DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Join us to new adventures in 1720!

Click on the 1720 icon to get to our new jcink page!

Welcome

It's 1719 in the West Indies. The Caribbean Sea is boiling in the war and there is no quiet place ashore or at sea. Besides the political turmoil which leads the colonies at each other's throats, pirates and privateers are on the prowl. Come spend some time with us BEFORE THE MAST, on any ship you like!

This page is an archive of the 1719 year. For the year 1720, if you want to join us and further our story, please click here.

This website looks best in Chrome and Internet Explorer. Firefox is not recommended because it distorts some images.

Navigate
The Codex
The Plot
Newbie Guide
Application
FAQs
Face Claim
Ship Rosters
Wanted ads

Civilians census list
Characters masterlist
Board Calendar
Need to know vs Nice to know

Tumblr

December 1719

TIME STAMP

Fleet Admiral

Spotlight of 1719
Sara Lee Mitchell

played by Mascha

Sara display photo Saradisplay.jpg

The highly professional pirate doctor, with us since May 2011, has been the most active character of 1719, with about 350 posts. She is a complex and well researched character, written by an active, faithful and enthusiastic writer, full of initiative and imagination.

Taking into account that the writer’s mother tongue is not English, even more deserved congratulations!

Awards

1st
2012 Sim Cup

Originality award small, Given by RPG Conference

BTM cup 2013 photo BTM2013cup_zpsde56d809.jpg

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software
  Locked New Topic New Poll

Wanderlust, Tag: Rose
Kanyi
Posted: Dec 20 2011, 02:58 AM

Unregistered

Date: 13th of July
Place: Tortuga, Basse Terra

Not yet afternoon, and Kanyi found himself wandering about the town the crew of the Caribbean Siren considered a haven. He liked the busy feel of the market in town, every person intent upon their own tasks. Even better, he liked that the appearance of men like himself had become somewhat normal in Basse Terra. He wasn't the only runaway slave making a living in Tortuga. This place seemed a good midland between the life he knew as a child and his first introduction to life as a slave. Not a favorable introduction to the white world. Neither was home, but this town and the Caribbean Siren came closest to it.

He felt the weight of his purse as he meandered about, keeping careful watch not to lose it to the thieves cheerfully preyed on the inhabitants. It also reminded him of his task. First to buy a new pair of trousers. Comfortable and easy to move in. That was his style. The clothing he often found away from his tribe seemed excessively restrictive to him, but he understood the native dress of the Yoruba would raise a few eyebrows, even here. Sometimes he wanted to throw convention to the wind and just walk about as naked as the day he was born, since the robes of his people were not available. His desire to remain inconspicuous always overrode the occasional nudist impulse.

He stopped to look at books on display, fingering the spines as he considered the price. Did he need another volume? And could he afford it? The modest sum he had saved away in the hopes of one day finding his sister was his first priority. But over time the hope was fading, and more and more he wondered if it was foolishness. Then he wondered what he would save for. He didn't need much money. And what job could he really do? Farm, maybe. But he didn't know how. How did one go about learning a new occupation?

As he looked over the wares, he caught site of a familiar face, and paused, trying to remember. That was right! It was the woman from the previous night. One of Madame Belle's girls. Miss Rose. He politely bowed in her direction (he had seen men address women this way) and greeted, "Miss Rose."

He didn't really know what else to say, and left it at that.
^^^
Rose Charity
Posted: Dec 30 2011, 05:02 AM

Group Icon

Group: Civilian
Member No.: 183

It was good to have a day out, even though she'd only been working for a short amount of time at the Elixir. Still, her very first pay check was in her pocket and she was using her morning off to take a walk to the town to check out the market stalls. Perhaps she could find some cloth to sew a new skirt or some pretty smelling soaps for her hair. Honestly, she wasn't quite sure what she would buy but she was eager to browse and see what was available.

