confession that she had longed to travel and she had never got the opportunity made him feel sort of sorry for her – this was, before Sol answering that she would have this opportunity. He knew that most people on the islands had no opportunities to go beyond the next village or town…

”Well, if you want me to be your protection, I can be without you pushing me into the sea,” he smiled. ”What makes you think I don’t have already a pact with her?” he winked. ”I might be more useful to you alive by your side, if Sol and I can convince Maribel to give you a few free days for a trip to Port de Paix.”

He had no idea that his words would come true some day…

It was just an usual evening at the “Elixir d’Armagnac”, the sort of quiet celebration they were longing for while at sea. One of these days, Maribel would give a party in their honour, they all knew this. It was heartwarming to know that in Basse Terre, there was somebody to care for them and to rejoice upon their return. But for now, even without other music than Sol’s guitar and a few men’s fifes, it was nice; worth raising another mug of cider in good company.

– THE END –

--------------------
user posted image
||Biography||Plotting||Quoted theme song||

Thanks to Patrick of Souls on Fire and Pompeii for the graphic set!
^^^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Options Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5]  Locked New Topic New Poll

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1115 seconds | Archive
Credits. This skin was made by MORU specifically for BEFORE THE MAST.
Listed At:
RPG-D Distant Fantasies RPGfix The Shoebox RP Temple! Moon Fighter Resource Forum a team resource & community site RPGConference RPG,D&D Library Nerd LinkLane Ruby Wings Listings Sinful Desire