· Portal  Help      Search      Members      Calendar

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Alep 2008. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

~ Front Page ~, Breaking News!
gandalf the grey
Posted: Jul 2 2007, 06:57 PM

Wandering Wizard

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

(Posted Image)

Hobbiton welcomes the first edition of the Hobbiton Gazette for inquiring hobbits from the North Moors to the Sarn Ford.
gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 14 2007, 07:21 PM

Wandering Wizard

:letter: And so it begins. Today the invitations went flooding out of Bag End and our great adventure begins. Am I excited? Yes, I believe I am, and I hope there are many others out there who are too, for this is quite a thing to be excited about. Such a thing has never before been seen in the Shire!

Till we meet,

:G rune:
Jef_Murray
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 01:49 PM

New to the Shire

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Gandalf,

Does this mean the "all clear" has been posted and that we may begin
letting folks know about the website?

Jef
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 08:00 PM

Just Maggie...the Future Crazy Old Cat Hobbit!

Member No.: 5

I believe this will happen after Dragon*Con? :smaug:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 04:41 AM

Wandering Wizard

QUOTE (Jef_Murray @ Aug 15 2007, 01:49 PM)
Gandalf,

Does this mean the "all clear" has been posted and that we may begin
letting folks know about the website?

Jef

:lotr_gandalf: In truth, we are in the 'invitation' phase. Who knows? It may fill up the village, but if not we will go public soon. Good to have you on board, Jef.

melianndoriath
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 03:25 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 20

I am most thrilled to hear of this event of special magnifience! :letter: I have waited for some time now to have such within a "reachable distance" for me. :cart: My spirit is most glad to know that it will be with others of similar fashion. :aragorn:

Meli
gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 21 2007, 10:59 PM

Wandering Wizard

:bell: NEW!
:letter: Response to ALEP 2008 is going very well; so well in fact that I want to remind anyone interested to not delay ( :legolas: We cannot linger!), for those who do might miss out on the fun as there is limited space.
Frodo
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 04:03 PM

Frodo Baggins

Member No.: 4

We have the pleasure of adding Constance G.J. Wagner to our guest list. Director of the Writing Program at Saint Peter’s College in Jersey City, New Jersey she is currently finishing a book-length analysis of Frodo as sacrificial hero in The Lord of the Rings.
:frodo:
Frodo
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 04:07 PM

Frodo Baggins

On the subject of registrations, they are coming in at a rate we had not forseen.

If you truly wish to come, register now as the number of places available are limited by the amount of people the village can accomodate. You still have 30 days after that to send us your deposit.

gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 10:22 PM

Wandering Wizard

:lotr_gandalf: I wish to address something. I read in another forum that response so far ‘has not been what we’d hoped’ for the party.
I have no idea where this came from, but let me assure you that response has in fact been far better than we expected, and we haven’t even gone public yet. That is why we have been urging people to sign up if they are interested because unlike the huge venues of typical conventions, this village is in a rural setting and has limited space, and those who wait too long may find that the available spaces are filled.
For us at the ALEP staff, we wish we could accommodate every single person who wished to come, for I believe they would enjoy it, but 'you can only get so many Hobbits in a hole', as they say in the Shire.

:pipe: On another note, dear Bilbo came up last night and had dinner with Frodo & I. Then to our surprise, Odo Proudfoot dropped by and sat down to dinner with us as well. It was a splendid evening; after we washed up the dishes we all stepped outside, lit a fire and fellowshipped as the stars came out while I tried out a new blend of pipe-weed: “Pennington Gap”.

Awelyn
Posted: Sep 1 2007, 05:32 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 33

I am so excited about the gathering. I have waited so long and now almost in my back yard it seems that dear Bilbo and Frodo are having a party and I am excited. Oh dear can I wait a year! Well, I will have to be patient and get my finery finished. Bilbo I am looking forward to your stories. Thank you so much for the invitation and I am so excited about seeing Gandalf and so many others. Oh I am just in a dither.
melianndoriath
Posted: Sep 4 2007, 12:55 AM

Shire Wizard

I'm very excited as well, Awelyn. I'll get to meet new friends for the first time and spend some time with old, dear ones. :grouphug:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Sep 4 2007, 03:31 PM

Wandering Wizard

:smaug: Gandalf's DragonCon Report

Another DragonCon, gone. It will be time for Bilbo’s party before we know it. The entire staff, save Anne at Shaker Village, was in attendance at DragonCon, and we spoke of many things and sat down together to many meals for fellowship and business. Looking back, I think I enjoyed those times best, despite all the glitz and sights of the convention.

Now I would like to say this: I had absolutely no idea the talent within our small band of believers who are piecing this little party together. I was quite ‘caught on the hop’ as they say in the Shire, and I realized that I was in the company of greatness as I got to know them better. They are all so humble about their gifts, one would never know the amazing things they have achieved, and great things will come of this, I believe, and I have the utmost faith in them all.

:bell: As many of you may know by now, we are public about our party, and we did our best to spread the word while in Atlanta, so feel free to tell anyone you think might be interested (as well as a good addition) about our little party. Most that I spoke to seemed very interested (as well they should be).

I made some ALEP paraphernalia for the trip (with some suggestions from Odo Proudfoot), which can be seen below:

Business card
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1258/132196...a6cecc62c_m.jpg

Flyer Handouts ~ Bless you Jef
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1321961400&size=m

Poster
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1321961408&size=l

Here are some links to a few of the early pics I have found thus far of your hard working staff in the heat of Atlanta:

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1309637303&size=o

http://flickr.com/photos/runninginplace/1312491296/

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1297056998&size=l

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1298914946&size=o

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1297047956&size=m

http://flickr.com/photos/jennstar/1315567090/

Nice group shot ~

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/thed...07/DSC_0222.jpg

Tootles for now,

Rosie_Cotton
  Posted: Sep 4 2007, 09:31 PM

I'm going to print some of each out. I know Ilan will place them in his store and will display the business cards so interested people can take them.

(he still thinks we're all nuts for dressing up and "conventioning") LOL :squirrel:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Sep 14 2007, 04:13 PM

Wandering Wizard

:bell: NEW :bell:

We have some good news here! Thanks to the efforts of our resident shieldmaiden :eowyn: Eowyn (or Jo) we are on The One Ring.Net, or TORN. Have a look:

http://www.theonering.net/index.shtml

A very big THANK YOU, Jo!

Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Sep 14 2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks Jo! :faramireowyn:
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Sep 14 2007, 08:01 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Group: Committee
Member No.: 11

:: blush ::

Aw, thanks guys.

It was nuttin'.
melianndoriath
Posted: Sep 15 2007, 01:24 AM

Shire Wizard

I've shared the news at council of Elrond. They seem to think that since the event is a year away, folks have plenty of time to decide if they'd like to go or not. Check it out at council of Elrond Look under the title, Baggins birthday bash
Awelyn
Posted: Sep 15 2007, 08:50 PM

Shire Wizard

Yes ,Meli I hope some of our bunch read it and attend this most wonderful of parties. Hip,hip ,horray for Hobbits. You did am excellent job by the way. Did you see that waterfall on the advertisement? It reminded me of Lorien.
Awelyn
melianndoriath
Posted: Sep 16 2007, 01:32 AM

Shire Wizard

Waterfalls, rivers, woods...Middle earth will be lovely in the fall, Awelyn. I can't wait to see it. Where I live there are only two seasons: wet or dry. Semms pretty warm (or blazingly hot) most all the time...and mostly damp, except for this dry spell we've had.

Here's hoping that some of the Council of Elrond folk will attend!! :fireplace:
Awelyn
Posted: Sep 20 2007, 06:02 PM

Shire Wizard

Meli ,one more of our Council of Elrond group may be coming with her husband. :grouphug: Awelyn
gandalf the grey
Posted: Sep 25 2007, 01:11 PM

Wandering Wizard

:bell: It is September, the 25th, 2007. Thus starts our one-year countdown.

:hourglass: A year might seem like a long time, but it will pass before you realize. For myself, I am in no hurry, for I shall miss having this to look forward to.

Frodo and I paid a visit to the Village yesterday as promised, and did many deeds as well as met with Dear Bilbo for dinner, tea and Lembas. We will both have a full report soon as well as some pics.

(Posted Image)

Neume
Posted: Sep 25 2007, 03:09 PM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

Member No.: 39

Happy One Year Countdown!!

What a breathtakingly beautiful,serene picture that is! I don't know if I can wait a whole year. I've driven past that place several times on my travels,though with someone else driving who would never let me stop.

Though I understand what you mean,its so nice to have something to really look forward too. I've been anxiously awaiting the pictures and the report on how your visit went.

Sounds like a lovely time was had by all.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo,
Neume
Awelyn
Posted: Sep 26 2007, 03:19 AM

Shire Wizard

Oh Gandalf the grey that is a beautiful and tranquil picture. I am just like Neume I can't wait to hear your report. I think I will just start marking the days off my calendar like you do at Christmas.
Awelyn
gandalf the grey
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 03:44 AM

Wandering Wizard

:gandalfgrey: ~ The One-Year Visit ~ :frodo:

:cart: From the beginning I have thought it wise to visit the village at the one-year date before our party. The reason is basically to see how the place looks and feels so we’ll know better what to expect next year.
In truth, I already had a good idea, but wished to go and see myself so as to be certain. Along with Frodo, we scouted out locations for various things and did a great deal of walking and taking pictures. Also, we hob-nobbed with the local residents who answered many questions (not all things can be found on the Internet, you see).

:cavetroll: On the way to the village, Frodo & I got our little adventure started by exploring a cave we passed on the way. Alas, there were no trolls, treasure or
swords, but we got some nice pictures.

