Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Animanon. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

What do you think of Blender?, Would you use it?
TT Snim
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 07:54 AM

Captain Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I would like to one day learn the Blender, it's obviously far more advanced in terms of capabilities than Anim8or. But it handles like it was made in France, the instructions were written by the Chinese, translated in to English by some Yiddish man living with yaks, and handed to you in a battered card board box that reeks of goat cheese. I mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Apparently people can AND HAVE used it. And my brother gets ANGRY when I tell him I would rather use anim8or than the Blender.

SO what say you on this fine, though complicated and hard to grasp, program?

--------------------
user posted image user posted image
$imon
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 09:47 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

I have tried it once, 6 years ago, for 2,5 hours. Cant remember it, just that i didnt know anything what was going on ( partially cause i had no experience in a 3d workspace haha)

I might download it and see what it can do sometime. Though i have 3d studio max so i am not really in need of it. Would be kindof fun though!
Olias
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 12:57 PM

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (TT Snim @ Oct 31 2007, 07:54 AM)
I would like to one day learn the Blender, it's obviously far more advanced in terms of capabilities than Anim8or. But it handles like it was made in France, the instructions were written by the Chinese, translated in to English by some Yiddish man living with yaks, and handed to you in a battered card board box that reeks of goat cheese. I mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Apparently people can AND HAVE used it. And my brother gets ANGRY when I tell him I would rather use anim8or than the Blender.

SO what say you on this fine, though complicated and hard to grasp, program?

I would have to say I agree with that description.

I only messed with it for about a half hour, and the controls, the entire front end is not exactly user friendly or intuitive.

However, everyone I've ever talked to that have gotten past the learning curve with Blender think it's the greatest thing ever. I've heard people say they prefer Blender to the 900-pound gorilla of 3D applications, 3DS Max.
$imon
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 04:47 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Olias @ Oct 31 2007, 12:57 PM)
However, everyone I've ever talked to that have gotten past the learning curve with Blender think it's the greatest thing ever. I've heard people say they prefer Blender to the 900-pound gorilla of 3D applications, 3DS Max.

3d studio max's poly modeling part is very poor, except when you want to make exact premeasured objects, like buildings, it is very hard to get the shape you want, and the ui is not sufficient for this.

That is why i often fall back on anim8or for modeling organic or more detailed objects.

Besides the modeling part, 3d studio max has one of the most powerful render engines out there, certainly combinated with vray or similar plugins. It also has a very complete package of features within the program itself, that is why it has become so popular and is considered one of the best 3d packages out there.

Blender might have an edge on 3d studio max with modeling, so in that aspect i would probably agree on people preferring blender over 3d studio max, but 3d studio max provides such more professional renders and features, no free program can probably ever top that.
headwax
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 11:24 PM

Lieutenant Member

Member No.: 11

I've done quite a few tutorials in blender and printed out the HUGE manual.

Compared to animator it is ridiculously confusing.

The tutorials are inconsistent because the interface (appears to) change with each update.

The problem (seems to be) that it is open source.

That is its strength but makes it very hard to get into from the ground level.

I would like to use it but I have invested a lot of time in anim8or and know there are many depths I have not plumbed in this programm yet.

Goop
Posted: Nov 1 2007, 05:38 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

Blender is a great program biggrin.gif

But it takes time to learn were and how to get things working.

I'm still trying to learn it! dry.gif

Huzzah

--------------------
maxeuse
Posted: Nov 7 2007, 06:08 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9

QUOTE ($imon @ Oct 31 2007, 04:47 PM)

3d studio max's poly modeling part is very poor, except when you want to make exact premeasured objects, like buildings, it is very hard to get the shape you want, and the ui is not sufficient for this.

I don't agree on that , 3ds max allow you to create organic shape and even animate the shape the way you want to ,you just have to know the right modifiers to use .
for instance , 3smax is perfect for animating faces, isn't there something more precise and organic than that ?
let me find you examples on the net
$imon
Posted: Nov 7 2007, 08:54 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (maxeuse @ Nov 7 2007, 06:08 AM)
QUOTE ($imon @ Oct 31 2007, 04:47 PM)

I don't agree on that , 3ds max allow you to create organic shape and even animate the shape the way you want to ,you just have to know the right modifiers to use .
for instance , 3smax is perfect for animating faces, isn't there something more precise and organic than that ?
let me find you examples on the net

No of course, It is a good program to animate probably, Ive seen enough examples of that. But its the modeling part that is very user unfriendly thats what i was trying to say laugh.gif
mcheccyb
Posted: Nov 25 2007, 10:13 AM

Member No.: 26

I have recently aquired blender and am finding it very hard to learn but i am getting better.

My favourite tool is the ability to select an edgeloop instead of selecting each point.

I also like the mirror modifier tool. That makes modeling symetrical things easier.
bobg
Posted: Nov 25 2007, 10:40 PM

Member No.: 28

The first time I downloaded Blender, about five years ago, I spent 10 frustrated minutes trying to figure out how it works and another 5 trying to find the `quit' button. laugh.gif Thats when I downloaded and started using Anim8or.

My experience is that you can spend six months learning something or you can spend six months learning the same thing over and over again. It took me a couple of years of steady use to really learn 3D animation using Anim8or. In that time I was continually gaining new knowledge I did eventually reach a point where I wanted to do things that Anim8or can't do. Specifically I started a project to try to make realistic looking hair. When I finally turned to Blender, the result was quite spectacular. The second time around, Blender was easy and almost seemed intuitive from the start thanks to the experience I had gained working with Anim8or. There are significant differences and there is still a learning curve to climb but it was not hard enough to stop me. I actually find Blender easier to use now than Anim8or simply because I never learned the `shortcut' keys in Anim8or. The easy, intuitive menus made me too lazy.

Since I am just a hobby artist, I will never buy one of the commercial packages so I can't offer any comparisons. I do try to stay informed and from the new developments coming out with each new release of Blender I don't think I'll be needing one. Blender recently got a sculpting mode, fluid simulation, sub-surface scatter, and image compositing. An up-coming feature that has not hit the release stage yet is a hair `comb' that make styling hair much easier (it is possible to do it now with spline curves.) It already comes with a game engine, UV unwrapper, a very basic texture paint ability, and a sophisticated video editor.

Despite all that I still fire up Anim8or from time to time.
Arik_the_Red
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 04:02 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

bobg,

I'm currently looking for a "resident expert" for use of Blender, as well as a few other software - 3DS max, etc.

Would you be interested in moderating a forum area dedicated to Blender?

I'm thinking of reworking the forum a bit so that various software have their own operations/question-answer area just for software discussion. Each "resident expert" for said software would then have moderator powers for that forum.

What do ya think? Are ya up for it?

--------------------
Add me to IM: arik_the_red@hotmail.com

Arik the Red
Founder of AnimAnon
Join the Slow Party!
user posted image
www.theslowskys.com
Kreator
Posted: Dec 1 2007, 09:02 AM

Colonel Member

Member No.: 7

Well I`ve downloaded it and some vids to have a look at it... I remember getting this when I first got a PC and it was a nightmare to use ... still I`ll have a delve again just to see what has changed! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
why not visit my site at http://kevsworld.orgfree.com
« Next Oldest | Blender | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0313 seconds · Archive
ANIMANON
Animation of the Week