There was so much to see, but she was immediately drawn to a pile of books, not even looking up right away as she pored over them, eager to see what was available. If there was one thing she loved to do by lamplight before she went to sleep each night, it was to read. She was surprised, therefore, when she heard a mans voice addressing her and she looked up to catch the polite bow, a smile spreading on her face.
"Monsieur Kanyi, it is good to see you! What brings you out here on such a lovely day?" And then, noting he was alone and feeling the need for company her smile broadened as she spied a fruit stand. "Walk with me?"

--------------------
user posted image
Rose :: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
user posted image user posted image
^^^
Kanyi
Posted: Jan 13 2012, 01:14 AM

Unregistered

Kanyi tentatively smiled in response to her friendly greeting, and nodded even though the question required a more verbose response. She seemed as surprised to see him as he was to stumble across her in the market. Though there really was no good reason for it. They were both in town, and these sort of coincidences did happen on occasion. He wasn't about to complain. He could think of a great many people he would not like to run into, and Miss Rose did not make that list. He found that her kindness and genuine nature set him at ease. An excellent trait for a girl working at Bella's place. In response to her question, he held up a fat coin purse.

"Payment. No errand. I am wandering."

He nodded his head, agreeing to accompany her. It was more pleasurable to have company than for one to be alone. The exception being that one set out for solitude. That was not the case with Kanyi. The other pirates were off according to their own individual wills and pleasures. He had no idea where Benji was, which was unusual since he was the most likely of the crew for Kanyi to be with at any given time. So he had decided to meander about.

"And what brought you here, Miss Rose? May I be of use?"

It was rude not to offer help. He had been taught that before. More than that, he was bored with his own idleness. The type of man that liked to keep busy, he jumped at the chance now of a task or job begin. It was all good and well to nap or read on occasion, but in between 'jobs' it seemed the crew had too much time for napping, eating, boozing and whatever other trouble they could get themselves into. Kanyi was beginning to think he could feel the extra fat of laziness clinging to the sinews and muscles of his body. He secretly hoped her errand included large crates of something or other that needed hoisting back to the Elixier. Such word left him with satisfaction, and feeling that he earned his place.
^^^
Rose Charity
Posted: Feb 5 2012, 06:20 AM

Group Icon

Though many other people may have averted their eyes from Kanyi or even crossed the street to get further away, Rose felt no such inclination. He was a child of God as much as she was and skin colour meant nothing at all. In fact, she found his dark skin to be quite lovely, a stark contrast to her milky white complexion and she found herself fascinated by him, wanting to know about the land far away when he was a boy, about his family and what strange customs he might have. That he spoke English was a huge bonus, making it so much easier to communicate and her face lit up in a smile as he showed his purse.

"Well now, that's even better! I'm here with my own very first payment and I must say it's rather exciting to think that I earned this money all by myself. Makes me feel...accomplished, oui?"

Pondering his question and offer, she couldn't help but feel touched by his kindness and she rewarded him with another smile.
"Perhaps...would you keep me company for a short while? I would quite like someone to talk to while I shop, so long as I'm not keeping you from anything important?"

--------------------
user posted image
Rose :: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
^^^
Kanyi
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 11:32 PM

Unregistered

"Well now, that's even better! I'm here with my own very first payment and I must say it's rather exciting to think that I earned this money all by myself. Makes me feel...accomplished, oui?"

Oui. Oui, oui... He puzzled over this phrase, turning it about in his mind like a child handling a new toy. What was this word? Was it English? It was one he could recall hearing before, but he couldn't pin down when or where. Should he ask her what it meant? He initially disliked the notion. Miss Rose, he wanted her to think well of him. He frowned while he conducted his inner debate. Finally, his desire for knowledge outweighed any embarrassment he felt, and he hesitantly formed the word with his clumsy tongue and heavy accent.

"Oowweeeee? I know not that word. Is English? I also feel accomplished with payment, but not with oowweee."