:tree: I was reimpressed with the village as we examined every nook and cranny. It is an interesting place in that it exists both in the present and the past. In truth, the late 1800’s was the death of the village for all intent and purpose, so in that sense it is a place that was suddenly stopped at a point in time, and that is how it has remained. However, the fact at it has been restored and is a working, living village today makes it seem very much alive, as if you had stepped back in time. As you explore the village, you will find your own clues that tell of it’s more ancient heritage (for the first shaker stepped foot on these shores in 1774), and of things and people that once were, but are no more.

:map: Like many of the races and civilizations of Middle-Earth, the shakers were once populous and spread out over much of the land, and even though they were quick to embrace modern advances to their own use, it was perhaps that very thing that doomed them, along with some rather curious beliefs I will not go into here, and they dwindled and faded into legend (and myth).

:hourglass: Walking about, I became even more excited about the event. Having been to England, I can guess that the village is not far removed from the technology of medieval times (even though I know some of you who might live across the sea are laughing at a mere 200 year span). The fact that we will be living in and using the village makes a stark contrast to the more museum-like atmosphere of other historical sites open to the public. Everyone there was friendly and eager to hear news of our event. Many restorations were being done, so the village will be in prime shape by our event.

:bag end: The views of the surrounding area were breathtaking. There was one spot in particular we found where I felt as if I had just stepped out of Bag End and looked across the Shire, so stunning was its depth and resemblance to images and depictions I have seen. When you are there, I will be more than happy to show you.

:bilbo: As noted, I took many pictures ~ many of which I cannot show you for they are of a secret nature, but the bulk of them I intend to use to make an interactive map on the web site. Also, I wouldn’t want to show you everything and spoil the sights of the village, even though cameras fall utterly short of capturing the true atmosphere. You will have to come to see the rest. As I have said many times: when you get there, you’ll understand.

See you in one year,

p.s. You can see some pictures here, if you wish:

http://flickr.com/photos/gandalf_the_grey/...57602181335770/
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 04:06 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

JP the pictures are breath taking.

The Gollum is a nice touch :)
Undomiel
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 04:07 AM

Daughter of Elrond

Member No.: 25

Thank you for sharing your report and photos, Gandalf. The village looks absolutely beautiful. I'm anxious to see it in person, this time next year.

~ Arwen.
maura labingi
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 04:20 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Sep 27 2007, 08:44 PM)

The views of the surrounding area were breathtaking. There was one spot in particular we found where I felt as if I had just stepped out of Bag End and looked across the Shire, so stunning was its depth and resemblance to images and depictions I have seen. When you are there, I will more then happy to show you.

Oh, those are just lovely. I am so looking forward to seeing that part of the country in the fall. Thanks for sharing the pics with us, it makes the "count down"more real and exciting! The interactive map sounds quite intrigueing, looking forward to seeing that also!
-Debbie/primmy
:fireplace:
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 04:24 AM

I want to move there and live in the Shire. :bag end:
Gandalf
Posted: Sep 28 2007, 10:44 AM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 41

I guess I didn't realize how much of a TEASE I was when I was Grey!!

The pics are very cool. Thanks.

Gandalf the White
:whitegandalf: :G rune:
:pipe:
melianndoriath
Posted: Oct 3 2007, 12:18 AM

Shire Wizard

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, Gandalf. I can't wait to have my feet walk the paths of Middle earth, Kentucky style.

What was the weather like, temperature wise? I live so far down south, I don't really know what it's supposed feel like in the fall.

Meli

:hobbit lass:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 3 2007, 03:07 AM

Wandering Wizard

QUOTE (melianndoriath @ Oct 3 2007, 12:18 AM)
What was the weather like, temperature wise? I live so far down south, I don't really know what it's supposed feel like in the fall.

Meli

Oh, it changes from year to year. This year it was warm, but other years it is quite cool. Who can say what the weather will do next year, but I would plan on fair days and cool nights, if my memory serves correctly.

Awelyn
Posted: Oct 3 2007, 05:47 PM

Shire Wizard

Oh, Gandalf talk about the Shire coming to life. The photos were great and I can't wait but will try to be patient. I felt like I was there and started to think what I would do there next year. Matter of fact I am staying at the East Family dwelling and I think one of the photos was of that building. Thank you and Frodo and all the others for keeping this alive and real until the time we meet together. :grouphug: : ALEP :
melianndoriath
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 01:28 AM

Shire Wizard

I can imagine us hobbit lasses walking along the paths to our room, or to some of the events, awelyn...and we'll see mith, sindy and hopefully some other members of the Council of Elrond crew. : ALEP :

You'll meet some of the Middle aged crazies and hear them sing the Middle earth drinking song at the Green Dragon as we toast and tell tales beside a warm fire.
:green dragon: :tankard: :fireplace:

We'll meet some new friends and have some good times. :

Aren't we lucky????? :chest:
Awelyn
Posted: Oct 4 2007, 12:07 PM

Shire Wizard

Mith we are very lucky indeed. I know you are so busy with your son's wedding. So, I am so glad to see you here and to read your post. Good morning everyone.
Awelyn :pumpkin: :bag end: :hobbit lass:
melianndoriath
Posted: Oct 6 2007, 02:37 AM

Shire Wizard

I didn't realize just how much of a tease you were until now, Gandalf !!

:lotr_gandalf:

I hate to admit it, but I kind of like that about you! :)

Who knew???
Awelyn
Posted: Oct 19 2007, 01:08 PM

Shire Wizard

Hello everyone. I live in southeast Missouri and we had some bad weather yesterday afternoon and last night. I am fine but other areas in Mo. saw tornadoes and I heard Kentucky had sever weather too. Has anybody heard about that and is the Shaker Village ok? Meli's state of Alabama was suppose to have severe weather also. To all here who had severe weather I hope you came out of it unscathed. Have a great day. I am off from school today and going to see the glory of Autumn at a lake by my house. : ALEP : :cart: :green_door: :lembas: :bag end: :hobbit lass red: :pumpkin:
maura labingi
Posted: Oct 19 2007, 05:49 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Hi Awelyn/Bramblerose,
I too hope everyone who's had tornadoes and hail and other bad weather recently came through it OK. I guess we'll need to wait until Gandalf the Grey can give us a report on the state of Shaker Village, he's the closest to it , I think.
Meanwhile, other breaking news: rumors are ablaze that "The HObbit" the movie will be going into production soon. I for one am keeping my fingers crossed that PJ, WETA and co. will be helming this production! And, that all of the LOTR actors can be in it, even if its a cameo appearance! (I see an opportunity for this at the beginning of the film. If it opens with hearty, middle-aged Bilbo telling his amazing story at a family gathering. Then we could see the LOTR hobbit actors playing the roles of their characters' fathers, looking like older versions of Merry, Pippin, Sam, and Frodo.)
-Debbie/primmy
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 19 2007, 08:48 PM

Wandering Wizard

:cart:
You need not fear. I passed the village just this morning and everything looks fine ~ so fine in fact that I must gather my camera and go take some pictures as fall is upon us and the trees are turning.
Still, that is not to say we did not have rough weather last night, and to make things worse it brought little rain.
:bilbo:
That is welcome news on The Hobbit movie. Oft have I told Bilbo that it would be a nice touch if that movie were to go into production before that party. We shall see.

Now, back to work...

melianndoriath
Posted: Oct 26 2007, 12:38 AM

Shire Wizard

Glad to know that Shaker Village is in fine shape. I pray that it continues to stay that way.
Wouldn't it be the absolute best to know that The Hobbit is being put on film while we're celebrating Bilbo and Frodo's birthdays???

:) :bilbo: :frodo:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Nov 1 2007, 02:45 PM

Wandering Wizard

:bell: NEW! :bell:

It is an important time for us here at ALEP ~ we have reached the halfway mark on attendance! As of this writing, we have actually passed the halfway mark, and registrations are picking up at a good pace.

:hourglass: Let me say again, if you are seriously considering attending or know someone who is, do not delay! Space at the village is limited. Also ~ if you have registered, do not forget to secure a room at the village as well. I already have a cozy room tucked in the back of the village to rest my feet at.

(Posted Image)

:G rune: & the : ALEP : staff.
Awelyn
Posted: Nov 5 2007, 01:12 PM

Shire Wizard

I wanted to wish all the UK posters a Happy Guy Fawkes day. :wraith: :MPfireworks: I am really impressed that we have so many people so soon.
Bramblerose
melianndoriath
Posted: Nov 7 2007, 03:33 AM

Shire Wizard

That's very exciting news, Gandalf, though not unexpected.
Awelyn and I , along with our friend mith have a cozy room at the Shaker Village as well.

:bed:
Must get to work on the outfits!!

:rosie:

Meli
gandalf the grey
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 05:21 PM

Wandering Wizard

(Posted Image)

:lotr_gandalf: Well, well, as promised, I took a trip out to the village yesterday and took a few pictures and strolled about. It was not a cold day, but the warmth of the sun was welcome just the same, and I did not dwell long in the shade. I hope you enjoy these as much as I did.

http://flickr.com/photos/gandalf_the_grey/...57603224919126/

maura labingi
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 07:07 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Oh, Gandalf, your Fall Visit photos are just so... wonderful. You could make a beautiful calendar out of those shots. The spectacular foliage colors do come through, and the composition of the frames really is artistic. And how charming that you had a small friend accompanying you: the little orange cat! What a truly lovely place the Village is, I can't wait to see it in person. Thanks for giving us the "Seasons of the Shire" with your photo essays, it is much appreciated.
-Debbie/primmy
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 08:01 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

JP!

The pictures are breathtaking.

Many of them almost brought tears to my eyes, I wish I had been there.
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 08:03 PM

Chrissy-cat wants to know if you got that Orange cat's phone number. ;)

I can't wait until September 2008, but the anticipation will be delicious. : ALEP :
dora_took
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 02:52 AM

Dora Took

Member No.: 7

aw, just beautiful.

-Dora Took :hobbit lass:
Undomiel
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 04:31 PM

Daughter of Elrond

Very lovely photos, Gandalf!

~ Arwen.
:aakiss:
Awelyn
Posted: Nov 20 2007, 12:59 PM

Shire Wizard

Thank you for the different views of our beloved Shire. They are very nice and I can't wait to be there. I love cats so I liked seeing that cat in the picture. Did your allergy flair up after your encounter?
Bramblerose -Awelyn : ALEP :
gandalf the grey
Posted: Nov 20 2007, 11:57 PM

Wandering Wizard

No, I spoke to him but tried to avoid any physical contact. I did give him a good scratching behind the ear and pat on the back before I left (but of course, I then had to go and wash my hand, ha).

Awelyn
Posted: Nov 21 2007, 01:23 PM

Shire Wizard

I'm glad your allergy did not flair up and so glad you were able to take so many pictures as that does make the waiting more bearable.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans here. :lembas: : ALEP : :squirrel:
melianndoriath
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 12:53 AM

Shire Wizard

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures of what will be The Shire for us next September. It looks so cozy and charming. I can't wait to wander the paths and perhaps pat the resident feline.

Hope that each one of you had a happy Thanksgiving.

:bag end:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Dec 19 2007, 12:14 AM

Wandering Wizard

gandalf the grey
Posted: Dec 23 2007, 02:42 AM

Wandering Wizard

.:MERRY CHRISTMAS:.

From the ALEP 2008 Staff!

:bilbo: :frodo: :gandalfgrey: :rosie: :hobbit lass: :eowyn: :hobbit lass red:

(Posted Image)

p.s. For a better look ~ http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/212941...a98129b15_b.jpg
dora_took
Posted: Dec 23 2007, 03:55 AM

Dora Took

That looks great!!

-Dora Took :hobbit lass:
Awelyn
Posted: Dec 23 2007, 04:33 PM

Shire Wizard

Oh Thank you ALEP staff and Merry Christmas to you. It looks wonderful. :christmas lass: :christmas lad: :christmas wizard:
Forestchild
Posted: Dec 24 2007, 04:25 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 62

And a fine looking group at that! :christmas lass:

Wiahing all those organizing this event (and all those planning to attend) a very Merry Christmas!
maura labingi
Posted: Dec 24 2007, 05:44 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Thanks Gandalf the Grey, that is such a thoughtful and homey-looking greeting card you made for all of us! Its almost Christmas Eve, now, and I too wish all our holiday wishes and dreams come true!
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone, and your families and friends too.
-Debbie/primmy (aka Maura Labingi)

:christmas lass: :christmas lad: :christmas wizard:
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Dec 24 2007, 09:30 PM

What a motley crew we make! :lol:

Best Wishes to All for a lovely Holiday Season and may you All have a very Happy New Year!

:MPfireworks: :christmas lass: :christmas wizard: :christmas lad: :rosie:
Undomiel
Posted: Dec 25 2007, 02:54 AM

Daughter of Elrond

Merry Christmas!

~ Arwen.
maura labingi
Posted: Dec 25 2007, 03:33 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

And a very Merry Christmas to you, and to all.
I hope you are able to be with your family and friends, and hug them close,
and that the joy of the season surrounds you.
Peace and joy to you and yours,
-Debbie/primmy
melianndoriath
Posted: Dec 26 2007, 04:18 PM

Shire Wizard

What a nice display of the "family." Thanks for sharing.

What a wonderful "gift" we have: The Hobbit in two installments!! That's what can happen when so many Tolkien lovers have been "good boys and girls" for so very long!!

:rolleyes:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Dec 27 2007, 01:15 PM

Wandering Wizard

QUOTE (melianndoriath @ Dec 26 2007, 12:18 PM)
What a nice display of the "family."  Thanks for sharing.

What a wonderful "gift" we have:  The Hobbit in two installments!!  That's what can happen when so many Tolkien lovers have been "good boys and girls" for so very long!!

:rolleyes:

In truth, our family is much larger than that, and if it were not for things like DPI and file size, I wish I could have put everyone there.

:picture: This brings up a point. We may wish to consider a group picture. I know of a hill in Hobbiton that would suit this well, plus, we will all be together for the party and in costume (or that is to say, a costume for some of us). I for one would like a fine large print to hang on my wall, so that future generations may look upon it and be reminded of great deeds in days past.

As far as The Hobbit is concerned, I could not be happier. Two books have been published recently concerning The Hobbit, and welcome news of the movie(s). Circumstance? Perhaps, but these are things to dwell upon.

whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Dec 27 2007, 02:07 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Have we given any thoughts to a professional photographer for such a thing?

My friend Sudrin (( who you might know of from FLICKR, JP, since he takes so many DCon pictures )) is a great photographer.
maura labingi
Posted: Dec 27 2007, 06:29 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

I think that's a great idea, Gandalf the Grey and WhiteLadyEowyn; a lovely huge group shot of the whole ALEP community taken on a hill, by a really good professional photographer! Hobbits and Rangers and Elves and Wizards, oh my!
-Debbie/primmy
melianndoriath
Posted: Dec 27 2007, 06:37 PM

Shire Wizard

Fabulous idea, Gandalf! I would love such a picture made into a poster to hang in my Middle earth room (if I have any wall space left!) and place in my LOTR scapbook.
: ALEP :
Forestchild
Posted: Dec 27 2007, 08:53 PM

Shire Wizard

A group photo would certainly be a wonderful keepsake, a treasured memento of the event.

:hobbit lass:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Dec 27 2007, 10:26 PM

Wandering Wizard

Perhaps like this. I used a photo from The Gathering of the Fellowship in
Tornto.

(Posted Image)

Slightly larger: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/214239...36b188eff_o.jpg

Also, I think a photographer could make a gold piece or two if he (or she) set up a studio for individual shots like this. It's a thought (and incentive for a photographer).

(Posted Image)

Ashlyn
Posted: Dec 28 2007, 01:02 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 50

Oh, yes! A good print, or poster made from same, would be a lovely momento! :grouphug: :picture:
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Dec 28 2007, 08:50 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

JP, I emailed Sudrin to see if he would be interested.

Let me know what you're thinking, in case he gets back to me and expresses an interest in the idea.
gandalf the grey
Posted: Jan 2 2008, 08:27 PM

Wandering Wizard

:pen & paper: Well…let me see here…

:compass: In an unexpected moment of boredom, I made a short list of where some of the party members are coming from. Quite interesting. So far we have people coming from:

Quebec, Canada
Thisted, Denmark
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ontario, Canada
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Manitoba, Canada

From the lower 48, we have people from:

Maryland
Kentucky (Duh)
California
New Jersey
Tennessee
Illinois
Connecticut
Pennsylvania
Georgia (but still considered outside the U.S. by some)
Missouri (Go big MO!!!)
Ohio
Indiana
Washington
Texas
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Nebraska
Virginia
Massachusetts
West Virginia (almost heaven)

21 by my count. Not too shabby for a first-ever party of this kind. We will see from whence they all came after this is over.

dora_took
Posted: Jan 2 2008, 11:50 PM

Dora Took

Very impressive!

-Dora Took :hobbit lass: :sewing:
maura labingi
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 01:37 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

This is the hot-off-the-press, breaking news section!
Flash! This just in:
ALEP Registrations are now over the 2/3 mark and are approaching the 3/4 mark!
Woo hoooo!!

However, don't lose your spot at ALEP because you have forgotten to send in the $85 deposit on the attendance fee! Your registration is *not complete* without it!!

Simply joining the Forum here, or sending in only the registration form, or reserving a dwelling does NOT mean you have secured a spot.
You must send in the registration form AND the deposit to officially register.

Keep in mind that because of the limited number of beds available at the Village, those who send in their deposit on the registration fee earlier will get the available spots; so don't wait too long or they will all be gone.

Please check the ALEP Website for details regarding the deposit fees, the balance due, and the
deadline for paying the balance.

If you have any questions about getting officially registered contact the administrators at this Forum, in "The Palantir" section: Registration Questions and Information.

Thanks, best wishes, and hope to see you there,

-all of us mods and admins

This post has been edited by maura labingi on Feb 7 2008, 03:58 PM
gandalf the grey
Posted: Feb 7 2008, 12:54 PM

Wandering Wizard

:pen & paper: We are at 120 registrations! The gap is starting to close and soon our party will have its numbers reached and houses filled. Quite exciting! I have had several people here express an interest in attending just by word-of-mouth, so remind anyone who has shown an interest not to tarry! Also, I must remind you all that registration fees and reserving a room are quite important in the process to secure your place.

Melilot Fields from Deephallow
Posted: Feb 16 2008, 09:32 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 97

Just enjoyed Gandalf's One Year Visit and Fall Visit photos -- fantastic! What a location! :)
gandalf the grey
Posted: Feb 17 2008, 12:10 AM

Wandering Wizard

QUOTE (Melilot Fields from Deephallow @ Feb 16 2008, 05:32 PM)
Just enjoyed Gandalf's One Year Visit and Fall Visit photos -- fantastic! What a location!  :)

Wait until you actually get there. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Alas, that I have not been able to get any winter pictures yet. What little snow we have had this year is melted away before I have a chance to journey to the village.