His poor attempt to turn his clumsy pronunciation into a joke. It would be good if the two could relax around one another. Kanyi found friends a necessity in this new life, and also a joy. The men of the pirate ship had become friends and brothers to him, and made life better. Surely he could also be friends with Miss Rose? Though at best he felt tongue-twisted around her and oafish.

"Yes, company is good. Good company, best. Do you know what you wish for? To buy?"

He didn't really know much of what women buy, but he had seen some with ribbons. A blue ribbon would be good for Miss Rose. Her eyes were blue. None of his people had blue eyes.
^^^
Rose Charity
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 03:29 AM

Group Icon

Kanyi seemed confused by something and she bit her lip to stop an amused giggle as he tried to copy her words. Truly, she wasn't laughing at the man because she liked him and found him fascinating, and she admired that he was trying so hard to learn, but it just sounded so strange to her ears and she smiled indulgently at him.

"Oui...it is...yes? I believe, they say in English. My home is France so sometimes the words...they elude me. Habits can be hard to break." Her eyes were dancing, though, so he should know that she wasn't upset or embarrassed or any of those negative things. In fact, she didn't care what anyone thought of a girl as pale as snow walking with a man as dark as midnight and she slid her arm through his so they could walk companionably.

"I would like to buy...a book, I think. Oui...yes, a book, and perhaps a new brush for my hair. The bristles on my old one are too course, they pull too hard and hurt my head. What about you? What will you buy?"

--------------------
user posted image
^^^
Kanyi
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 06:39 PM

Unregistered

Oh. Not an English word. He felt pleased that he it hadn't been one. It helped him to feel as though his grasp on the foreign language was strong, though he had many ways he had to improve. He had been taught to read, but speaking at times was difficult for him. Words at times came slowly. He smiled.

"I have met the people of your country, but your speech confuses me. Perhaps I must listen more, oooouuuweee?"

A book? He was surprised Miss Rose wanted to purchase a book. Reading seemed rare in this place. He knew it was. It was one of the reasons why he had been taught to read in the first place. The man wanted to show others that he could teach even a slave to do so. The insult was not lost on Kanyi, but he doubted the man had said such things to attack Kanyi. The comment had been for the other white man, whose name he had long since forgotten, and the slave was below notice even for an insult. At times, this was useful. As a hunter for his tribe, remaining hidden was an oft-used strategy. Surprise was an effective predator.

With a sly look, he ran a hand over his bald head as he tentatively made a joke.

"I also wish to purchase a brush. The bristles in mine are too stiff and give no shine."

The skin at the corner of his eyes crinkled as he smiled at the joke, inviting her to share in his humor.
^^^
Rose Charity
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 05:35 AM

Group Icon

Rose couldn't help but grin when he used her own country's word and she clapped her hands, nodding happily.

"Oui, yes, you must. I shall be your french teacher today, and you shall be my english one, because I still have trouble with some words. Besides," and she leaned in a little closer as if sharing a big secret. "My papa always said that you should use your mind every day, learn every day or it will become sans valeur." This time it was her turn to frown, pursing her lips as she cast around for the right word, in the end giving up with a shrug.

At his surprised expression, she realised that most women of her current caste didn't read, and she blushed slightly as she remembered all too suddenly that she was no longer a wealthy, educated and marriageable young lady. Well, let him draw from her words what he will, she thought, smile reappearing at his tease.

"Yes, I see what you mean." Her own eyes danced and she motioned with her head that she was about to start making her way toward the books. "All that salty water must dry your hair out terribly."

They continued their shopping, talking and joking, without minding the occasional strange looks they might get.

- THE END -

--------------------
user posted image
^^^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Options Locked New Topic New Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3117 seconds | Archive
Credits. This skin was made by MORU specifically for BEFORE THE MAST.
Listed At:
RPG-D Distant Fantasies RPGfix The Shoebox RP Temple! Moon Fighter Resource Forum a team resource & community site RPGConference RPG,D&D Library Nerd LinkLane Ruby Wings Listings Sinful Desire