Frodo
Posted: Mar 9 2008, 11:42 PM

Frodo Baggins

We are now at 129 registrations and they are still coming in regularly. About 3/4 of the rooms at Shaker Village are reserved so things are really going well.

Frodo
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 08:13 PM

Frodo Baggins

Hello everyone. If you have been trying to access the ALEP Web Site our hosting company is moving the servers to a different city as specified below. Hopefully our site will be up and running tomorrow.

Data Center Relocation Update:

We are currently relocating all our servers and equipment from our present location in Hopkinsville, KY to our new state-of-the-art facility in Columbus, OH. The server relocation starts at 1am EST Saturday night. If your website or email service is unavailable after this time, please rest assured that our relocation team is working safely and securely to bring your service back up as fast as possible.
We are expecting all services, including telephone support, to be back online by or before 8am EST on Sunday morning.

Thank you for your patience while we complete this move.
Frodo
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 11:35 PM

Frodo Baggins

The web site is now back up, I hope for good.
gandalf the grey
Posted: Apr 22 2008, 01:44 AM

Wandering Wizard

:lotr_gandalf: Greetings all,

I went out to the Village the other day for a photoshoot and thought I'd share the pictures with you. I am actually a mile or so away from the main village, and about a half-mile from Hobbiton. It was a sunny yet cool day. Many folk were out walking the trails and riding horses too. A splendid day altogether. I look forward to sharing this place with you soon.

(Posted Image)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gandalf_the_g...57604668418839/

Undomiel
Posted: Apr 22 2008, 01:52 AM

Daughter of Elrond

Those have to be the best photos I've seen of you yet. The setting is perfect, especially with the blossoming tree.

~ Arwen.
maura labingi
Posted: Apr 22 2008, 02:45 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

I agree! Those are wonderful pics, Gandalf the Grey!
Thanks for sharing them with us!
-Debbie/primmy
:tree:
Awelyn
Posted: Apr 24 2008, 02:38 AM

Shire Wizard

Wonderful pictures. Oh I can hardly wait to be there myself. Thank you Gandalf the Grey :village: Oh btw Meli is having computer trouble that is why she has not been here in a while.
maura labingi
Posted: Apr 24 2008, 11:31 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Just in!
TORn announces that Del Toro to Direct Hobbit Films!
Both of them!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04/24...t-hobbit-films/

The Hobbit is finally happening!

-Debbie/primmy
Awelyn
Posted: Apr 25 2008, 01:48 AM

Shire Wizard

Oh how wonderful. Finally is all I can say and I was a little worried it was not going to happen.Thanks primmy you made my day.
maura labingi
Posted: Apr 25 2008, 04:39 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

You're welcome!
I'm tickled I got to be the first to share that news here!
--Debbie/primmy
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Apr 25 2008, 04:55 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Gramma over at TORn is so good at pointing out the subtle (( and not so subtle )) correllations between dates in Middle-earth history and our dates.

April 25th is the day that Gandalf first came knocking on Bilbo's door, and was "good morninged as if (he) were selling buttons in the doorway".

When the announcement was made yesterday, it was April 25th in New Zealand :)
maura labingi
Posted: Apr 25 2008, 05:02 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

That is so cool! You're right, GBD is good at that, the significance of the date didn't occur to me at all! I find it delightful that Del Toro wanted to make his announcement about "The Hobbit" on that particular day, it sounds like he is as much in love with the story as we are! Its a good sign!
-Debbie/primmy
gandalf the grey
Posted: May 13 2008, 02:20 PM

Wandering Wizard

(Posted Image)

We are delighted to announce that Kate Brown will be singing at our Hall of Fire on Friday night. Kate is a noted singer of exceptional quality and her fair voice will carry you away to places far and beautiful. See more about her on our guest page.

:Palantir: http://www.alongexpectedparty.org/guests%20page.htm
maura labingi
Posted: May 13 2008, 06:23 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Wow, that is wonderful news, Gandalf the Grey!
The Hall of Fire will be even more memorable with the addition of Kate Brown, I'm sure!
Thanks for posting her link, also!
-Debbie/primmy
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: May 19 2008, 03:01 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

We are now on the front page of TheOneRing.net for the time being.

My news update was finally posted -- alas, JP, they took out my blurb about the trivia contest, I am sorry.

:lotr_gandalf: The link. Look quickly!

:Palantir: http://www.theonering.net/
Frodo
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 05:18 AM

Frodo Baggins

I have now updated the rooms page to show which rooms have been reserved and which ones are still available. As we have mentioned elsewhere the ultimate capacity for the party is the room space. Once all the rooms are full then we will have to stop accepting registrations so hurry up and reserve your rooms if you haven't already!

Link to Rooms Page

At your service.

gandalf the grey
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 02:54 PM

Wandering Wizard

:ghost: Possible ghost activity

Bilbo and I were at the village this weekend on party business. While there I took a picture of one of the rooms, in fact, this is the actual room where I will be staying. Do you notice anything in the middle of the picture? You have my word that I have not altered the picture in any way. If I had to guess, I might say it looked like a figure holding a basket? You be the judge. Needless to say we noticed nothing while there although Bilbo noted later that he had a feeling of loneliness.

(Posted Image)

Undomiel
Posted: Jun 2 2008, 09:00 PM

Daughter of Elrond

There also seems to be something in the very bottom right of the picture, close to the chair. Interesting...

~ Arwen.
gandalf the grey
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 12:15 AM

Wandering Wizard

Greetings all,

Here is a first-glimpse at the Bag End to be built for our party. This is but a miniature, or course, but I wouldn’t want to show you the real one. You have to go to Hobbiton to see that.

:bag end: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gandalf_the_g...57605475526923/

Awelyn
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 12:51 AM

Shire Wizard

Gandalf the grey that is wonderful. It was just fantastic. Great job. :bag end:
Awelyn
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 12:52 AM

Shire Wizard

Frodo, we talked before about teeshirts for ALEP. Are we still going to do that?
Undomiel
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 01:58 AM

Daughter of Elrond

That looks wonderful, Gandalf!

~ Arwen.
Frodo
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 03:24 AM

Frodo Baggins

QUOTE (Bramblerose @ Jun 6 2008, 08:52 PM)
Frodo, we talked before about teeshirts for ALEP. Are we still going to do that?

I am certain it will happen, but I'm not sure if they will be available before the party or at the event only.

maura labingi
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 04:52 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

First of all, that photo with a ghostly image in it is amazing! It really does look like a basket with possibly eggs in it down near the bottom of the photo, and the more vaguely-defined shapes of arms holding it! Wowee, this could be the first time I get to experience an encounter with the other side of reality!
Secondly, those views of mini-Bag End are just so charming! I am so excited to think you're planning to recreate it full-sized at ALEP!! I can't wait to see it!
(bouncing on toes with excitement!)
Thirdly: Yay for T-shirts!
-Debbie/primmy
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Jun 8 2008, 06:15 AM

Rachel says it's just dust.
Was there a window behind you when you took the photo?
Maybe it's just a reflection. SV spook
pattibaggins
Posted: Jun 9 2008, 04:45 PM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 96

Gandalf, the little Bag End is wonderful; the Hobbit in me feels right at home just looking at it! Can't wait to see the full size version.

And Frodo, it's good to know there will be T-shirts for the Party. I pretty much live in T-shirts, and am always looking for new Tolkien-themed ones to wear. Thanks!

Patti
Frodo
Posted: Jun 14 2008, 03:40 AM

Frodo Baggins

A few names have been added to the attendees list on the web site.

pattibaggins
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 04:15 PM

Shire Wizard

So, how many of us are now registered, Frodo?

Patti
Frodo
Posted: Jun 19 2008, 09:06 AM

Frodo Baggins

QUOTE (pattibaggins @ Jun 16 2008, 12:15 PM)
So, how many of us are now registered, Frodo?

Patti

We have 130 registered attendees, with only a few who haven't paid their $85 deposit.
However quite a few have already paid the full registration fee.

There are however only 14 rooms left at the village with bed space for 32 hobbits.

When those 14 rooms are reserved anyone who has registered but not reserved a room will have to share space with someone who already has so hurry up and contact Ann Voris at the village to reserve your room.

If you wish to share a room with someone don't hesitate to use the Room Mates thread to communicate your needs.
If anyone has space to share don't hesitate and post in the thread. It will be a great occasion to make new friends.

Pearl Took
  Posted: Jun 20 2008, 07:16 PM

Pearl Took

Member No.: 66

This is all sounding so delightful!! :) I've not been on here much but am planning to be on more as the date of the party draws nearer.
gandalf the grey
Posted: Jul 17 2008, 12:46 PM

Wandering Wizard

:bell: NEWS FLASH :bell:

The spies of Sauron have infiltrated the secret ALEP ‘Weta’ workshop and taken a shot of Bag End at some point in its construction! The evil Paparazzi shot appeared in newspapers across the shire and gave hobbits their first glimpse of the dwelling of Bilbo & Frodo Baggins which has been kept a strict secret by the estate of Baggins.

(Posted Image)
Supposed picture of Bilbo standing in the door of Bag End

Bilbo was interviewed and will neither confirm nor deny the authenticity of the photo and dismissed it as a simple ‘trick of the enemy’.

JeffBo
Posted: Jul 17 2008, 02:04 PM

Shire Scholar

Member No.: 88

Ooooo, those dang paparazzis! :sauron:
maura labingi
Posted: Jul 17 2008, 02:45 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

THAT is freakin' awesome!!
You guys rule!!!
-Debbie/primmy
(bouncing on toes with excitement!)
pattibaggins
Posted: Jul 18 2008, 04:40 PM

Shire Wizard

Ooooh! Can't wait to be there and get pictures! This'll be good as :coin bag: , as marvelous as :mushroom: , as tasty as a cool :tankard: , as welcoming as :bilbo smoke: ! Primmy is right: you folks rock!!

Patti

Frodo
Posted: Jul 28 2008, 12:09 PM

Frodo Baggins

My sincere apologies, but there was a technical glitch in renewing the alongexpectedparty.org domain name which has now been fixed but will take a few hours to propagate through the internet DNS servers. The site should be accessible at most in a few hours.

Lewie
Posted: Jul 28 2008, 03:44 PM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 49

I'm having no problem viewing the site... looks like it's up now. :Palantir:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 1 2008, 03:59 AM

Wandering Wizard

Possible Ranger meeting site found
:pen & paper:
There have been many sightings by hobbits both on the border and even as far in as Hobbiton of ‘big folk’ dressed in woodland colors roaming about the forest. Locals have also reported seeing fires spring up at night in the distance, but if investigated, the fires go out and there is no trace of anything to be found the next day.
However, Everard Took and his brother were playing in the fields just south of the Bingbole Woods yesterday and happened upon a strange ring of stones that contained the remains of a sizeable fire. Once reported, the bounders and sheriffs of Hobbiton inspected the scene. No clear conclusion could be made as the purpose of the ring or who its builders may have been, but the general consensus in the Inns and taverns is that it is the work of the mysterious big folk ~ rangers as they are called in Bree, but what exactly they are up to none can say.

(Posted Image)
The mysterious ring of stones found in the North Fields
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Aug 4 2008, 07:45 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Shaker Village Shoe Policy:

Forestchild asked below if there was a shoe requirement for Shaker Village.

Dear Bilbo has been corresponding with the keepers of the Village today, and these are their words on the subject:

" I don’t think we have a “shoes” policy, but for safety reasons, I would suggest some sort of slippers/sandals or something to be worn at all times. It would probably be best if everyone had something on their feet. Otherwise, there would be a chance of stepping on something, or getting their feet injured somehow, and we just don’t want anyone to take that risk.

Since the guest rooms and public areas don’t have carpeting, but are wooden floors, I would be more comfortable with shoes of some sort, even inside.

I just wouldn’t want anyone to get a splinter or step on a sharp object of some sort."

So, there is the answer about the Shoes policy. Nothing concrete, in their rules at least, but they would prefer something with soles at all times.
Forestchild
Posted: Aug 5 2008, 01:08 PM

Shire Wizard

Thank you for looking into it. While I do prefer to be barefooted, I do understand the concern and will make appropriate plans for footwear. As I cannot stand flip-flops, I will try to come across a hobbitish shoe of some kind.

Thank you again.

-Forestchild-
:tree: :hobbit lass:
Neume
Posted: Aug 7 2008, 11:45 PM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Jul 31 2008, 10:59 PM)
Possible Ranger meeting site found
:pen & paper:
There have been many sightings by hobbits both on the border and even as far in as Hobbiton of ‘big folk’ dressed in woodland colors roaming about the forest. Locals have also reported seeing fires spring up at night in the distance, but if investigated, the fires go out and there is no trace of anything to be found the next day.
However, Everard Took and his brother were playing in the fields just south of the Bingbole Woods yesterday and happened upon a strange ring of stones that contained the remains of a sizeable fire. Once reported, the bounders and sheriffs of Hobbiton inspected the scene. No clear conclusion could be made as the purpose of the ring or who its builders may have been, but the general consensus in the Inns and taverns is that it is the work of the mysterious big folk ~ rangers as they are called in Bree, but what exactly they are up to none can say.

(Posted Image)
The mysterious ring of stones found in the North Fields

Ah, I love your stories Gandalf! I hold the Rangers of the North near and dear to my heart and my hope is to meet several in our own little corner of the Shire.

This ring of stone looks like a very good place to explore and I just can't wait to do so!
:faramireowyn:
Neume
gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 9 2008, 10:52 AM

Wandering Wizard

Mystery at the Mathom House

(Posted Image)
An undated picture of the Old Catapult

Something is stirring in the Shire! The Mayor of Michel Delving pulled the old catapult from the Mathom House and hobbits have been seen tinkering with it as if to get it ready for action! Is the Shire under attack? Some speculate that there have been queer happenings going on in the Old Forest again and Bounders have been seen patrolling the borders of it recently. The mayor could not be reached for comment (In fact, he refused to come out of the Town Hole and would only peer out of a small window when the bell was rang until a shirriff arrived and politely ‘dismissed’ reporters).
The origins of the Old Catapult itself are a mystery; It was not built by hobbits (or so they say) and its original use is said to have been during the Battle of Greenfields to repel Orcs. Some say it was a gift of the dwarves and was made hobbit-size. This may have something to do with that strange Mr. Bilbo Baggins and his doings with them sometime back.
The last official use of the Old Catapult was to toss a stone with a rope tied to it over The Water to make a ferry crossing (it took three tries; the first shot fell short and soaked spectators standing nearby, the second successfully hit the far bank but rolled back into the river).

We’ll keep you posted…
Ladyhawk Baggins
Posted: Aug 9 2008, 04:39 PM

Lore-Master

Member No.: 56

Oh, dear... catapult? Is it truly safe to come to the Shire, after all? :unsure:
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Aug 13 2008, 01:20 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

You know, it's not every day that a roving Rohan reporter gets to stumble upon something so wonderful.

I got to see something that I thought was amazing just in pictures - but seeing it up close and in person just brought it home to my heart. I have had my doubts about things in the past, but no more.

I was lucky enough to travel to Kentucky night before last, and spent yesterday in the company of Gandalf and Bilbo while work progressed on Bag End. And let me tell you, as Gandalf had told me in the past, the pictures do not do it justice. Just to be there in the workshop and see all of the love, dedication, and countless hours that have been poured into this makes you realize just how much is going into this Party. So much more than anyone will ever see or know about.

The bricks were placed around the door of Bag End last night, and the wood frame was added around the circular door. We had to leave it lying flat on the floor in order to let everything dry, but here is just a taste of the mason work that Mr. Baggins was able to accomplish in a relatively short span of time.

(Posted Image)
A study of the stone work upon the face of Bag End.
gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 21 2008, 03:32 AM

Wandering Wizard

Mad Baggins ~ Hobbit or Hermit?

Bilbo Baggins has taken to locking himself in his home, and refuses to come out when the doorbell is rang. Ever since the date of his and Frodo’s birthday party was announced, and is now drawing near, he has been very secretive. The only folk seen coming and going from Bag End are mysterious dwarves who speak to none, and his adopted heir, Frodo, who we tracked down at a local tavern, but he also refused to comment and only sipped on his ale in silence.

(Posted Image)

We managed to snap a picture (after waiting outside all night) of the master of Bag End when he walked by a window. It is the first time anyone has seen him in weeks, and we suspect he is quite busy, but what exactly with, no one knows.

(Posted Image)

More later…
Ladyhawk Baggins
Posted: Aug 21 2008, 06:26 PM

Lore-Master

Curiouser and curiouser....
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Aug 22 2008, 08:18 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Master armor maker and Party guest Michael Cook has debuted a piece from his new Elven Sylvatari Armor, to be worn hopefully for the first time at DragonCon next weekend.

Here is a picture of himself in the Maille shirt, and a link to his LJ entry about the costume (( With more pics included )) can be seen below the picture.

(Posted Image)

http://studio-kensai.livejournal.com/3407.html
GilGalad
Posted: Aug 23 2008, 10:30 PM

Samwise Gamgee

Member No.: 139

I have added another short news story on this excellent adventure at the Council of Elrond see it here.

Council of Elrond

Also, hello to all my fellow Council of Elrond members, as well as all of the Party attendees/staff!
gandalf the grey
Posted: Aug 23 2008, 11:53 PM

Wandering Wizard

Thank you for posting that. Check out the Council of Elrond home page if you have not seen it. It is a well designed site, I think.

p.s. Mike's craft is getting better and better. I look forward to seeing what he comes up with in the future.
Frodo
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 05:53 PM

Frodo Baggins

I have just been informed that Gandalf the Grey is in the hospital with Appendicitis. He will be having surgery later today, and will probably be home late tonight. Everything is now under control, but my heart skipped a few beats when I got the news. Please keep him in your thoughts for the next few days.

I guess wizards aren't immune to having body parts fail on you, though you'd think the appendix would have been gone a long time ago, since he is over 3000 years old after all...

Frodo Baggins

:frodo: :lotr_gandalf: :bilbo: :healing potion: :mortar & pestle
Frodo
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 06:10 PM

Frodo Baggins

There are still rooms left at Shaker Village, as some people have consolidated and freed up a few rooms. If you have a room reservation or able to share one we are still taking registrations through the web site. If however someone registers without having a place to stay their registration will be canceled and their fee returned or not accepted though PayPal.

We should have the day passes up on the web site as well as a fairly complete schedule up in a day or so.

All of you who have not done so, if you have information on your travel plans, aproximate arrival times, flight information, and the like, please sent it to us as it will help fine-tune the bus schedule as well as welcoming arrangements.

At your service,
Frodo Baggins

whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 07:20 PM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

We have been informed by one Odo Proudfoot that our dear Gandalf is already in and out of surgery, and is in the Recovery room.

They will be keeping him until tomorrow for observation. The doctors informed Odo that it was indeed Acute Appendicitis, and that the surgery (( lapriscopic in nature, non-invasive )) went very well. Like Frodo, my heart skipped a few beats when I found out as well. JP sounds funny when he's all whacked out on drugs. :lol:

Frodo and I will be keeping you updated as we receive updates ourselves. Please continue to keep Gandalf in your thoughts and prayers.
Awelyn
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 07:54 PM

Shire Wizard

I will keep him in my prayers and I hope he has a quick recovery. :mortar & pestle
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 08:51 PM

JP sounds funny when he's all whacked out on drugs

Heck, JP sounds funny to me all the time! :lol:
You should bring him The Bra and videotape to see what he does with it. :rolleyes:

Feel better Soon, Mithrandir! :lotr_gandalf:
and take things easy. :tankard:
Ladyhawk Baggins
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 08:57 PM

Lore-Master

QUOTE (Bramblerose @ Sep 7 2008, 07:54 PM)
I will keep him in my prayers and I hope he has a quick recovery. :mortar & pestle

As will I! What an unexpected turn of events. Glad it all went well and hope he's feeling quite himself again for the party!
Ashlyn
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 11:14 PM

Shire Wizard

QUOTE (Bramblerose @ Sep 7 2008, 03:54 PM)

He will be in mine as well. Please convey our thoughts and prayers for his speedy recovery!!
:lotr_gandalf:
whiteladyeowyn
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 12:56 AM

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Just talked to the Wizard.. He is groggy, not feeling any pain I don't believe :lol:

He's doped to the gills. I got a few coherent words out of him, enough for him to thank everyone for the kind words here on the boards and thank Frodo and I for our original desire to drive all the way up there tonight to be there for him tomorrow, which Odo talked us out of.

But he knows the desire for us to do so was out of love and friendship, and he appreciated that.

I will call him again tomorrow and post an update then.
pattibaggins
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 04:10 PM

Shire Wizard

Oh, my! It is certainly good news to hear that Gandalf has passed through his surgery with no problems. What a nasty shock it must have been for him (as for all of us to hear about it), but at least he is feeling better now, by your reports, Frodo, Eowyn, and Odo. All our best wishes, hopes, and prayers, Gandalf, for a full and quick recovery.

Patti

Lady Aibreán
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 04:23 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 87

Wishing dear Gandalf swift healing! Thank you, friends, for the updates!
ShireScholar
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 05:53 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 138

Sorry to hear that Gandalf the Grey has been felled. Here's praying for a swift and full recovery.
:hobbit computer:
Shire Scholar
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 06:14 PM

Shire Wizard

Hope you're feeling better soon, Gandalf! And don't stop taking your pain meds too soon... Healing goes a lot faster when the patient isn't hurting.

Mellilot, RPh
:mortar & pestle
JeffBo
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 07:14 PM

Shire Scholar

Member No.: 88

HURRAY!!!! Gandalf LIVES!!! :lol: Let's hear it for the hands of a healer! Feel better soon, Old Chap. :lotr_gandalf: We have a party to attend, and I'm so looking forward to meeting you!

Cheers, :tankard:
JB
Neume
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 09:09 PM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

I joined you all in the heart beat skipping. I am so glad we found out about this after you all knew he was out of surgery and going to be allright.

Poor Gandalf, what a scary thing to have to go through. Your in my thoughts for a quick and painless healing. Keep taking those meds and take gentle care of yourself.
Neume :faramireowyn:
Neume
Posted: Sep 8 2008, 09:12 PM

Roving Shieldelfmaiden

QUOTE (Rosie_Cotton @ Sep 7 2008, 03:51 PM)

Heck, JP sounds funny to me all the time! :lol:
You should bring him The Bra and videotape to see what he does with it.

Wait a minute. You have video of Gandalf wearing a bra and haven't shared with me yet?? You know I would actually pay money to see that!
gandalf the grey
Posted: Sep 11 2008, 02:08 AM

Wandering Wizard

.: IMPORTANT :.

~ Light in dark times ~
:moon:
I have been checking my charts, and it will be a new moon on the weekend of the event, which means it will be quite dark; a new moon is the opposite of a full moon.
Now, the Village is out in the country, so you may need your own light source to get around with ~ depending on where you go ~ as it can get a little dark in places.
:lantern:
I regret that we cannot carry candle lanterns, or that is to say, a lantern with a candle in it for safety reasons concerning the village (it is a historic site and they greatly fear a fire), but any kind of electrical device is fine (for myself, I will have my staff, of course).
In the camping areas of most stores (Wal Mart) they have excellent battery-operated lanterns that work well and give off good light for a long time. I have several myself and will be bringing them ‘just in case’.
Now this: We will have lanterns on the tables in the event barn and Bilbo’s party area. Please leave these on the tables and don’t pick them up, play with them or carry them off at the request of the village. I had to go through fire and darkness to get them to let us have them at all, ha.

Write me if you have any questions, and thank you.

DaisyBaggins
Posted: Sep 12 2008, 02:04 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 134

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Sep 10 2008, 09:08 PM)

~ Light in dark times ~
:moon:

I'm always torn between looking like a total butt-kisser and giving praise where praise is due, but I think it's better to err on the side of looking like a butt-kisser...

Your--and other committee members'-- attention to detail is much admired & appreciated! I am so looking forward to witnessing it all first-hand. :)
pattibaggins
Posted: Sep 12 2008, 04:08 PM

Shire Wizard

Hear, hear, Daisy! Everyone involved in this event has been on top of everything, it seems, and the result will be a delightful time for all of us lucky visitors, no doubt about it. You can add my thanks to yours, Daisy. See you all very soon! :calendar:

Patti
Wrenthistle
Posted: Sep 12 2008, 09:18 PM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 124

I must agree... What a great deal of care and thought has gone into this adventure.

I've been perusing the Shaker Village site :bill: :apple: and cannot get over how lovely everything looks. With all the finishing touches on costuming :reading list: I had forgotten that this really is a vacation, a get-away to a kinder place.

:tree: so looking forward to our fellowship.

~Aggie
kukla
Posted: Sep 12 2008, 10:06 PM

Shire Scholar

Member No.: 85

Ah,well, I'll leave my new candle :lantern: at home. Somehow I am sure the nights will shine brightly anyway.
Nimblewill ~
gandalf the grey
Posted: Sep 14 2008, 04:14 AM

Wandering Wizard

:reading list: Things to Bring

(Posted Image)

Even though we will be providing drinking vessels during meals, it may be no bad idea to bring along one of your own, for who can say what might transpire.
GilGalad
Posted: Sep 15 2008, 09:16 PM

Samwise Gamgee

Member No.: 139

Does this include the oil lanterns? I am sure that it does, I was just curious.
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Sep 16 2008, 01:45 PM

Yes, this includes oil lanterns also. Nothing with a flame, unfortunately. :lantern: SV candle
Frodo
Posted: Sep 25 2008, 11:46 AM

Frodo Baggins

The time has come for the Long-Expected Party. We are now leaving this world and will be back on line after the party with tales, images, and memories to share.

See you in a few hours!

In fellowship
Frodo Baggins
gandalf the grey
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 11:12 AM

Wandering Wizard

News of the Black Rider :wraith:

I spoke to our 'Black Rider' am I am happy to report both she and her horse are fine. The horse has a couple of scratches and she has a bump on her head, but she said it is but one of many such falls she has taken and certainly not the worst. Bless her heart, she did far more charging around than was asked of her, but she said the choice was hers to charge off into the night like that, and we could stop fretting about it.
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Sep 30 2008, 05:40 PM

This is good to hear. I did not see the fall, only heard of it later, and I am glad all is well.

:apple: An apple for both of them. Noir (is that the horse's name?) was most impressive, I have never seen or been that close to such a huge horsie! Thanks to "The Black Rider" for her part in the Party. :apple:
Frodo
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 12:49 AM

Frodo Baggins

Good day gentle-hobbits,

I am glad everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves as much as I did. (yes, even with all the running around I managed to sneak in some quality "Shire" time)

This will be 4 days I will remember fondly for the rest of my life. You are all a wonderful group of people, true in spirit to Tolkien and a shining example of how good human beings can be when given the chance.

I wish to thank all who spontaneously offered their help, especially the two tall hobbits from Savannah, without them the party site would never have been ready in time. I also wish to note the particular efforts of WhiteLadyEowyn, without whom I would not have been there for this party.

There are plenty of others I wish to thank, but that would require a list that would have me kicked out of the Oscars ceremony if I was to read it there....

In the meantime it will be a gradual transition to the "muggle" world if you will pardon the use of a word from another fantasy world.

It was a pleasure meeting you all, and seeing old friends again. This time the parting was not quite so heart wrenching, since I am convince we will have other chances to meet again in the future.

In friendship and fellowship,
Daniel Gauthier "Frodo Baggins"
Elizabeth Elensar
Posted: Oct 1 2008, 05:31 AM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 147

:village: We from Savannah are back in the "real world", although we know where that place truly is...

The two tall Hobbits, Sam and Pippin are reluctant to finish their schooling as it is not as educational as the panels this weekend. But I will prevail.

Thank you to all who with endless patience educated me on all things Tolkien. I am inspired to delve deep into Middle Earth and Stephen "Sam" has been looking at me funny since we returned, he says he trying to decide who I am in Middle Earth. As I picked up another child (I am a collector of children), an elf daughter to be exact, this weekend, he is thinking along the lines of elves.....

I have pictures that I am sure will be added quite soon by the boys. Their memories of this weekend and the tremendous love that they received from all will last their lifetime.
So many treated them as their own and for that I am truly grateful.

I will probably see you all at Dragon Con in Atlanta next summer. The boys are already planning their costumes and mine and my little girls, who I will not leave behind next time. I guess I should find out what Dragon Con is soon, not that it matters, it seems the boys have decided that I will be there!!

My loves grow to touch the sky, taking me in their shadow..

Paige
pattibaggins
Posted: Oct 2 2008, 04:59 PM

Shire Wizard

Well, hello all! It's a bit of a letdown having had to leave the Shire for the larger world outside, but no doubt we are all being sustained by our memories of the wonderful time we had at ALEP.

I had not heard about the fall the Rider took until after the party, and am relieved that she was not hurt. Her ride in the darkening night was a delightfully scary surprise!

Paige, I must say it was a joy to meet your young men. They captured the essence of what I have always thought hobbits would be: generous, giving, helpful, polite, considerate, kind, and full of delight in simply being alive. You have done a wonderful job raising them! Their presence helped make the weekend the success it most certainly was. Please say hello to them for me, and everyone else who enjoyed the benefit of their company (which includes pretty much all of us who were there).

While I have never been to DragonCon, from what I've read it is a lot of fun. You will probably have a fine time, by all accounts. And you will probably be surprised (or maybe not, after this weekend) at just how much depth there is to discover in Middle-earth. It's a world that is every bit as real for many of us as the one we live in, and one that is capable of giving us back a sense of hope in the essential power of good. Have fun exploring!

Eowyn, we didn't talk much at ALEP, but that was because you were always so busy. You gave a lot of yourself, and the weekend was enriched by your efforts. You are a delightful woman, and I am glad to have had the chance to meet you, if only briefly. Thank you, very much indeed!

And kudos, too, to Bilbo and Gandalf. I cannot tell you all enough what a marvelous time we all had, due to your hard work. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!

On Sunday evening, during the Middle-earth Cinema, Frodo (who also seemed to be always busy throughout the event) called ALEP a sort of family reunion. To those few of us who had not yet begun our journeys homeward, it seemed a most appropriate description. And like Frodo, I am sure we will all get together again in the future, and I look forward to many more conversations and shared memories and activities with you all.

Until then, peace, harmony, and joy to us all, and to the worlds we know. May the Shire live forever unwithered!

Patti
Posted: Oct 4 2008, 05:06 PM

Shire Wizard

QUOTE (Elizabeth Elensar @ Oct 1 2008, 12:31 AM)
:village: We from Savannah are back in the "real world", although we know where that place truly is...

The two tall Hobbits, Sam and Pippin are reluctant to finish their schooling as it is not as educational as the panels this weekend. But I will prevail.

Four days of living in the Shire -- what a field trip! No wonder it's hard to get back in to the routine of daily schoolwork. Maybe all future writing assignments could be tailored to fit topics pertaining to the Shire....... :pen & paper:

Melilot/Jo Lynne (with an e), hobbit in homeschool recovery for three years, but still thinks about planning curriculum, whether she needs to or not :hobbit lass:
Frodo
Posted: Oct 6 2008, 08:09 AM

Frodo Baggins

Just a 'little' note to say that if you messaged me, please be patient as I got the computer running again only today, I arrived home yesterday evening.

I will do a final update of the web site in a few days to correct a few errors, among them to list accurately (I hope!) the list of attendees who were actually there.

We wish to keep this forum going, so that we may have a common place to meet and talk about the experiences we have been through, and will go through in the future.

I also wish to find a way to save all the postings made on this message board, and make it accessible in some fashion through the web site so that if this board does go up and looses its data we still will not loose these conversations, which are important in their own right.

The web site will be kept going as long as possible, at the very least for the next few years. I have a little project in mind to do a mirror site which will show what actually happened, using images and video I will collect from all of you - with your permission of course!

I have been collecting links to pictures but it is becoming difficult to keep track of so I will ask a favor of all of you. Please email me the original size photo and video files of what images you took and I will put them all on the web site directly for us to share. If the files are too big for email upload them to a site such as http:///www.yousendit.com and send me the link. Of course do this only with the images you wish to share with all your fellow hobbits. I have created an email account for that purpose called
memories (at) alongexpectedparty.org

There will be a locked section of the web site only registered attendees will have access to for downloading the original files but I will make available to everyone lower resolution versions according to the requests or wishes of the persons submitting the images.

The last project is something I have already talked about. I wish to use some of those images to create a 2009 ALEP calendar so we can be reminded of the great time we had together as well as have a good reason to let our partners put ALEP pics up on the wall... I have already started working on it and hope to have it done in 4 to 5 weeks at the most.
jennyp221
Posted: Oct 10 2008, 02:49 AM

Innkeeper

Member No.: 63

QUOTE (Frodo @ Oct 6 2008, 08:09 AM)
The last project is something I have already talked about. I wish to use some of those images to create a 2009 ALEP calendar so we can be reminded of the great time we had together as well as have a good reason to let our partners put ALEP pics up on the wall... I have already started working on it and hope to have it done in 4 to 5 weeks at the most.

Frodo, you speak of making a calendar with pictures from this years party. Will these calendars be available for purchase? If so, how do I go about getting one (when they are finished, of course.)

I think that having a calendar of the event would be a wonderful keepsake, something to treasure well past the year 2009.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me... :)
Frodo
Posted: Oct 10 2008, 03:16 AM

Frodo Baggins

QUOTE (jennyp221 @ Oct 9 2008, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (Frodo @ Oct 6 2008, 08:09 AM)

Frodo, you speak of making a calendar with pictures from this years party. Will these calendars be available for purchase? If so, how do I go about getting one (when they are finished, of course.)

I think that having a calendar of the event would be a wonderful keepsake, something to treasure well past the year 2009.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me... :)

At the moment I haven't the foggiest idea on what to do with the calendar. A lot depends on if we have another ALEP, it could be a way of getting seed money for some of the expenses. I am starting to work on it this weekend but will decide along with the others of the ALEP staff what we should charge for it (if at all beyond the actual printing and mailing costs).

ALEP wasn't a money making thing and when we review the finances hopefully we'll have something left for charity like we wished, possibly the money from the calendars could go towards that as well. You know now as much as I do at this point.

I will post here as soon as I know more.
Alassea
Posted: Oct 10 2008, 06:40 AM

Shire Settler

Member No.: 23

Yes! a calendar! then we can see pictures of our special time together all day long all year long. I too have spent some time trying to think of ideas to generate money to help pay for things for the next one. And for this one, if any financial overage has occurred.
Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Oct 10 2008, 12:39 PM

I'd like to see a "Men (and Wizards and Elves and Hobbits and Dwarves) of Middle Earth" calendar. Something tasteful, posing with swords, axes, bows & arrows, picking apples, chainmail thongs, man-flesh. :wub:
MithLuin
Posted: Oct 10 2008, 07:49 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 61

Uh, Rosie, you do realize that maille is see-through, right? Especially in pictures. So, ummm, some sort of cloth would definitely be necessary... at the very least, out of consideration for the guy wearing it! <insert your own nethers joke here>

But hopefully you've at least given Frodo an idea for one page of the calendar - a 'Men of Middle Earth' montage could be quite amusing (and yet rated G...).
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 12:16 AM

Wandering Wizard

:calendar: Just fiddilin' around...

(Posted Image)

gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 12:52 AM

Wandering Wizard

...and another idea for a page...

(Posted Image)

Posted: Oct 11 2008, 01:33 AM

Shire Wizard

:calendar: : ALEP :
Yay for just fiddling around with the calendar concept! Why, with as many photos of ALEP that have been posted, one could even come up with a Page A Day calendar!! :wub:

Just kidding. Mostly. ;)

:hobbit lass: Melilot, who has a weakness for theme calendars...
Forestchild
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 01:40 AM

Shire Wizard

Definitely liking this calendar idea. Lots of interest in purchaing.

-Forestchild-
:tree: :hobbit lass:
jennyp221
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 01:58 AM

Innkeeper

QUOTE (Rosie_Cotton @ Oct 10 2008, 12:39 PM)
I'd like to see a "Men (and Wizards and Elves and Hobbits and Dwarves) of Middle Earth" calendar.  Something tasteful, posing with swords, axes, bows & arrows, picking apples, chainmail thongs, man-flesh.    :wub:

I like the way you think Rosie! ;)

All kidding aside, I think the idea of a calendar would be a great idea do generate money for the next event, or for a charity, as Frodo suggested.
Frodo
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 03:16 AM

Frodo Baggins

QUOTE (Melilot Fields from Deephallow @ Oct 10 2008, 09:33 PM)
:calendar: : ALEP :
Yay for just fiddling around with the calendar concept! Why, with as many photos of ALEP that have been posted, one could even come up with a Page A Day calendar!! :wub:

Just kidding. Mostly. ;)

:hobbit lass: Melilot, who has a weakness for theme calendars...

Maybe not a daily one, but a weekly one may not be out of the question. The first version though shall be a monthly one.

dora_took
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 03:42 AM

Dora Took

QUOTE (MithLuin @ Oct 10 2008, 02:49 PM)
Uh, Rosie, you do realize that maille is see-through, right?  Especially in pictures.  So, ummm, some sort of cloth would definitely be necessary...  at the very least, out of consideration for the guy wearing it!  <insert your own nethers joke here>

But that would take the fun out of it! did you see her birthday pic? Sure she knows maille is see through :rolleyes: :lol: I suspect that was the entire idea. :lol: :lol: and of course we'd need a pic of Michael and his nethers or something ;) :P :rolleyes:

dora_took
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 03:46 AM

Dora Took

Wow, Gandalf, those are lovely! I'm very flattered to be considered for September, but wouldn't a pic of Bilbo either in front of Bag End or on stage be more appropriate? (I'd happily settle for a different month :P ;) )

Lady Aibreán
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 06:37 AM

Old Took

Love it! :)

(Thanks again, Dora, for posing with me!)
gandalf the grey
Posted: Oct 11 2008, 12:07 PM

Wandering Wizard

QUOTE (dora_took @ Oct 10 2008, 11:46 PM)
Wow, Gandalf, those are lovely! I'm very flattered to be considered for September, but wouldn't a pic of Bilbo either in front of Bag End or on stage be more appropriate? (I'd happily settle for a different month :P ;) )

It would, but that's simply a 'what if' pic, and I just love that pic of you two ladies. The color and everything is perfect. It would make really make a god pic for a spring month like March or April. There were so many wonderful pictures taken, and I never had the chance to take my digital camera or cam recorder out once, ha. I believe Eowyn did use one, however.

Awelyn
Posted: Oct 12 2008, 06:56 PM

Shire Wizard

Oh, I love the calendar idea I would buy one in a heart beat. :calendar:
Frodo
Posted: Oct 12 2008, 07:18 PM

Frodo Baggins

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Oct 11 2008, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (dora_took @ Oct 10 2008, 11:46 PM)
Wow, Gandalf, those are lovely! I'm very flattered to be considered for September, but wouldn't a pic of Bilbo either in front of Bag End or on stage be more appropriate? (I'd happily settle for a different month  :P  ;)  )

-Dora Took  :hobbit lass:  :sewing:

It would, but that's simply a 'what if' pic, and I just love that pic of you two ladies. The color and everything is perfect. It would make really make a god pic for a spring month like March or April. There were so many wonderful pictures taken, and I never had the chance to take my digital camera or cam recorder out once, ha. I believe Eowyn did use one, however.

So Gandalf, you have made it easy for me, that pic will be the one for April (not the only one of course, I find it too limiting to use a single pic per month, but the major one). If that pic is not from Morrigan's album (I have all the originals on my hard disk) can the one who took it send me the original at the highest resolution? I want this calendar do be as good as the actual Tolkien ones in quality...
ffiddleleaf
Posted: Oct 12 2008, 11:28 PM

New to the Shire

Member No.: 157

Trying again to send the link to my pictures at Photobucket. Do we have an official repository to post them all collectively?

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/m...EP%20of%20Fern/

MithLuin
Posted: Oct 13 2008, 12:16 AM

Old Took

Member No.: 61

Yes; the group photobucket is here:

http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/alongexpectedparty/

The username is: alongexpectedparty
and the password is: alep2008

You may add your pictures there, or just post this link in the 'What an Awesome Party!' thread.

Frodo also requested that people e-mail him their pictures directly to memories (at) alongexpectedparty.org , so he can try to add them to the main site. Of course, that would only be for pictures that you want to make public to anyone to view.
Lady Aibreán
Posted: Oct 13 2008, 03:21 AM

Old Took

Frodo, that pic was one of mine... I'll send it on!
dora_took
Posted: Oct 14 2008, 12:30 AM

Dora Took

QUOTE (Lady Aibreán @ Oct 11 2008, 01:37 AM)
Love it! :)

(Thanks again, Dora, for posing with me!)

My pleasure! :lol: :lol: and it IS a beautiful hat. :)

-Dora Took (just back from Rivendell. why do I have to live in the swamps?) :hobbit lass: :sewing:
gandalf the grey
Posted: Nov 25 2008, 05:24 AM

Wandering Wizard

.: The Quiet Companions :.

In looking back at the many notes and various things written here, it has not occurred to me that two members of our party who greatly helped organize have gone largely unnoticed.

:frodo: Maura Labingi

Many of you may know Maura as Debbie or ‘the other Frodo’. I met her at the Gathering in ’06 in Toronto and instantly recognized her as a kindred spirit in Tolkien (and was quite impressed with her costume as well). She comes from a group in California called Tolkien Forever.

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tolkien_Forever/

It was she who was our west coast contact and spread the word of our event to those there. She did a mighty job, for to come from there has a considerable price tag attached, yet we had a strong contingent from our brothers and sisters from the west. They in and of themselves were a force to be reckoned with!
Maura did not stop there however, she had a great many suggestions and helpful tips on how to run an event as she had ran many herself. She also produced one of Bilbo’s party signs and a Pippin standee (which, to my deep regret, was not used due to time and other factors, but perhaps I should say it has not been used yet!) and they are both works of art in their own right. She also did excellent design work for the event and her work is on the ALEP mugs (one of which reside in my study).
She ever offered a helping hand and is truly one of the unsung heroes of the event and a good friend I have been blessed with to have met.

Thank you for all that you did.

:rosie: Rosie Cotton

Maggie, our resident Rosie at the party helped more than any will ever know. Great were her deeds before the party in many matters I will not speak of here, but they helped the ALEP cause to an extent I am only now beginning to realize.
Unselfish and giving, she went well beyond what was ever asked of her and came to be a major force in organizing many things both before, during and after the event.
Many of the things you enjoyed at the party, such as the bards, you can thank Rosie for. In truth, I myself have no idea the full extent of service she offered at the event, but I am certain we would have dearly missed it had she not been there.
On a lesser note, she was also the only hobbit there I remember to have a fill of pipe weed with an old wizard!

Thank you Rosie! :tankard:

There are many other who gave of their time to help with the many tasks involved with such an event. Our event would have come to a swift and tragic end had it not been for you and I thank you.

dora_took
Posted: Nov 25 2008, 02:37 PM

Dora Took

yup, they both did great work! And Debbie made a wonderful Pippin standee target - even if we didn't get to use your catapult to lob apples at it!

Rosie was always there looking for ways to help!

Rosie_Cotton
Posted: Nov 25 2008, 06:49 PM

QUOTE (gandalf the grey @ Nov 25 2008, 12:24 AM)
Thank you Rosie! :tankard:

(Posted Image)

Gee Gandalf, you're making this old middle-aged Hobbit blush!

Very happy to help. Only wish we could go back in time and do it all over again! :P

and thank you for sharing your pipeweed. I finally got to smoke and look at the stars in front of bag End. Magical.

:bilbo smoke:
maura labingi
Posted: Nov 26 2008, 10:58 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Thanks, that's very nice of you guys; I was happy to help!
-Debbie/primmy
gandalf the grey
Posted: Dec 23 2008, 11:40 PM

Wandering Wizard

jennyp221
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 01:19 AM

Innkeeper

Merry Christmas to all!!!! :christmas lad: :christmas lass:
maura labingi
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 01:46 AM

uke & flute-playin' fool

What a cute Christmas card, Gandalf! (A wizard of many talents, he is.) And a very Happy Holiday to you and yours, and to you, jennyp, and everyone at ALEP, and new friends as well!
-Debbie/primmy
Awelyn
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 05:28 AM

Shire Wizard

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ALEP staff. :christmas wizard: :christmas lad: :christmas lass: :bell:
ShireScholar
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 03:11 PM

Old Took

Member No.: 138

A very cool Yule to all who are snowed under! But yes, indeed a lovely wizardly card!
Merry Christmas from Shire Scholar and her mommy! :lol:

:christmas lad: :hobbit computer:
Everon_Gamgee
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 03:18 PM

Everon_Gamgee

Member No.: 167

:christmas lad: Wishing every one a Christmas as merry as a field full of dancing Hobbits and hoping that we may all be truly blessed with a New Year filled with the values that we found in such rich abundance at ALEP; Fellowship, Harmony, Love, Laughter and Peace. :christmas wizard:
maura labingi
Posted: Dec 24 2008, 04:10 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

And to you as well, Everon. I will always carry a picture in my mind of that evening, the Party Fields full of dancing hobbits and getting to be one of them, for many Yules to come.
Happy Holidays, and a very Happy New Year to us all.
-Debbie/primmy
nautika
Posted: Dec 25 2008, 02:43 AM

Shire Wizard

Member No.: 100

Beautiful card!

May each and every one of you have a safe, healthy and happy Christmas!
Rhyselle
Posted: Dec 25 2008, 03:15 PM

Shire Scholar

Member No.: 144

What a lovely card, Gandalf! Thank you very much!

My family and I wish all of you

a Blessed Yule, a Merry Christmas, and a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

With love and friendship,
Rhyselle

:hobbit window: :christmas lad: :christmas wizard:
maura labingi
Posted: Dec 25 2008, 04:45 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

And the same to you, Rhyselle! Let's all keep our fingers crossed for the best New Year possible!
-Debbie/primmy
Ashlyn
Posted: Dec 25 2008, 08:16 PM

Shire Wizard

May everyone have a Most Wonderous and Merry Christmas!

:hobbit window: :christmas wizard: :christmas lad: :christmas lass: :teacup: :cookie plate:
Awelyn
Posted: Dec 26 2008, 02:30 AM

Shire Wizard

And you to Ashlyn :christmas lass: :christmas lad: :christmas wizard: :gift: :bell: :grouphug:
pattibaggins
Posted: Dec 29 2008, 05:00 PM

Shire Wizard

I hope everyone had a joy-filled Yule and Christmas, and wish us all a very Happy New Year, too! :christmas lass:

Peace,

Patti
maura labingi
Posted: Dec 29 2008, 05:56 PM

uke & flute-playin' fool

Best wishes to you and yours, Patti, and to all our ALEP friends and fellow Tolkien fans all over the world. I did have a lovely Christmas, and look forward to a fun New Year as well, "the Valar willing"!
in Fellowship,
-Debbie/primmy
dora_took
Posted: Dec 30 2008, 01:01 AM

Dora Took

Yes, Patti - and to you too! Best wishes for a great New Year!! (I'm awful at holiday cards :unsure: )

-Dora Took :hobbit lass: :fireplace: :sewing:
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1583 seconds · Archive